3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

!Windows XP Users!

FireFighterEMTChuckDale

FireFighterEMTChuckDale

I have a favor to ask all Windows XP users...if you have the DEFAULT icons on your Windows XP computer could you PLEASE upload them to a site because I REALLY want the default XP icons. I'm trying to make my Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 computer more like the Windows XP theme which I am used to. So if you could please upload your default Windows XP icons to a site like 4Shared.com that would be great and would mean a lot to me. If you could upload all your icons that would be wonderful, but if you can only upload some that's okay. But the little shortcut arrow that appears like in the bottom left hand corner of a shortcut on your desktop is a must have! Thank you for taking the time to read through my post and I hope that you can help me. cookie.gif Below is a screenshot of my current Vista computer.

user posted image

user posted image

I had to black out some personal information, because I was doing some banking. I hope you don't mind.

Edited by FireFighterEMTChuckDale

If you want My Computer and My Documents on your desktop do the following:

- Press right click on desktop

- select properties

- Choose the 'Desktop' tab

- Press 'Customize Desktop'

- And choose which icons you want on desktop

I'm having a really hard time trying to understand WHY you'd desecrate Vista and make it look like Telly Tubby land. Don't get me wrong, back in the day I liked the look of XP, but it's 8 years old, and Aero looks so much nicer.

I really dislike the blue of XP and always install the Zune Theme to get rid of it in VMs.

WHY you'd desecrate Vista and make it look like Telly Tubby land.

I've never noticed the similarity before, but now that you mention it... Anyway, I remember first seeing the XP theme on my Uncle's computer and instantly wanting it. So I got a whole new PC.

FireFighterEMTChuckDale
WHY you'd desecrate Vista and make it look like Telly Tubby land.

I've never noticed the similarity before, but now that you mention it... Anyway, I remember first seeing the XP theme on my Uncle's computer and instantly wanting it. So I got a whole new PC.

Same thing with me...I first saw it on my friend's computer and like fell in love with it lol. Okay listen good...I need someone go click on My Computer on their desktop on their Windows XP computer, than click on the Windows folder then click on the System32 folder then scroll down untill you find the file called Shell32.dll and upload it somewhere like 4Shared...then post the link and that is where all the icons are. Thanks!

I will at this juncture point out anyone uploading said file will be breaking the law...

If you like it that much, I assume you have had XP previously, and probably still have an XP disk - why not just extract the file from there?

FireFighterEMTChuckDale
I will at this juncture point out anyone uploading said file will be breaking the law...

If you like it that much, I assume you have had XP previously, and probably still have an XP disk - why not just extract the file from there?

I used to have XP but then installed Vista, my XP disk got all messy because it was all on the carpet all the time behind a box and got scratched and doesn't work anymore...I still had my old XP files in the folder but then they got deleted when I did a disk cleanup. It's not illegal to do that...is it?

To extract and distribute Windows files, Yes. That comes under piracy laws. Why don't you try cleaning your XP disc, if a simple wipe doesn't work then maybe taking it somewhere with a disc clinic will, that's cheaper than buying a new disc. Only just noticed "disc" and "disk".

FireFighterEMTChuckDale
To extract and distribute Windows files, Yes. That comes under piracy laws. Why don't you try cleaning your XP disc, if a simple wipe doesn't work then maybe taking it somewhere with a disc clinic will, that's cheaper than buying a new disc. Only just noticed "disc" and "disk".

Oh ok...well I didn't know that, but now I do. Will a Clorox Disinfecting Wipe work??

As long as the wipes are smooth and won't scratch the disc any further then they should work. I personally always use a lint free cloth and anti-static spray.

FireFighterEMTChuckDale
If you don't mind spending a bit of cash you could get something similar to this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43394

Don't forget to check reviews on certain items first though... wink.gif

That's alright...I managed to get my CD cleaned enough to where I could get the icon files that I needed, thank you everyone for trying though!

The default icons are stored in SHELL32.dll which is in the c:\windows\system32\ folder

As for why would he do this? Does it matter? Maybe it's what he likes.

Why did/do people try make their XP/Vista look like the Mac OS? Because they can and there's nothing wrong with it.

I run XP in classic mode, not just the theme but also the start menu. Why? Because I think the XP theme is crap and bloated with glitter and flash. If I had Vista I'd do the same. When I get Win7 (after it's finally released) I'll do whatever I can to make as classic looking as possible.

Edited by Wolf68k
FireFighterEMTChuckDale
The default icons are stored in SHELL32.dll which is in the c:\windows\system32\ folder

As for why would he do this? Does it matter? Maybe it's what he likes.

Why did/do people try make their XP/Vista look like the Mac OS? Because they can and there's nothing wrong with it.

I run XP in classic mode, not just the theme but also the start menu. Why? Because I think the XP theme is crap and bloated with glitter and flash. If I had Vista I'd do the same. When I get Win7 (after it's finally released) I'll do whatever I can to make as classic looking as possible.

Thank you, finally someone that understands!