1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

[Q]WINDOWS 7 RC Uninstallation?

TheRealPcGamer

TheRealPcGamer

Hey all, I hope I posted in true section smile.gif

I just get a free Windows 7 RC DVD from a magazine in my country. I want to try to install it on my laptop, specs on my sig.

But I have a question, I install it as Dual-boot with Vista. So everytime I turn on my laptop it will give 2 options : Windows 7 or Vista.

When I want to uninstall the Windows 7, can I just format the partition that contains the Win7 only? Or what must I do?

I just don't want disturbed by the dual-boot manager just like when you dual-boot xp-vista.

Thx smile.gif

Heh I will also soon have to go from the beta (build 7000) to the RC1 (buld 7100). People say you can "upgrade" but I think I'm going to do a clean install as Microsoft recommends against "upgrading".

Yeah you don't have to format the disk so much as just when you pop in the RC1 disc tell it to overwrite the current Windows installation on the Windows 7 partition. I'm not sure how 7 does it, but from previous "overwrites" of XP it would just take the old Windows folder and rename it, or you could even rename the new Windows folder, or just delete the old Windows 7 folder after you've made sure to back up everything you need (desktop contents, documents, etc.)

As for the Windows Bootloader the RC installation should handle that for you as the beta installation did. If not, the solution is pretty simple just download and install EasyBCD and create a new bootloader. If you happen to need help using EasyBCD just ask in this topic, but I'm pretty sure the Windows 7 RC installation will go ahead and take care of the bootloader for you anyway.

Since you answered well I'll just address you Syphon.

So you know there's already a new build out, 7260. I'm actually installing it today. I did an upgrade from Vista just recently to 7100 and it went just fine. However there's a bug in 7100 where lots of people lose their wireless connection very often (mine every 6 hours or so, sometimes much shorter and my brother lost his every 30 minutes or so).

This was fixed in build 7127 which is out right now, but the newest I know of is 7260 so I'm just going to that one. I'll be just upgrading to that one as well.

I've got a question though. Is it possible to do an in place down grade back to Vista from W7? I'm just worried that W7 might eventually stop working (due to it just being a beta/RC release) and I don't want to lose all my programs.

Fozzy Fozborne

The last I heard was that MS definitely didn't support downgrading from W7 to Vista (kind of like how upgrading is also frowned upon).

Installing W7 on your primary partition with all your programs and files on it is not what they had in mind when releasing it. According to their site it is for testing ONLY and should not be used on a primary/work machine's original partition.

Since you answered well I'll just address you Syphon.

So you know there's already a new build out, 7260. I'm actually installing it today. I did an upgrade from Vista just recently to 7100 and it went just fine. However there's a bug in 7100 where lots of people lose their wireless connection very often (mine every 6 hours or so, sometimes much shorter and my brother lost his every 30 minutes or so).

This was fixed in build 7127 which is out right now, but the newest I know of is 7260 so I'm just going to that one. I'll be just upgrading to that one as well.

I've got a question though. Is it possible to do an in place down grade back to Vista from W7? I'm just worried that W7 might eventually stop working (due to it just being a beta/RC release) and I don't want to lose all my programs.

I never really looked into the "leaked" builds because I've heard they can be problematic.

I might check out the build 7260 though, can I use the RC key for it? Does it expire the same time as build 7100? I don't use a wireless connection though.

As for "downgrading" to Vista MS recommended against using W7 as the primary OS, I dual-boot between W7 and Vista, and upgrading was also recommended against. So I have no idea how successful you could be in an in-place downgrade.

EDIT: Looking around I've seen build 7261 and 7262 may be leaked soon, and from what I see there's no x64 version of 7260?? Hmm I might need to send ya a PM if I can't find it myself colgate.gif . It just seems so sketchy trying to get the leaked builds.

Edited by SyphonPayne
TheRealPcGamer

Alright, have found the solution about 7 uninstallation biggrin.gif

New builds are out but I think it's not for public right?

For those who has found the new builds:

How to install it? Does it have the same size like the previous builds? [so just like install a new os]

hey, i want to get the Windows 7 RC version, i got vista now but i heard the download is sized as 50-60GB! so i want to get it from DVD, do anyone know where it can get from DVD.

Fozzy Fozborne

The 64-bit RC (build 7000, not the latest available version) is only 3 gigs. The 32-bit version is usually smaller and I can't imagine the latest version is 15-20x the size.

Fozzy Fozborne

Well you use a program like nero or magicdisc (free) or google the works "burn iso" to burn the disc you need. You then rather simply restart your computer, boot from the disc (startup should say press any key to boot from cd...) and then follow the onscreen instructions. It's really quite easy.

Build 7000 is the beta not the RC, build 7000 expires (as in completely stops working) on August 1, 2009 and will start doing bi-hourly (once every two hours) shutdowns starting July 1, 2009. 7100 is the RC and will expire (completely stops working) on June 1, 2010, and will proceed with bi-hourly shutdowns starting March 1, 2010.

Anyway, the 64-bit download is I think somewhere around 3.04 gigs, and it is an iso file in which you should use a program such as ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD. Then you boot from the DVD, you may need to configure your BIOS boot order to boot from the DVD first, and not your hard disk.

As for replacing Vista, I would strongly recommend against that. I would recommend either installing the RC on a separate partition if you only have one hard disk drive, or on a separate hard disk drive so you can dual-boot between Vista and 7. The reasons I recommend against replacing Vista with the 7 RC are:

1.) The Windows 7 RC is not a finished product, and may have bugs that can cause problems, especially if you perform an "upgrade" installation from Vista.

2.) The RC will eventually expire leaving the OS completely unusable .

3.) The RC will not be able to be upgraded to Windows 7 RTM (retail version, when it is released) and you will have to perform a clean installation anyway. There may be workarounds but once again there most likely will be problems with upgrading.

4.) If you perform an upgrade installation from Vista, you will not be able to revert back to Vista without a clean installation.

To get the RC simply go here click on "Download Windows 7 Release Candidate" and follow the instructions.

Once again the 64-bit version is a 3.04GB download, and the 32-bit version is a 2.35GB download.

Hey, i downloaded the Windows 7,

Then i pushed ''Launch'' it opened Winrar with the folder then i Extracted it and it made the the files to other ''WINDOWS 7 RC 7100'' folder then i got a 4.7GB DVD-R disk and i copied the folder and added to the DVD. now i put the dvd to my DVD Drive and when i restart pc it wont Autorun, it just opens the Vista. How this can be fixed? NEED HELP QUICK, whatsthat.gif

EDIT: where the f*ck is my help sad.gif

i got a win vista 32 home premium (build 6000) i installed 64bit win 7 and it says it doesnt work WTF so i need to Format disk to get it, i hate this f*cking beta vista...

Edited by Arski
Fozzy Fozborne

The file you downloaded is an ISO file, or disc image file. Google "burn iso" and find a free program that will burn it to a DVD for you.

You don't have to unRAR anything, WinRAR opens it because it's what your computer is set to open by default.

i will try, now my computer is f*cked up, thanks microsoft, i wasted all day & money to get the f*cking retarded windows 7...

EDIT: if i open the windows iso file, theres stuff like ''setup'' and some folders if i push the setup it says:

''You must get x86 (32-Bit) version of this file...''

now wtf? it doesnt work on my Vista 32 HP... i want the damned 64Bit.

now i have wasted my 2 disks of 4.7GB size to Win7 Winrar iso file, and the other i wasted to a Folder what got the stuff what was inside winrar iso file... nothing happens if i put them in.

Nice.

Edited by Arski

lmfao... you f*cked up your computer, then Say Microsoft / Vista / Windows 7 are retarded? LOL thanks for the laugh biggrin.gif .

I had JUST f*cking explained what should be done in the post before yours too...

Fozzy Fozborne

Ok, you need to have a DVD. By this I mean a blank + or - DVD R. These are the exact steps to burn and install it.

1) Locate the file you downloaded (if you can't find it, type ".ISO" into windows search without the "s)

2) Move it to your desktop for ease of burning

3) Download and install and open Easy CD DVD Burner.

4) Within the program, select the folder to the upper-right (to the left of the magnifying glass) and then click where it says "my computer" and select "desktop" from the drop-down menu.

5) Drag and drop the file you downloaded from Microsoft into the lower panel, once this is done, you should see the bar at the bottom fill up to show how much space you've used on the disc.

6) Click the burn button and insert your blank DVD and let it burn.

When it's done burning

1) Insert the disc. Do NOT install anything while still in Vista, simply insert the disc then shut down the computer

2) Push the power button to turn your computer back on

3) When prompted to boot from a disc, press the button it tells you to and you should hear your drive spin up.

4) Wait until the 7 install screen pops up and follow the prompts.

5 BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN IT ASKS WHERE YOU WANT TO INSTALL IT! If you install it over your Vista, whatever is on that part of the disc is wiped. Make sure you format the part of the drive you want to install it before you actually do because you'll really want a fresh install. If you're not sure where to install it, it's usually not the C drive (which is almost always your primary partition for your Vista OS).

6) Wait for it to finish installing and follow any remaining prompts.

7) When it's completely done installing, restart and do NOT boot from the disc again simply select "Windows 7" when prompted by the onscreen menu and enjoy (in my opinion) the best operating system available.

Sorry for the obvious steps, just trying to be as clear as possible. If you still get stuck, just post a message and we'll assist you.

Edited by Fozzy Fozborne