3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

L.A. Noire

15 hours ago, gtaw1ngz57 said:

Actually typical. This pissed me off when you were supposed to use the 20k check as evidence rather than the blackmail clue

Ya, that one tripped me up too.

• 3 weeks later...
GhettoJesus
5 hours ago, STNeish said:

Anyone know how to take a screenshot?  I tried Print Screen, but all I get is black.

You should set the game to borderless in the launcher. At least I think that's a feature because I could take screenshots easily with print screen. If nothing works try Steam's screenshot feature if you have the game via Steam. If not then you still have Nvidia Ansel I guess.

On another note, I have been replaying L.A. Noire again and in the hit and run case I discovered that Leroy is standing in the back before the final confrontation.

unknown.png

Edited by GhettoJesus

Just finished the Homicide desk story.  I was really into that.  I was a bit disappointed by the finale though.  Seemed a little too easy, and the suspect's motives were... unclear.  I liked that it didn't hold my hand thoughout though.  Very cinematic.  I have to say, I did figure it out very early.  Without giving any spoilers, I did guess who the killer was, right from the first case!  Didn't have any proof or anything, but I just had a feeling.  Made the ending a little more personal.

• Like 1

Ugh.

So, started Vice tonight.  Questioned the guy at the food stand, got two locations to investigate.  Closest is the bookmaker, so I go to him.  I start questioning him, but the only question I can ask requires information from the OTHER location... so I have NOTHING to use to break his lies, and no other line of questioning.  I thought I could go to the other location, but if I try to leave, the case fails.

Sure would have been nice if they gave me some indication that I had to look into these things in a particular order....

GhettoJesus
1 hour ago, STNeish said:

Sure would have been nice if they gave me some indication that I had to look into these things in a particular order....

You can ask your partner for suggestions while onfoot. They probably would have told you to go to the agency first.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
billiejoearmstrong8

I just started playing this (the original Xbox 360 version that is). The excessive level of restrictions is annoying and seems unnecessary, I don't get why for example the cases couldn't just work like regular missions would, going to a marker to start the next one when you choose with freeroam in between instead of everything being forced the way it is. Or things like not allowing you to turn the radio on, just why? The ridiculously huge detailed city seems like a waste since as far as I can see it's only ever used as a backdrop, you can't really ever interact with it or do anything with it.

But gripes aside I'm taking it for what it is and enjoying it, I love the story and characters and the atmosphere/1940s style, and I'm really getting into solving the cases. I suck at interrogating though lol. I'm ok with reading their expressions and deciding if they're lying etc but picking which questions to ask, forget it. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
Americana

I love L.A. Noire -the story, the settings... the characters... and the whole idea of being a detective in 1940's Los Angeles. But... driving sucks - also, I think that the game lacks FPS camera mode.

Edited by Americana
billiejoearmstrong8
3 hours ago, Americana said:

I love L.A. Noire -the story, the settings... the characters... and the whole idea of being a detective in 1940's Los Angeles. But... driving sucks - also, I think that the game lacks FPS camera mode.

I don't mind the driving but it's tough not having GPS. It actually makes you have to look at the mini map and miss your surroundings more because instead of just glancing to instantly check that you're going the right way you have to look at it for longer to figure out if you're taking the right roads. I guess it's not accurate for the time but if Red Dead Redemption can have it....

Still it seems like a unique game with a unique atmosphere. The musical score is great. The writing is very dry by Rockstar standards but I like that too, it's something different. 

• Like 1
RenegadeAngel
6 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

The ridiculously huge detailed city seems like a waste since as far as I can see it's only ever used as a backdrop, you can't really ever interact with it or do anything with it.

This game operates in the same way the Mafia series operates. You have the main plot and everything else is secondary, including the highly detailed, but otherwise relatively empty city. Accept it on its own terms and you will enjoy it, especially since Rockstar had little to do with the creative process of making the game and were mainly just publishers. So no need to draw comparisons with their games.

• fir thi bairns 1
billiejoearmstrong8
44 minutes ago, RenegadeAngel said:

This game operates in the same way the Mafia series operates. You have the main plot and everything else is secondary, including the highly detailed, but otherwise relatively empty city. Accept it on its own terms and you will enjoy it, especially since Rockstar had little to do with the creative process of making the game and were mainly just publishers. So no need to draw comparisons with their games.

Yeah that's what I'm doing and I'm enjoying it. I can still notice the flaws/wasted potential in it though. Putting radio in the game but not allowing me to turn it on or off literally for no reason? Dumb regardless of what it's compared to. And I just don't understand the benefit of the cases working the way they do instead of just going to a marker at the police station or whatever to start each one like a mission - everything could work exactly the same way with that set up (since the whole rest of the case already consists of going to markers at your leisure!) so I don't understand that decision, all it does is take control away from the player and makes ensuring the game is saved before you turn it off (which they also of course don't allow you to do yourself) a pain unnecessary. I don't mind that the game is more linear but I don't see what the specific point/positives of doing the cases aka missions this unusual way is. 

But yeah anyway games being restrictive when there's no good reason for it just annoys me and I felt the need to complain about it here after spending one evening playing it lol. Now I have I will be enjoying the game for what it is 😛 

• Like 1
GhettoJesus
20 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I don't mind the driving but it's tough not having GPS. It actually makes you have to look at the mini map and miss your surroundings more because instead of just glancing to instantly check that you're going the right way you have to look at it for longer to figure out if you're taking the right roads. I guess it's not accurate for the time but if Red Dead Redemption can have it....

Still it seems like a unique game with a unique atmosphere. The musical score is great. The writing is very dry by Rockstar standards but I like that too, it's something different. 

You can ask your partners for directions though, don't know which button it is by default. Downside is that if you really don't want to look at the minimap constantly you will have to ask them at every intersection because they will only tell you "go straight, turn left, turn right, turn around"

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
2 hours ago, GhettoJesus said:

You can ask your partners for directions though, don't know which button it is by default. Downside is that if you really don't want to look at the minimap constantly you will have to ask them at every intersection because they will only tell you "go straight, turn left, turn right, turn around"

Yeah I do like that you can do that, and also how you can skip trips by letting your partner drive.

I'm so into the story and case solving now :D. Only wish I didn't suck so much at choosing which questions to ask/evidence to bring up during questioning. But it feels ok because I can always go back and do better by replaying cases later. For now I'm just going through naturally and letting the story unfold. 

GhettoJesus
1 hour ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Only wish I didn't suck so much at choosing which questions to ask/evidence to bring up during questioning.

Ye that's pretty difficult mainly because you have no idea what Cole will say, sometimes it's something totally unexpected. Pro tip: If you think that there is a chance of someone lying accuse them of doing so. This way you can hear what Cole actually accuses them of. When you have to present an evidence you can go back to selecting a response with one of the buttons.

Edited by GhettoJesus
  • Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
18 minutes ago, GhettoJesus said:

Ye that's pretty difficult mainly because you have no idea what Cole will say, sometimes it's something totally unexpected. Pro tip: If you think that there is a chance of someone lying accuse them of doing so. This way you can hear what Cole actually accuses them of. When you have to present an evidence you can go back to selecting a response with one of the buttons.

Thanks for the advice! I also think I overthink it and end up selecting the less obvious (and wrong) evidence or get too cautious about accusing them of lying because of that. I should trust my first instinct more. Maybe I'll get better with practice. But it's pretty lenient about it anyway so I can still enjoy it even if I'm not great at it. 

STNeish

My issue with the driving is that there's no way to customize the controls.  I have  joystick I use for most driving games.  I use the twist axis to steer, the throttle for speed control and the trigger for braking... but I can't do that here.  That means using the keyboard, but there's no way to control speed or turning in small increments.  You're either pedal to the floor or nothing at all.  Same with steering.

So, I went out and bought the controller with the two little joysticks, thinking one would be used for steering, one for throttle... but no, throttle is on a button, so no analog control, and the joysticks are so sensitive, steering is nearly impossible.  More, the second stick controls the direction you're looking, making the whole process completely unmanageable.

billiejoearmstrong8

I'm like totally in love with this game now. It's so extremely engaging because of how closely you have to pay attention all the time (to clues, what people say, reading faces etc, not just while questioning but any time during the case), unlike in GTA or other games where you watch cutscenes and listen to conversations much more passively. You get the same intense feeling that the things you're doing are important and consequential as you get in the rare times in GTA where you have to make a decision, only instead of it just happening a handful of times through the game it's a constant thing.  

I'm still kicking myself for completely screwing up the end of The Golden Butterfly yesterday lol. But then I did the best job I've done so far on the next case. Hope I can keep it up!

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8

All I gotta say is f*ck Roy Earle

But also, the faces in this game and the work that went into them are incredible

How awesome is it that they could actually create an acting blooper reel?

This is all old and I'm sure has already been discussed long ago of course but it's amazing haha

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8

Longshot but...I'm playing the original Xbox 360 disc and I've downloaded four extra cases via the Rockstar Pass. I see there's another one that isn't included in the Rockstar Pass, "The Consul's Car" which was originally PS exclusive, but then included in the complete edition on PS and Xbox. Does anyone happen to know if there's any way to download this case on its own for Xbox 360? 

billiejoearmstrong8

I finished the game, couple thoughts on it (spoilers in case others who haven't played before come here)

Spoiler

Cole's fate was sad but what really got me was the funeral. Holy sh*t, it's that dickhead Roy Earle giving the eulogy! I was gobsmacked. He and the rest of the corrupt guys get away scott free and here he is giving a hollow speech at my funeral. But it's the right thing for the ending, Cole did his best but wasn't perfect and couldn't fix everything. Truly tragic ending. At least he got to give Roy that fantastic "shut your f*cking mouth" speech before the end.

The twist of playing as Jack was interesting, I was like wtf why am I playing as an insurance guy :lol:. I much prefer Cole as a character, Jack is much more the generic tough guy protagonist and the way he calls every woman "princess" was an instant turn off, ew. I don't know who thought that would be a good character trait to give him lol (even calling Elsa that in front of Cole and when they're in a life threatening situation, weird as hell). But the contrast of characters was good. 

Now I'll replay some cases to do better on them and do the collectibles. So glad I finally played this, it's great. 

• Like 1
STNeish
20 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I finished the game, couple thoughts on it (spoilers in case others who haven't played before come here)

Reveal hidden contents

Cole's fate was sad but what really got me was the funeral. Holy sh*t, it's that dickhead Roy Earle giving the eulogy! I was gobsmacked. He and the rest of the corrupt guys get away scott free and here he is giving a hollow speech at my funeral. But it's the right thing for the ending, Cole did his best but wasn't perfect and couldn't fix everything. Truly tragic ending. At least he got to give Roy that fantastic "shut your f*cking mouth" speech before the end.

The twist of playing as Jack was interesting, I was like wtf why am I playing as an insurance guy :lol:. I much prefer Cole as a character, Jack is much more the generic tough guy protagonist and the way he calls every woman "princess" was an instant turn off, ew. I don't know who thought that would be a good character trait to give him lol (even calling Elsa that in front of Cole and when they're in a life threatening situation, weird as hell). But the contrast of characters was good. 

Now I'll replay some cases to do better on them and do the collectibles. So glad I finally played this, it's great. 

I'm enjoying the game so far, I'm about to start the Arson desk.

I like the setting, and the era.  The gameplay is pretty decent, but driving is a PAIN.

My biggest wish is that we could have had our own character.  I mean, I don't LIKE Phelps.  He's a bit of an ass, and makes bad decisions.  I get why we couldn't... but it would have been nice to have a character of my own to "live" in the world of the game.

billiejoearmstrong8
2 hours ago, STNeish said:

I'm enjoying the game so far, I'm about to start the Arson desk.

I like the setting, and the era.  The gameplay is pretty decent, but driving is a PAIN.

My biggest wish is that we could have had our own character.  I mean, I don't LIKE Phelps.  He's a bit of an ass, and makes bad decisions.  I get why we couldn't... but it would have been nice to have a character of my own to "live" in the world of the game.

Oh I love playing as Phelps. He's got a lot of flaws but that's what makes him so interesting, I like that I dislike him so often lol. It's unusual to have such an.....uptight protagonist lol, it's interesting how he simultaneously wants to do the right things, but also wants to go by the book, wants to help others but also wants glory for himself, in some ways tries to be a hero but at the same time is uncomfortable with his hero status because of his war experiences, has his weaknesses and vices and almost sabotages himself. There's a lot of conflict in him. But even though he's often a bit of a dick he's charming and I enjoy playing as him a lot. Probably a top 3 all time favourite protagonist for me.

There's some interesting stuff coming up for you! I just wish there was more somehow (I know there won't be though :(). Replaying cases is cool but nothing beats going through them the first time and figuring them out. Awesome gaming experience. 

Now I'm hooked on the soundtrack as well. Some great music on the radio but I particularly love the original score

STNeish

So, I'm at the point where I'm being chased by the guy on the bulldozer, jumping over pipes and things.  He plows through them at warp speed, so I can't outrun the dozer.  It says to shoot at him, but the moment I turn to do so, he runs over me.  I tried doing it from on top of one of the obstacles, but he runs over me before I can even turn around.  I've tried shooting at him immediately, but he runs me over.  I've tried this 333 times since I started counting (probably more like 350 times in all), and it seems completely impossible.  It does give me the option to skip it, but I refuse to skip anything.  There HAS to be some way to do this I'm not seeing.

billiejoearmstrong8
7 hours ago, STNeish said:

So, I'm at the point where I'm being chased by the guy on the bulldozer, jumping over pipes and things.  He plows through them at warp speed, so I can't outrun the dozer.  It says to shoot at him, but the moment I turn to do so, he runs over me.  I tried doing it from on top of one of the obstacles, but he runs over me before I can even turn around.  I've tried shooting at him immediately, but he runs me over.  I've tried this 333 times since I started counting (probably more like 350 times in all), and it seems completely impossible.  It does give me the option to skip it, but I refuse to skip anything.  There HAS to be some way to do this I'm not seeing.

That part sucks. I don't know a scientific method but I did it after a few tries by like, doing a combination of running a bit, then turning to shoot to slow him down, then running some more etc. I would try running and jumping over the first obstacle, then turn and shoot the dozer once, then run over a couple more and shoot it again, then you might be able to run to the end from there or might have to shoot one more time. At the end there's a ladder and you climb out. You just have to be as quick as possible while doing all this and don't waste time firing more than one shot (one will slow it) or trying to hit the driver (he moves the front part of the dozer up to block). 

STNeish
7 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

That part sucks. I don't know a scientific method but I did it after a few tries by like, doing a combination of running a bit, then turning to shoot to slow him down, then running some more etc. I would try running and jumping over the first obstacle, then turn and shoot the dozer once, then run over a couple more and shoot it again, then you might be able to run to the end from there or might have to shoot one more time. At the end there's a ladder and you climb out. You just have to be as quick as possible while doing all this and don't waste time firing more than one shot (one will slow it) or trying to hit the driver (he moves the front part of the dozer up to block). 

Ya, I tried turning to shoot, and get immediately killed.  I tried climbing onto the platform as I run, but the instant I turn to shoot, I'm killed.  I've tried running past the platform, thinking it might slow him a moment as he moves into it, but the moment I turn to shoot, I'm killed.  I've tried outrunning the thing, but it catches up and I'm killed.  I tried dodging to one side the moment I get control of my character, but I'm instantly killed.  I've tried turning to shoot immediately, and I'm immediately killed.

There seems to be no way to get TIME to turn and shoot at it to slow it down so you can outdistance it.

rollschuh2282
13 hours ago, STNeish said:

Ya, I tried turning to shoot, and get immediately killed.  I tried climbing onto the platform as I run, but the instant I turn to shoot, I'm killed.  I've tried running past the platform, thinking it might slow him a moment as he moves into it, but the moment I turn to shoot, I'm killed.  I've tried outrunning the thing, but it catches up and I'm killed.  I tried dodging to one side the moment I get control of my character, but I'm instantly killed.  I've tried turning to shoot immediately, and I'm immediately killed.

There seems to be no way to get TIME to turn and shoot at it to slow it down so you can outdistance it.

do you play on PC at 60 fps?
bc it could be a issue with the game moving the dozer faster at high fps

billiejoearmstrong8
14 hours ago, STNeish said:

Don't turn straight away, run and climb over the first obstacle and then shoot and then keep running. I found a video showing it, could try copying

Another version where they eventually do it:

Btw the way he just walks away without anything being said and carries on with his day afterwards like nothing happened is so weird lmao

• Like 1
DeltaV20
56 minutes ago, rollschuh2282 said:

do you play on PC at 60 fps?
bc it could be a issue with the game moving the dozer faster at high fps

2017 version is capped at 60 or 30 i guess? 

rollschuh2282
1 hour ago, DeltaV20 said:

2017 version is capped at 60 or 30 i guess? 

iirc the original L.A Noire PC version is capped at 30

• Like 1
_P136_
4 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Don't turn straight away, run and climb over the first obstacle and then shoot and then keep running.

Yeah, it slows down when you shoot at it. Also no need to aim, or even turn around, pressing the button should be enough.