4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

.mkv files

Pr0xy_fl00d3r

I have downloaded a .mkv file recently, and it wont extract, its just giving me the usual: Cannot open **filename** as archive.

Do I need a specific codec? I allready have a codec for .avi files, not sure wether or not I need one for .mkv's.

Use VLC but I don't think you can extract the actual .mkv file.

If you mean inside a zip/rar then it might be corrupted. Re DL it again.

I have downloaded two different .mkv files and they both failed, and I cannot stand that VLC, I have downloaded another codec that can be used on Windows media player, I forgot the name, but I DL'ed it for .avi files.

Use VLC but I don't think you can extract the actual .mkv file.

If you mean inside a zip/rar then it might be corrupted. Re DL it again.

I have downloaded two different .mkv files and they both failed, and I cannot stand that VLC, I have downloaded another codec that can be used on Windows media player, I forgot the name, but I DL'ed it for .avi files.

OK, Did you try

K-Lite Codec Pack Full v5.0.0

EDIT

My bad...girishb beat me to it lol.gif It's all good though icon14.gif

Edited by pcguytech_2005

If you don't like VLC, both Gom Media Player and Media Player Classic will play MKV files as well. However, I strongly suggest the latest build of VLC. It hardly installs anything and it's super simple to remove if you don't like it after a while.

I reccomend Gom and VLC over codec packs, because said codec packs can f*ck with other video playback systems, even BINK video in most videogames on the rare occasion. It's just more sh*t gunking up your system.

Edited by Otter

I just downloaded K-Lite Codec Pack Full v5.0.0 and it has started to play my .mkv file, trouble is, that pack has added a sh*t load of retarded icons to my toolbar and isn't playing audio.

I thin kI'll uninstall this and download the latest version of VLC. Thing is, I dont have a clue how to make Windows media player my default browser blush.gif

EDIT: The audio seems to be working, but I need to remove these stupid icons :| help!

Edited by Pr0xy_fl00d3r

VLC is great, no need for that K-Lite codec pack crap. Same goes for KMPlayer (official - mirror)

I think I've used ffdshow to get mkv's to play in just about anything; WMP, WinAmp...as well as VLC and KMP however both of these should support it with no need for anything else.

EDIT: The audio seems to be working, but I need to remove these stupid icons :| help!

So even though you've uninstalled it, you've still got icons all over the place?

THIS is why I'm not a fan of crap like thi.s You'll have to manually remove them. Then run CCleaner to make sure they haven't left any other sh*t lying around on your system. Bab form, man. Bad form.

So even though you've uninstalled it, you've still got icons all over the place?

THIS is why I'm not a fan of crap like thi.s You'll have to manually remove them. Then run CCleaner to make sure they haven't left any other sh*t lying around on your system. Bab form, man. Bad form.

Nah, I haven't uninstalled it, I was wondering if you could just hide them or something, guess not. confused.gif

Anyway, I guess i'll watch this and then download VLC icon14.gif

The icons are simply the codecs that are running, and should be gone once you close the application that uses the codecs. You can't avoid the icons showing up in your taskbar as it's playing, but if they're staying there after you close the application, something's f*cked.

I've been using the K-Lite Codec Pack for about five years now. It works flawlessly for me.

With MPC Star, I have noticed that sometimes the process does not end even though you have closed the application window. As a result of this, the codec icon will remain in the taskbar. To get rid of it, you'll have to manually end the process of the application that you were running from the Task Manager.

What's wrong with VLC? I've been using since I first tried linux (about three years ago) and have used it with no problems.

Im using VLC now, but I have a shared PC, so how can I return Windows media player to the default media player?

What's wrong with VLC?  I've been using since I first tried linux (about three years ago) and have used it with no problems.

Im using VLC now, but I have a shared PC, so how can I return Windows media player to the default media player?

Are you using XP? If you are, then go to:

Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>(On the left side)Set Program Access and Defaults

My Vista Laptop isn't working right now, you may be able to find it on Google.