3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Chinatown Wars: A Return To Form?

Omnia sunt Communia

Omnia sunt Communia

I've been playing Grand Theft Auto games since 1997 when the original was released. Since then I've played pretty much every single title (except Advance & The Lost & Damned). Out of all those games, one stands out above the rest; that game is... Chinatown Wars.

Why do I think so highly of this game? Because unlike other recent games released within the franchise, Chinatown Wars focuses more on gameplay, as opposed to graphics. Rockstar Leeds made full use of the Nintendo DS, and not by creating the best graphics possible, but by creating the best gameplay possible.

I may just be seeing this game through nostalgia goggles, as it calls to mind the 'old school' Grand Theft Auto titles, but I do think this is the direction Rockstar should be heading. They're not trying to shove messages down our throat about the dangers of drugs, or the struggle to find the one, they're letting us be criminals. In the end, isn't that what Grand Theft Auto is all about?

I welcome the return of side missions like Taxi Driver, Paramedic and whatnot. I also applaud the new ones; like Drug Dealing, Noodle Delivery and Warehouse Raids. These are the things that keep us playing, not state of the art graphics and a morally north compass.

Who else agrees?

You are definitely on the right track there! GTA has never been about graphics, well maybe up until GTA IV. But I'm glad R* Leeds finally got how to make an almost perfect GTA game. Not that the Stories game weren't bad, they were off the charts, but R* Leeds managed to pull off a true GTA game on the weakest current-generation platform. They focused more on the pacing and the gameplay, which is what made GTA 3 so damn good.

Have you even noticed that ChinaTown Wars is getting a lot more publicity than the Stories games ever did? I think it's because, while the Stories game were great, there wasn't anything new about them. They played like their predecessors, only then you had it in the palm of your hands. But ChinaTown Wars is something almost completely different, yet to everybody it seems the best GTA experience they've ever seen.

I only own a PSP but somehow I regret not having a DS...

Omnia sunt Communia

I sound crazy when I say this, but Rockstar Leeds seem to be better at making Grand Theft Auto games then North! I have played all the games Leeds designed (Liberty/Vice City Stories & Chinatown Wars) and found them much more enjoyable than the home console counterparts.

Leeds seem to focus on gameplay. Introducing new aspects like the Salesmen Missions in LCS or the Empire Building in VCS. Chinatown Wars is not exception! They introduced a whole string of new features that help to make the game all the more memorable.

I haven't completed Chinatown Wars yet, but I'm already hoping for another game on the DS!

i had very similar thoughts just today. The reason were my rampage sprees yesterday. I had so much fun with it, and then i realized that i never really did the rampages in the 3D parts. Its some kind of 2D arcade thingy for me like Robotron and stuff (i know CTW is 3D but the gameplay is 2D-ish). It just does not work really well in 3D for me.

And i could tell the same bout driving. As much as i love the super fun realistic handling in IV, it is not what GTA was all about in the first place. It was this funny fast top-down racing like in awesome Super Cars 2 on Amiga (back in the days turn.gif ).

So i really love that with CTW we are back to the roots GTA-wise. I even could imagine very well a similar top-down game like CTW for the big consoles and PC. And what HAS to happen is CTW 2 on DS alien.gif

€: shame that i did not play the story games (have no PSP), it seems to be a crime biggrin.gif

Edited by Grouch79

ScratchCard

After playing IV, playing CTW was a breeze. More to do, more colorful graphics, and less boring 'Niko you wanna go bowling' stuff. And more over the top weapons, like my alltime favorite: the minigun biggrin.gif

springsteen_fan
I've been playing Grand Theft Auto games since 1997 when the original was released. Since then I've played pretty much every single title (except Advance & The Lost & Damned). Out of all those games, one stands out above the rest; that game is... Chinatown Wars.

Why do I think so highly of this game? Because unlike other recent games released within the franchise, Chinatown Wars focuses more on gameplay, as opposed to graphics. Rockstar Leeds made full use of the Nintendo DS, and not by creating the best graphics possible, but by creating the best gameplay possible.

I may just be seeing this game through nostalgia goggles, as it calls to mind the 'old school' Grand Theft Auto titles, but I do think this is the direction Rockstar should be heading. They're not trying to shove messages down our throat about the dangers of drugs, or the struggle to find the one, they're letting us be criminals. In the end, isn't that what Grand Theft Auto is all about?

I welcome the return of side missions like Taxi Driver, Paramedic and whatnot. I also applaud the new ones; like Drug Dealing, Noodle Delivery and Warehouse Raids. These are the things that keep us playing, not state of the art graphics and a morally north compass.

Who else agrees?

Couldn't have said it better myself!

icon14.gif

I absolutely agree with you.

Next episode will be on Wii. (Just kiddin') tounge.gif

By the sounds of things this game is going back down to the tried and tested route with the old skool pastimes. I think thats great of course. And Rockstar Leeds have done very well so far..

And no- a Wii GTA would not go down to well.. cryani.gifsuicidal.gifangry.gif

Omnia sunt Communia
By the sounds of things this game is going back down to the tried and tested route with the old skool pastimes. I think thats great of course. And Rockstar Leeds have done very well so far..

That's what so great about it. Not only does it rely on tried and tested formulas to create superb game play, it also gives you a whole host of new features to play with. The drug dealing aspect of the game, alone, is something that a lot of us die hard fans have been waiting for, for a long time.

Ever since Vice City came out, and I discovered that you become this big wealthy drug baron, I've always wanted to be the one selling the drugs. Being able to go out there and make the money yourself. Instead it was just implied during the missions, and never seen after that.

ive never thought bout that.... the graphics do suck majorly but the gameplay is very awesome like he said RS leeds is doing a good job at gameplay and not focusing on graphics but games like halo 3 and GTA IV are selling better tho but looking at gta ctw it blew OFF the charts smile.gif

Next episode will be on Wii. (Just kiddin') tounge.gif

No, please, don't say you're kidding.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter wich console it's on. The ultimate example is Chinatown Wars. Who would know that a GTA game would be so goddamn great on a Nintendo DS? If the team put some real effort on the game, I think that a Wii GTA would be awesome, but it needs to be done right, it can't be a cheap game.

One thing that I want is a GTASA remake for the Wii, with better lightining, textures and POSSIBLY ragdoll, since I don't think that Euphoria is possible. If it was done with a good control scheme, I don't see what could go wrong.

The way I saw CtW was GTA IV for the GTA III fan. With the Rampages and stuff, it really got back to its roots, but it also added some of the stuff that made IV great.