3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

How to use -memrestrict to fix stuttering

Rockstar Toronto

Brenasarous
Yeah, try it.

I tried it, and it brought my FPS back up a bit, but it also started to stutter again a bit. Are you saying that this is a solution I should try and stay away from?

• 2 weeks later...
Brenasarous
Well, if it works, don't change it, I guess. You can try this to lower your FPS as well http://rapidshare.com/#!download|487|1...ter_0.2.rar|166

Hey man, things seem to be working well, I'm not experiencing any issues at all with stuttering. The only thing that I've noticed is with some of the in-game cutscenes it will lag a bit, but that's happened twice. Thanks for your help through all this, it was a great help and is much appreciated.

ElectricLadyland
Create a .txt file in the root directory of the game (C:\Program files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV) called "commandline". Within this file type

-memrestrict 188743680

and save. When you run the game by pressing the "PLAY" button in RGSC the command line will be read. With this number you should notice no stuttering but you might notice some texture popping. Quit the game, then try the next number up in the sequence. Continue raising the number until you see stuttering again, and then go back to the number prior to seeing any stuttering. The value you use will be different than anyone else based on your hardware setup, video driver, and personal tolerance for texture popping/stuttering.

It won't let me save it

What do you mean? You can't save the text file? Are you getting any errors? It might be UAC causing issues, create the document on the desktop and then move it to the install folder.

Jimbatron
Create a .txt file in the root directory of the game (C:\Program files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV) called "commandline".  Within this file type

-memrestrict 188743680

and save.  When you run the game by pressing the "PLAY" button in RGSC the command line will be read.  With this number you should notice no stuttering but you might notice some texture popping.  Quit the game, then try the next number up in the sequence.  Continue raising the number until you see stuttering again, and then go back to the number prior to seeing any stuttering.  The value you use will be different than anyone else based on your hardware setup, video driver, and personal tolerance for texture popping/stuttering.

It won't let me save it

If you are on Windows 7, your user account control may not allow you to save text files to parts of the C drive such as the programs folder. You may need to lower this bar in your control pannel:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows...account-control

ElectricLadyland
Create a .txt file in the root directory of the game (C:\Program files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV) called "commandline".  Within this file type

-memrestrict 188743680

and save.  When you run the game by pressing the "PLAY" button in RGSC the command line will be read.  With this number you should notice no stuttering but you might notice some texture popping.  Quit the game, then try the next number up in the sequence.  Continue raising the number until you see stuttering again, and then go back to the number prior to seeing any stuttering.  The value you use will be different than anyone else based on your hardware setup, video driver, and personal tolerance for texture popping/stuttering.

It won't let me save it

If you are on Windows 7, your user account control may not allow you to save text files to parts of the C drive such as the programs folder. You may need to lower this bar in your control pannel:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows...account-control

thanks, it works now

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone,

please pardon me, if my spelling it not correct or I make any other mistake., english is not my mothertongue.

To get to my point. I bought GTA IV EFLC last thursday, went asap home and installed it. After I noticed my graphiccard is just to slow for this game I decided to get a new one. On friday I got my brandnew nvidia GTS450 but my pc was kidding me and I had several problems and GTA IV EFLC killed my RAM. Anyways, I reinstalled Windows XP SP3, made anything I could, bought 4 GB RAM-sticks added it to my system. After all these changes and spending more and more money, I still had the same roblem. GTA IV EFLC got freezed. The whole game freezed, sometimes I were able to kill the process of the game but mainly I needed to hardreset my system.

After hours of searching in google, I got finally to this site and I am full of hope you could give me a helping hand. I tried this -memrestriction thong but even with the lowest value it did not work.

systeminformation:

cpu: Intel C2D E6750 2x 2,66GHz

ram: 4GB (it has been confirmde that these rams are working with my motherboard)

gpu: nVidia GTS450 (up2date driver)

If I forgot something, please let me know.

And just one hing, I am thanking you already for any help you can give me.

oceanseye

It's "memrestrict" not "memrestriction" if that makes any difference. To make sure the commandlines are properly read, place this inside your commandline.txt file

-benchmark

it should start a benchmark every time you run the game.

Which settings are you running the game at and at which resolution? How many VRAM does the card have? Do you have any extra processes running in the background?

I'll try -memrestict ... I guess I just were too fast. Additionally I will try -benchmark in the commandline.

The graphiccard has a VRAM of 1GB which is allocatd by the BIOS, os and the game. Resolution is 1280*1024 with all settings to low.

Only typical windowsprocesses are running in background, antivirussoftware is tunred completly off.

I'll let you know whether it is working now.

alrighty then, I set -benchmark in the commandline and it worked. GTAIV were started as benchmark and ran smooth without any problem while the benchmark was active. I corrected the -memrestrict and played one mission, so far everything went fine.

Thanks a lot for your help!

just one thing to add to get you informed.

I changed the graphiccards. I uninstalled the GTS450 and reinstalled my 8600GTS. So, just make a guess what happened. After playing about one hour it freezed my scrren and my tft went off. I knew immediatly the reason why, the 8600 GTS is just not powerfl enough so I figured out what the real god damn mistake is ... the GTS450 is broken. I'll get it back to the reseller just tomorrow and will ask for a new one. Could you imagine that these problems were madeby a broken graphiccard. I am still angry and mad, but, no offense, you helped me a lot.

god damn it, I never thought that a brandnew grapphiccard could drive me straight to madness ...

Are you sure it's broken? You should conduct some tests and if there are no overheating issues or visible rendering errors the card is probably fine.

the gts450 is broken I am sure of it. coz due to it is broken graphics are loading real slow, rendering is not stable and sometimes I even have probems with coloured things on windows or while I am surfing thru the internet. the old graphiccard has no problem with things like this.

jupp and that i the point why it is broken. artifacts and long loading issues and one BDO after the other. Ich returned it right today and I'll get a new one tomorrow. let's hope everything will be alright.

finally, I got the new graphiccard today. it is stil a nvidia GTS450 and after playing for about one hour, everything went fine, graphics loaded correctly and fast. I deleted the -memrestrict commandline and the game is running stable and smooth.

Brenasarous
Well, if it works, don't change it, I guess. You can try this to lower your FPS as well http://rapidshare.com/#!download|487|1...ter_0.2.rar|166

Hey, it's me again haha. So I've been playing the game recently and have noticed a few issues with the commandlines that I was given by the guy from YouTube. Although they are helping remove stuttering, they are adding a laundry list of other issues, so I'm just going to say if there's another way to fix this I would like to do that, but for the time being they do what they need to. As I have added the commandline "-refreshrate 31" the obvious result is a drastic reduction in my fps. There are times where the game is slowed down so much that it chugs along at something that resembles a slideshow, particularly when its it raining. I have also noticed that it removes some of the texturing, most noticeable in the water textures. I recently stumbled upon this website in a search for more knowledge for fixing this:

http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/GFWLupdate/

Could this be what is causing my problem? I know you are not familiar with GFWL, but is this worth giving a try? My only problem is the fact that I have since done a lot in the game (87% completion) and my fear would be that un-installing GFWL from my computer would remove my progress. I'm pretty sure it's all stored online through my gamertag, but I have 67 hours logged onto the one game alone, and would dearly hate to loose it. I also finally got a reply back to my email I sent to Rockstar tech support, but they were about as helpful as a kite made of concrete, and took over month to reply back only because they wanted me to send them more information, so who knows when they will get back to me again. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you don't have the offline profile, then your savegames are indeed save online and you need GFWL to access them.

GFWL can be responsible for some issues, but it can't cripple performance severely, maybe an FPS or two on systems that are low on RAM.

Brenasarous
Well, if you don't have the offline profile, then your savegames are indeed save online and you need GFWL to access them.

GFWL can be responsible for some issues, but it can't cripple performance severely, maybe an FPS or two on systems that are low on RAM.

So is there anything else I could try doing?

• 4 weeks later...

hello ! gta fans !

about 3 months ago ! i had gta 4 installed and playing at max graphics! ( i have a good pc ! i want to brag about it !)

now i installed it !

and i have lagg problems !i set my rezolution low as possible and all the graphics low !

same thing ! lagging ! at sterring ! driving ! walking !

please from the bottom of my heart !tell me what to do !

i want to modify it ! (because i want to put my cars in the game )

You are aware there are various punctuation signs, not only the exclamation point?

You should mention your PC specs.

god dammit!!!

gta was relesed in 2008... now it will be 2011!!

Where is the fu***g patch to fix this.!?

Im playing gta iv maxed out and with shadows set to low...that how stuttering is minimum but still seen.

So now im asking myself why in the world R* are u making expansion packs for a bugged up game. End make gta 5; 4 is a fail...

And noone tell me to get a ps3!!! I've saw the graphics and perfomance on 3 ps3 and xbox- the game laggs when u throw a granade, and the graphics compared to my pc are crap!!

I have to manually set up my graphic card fan to 80% or the game runs slow - gta iv is the only game that requires that...

Help suicidal.gif

Edited by fenom
  • 5 weeks later...
xXCarcharias
If you are experiencing frame speed fluctuations, please update to the latest video drivers, then use the -memrestrict commandline. Please do not use any other commandlines as they may override the effects of this one. Start at the lowest number based on your texture setting (ie. try them one at a time) You can try to increase the number until you notice stuttering again.

-memrestrict 188743680 LOW TEXTURES (256M Video Cards)

-memrestrict 209715200

-memrestrict 230686720

-memrestrict 262144000 MED TEXTURES (512M Video Cards)

-memrestrict 293601280

-memrestrict 314572800

-memrestrict 629145600 HIGH TEXTURES (1Gig+ Video Cards)

-memrestrict 650117120

-memrestrict 681574400

If you still notice stuttering with the lowest number, there may be a seperate issue with your system configuration.

How to do this?

Alright I want to give this a shot but where do I find the file to add the command line to?

You have to create a commandline.txt file in Notepad, add the command to it, save it and copy the file to your GTA IV folder. Post your results and observations in the topic that you have created.