2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dingdongs

Marriage Equality

Should Same Sex Marriage be legal or illegal?  

509 members have voted

1. 1. Should Same Sex Marriage be legal or illegal?

• It should be legal
    • It should be illegal

philster_12
I dont see how having straight foster carers differs from having gay/lesbian foster carers. We are meant to live in a society were this sort of issue isn't a problem. But I guess some people just cant handle it, for what ever reason that may be; homophobia and insecurity being the main ones I guess.

yeah, because its sound so.......... dum angry.gif

uNi

The world is filled with kid with different kind of issues, and they have a mother and a father I don't think this can be pointed has a problem here.

BigAmericanTitties
I dont see how having straight foster carers differs from having gay/lesbian foster carers. We are meant to live in a society were this sort of issue isn't a problem. But I guess some people just cant handle it, for what ever reason that may be; homophobia and insecurity being the main ones I guess.

We're meant to, but we don't. At least where I live, homophobia is pretty common. If it's not as rampant around the world, then I dont think it'll be a problem.

Seachmall

I'll admit to being a bit sceptical about gay couples having kids. I'm just curious as to what, if any, psychological or emotional impact it will have on the child. One side of me is saying a child needs both a mother and father while the other side is saying there are families with only one parent who do perfectly fine. What's the difference, from a parenting perspective, of having two mothers or two fathers aside from additional support? Are there any?

The social stigma of it, particularly in schools, would of course be tough but it's not something we can really just run away from. It's one of those things that needs to be dealt with head-on. Either way should the closed-mindedness of students (and other parents) really have an impact on the rights of gay couples to adopt children?

Omnia sunt Communia

What people tend to overlook when considering homosexual adoption as a possibility is the fact that heterosexual couples don't always fit into the pre-determined roles of "mum" and "dad" like every Disney movie would lead us to believe. We live in a modern society where the mother may no longer be the stay-at-home housewife/in-house maid and the father is the provider. There are hundreds of couples of express polar opposites of this formula; with the father acting as the carer (AKA "mum") and the mother acting as the providier (AKA "dad").

There are even instances where both parties will take up the same role; with both parents (mum and dad) staying at home or both going to work to earn a living. In this sense the child has "two mums" and "two dads".

Since these roles are not sex specific there is nothing to stop a homosexual couple creating the same "mother/father" structure that has been shown to be key to a child's development. One part of the couple may become the "mother" while the other takes up the role of provider/"father".

People need to realise that "mum" and "dad" can be more of an socialogical term then a biological one. Just because your have two male parents does not mean you have two dads. Just because you have two female parents does not mean you have two mums. You may refer to them as such put looking at it from a socialogical point of view you may have one of each; just like any other child.

philster_12
There are even instances where both parties will take up the same role; with both parents (mum and dad) staying at home or both going to work to earn a living. In this sense the child has "two mums" and "two dads".

Since these roles are not sex specific there is nothing to stop a homosexual couple creating the same "mother/father" structure that has been shown to be key to a child's development. One part of the couple may become the "mother" while the other takes up the role of provider/"father".

People need to realise that "mum" and "dad" can be more of an socialogical term then a biological one. Just because your have two male parents does not mean you have two dads. Just because you have two female parents does not mean you have two mums. You may refer to them as such put looking at it from a socialogical point of view you may have one of each; just like any other child.

Well besides this, what will be the reaction of your fellow classmates that your mom is a "gaydude" or homo catspider.gif

Omnia sunt Communia

Probably the same if you're poor, or have ginger hair, or if your parents are young, or if your parents are mixed race, or if your parents are from ethnic minorities etc. People find reasons to hate other people no matter who they are and then this hatred rubs off on their children. I don't think it really matters who your parents are; you're always open to abuse and bullying.

philster_12
Probably the same if you're poor, or have ginger hair, or if your parents are young, or if your parents are mixed race, or if your parents are from ethnic minorities etc. People find reasons to hate other people no matter who they are and then this hatred rubs off on their children. I don't think it really matters who your parents are; you're always open to abuse and bullying.

Well you got a point there, but those things that you said are somewhat excusable, unlike when your parents are "gaydudes/homo" I mean where the H*ll did you see homosexual parents, unlike gingerhair and mixed raced families it happens ALL THE TIME. but wth homosexual parents! theres no excuse for that, so i prefer they stay together than ruening a child personality.

Doink
i'd say no, The Y chromosome is slowly decreasing as days past

What has that got to do with anything?

i'm saying, you rather have a wife and have kids rather than being a gaydude (you'll end up with nothing)

There's this awesome thing called adoption. Ya know, it gives kids a home to go to. Its pretty good imo.

Though I support gay marriage, adoption can be an issue for the kid. The kid'll be confused as hell when his/her parents are 2 guys (unless the kid is recently born or hasn't been taught about marriage and birth), and s/he will face discrimination at school (most likley). And for that, they might grow to hate his/her parents and homosexuality.

I grew up with a couple of kids who had 2 moms and they were perfectly content with it. They've turned out to be normal human beings.

However, I can see your point and I know the case for those 2 kids are not the same for other adoptees of homosexual couples. I was just trying to point out the flaw in his "you can't have kids" statement.

because theres nothing wierd if you grow up with two moms, its happens sometime (no homosexual) . and i never heard two dad (one being a Homosexual)

parenting a child, probably the child could have identity problems in the future.

Um, its just as weird having two moms as it is having two dads imo.

Let me guess. You just hate gay males, but it turns you on when you see two hot chicks make out, right?

Omnia sunt Communia

No excuse for being gay? I'm sorry but that's just absurb. I don't think people can't be held responsible for being homosexual. I'm pretty sure it isn't a choice.

Even if you're speaking about their choice to have children; then it still doesn't make sense. A ethnic minority couple have the choice not to have a child, why don't they? A poor couple have the choice not to have a child, why don't they? A mixed race couple have the choice to have a child, why don't they?

Who said they will ruin the child? I know of plenty of hetereosexual couples who abuse, molest and generally mistreat their children. Ruining a child isn't a exclusive homosexual club that you can only join if you like people of the same sex, you know?

philster_12
No excuse for being gay? I'm sorry but that's just absurb. I don't think people can't be held responsible for being homosexual. I'm pretty sure it isn't a choice.

Even if you're speaking about their choice to have children; then it still doesn't make sense. A ethnic minority couple have the choice not to have a child, why don't they? A poor couple have the choice not to have a child, why don't they? A mixed race couple have the choice to have a child, why don't they?

Who said they will ruin the child? I know of plenty of hetereosexual couples who abuse, molest and generally mistreat their children. Ruining a child isn't a exclusive homosexual club that you can only join if you like people of the same sex, you know?

no, not about being gay- (well its the decision of the Homosexual to be Gay), its about The Parenting from a Homosexual,

because, who knows the childs personality could have identity problems in the future (Parents Are Role Models if they adopted a 5 year old it will have a good chance to have identity problem), but well you have a point, its there choice to have a child , so if they adopted a child it should be a baby instead

Omnia sunt Communia

It is not the homosexual's choice to be gay. Do you think there would be as many homosexual people in the world if it was a choice, considering the abudance of homophobia in the world? I think not.

I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 adoptees suffer some sort of identity problem at one point in their life. Living with a couple who you believe to be your birth parents only to discover they are, infact, not your actual parents will cause problems in any person's life. I do not see how homosexuals will be any different. If anything it will make it easier for them because it's pretty obvious from the outset that these people aren't their actual parents, because it would be biologically impossible.

philster_12
It is not the homosexual's choice to be gay. Do you think there would be as many homosexual people in the world if it was a choice, considering the abudance of homophobia in the world? I think not.

I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 adoptees suffer some sort of identity problem at one point in their life. Living with a couple who you believe to be your birth parents only to discover they are, infact, not your actual parents will cause problems in any person's life. I do not see how homosexuals will be any different. If anything it will make it easier for them because it's pretty obvious from the outset that these people aren't their actual parents, because it would be biologically impossible.

I, did'nt say choice (no edit on that post suicidal.gif) , What i meant before a Homo became a Homo , he could have been mistreated or somesort of insulted or a Turning point that he decided to be a homo, besides no one told him to be a homo anyway

WELL another point for you, Identity problems do commonly happen to adopted children ,However which is more worse, Having strait Parents or Gay Parents , at least even if the strait parents aint your parents , you are unlikely to be insulted/teased by people for that matter. and guess what happens if one of you parents are gay

Clem Fandango
WELL another point for you, Identity problems do commonly happen to adopted children ,However which is more worse, Having strait Parents or Gay Parents , at least even if the strait parents aint your parents , you are unlikely to be insulted/teased by people for that matter. and guess what happens if one of you parents are gay

In case you somehow missed all the points I brought up about this on the fourth page.

I've pretty much refuted your talking point about identity issues. You're talking about identity problems, however (as I outline above) a child is sure to end up with identity issues about their homosexuality when there are government laws put in place because who they are is supposedly unnatural - furthermore, that argument is like saying we should "breed out the black" in order to prevent racism, or that rape is the woman's fault for not wearing a cloth over hear head (because who wants to rape some shapeless, hooded bitch?). You should address that, as well as what I said about being adopted > having no parents or never being born at all.

I also liked Jacky's point about androgynous relationships. How gender roles in a relationship affect kids isn't something you can legislate, given there are at least as many androgynous straight relationships as there are homosexual/lesbian relationships. The only thing you're lesbian mother can't teach you that your androgynous/slightly feminine dad can teach you is how to shave your face. dozingoff.gif

There are plenty of families consisting of two mothers that need men like a fish needs a bicycle, and families consisting of two fathers that-- well, you get the point. Penn & Teller did a great show about this.

That episode is pretty much all you need to refer to in any argument where "family values, marriage, corner stone of civilisation bla bla bla" is brought up. The key points being, that society is different than it was in cave man times: you don't need a mans build to put food on the table, so androgynous relationships where the man stays home and the woman works are certainly acceptable and actually commonplace in modern times, so the kid shouldn't be screwed up by it. Also, that marriage was "traditionally" used to form family bonds to secure land, or to end family feuds, which is why what's-his-face wanted Romeo & Juliet to get together in the play, to end the Montague and Capulet feud, he didn't give a damn about how they felt for each other. It seems this "marriage being used as a bond between families" panic occurred somewhere between cave man times and the 1950s, but Cultural Conservatives choose to leave that massive part of history out, because it kind of kills their "tradition" argument; that marriage is built into us; that things have "always been this way, why mess with success". What a load of bullsh*t.

What i meant before a Homo became a Homo , he could have been mistreated or somesort of insulted or a Turning point that he decided to be a homo, besides no one told him to be a homo anyway

Okay, first off, the term "homo" is slightly derogatory, and therefore, quite inappropriate for a debate about politics and sociology.

Secondly, there is no evidence to suggest homosexuals made a choice to become who they are. Why this is considered "default" (ie, those who claim homosexuality is a choice assert that the burden of proof is on those who claim otherwise) is beyond me. As far as I can see, anything is possible, and odds are, it's a combination of social and genetic factors.

A choice doesn't seem logical in the slightest, either. Can you choose to be gay and then choose to quickly change back? Because I certainly can't, nor can anyone I know. Can you remember a time in your life where you chose to be straight? Because I certainly can't, nor can anyone I know. It's just such an absurd notion; I don't even know what it's based on. At least those who say it's genetic have some correlation (more gays in certain families etc.) they can use as evidence, as well as the fact that other preferences can be genetic, and those who refer to social factors as the cause have the fact that the person you are attracted to when you're older depends largely on your parents.

This business about choice appears to be just pulled out of thin air, with no evidence, and a complete lack of any theory to support what they say. It makes less than no sense; it's negative sense; you owe me some sense!

WaffleStomp

I'm pro gay marriage, on the federal level, that is.

The system some states have with all of this seperate but equal civil union sh*t is just putting us back to black people not being able to use the same fountains.

Asoyfy37

I think that marriage should get out of the laws at all. If you want to do a ceremony that "shows your partens you love them", then fine. No one needs the goverment fo that. I voted for no, and I would simply vote for no to any marriage. As I said before, monogamy is a problem. People feel the need to be married, but they dont understand that they can live with who they want without any problems. Other thing is, that gay people should put a G on somewhere where other people can see, and staights should do the same with S. It will make my personal life easier, I would wear the N - not looking for sex (or other sex). From the age of 18, people should wear those things. But on topic: marriage itself shouldnt be a part of a law, just a ceremony, that way you can "marrie" a lot of people from any sex. We still have this monogamy thing because of the religions.

General Goose

So everyone walks around with G's, S's and N's?

A) Intrusion on civil rights.

B) Opens up the door to homophobia.

C) Impossible to manage.

D) It's just stupid, it may help you find a legible partner easier but it's still stupid.

Asoyfy37

Then have the right not to wear it. But those signs should be international.

markjaysongalang

I do not care about people, but how can they have an offspring with same-sex?

General Goose

I do not care about people,

Wait, what?

but how can they have an offspring with same-sex?

Simple. Adoption.

Svip
but how can they have an offspring with same-sex?

Simple. Adoption.

Also sperm banks and the beauty of technology!

Saitan

I think it's fine if Homosexuals wish to be married, I just don't think they should be able to adopt children. It could do a fair bit of physiological harm to kids.

Mike Tequeli
I think it's fine if Homosexuals wish to be married, I just don't think they should be able to adopt children. It could do a fair bit of physiological harm to kids.

Please explain how this psychological damage could occur.

Saitan

Kids, are cruel. If some kids found out the kid had homosexual parents, they might make fun of him. causing him to resent his parents, or even the entire gay community. Or, he would himself, think that being gay was the norm. even if it's alright to be gay, I still don't think it's normal. just like it's not normal to be serial killer, you may think you were "born that way" but it doesn't make it normal.

Or, i could be completely wrong, and the child would be just fine.

Seachmall
I still don't think it's normal. just like it's not normal to be serial killer, you may think you were "born that way" but it doesn't make it normal.

Than how do we define normal? Social acceptance?

Exactly, we shouldn't determine someone's rights based on hypothetical scenarios.

DHoff

I don't see a problem with it.

Reggie.T
Kids, are cruel. If some kids found out the kid had homosexual parents, they might make fun of him. causing him to resent his parents, or even the entire gay community. Or, he would himself, think that being gay was the norm. even if it's alright to be gay, I still don't think it's normal. just like it's not normal to be serial killer, you may think you were "born that way" but it doesn't make it normal.

I agree, I mean would you like to have homosexual parents?

Ad Rem

Well if you want to go down this road, we might as well go ahead and assign parents a proper dress and behavioural code, as children with e.g. beatnik parents might get picked on and as a result become severely traumatised. It should also be strictly regulated who is allowed to have children in the first place. Parents with low income will not afford to buy their sons and daughters various trendy doohickys, thus the kids will religiously receive beatings from their peers for not owning the latest iGadget. Now that's just wrong. Furthermore, if you live in an area where you are a part of an ethnic minority, to prevent possible racial discrimination in the future, you should not be allowed to breed. These examples may seem harsh but remember, we must protect the children.

Kids are mean. Kids will always pick on someone for whatever reason, be it the wrong kind of shoes or homosexual parents. Live with it. Besides, if gay parenting would become more common, it would also stop being such a curiosity and that would cut down the amount of playground bullies actually bothering to harass someone for it. Those last few lines of Saitan's reply were just noise so I'll just skip over to Reggie.T's fine sentence like a jolly little girl.

So, let's see. You're saying that the sexual preferences of a parent matter more than their actual parenting skills. Well, I can see where you're coming from, except that I can't and that makes no sense whatsoever. Since a homosexual couple clearly can't conceive a child themselves, they will have to adopt one or alternatively manufacture a little test tube baby. The former option displays compassion and a real desire to raise a child, the latter that they have moola. I dare say both options are better than some broke drunk knocking up his girlfriend and rather than raising a child, simply putting up with him for two decades. Both forementioned processes also requires the couple to actually qualify for being parents, that ought to cut down the risk of lousy parents.

Mike Tequeli

It doesn't matter, this isn't the government's responsibility. That pretty much seals it, as previously stated there is no government sponsored model of normalcy so the question is irrelevant.

Reggie.T

Well if you want to go down this road, we might as well go ahead and assign parents a proper dress and behavioural code, as children with e.g. beatnik parents might get picked on and as a result become severely traumatised. It should also be strictly regulated who is allowed to have children in the first place. Parents with low income will not afford to buy their sons and daughters various trendy doohickys, thus the kids will religiously receive beatings from their peers for not owning the latest iGadget. Now that's just wrong. Furthermore, if you live in an area where you are a part of an ethnic minority, to prevent possible racial discrimination in the future, you should not be allowed to breed. These examples may seem harsh but remember, we must protect the children.

Kids are mean. Kids will always pick on someone for whatever reason, be it the wrong kind of shoes or homosexual parents. Live with it. Besides, if gay parenting would become more common, it would also stop being such a curiosity and that would cut down the amount of playground bullies actually bothering to harass someone for it. Those last few lines of Saitan's reply were just noise so I'll just skip over to Reggie.T's fine sentence like a jolly little girl.

So, let's see. You're saying that the sexual preferences of a parent matter more than their actual parenting skills. Well, I can see where you're coming from, except that I can't and that makes no sense whatsoever. Since a homosexual couple clearly can't conceive a child themselves, they will have to adopt one or alternatively manufacture a little test tube baby. The former option displays compassion and a real desire to raise a child, the latter that they have moola. I dare say both options are better than some broke drunk knocking up his girlfriend and rather than raising a child, simply putting up with him for two decades. Both forementioned processes also requires the couple to actually qualify for being parents, that ought to cut down the risk of lousy parents.

Okay, but you've still not answered my question, so would you?