Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,278 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

Why not Americans?

TonyClifton
TonyClifton and Mahi: Being a Serb myself (assuming that Niko himself is Serbian), his accent isn't exactly that spot on. Considering Michael Hollick isn't a native speaker of Serbian, he does pretty well while pronouncing some words (as does Jason Zumwalt), however with some words, you can automatically tell (well I can, but I speak Serbian) that they're not native speakers, which can be forgiveable. For example, like in the mission "Roman's Sorrow", when you find Roman in the boot of his car, Niko says sorry in Serbian, and he says it as 'Izveni', when however, in the Serbian language, it should be pronounced 'Izvini' or 'Izvinite'. They're not huge differences, but for you, it probably made no difference, but for me I automatically picked it up as simply an error in pronounciation.

As for the topic at hand, as far as I'm concerned, isn't Johnny Klebitz American? His last name sounds German, and Germany is the largest location of ancestry for White Christian Americans, so he's definitely American I assume.

I agree his accent is not spot on, which is what I was saying. And I also agree that Michael Hollick did a pretty good job.

It is interesting to get your input, because you can judge far better than an English person, like me. Thank you. smile.gif

zmoonchild

why all the main character of GTA looks more like an  Non-American then an American…

…Carl "CJ" Johnson is an African

Wow, talk about naïve… I usually don’t respond to comments like this, but based on this kind of idiotic logic, that means the following people aren’t Americans:

President Obama

Colin Powell

Condoleezza Rice

Eddie Murphy

Richard Prior

Dave Chappelle

Chris Rock

Samuel L Jackson (from San Andreas)

Ice-T (from San Andreas)

Katt Williams (from GTA IV)

and roughly 10% of the entire United States population (I’m not sure of the exact percentage)

This person is probably so stupid that they think that only black people live in Africa, and that no other race lives in Africa, or comes from from Africa, at all. tounge2.gif

I mean why can't some one like an expelled Marine be rolled as the GTA's Main Protagonist

Well, out of the list that I provided, Colin Powell was a general in the U.S. Army… it’s not the marines, but I guess that wouldn’t qualify him as being an American for you, would it?

Claude is Asian-ish

Tommy Vercetti is Italian (duhh)

CJ is African

Tony Cipriani is Italian

the VCS dude is African

Niko is Serbian

So..none of them are actually proper American

I think that Piperka is a member of the Aryan Nation, or he’s just very stupid, because that is a very stupid comment, and very racist… what the hell is a proper American? rolleyes.gif

Sanjeem

There are lots of americans, infact their all american apart from two.

Cj is american (African-american) but he os only from an african backround his familly were raised and born in america.

Tommy is and american with an italian backround...he was born in america

as was toni cimpriani. an american born italian...you see their all americans, just with a little but of backround. Most americans these days have backrounds aswell...but their still american, it would be quite boring to be full american.

Niko Bellic was the only Non-american character and he had a easten european accent unlike the others...so yeah most of them are american really

MrGtaman

I guess OP is a racist icon13.gificon13.gificon13.gif

Everyone in America is in some degree an immigrant. Except for the Native Americans, of course. Judging people just because they were born in some country is quite stupid. The melting pot, guys, I love it. Roman's mind seems more of American than Easter-European to me, that's why I can consider him American.

Omnia sunt Communia
I think that Piperka is a member of the Aryan Nation, or he’s just very stupid, because that is a very stupid comment, and very racist… what the hell is a proper American? rolleyes.gif

These people over here.

Where do people get the idea that Claude is Asian from, anyway? mercie_blink.gif

Niko Bellic was the only Non-american character and he had a easten european accent unlike the others...so yeah most of them are american really

Don't forget Huang Lee from Chinatown Wars. He was a full-blooded Chinese national (from Hong Kong).

MrGtaman

Where do people get the idea that Claude is Asian from, anyway? mercie_blink.gif

Probably because of his looks sarcasm.gif

Algonquin Assassin

That's what I've been wondering. mercie_blink.gif

user posted image

He doesn't look Asian at all IMO, but really he could be from anywhere since he was never actually given a background. He could be German, Swedish, Australian, British, French, Russian etc for all we know.

Omnia sunt Communia

He's got narrow eyes, I'll give them that, but his facial structure is defiantly of Caucasian origin. I think Rockstar never intended for him to be any nationality really, so it's just left ambigous, and we obviously go for American because the game is set in America (common sense really).

Stefan.

He's Russian, that's even worse. tounge.gif

His point is that none of them are White Christian Americans (except for Claude).

Judging people just because they were born in some country is quite stupid.

We're not judging them, we're just discussing where they're from.

In my opinion, I think deciding someone's nationality shouldn't be decided on where they were born, because a person who's born in one country may not have any link with that country whatsoever. I mean, Presidential runner-up John McCain was born in Panama; no one can say that he is Panamian or something, he is American, because he has American citizenship. You usually get citizenship of one country if you either live there for an extended period, or because of another reason such as having rights to land there, etc. Take me for example; I consider myself a Serbian-Australian; I was born here to Serbian refugees, and I have both Australian and Serbian citizenship (Serbian because I inherit property over there and am entitled to have citizenship for that country through my parents), and I'm proud of both my nationalities, as we all should be. icon14.gif

Edited by Stefan.

Sanjeem

These people over here.

Don't forget Huang Lee from Chinatown Wars. He was a full-blooded Chinese national (from Hong Kong).

Oh yeah i forgot about Young Haung...it's because i haven't played the DS Game yet, Thats why i'm looking forward to the PSP version, weather it's the same or improved happy.gif

But i don't know why people think claude is asian... wow.gif

If anything i would of thought he was an American with a French Origin...se where i'm coming from claude

I'm not saying cluade is just a french name but i've met quite a few french people and alot of them i know are called claude, including my Old french teacher.

TonyClifton

Claude always looks to me as if he is straight out of the East End (of London). Alright my son? cool.gif

PS: I have a Great Uncle Claude, and he is not French.

zmoonchild

These people over here.

Very true, and I highly respect all Native American People, but I don't think that's what Piperka meant in his original "proper American" comment... he and the person who started this topic seem to have personal problems with people of different races and/or nationalities.

rampage!

An immigrant is about as a "proper American" an American can get, other than Native American, of course. I never understood xenophobia here in the US since most of us have ancestory from other countries. I'm the offspring of an immigrant.

TonyClifton: I always thought Claude looked British, too!

General Goose

Hell, even the Native Americans came over from Russia. We're all Africans originally.

93Sean93

lol, yeah. I've always just looked at Claude as being American with French origin because of his name..

CryptReaperDorian

That's what I've been wondering. mercie_blink.gif

user posted image

He doesn't look Asian at all IMO, but really he could be from anywhere since he was never actually given a background. He could be German, Swedish, Australian, British, French, Russian etc for all we know.

Facially, Claude in GTA SA looks different to the GTA III Claude. You can't rule out the possibility he's Asian, but we really don't have any info. regarding his race other than speculation.

Actually, all GTA protagonists (apart from the GTAL ones) are American as they live in America (assuming that the immigrants are legal immigrants). The only protagonists that we know weren't born in the U.S. are Niko Bellic, Luis Fernando Lopez, and Huang Lee.

General Goose

Vic and Toni both have a significant possibility they weren't, but I think they've been residents for a looooong term at least.

tom_p1980

So OP, does that answer your question? biggrin.gif

KGBeast

Vic was born in America. His dad came up from DR, his mom didn't go down to it. Toni I'm not sure on, but if he was born anywhere outside of America, it was Sicily.

Ash_735
Claude always looks to me as if he is straight out of the East End (of London). Alright my son? cool.gif

PS: I have a Great Uncle Claude, and he is not French.

Claude in GTA2 is British, he was played by Scott Maslan, better known now as Jack Branning in Eastenders.

RJX74

Just to clarify things a bit, there is proof that CJ is American. In one mission, when Sweet is freed from prison and then they see the baseheads in moms house, CJ wants to leave but Sweet tells him: "You were born in that house, n****

Also, Claude Is anything nut Italian because in Cipriani's Chauffeur ...he's no Italian, but he can get things fixed

And Tommy is Cuban. Remember the phone call at the end from Umberto? To me and Papi, You Cuban biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif (Just A Joke)

Edited by RJX74

darthYENIK
Claude always looks to me as if he is straight out of the East End (of London).  Alright my son?    cool.gif

PS:  I have a Great Uncle Claude, and he is not French.

Claude in GTA2 is British, he was played by Scott Maslan, better known now as Jack Branning in Eastenders.

So a guy wearing a House M.D. avatar is saying that because the actor is British, that the character as well is British. That's just interesting to me.

I like the idea that Charming Charlie has, they should make a Native American GTA.

Funktipus
If your born in America then your American, you skin color doesn't matter.

Thank you!

numdmind

Nope they aren't American dude, why they portray like Cubans or African then

Dude, lay off the crack.

Tommy is American. He's Italian-American, but he's American. Where the hell do you get Cuban from?

CJ - He's not African, he was born in America, therefore an American.

Claude or Fido - That guy's obviously American

Toni - American

Vic - American

Johnny - American

IF you're going to go with what you constitute an "American", then no one is an American....Anywhere. Not you, or me, or anyone else on this forum that resides in America. Unless they come from Native American heritage. Even then, they started out as a fungus on Pangaea. So technically speaking, according to your definition of "American", we're all Pangaean.

El_Santo
Tommy isn't Cuban. He comes from a Italian background, but as far as we know he was born in America.

Same deal with CJ. Whilst he's from a African background he was still born in America.

The only character who isn't truly American is Niko, as he wasn't born in America.

lol I think he wants a "white" character like Uncle Sam

zeppelincheetah

TC fails at being an American. How can he not know that the United States is a nation of immigrants. Everybody except the Native Americans originate elsewhere.

SanAndreasManiac

tommy vercetti no way is cuban, except for friendships

maybe claude is french and doesn't know how to talk in english biggrin.gif

I aways thought that comentary "he's not italian, but can he can get things fixed" was about toni, not claude

th3drow

TC fails at being an American.  How can he not know that the United States is a nation of immigrants.  Everybody except the Native Americans originate elsewhere.

Ya i feel like the tc wants some stereotypical redneck dude as a main character. I feel like the next post is going to be "o an by the way all the characters are speaking English, when are you going to start speaking American?"

JianHua
Tommy, and CJ are American. confused.gif

Vercetti has Italian background, and how can u be so sure that Vercetti's born in USA?

RJX74
I aways thought that comentary "he's not italian, but can he can get things fixed" was about toni, not claude

He couldn't be Capo then, (unless really rarely is there one) plus Ma says he shames his Sicilian roots. biggrin.gif