3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Protagonist in Law Enforcement

neato9611

I was wondering how much better a GTA game could be if you could pull the perfect balance of a character with strong ties to law enforcement. Now I could have said "make him a cop!" but it just doesn't seem right, it sounds like a cheap knock off of True Crimes. However, what if our new character is police officer who gets kicked out of the force some reason, it would still be GTA but your character would have better reason to be running around shooting people. Also, this could explain the whole center mass targeting system (center mass is how they are trained to shoot).

Plus, there would be an actual connection with the protagonist and the officers he has to fight, men he may have well worked with. As a plus, he can understand all radio communication and have almost a sixth sense to keep himself one step ahead of the law at all times (he knows what they would do). The character should be able to pull a few strings in the dept as well, and the storyline should be tied very close to the police department.

Every game has evolved some aspect of gameplay in one way or another, let's give the cops a chance to really give a good performance, and give us a front row seat. Keep in mind the first small segment of the game the protagonist should still be a cop to get things rolling.

Intresting I think it may work,and how he will know all the radio chatter and know what the cops are about to do is a good idea.I also see this as a good way to make an intresting story.

Omnia sunt Communia

I don't see how it would fit into a crime game, to be honest. There is a game coming out soon, called All Points Bulletin (APB), it is basically a GTA MMO and lets players be either a criminal or cop; I think that sort of game would be more befitting of what you're asking. I mean, even if the protagonist wasn't a cop, just an ex-cop or crooked cop then it will still be a lot harder for him to pull of crimes. I mean if every police officer knew him then surely he would get arrested twice as much?

I mean if every police officer knew him then surely he would get arrested twice as much?

That makes alot of sense actualy.

MiamiViceCity1986

I mean if every police officer knew him then surely he would get arrested twice as much?

What if he's new to the location? Meaning he was from another police department?

Like for example if the game takes place in Vice City, and he's a ex-cop/crooked cop from Liberty City.

Edited by Miamivicecity

GTA Vice City Signature+Avatar Combo Request | PlayStation Universe

Omnia sunt Communia

What if he's new to the location? Meaning he was from another police department?

That's a good way around it, actually. Though I'm sure they'd have extensive history on him like his location and whatnot. It would certainly make avoiding the cops more troublesome. Something I'm not sure I want to deal with in GTA. They're already enough of a nuisence in GTA IV as it is.

MiamiViceCity1986

I just like the idea of playing as someone with direct ties to law enforcement. It would probably give him a huge advantage too with say drug deals, because he would know the lengths cops go to, to bring down dealers, and whatnot.

Speaking of which in the next GTA I hope we get a police scanner instead of the cops just showing up without warning. Atleast with a scanner it could give us more of a window.

Edited by Miamivicecity

GTA Vice City Signature+Avatar Combo Request | PlayStation Universe

Like for example if the game takes place in Vice City, and he's a ex-cop/crooked cop from Liberty City.

Yet another way i see is that when you work a department you know the ins and outs. From my very limited knowledge that is how TV's Dexter gets away with being a serial killer.

But when there is corruption in a department other officers turn a blind eye. The Frank Jude case comes to mind. I sat there and watched cops lie on the stand.

Depends on the district though. Theres alot of stuff in the fourth over here thats virtually unreported. Different levels of corruption have different effects. Which IMHO could make for an awesome story line.

i like the sound of this idea. ive always wanted to be a cop character in gta. the hard thing is you to incorporate the killing and car jacking and that stuff