4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

The Sopranos

El Zilcho

Wayne Kerr

So after hearing a lot of good stuff about this show, I finally watched the pilot for the first time an hour back

It really has me intrigued. Tony instantly came across to me as a charismatic man, it's hard not to get charmed when he gets those CDs for his mom and shows his concern for his classmate and how he tries to be a good family man, I especially liked his thing with the ducks, was quite endearing, though obviously he's messed up with that scene in the park and all. It's interesting that for a guy who is said to run NJ he seems kind of a chump lol but it's a nice spin on things

Most of the characters seem nice, the infighting in Tony's family was done well in the sense there wasn't too much screaming and stuff and you can tell the family cares for each other but they're pretty dysfunctional too

I really like the dialogue, especially the conversations with Dr Melfi, it's just the pilot but I like Tony's tendency to sound all philosophical about stuff, I enjoy that stuff and hope there's more of it in the future episodes even though I guess the mafia action will be showed more

Nice way to end the episode with the intrigue of what Tony's mom and uncle are thinking of doing

One character I didn't like was Christopher he seems like an asshole to me lol, like a punk who thinks he's too hot. I guess that's cause he's young and a mafia dude so he let's the power get to his head but that don't make him likeable lol. 

Excited to watch more, I heard of how it ends but I dont know much beyond the very final scene so it's still more or less me jumping into it fresh. 

Edited by Utopianthumbs
  • Like 4
Mister Pink
13 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

One character I didn't like was Christopher he seems like an asshole to me lol, like a punk who thinks he's too hot. I guess that's cause he's young and a mafia dude so he let's the power get to his head but that don't make him likeable lol. 

Yeah Chris is one of these tragic characters you see that keeps making the same mistakes over and over and you just want to grab him by the scruff of the neck and tell him where to go. He's a great character though. I particularly liked when he was the made pay the bills for everything he's new blood, even if he's related to the boss man. He has to go through this rite of passage. But he's also example of the young kids coming up. They don't retain any of the graciousness of the old mob before him. Even the guys Chris tries to bring in are very low-grade usually get wiped out very quickly. You kind of get this sense that they are a dying family and the torch can't/wont really be passed down to anyone because those that are coming up are week and the capos are getting older. 

Thing about scenes like this is that even though we know how much of a f*ck-up Chris can be, you kind of empathize and feel for him because we've all been that "new kid" or bottom the rank in a new job or whatever. 

Anyway, glad you are enjoying The Sopranos. I find a I have great respect for fans of this show. Those that still watch it and still champion it to me are people I get along easy with. It's like a Members Club. ;) 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 4
RenegadeAngel
12 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

I enjoy that stuff and hope there's more of it in the future episodes even though I guess the mafia action will be showed more

You're in for a treat then. The Sopranos is heavily dialogue-driven, so enjoy it! Not gonna lie, I'm a bit jealous of you. The Sopranos is out of this world and the pilot episode is probably one of the least impressive parts of it. In fact, I think David Chase said the studio didn't want to pick up the show at first after seeing the pilot. He was even thinking about turning it into a feature film. Oh well, the world is lucky that HBO changed their minds eventually 😂

• Like 2
Wayne Kerr

Thanks for the feedback guys it's made me more excited to follow this series now! 

Watched upto S1E3 and it's getting interesting, things are about to go down between Uncle Jun and Tony. I particularly liked Ep3 and how the Jewish son in law showed resistance to Tony and his crew (btw is there a name given to Tony's family like is it called the 'Sopranos family'? I didn't notice their family having a name and I'm too scared to Google for anything). And I like that there's more philosophical ramblings by Tony and how he tries to find meaning in Dr Melfis painting in her office and all, it's like he is discontent and actually resents with what he's doing but he can't let go of it either, or at least that's the impression I'm getting. 

Its just been 3 episodes and this is bound to change as I watch more but I slightly changed my opinion of Tony and Chris, Tony seems more scary than a chump now and a bit more of a temperamental asshole while Chris is a bit more likeable, I like how he tried to keep a cool head in the next two episodes unlike his partner Brendan. 

The characters are really well done, not just the Sopranos but even those like Uncle Junior, Tonys mom Livia and Arthur's wife they seem like they're becoming antagonists but I can see why they feel aggrieved against Tony/Carmella too, so though they're not being positioned to root for I kinda sympathize with them too

Edited by Utopianthumbs
  • Like 2

Man to be able to watch this show for the first time again.  The Sopranos is the show that really started the golden age of Television. I just watched it because it was a "Mob" show but there are many hidden layers and deeper meanings in this show. It's tied with The Wire both for me at #1 greatest shows.

• Like 4
Mister Pink
6 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

Its just been 3 episodes and this is bound to change as I watch more but I slightly changed my opinion of Tony and Chris, Tony seems more scary than a chump now and a bit more of a temperamental asshole while Chris is a bit more likeable, I like how he tried to keep a cool head in the next two episodes unlike his partner Brendan. 

My apologies man. I misread your original post. I thought you watched the first 3 seasons not episodes. I hope wasn't spoiling Chris's character for you so early. 

But yeah, sounds like you are enjoying it. It just gets better and better as other storylines unfold. 

• Like 2
Wayne Kerr
5 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

My apologies man. I misread your original post. I thought you watched the first 3 seasons not episodes. I hope wasn't spoiling Chris's character for you so early. 

But yeah, sounds like you are enjoying it. It just gets better and better as other storylines unfold. 

Lmao! No worries at all my man your post only got me way more excited to watch the show

Yeah it's love at first sight for me, don't worry I'll breeze through 3 seasons before you know it :pp

• Like 2
Lonely-Martin
7 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

(btw is there a name given to Tony's family like is it called the 'Sopranos family'? I didn't notice their family having a name and I'm too scared to Google for anything).

The DiMeo Family. It's a fictional one but based off an outfit from the area that is just outside of the five families IIRC, though forgot the actual name of the family that inspired the one in the show.

• Like 2
Mister Pink

The DeCavalcante Family is the real family they drew some inspiration from. There are actually FBI tapes of the real mob guys calling each other saying "What's this f*cking thing, Sopranos? Is that supposed to be us?" which was submitted as evidence against them.  

Watch the first minute of this but watch no more as there is spoilers in this documentary. But you can hear the recordings in the first minute. 

• Like 3
  • KEKW 1
RenegadeAngel

I just want to say that The Sopranos has the best theme song I've ever heard in a TV show. It's been 10 years since I've discovered it and it's still on my rotation. Just perfect, both for the show and casual listening. 

Edited by RenegadeAngel
  • Like 4
Lonely-Martin
2 hours ago, RenegadeAngel said:

I just want to say that The Sopranos has the best theme song I've ever heard in a TV show. It's been 10 years since I've discovered it and it's still on my rotation. Just perfect, both for the show and casual listening. 

It is a cracking track, one I'd have never sought out or heard had it not been for the show. Much like a few tracks from the GTA franchise where I'd not given a song any consideration or not even heard of it, and now it's become a regular one on a playlist for some easy listening. That and...

Spoiler

Journey - Don't Stop Believing from the finale has become a classic track as I find myself looking back fondly on that first time I watched the series/that finale. Can't help but see that episide anytime I hear it.

• Like 4
Mister Pink

I'd highly recommend anyone to check out some more Alabama 3. They're pretty good. I've seen them live briefly before I knew who they were or before I ever watched The Sopranos. Got a free ticket of some randomer outside the venue. It meant nothing to me other than I love music but I was underage (looked older) and I knew I could slip into that venue, and some woman, probably in her 20's, I was about 17. She was asking to see if anyone wanted a spare ticket. I was the only one out of my group of friends that had a chance of going in. Think she thought we were probably trying to go to the gig. I accepted it, like a selfish idiot and went in and watched them for a few minutes then left cause my mates were outside. The band are actually from the UK. 

This is a real catchy one from them. It's very similar to Woke Up This Morning. 

• Like 1
Naughtius Maximus
On 11/26/2020 at 11:57 PM, Mister Pink said:

The DeCavalcante Family is the real family they drew some inspiration from. There are actually FBI tapes of the real mob guys calling each other saying "What's this f*cking thing, Sopranos? Is that supposed to be us?" which was submitted as evidence against them.  

Watch the first minute of this but watch no more as there is spoilers in this documentary. But you can hear the recordings in the first minute. 

Oh yeah, I remember reading somewhere about a dude in the DeCavalcante Family called Vinny Ocean who was apparently a partial inspiration for the character of Tony Soprano. That documentary is a nice find, I'll be sure to check it out. 

On 11/29/2020 at 4:29 PM, Lonely-Martin said:

It is a cracking track, one I'd have never sought out or heard had it not been for the show. Much like a few tracks from the GTA franchise where I'd not given a song any consideration or not even heard of it, and now it's become a regular one on a playlist for some easy listening. That and...

Reveal hidden contents

Journey - Don't Stop Believing from the finale has become a classic track as I find myself looking back fondly on that first time I watched the series/that finale. Can't help but see that episide anytime I hear it.

The whole Sopranos soundtrack is quite a gem over all. I remember watching the show and some familiar song kicks in, prompting me to say "Yeah, I know that song and its use in this particular scene is just genius.". And of course, there were a good number of unknown tracks, equally good and proper. The use of Don't Stop Believing was an interesting choice (even though I have mixed feelings about the great finale). For another one, I'd certainly show this:

Spoiler
  • When Tony B whacks Joey Peeps, Bad N' Ruin by Faces begins to play. The song builds a good tension into Blundetto filling Peeps and the whore with bullets. As Tony B runs back to his car with a bad limp, the song's tempo kinda slows down, fading to the credits.

Apart from that, I bumped into this video on YouTube - a nice selection of perfect music-scene collaborations in the show. For some of these scenes, SPOILER ALERT:

Spoiler

• Like 1
Mister Pink
21 minutes ago, Naughtius Maximus said:

Apart from that, I bumped into this video on YouTube - a nice selection of perfect music-scene collaborations in the show.

Yeah nice video. Whoever made that was great to have no commentary and let the tracks play through.