Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,822 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Rockstar Toronto

How to use -memrestrict to fix stuttering

Question

Rockstar Toronto

If you are experiencing frame speed fluctuations, please update to the latest video drivers, then use the -memrestrict commandline. Please do not use any other commandlines as they may override the effects of this one. Start at the lowest number based on your texture setting (ie. try them one at a time) You can try to increase the number until you notice stuttering again.

-memrestrict 188743680 LOW TEXTURES (256M Video Cards)

-memrestrict 209715200

-memrestrict 230686720

-memrestrict 262144000 MED TEXTURES (512M Video Cards)

-memrestrict 293601280

-memrestrict 314572800

-memrestrict 629145600 HIGH TEXTURES (1Gig+ Video Cards)

-memrestrict 650117120

-memrestrict 681574400

If you still notice stuttering with the lowest number, there may be a seperate issue with your system configuration.

mkey82

I perfectly understood what you said and I'd still like to see some comparison benchmarks with SLI on/off.

Prometheus

I'm using Ultimate Vehicle Pack v9, which has more than 150+ modded vehicles. You should try it, it's pretty good. icon14.gif

I play at High settings, View Distance = 50, everything else maxed out.

sebkulu

@mkey82: Ok, will do that tonight to report exact gains between Single/misconfigured SLi/properly configured SLi

@PrometheusX: Ok, but you didn't answer the most important questions though tounge.gif

Did you really get rid of textures pops? Can you go through every cutscene without any glitches? Does your game crash eventually?

And, very important info:

1. Size of vehicles.img file

2. Size of pc/data/maps folder

3. ENB Settings

4. TrafficLoad.ini settings

Thanks a lot for your future answer.

Edit: Ah, and almost forgot, also you hardware setup (mainly CPU/GPU/RAM), and version of your display drivers smile.gif

aryoseno11

HELP!! not working!!!!

intel core i7

nvidia gt 430

8 GB RAM

angry.gif

mkey82

If it's not working, it's not working. memrestrict is not guaranteed to have effect.

CTCCoco

This helped me a lot. Thank you.

aryoseno11

intel core i7

nvidia gt 430

8 GB RAM

windows 7 ultimate

the game stutters!!!!!my PC does not overheat! i have no mods other than scripthook, and simple native trainer.

oohh one thing, in next month, i will upgrade my pc to GTX 470. will it helps?

any help will appreciated!

EDIT:

i think my graphics card is bottlenecking my CPU.

MuffinMachine

I am attempting to play this through Steam and the commandline fix does not seem to be working. I have my graphics as low as they will go on everything.

Is there anything to this other than creating the file commandline.txt and typing in -memrestrict 188743680?

Cottontop3000

Hi everyone. I wanted to ask if you think the memrestrict lines will help with my fps with the system I've got. Or if my system is limited in some areas?

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7

Processor Count: 4

RAM: 8190 Mb

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, 1024 Mb

Hard Drives: C: Total - 595471 MB, Free - 306893 MB;

Motherboard: Gateway, FMCP7AM

Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

I've got most of the settings in-game set pretty low, and I'm getting about 25 fps according to fraps. I'd like to have the detail though. Also, do you all play with anti-virus and firewall on?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Oh, in the multiplayer free modes, I often get higher fps (sometimes 40-50fps). Do you know why? Is it just because the number of cars and peds are set low or something?

Again, thanks for any help.

Prometheus

Memrestrict is mostly used to fix stuttering issues - it won't help in your case. Your graphics card is an Entry-level GPU, it wasn't designed for gaming purposes, thus the low framerate you\re having.

As for getting more FPS in multiplayer, yeah it could be due to a lower level of vehicle density, which you could adjust from the Graphics settings in-game.

Cottontop3000

Ah, I see. Thanks. Could you recommend a gpu for my computer? Also, any advice about the anti-virus and firewall? I'd think, leave them on, but I wondered if rockstar and windows had some sort of protection. I don't know. Thanks.

Cottontop3000

Sorry, off topic.

Prometheus
Ah, I see. Thanks. Could you recommend a gpu for my computer? Also, any advice about the anti-virus and firewall? I'd think, leave them on, but I wondered if rockstar and windows had some sort of protection. I don't know. Thanks.

Anti-viruses and firewalls don't really affect the game's performance at all. As for the GPU, you should post your PC specs [including the PSU] and your budget before receiving advice on which GPU to buy. It's better if you create a topic in the PC Performance forum; as you'll receive more help there.

roudabout6

If anyone could help me I have extreme slow loading textures and pop-ins and you name it. I have tried literally everything and have been working on it for days now and can get it resolved. My gta is modded to is full extend with 7 gbs+ of textures and a 400mb car pack with traffic load and different sounds/scripts and player models. If I take one step outside of spawn is is just 16 bit buildings any help at all will be greatly thanked

Specs:

i5 3570k (4.4ghz)

Sapphire 7950 ( 1100/1525)

8Gb 1600mhz

Gigabyte z77 ud3h

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

1tb 7200 rpm 64m cache hdd

Prometheus

This problem is commonly caused for the Vehicle Pack. Create a text file in the game's main directory named commandline, and copy/paste this in the file:

-norestrictions -nomemrestrict -refreshrate 60 -availablevidmem 2.0 -percentagevidmem 100 -novblank -framelimit 0 -noprecache

The game will show that you'll have double the resource usage, but try not to go over the originally allocated.

If this doesn't work, then I guess you'll have to remove the pack and install each vehicle manually.

slooow

OK, if someone PLEASE could tell me what to do...

Few years ago I installed GTA 4 and it ran perfectly, NO stuttering!! Then I uninstalled it half a year ago.

Last week I installed it again and since then I simply cant get rid of stuttering!! I have tried everything, all memrestricts, Vsync, turning of event log etc. and nothing helped. Then i used commandline -refreshrate 28 -framelimit 1 and it worked!! Game was even faster then before, it was amazing. BUT, I added better city textures and then stuttering was back again (dunno why?). I said OK I ll reinstall the game and wont put better city textures again. So i installed the game again and put all settings, patches back like they were when I managed to get the game running smoothly without stuttering, I put the same commandline BUT its stuttering again??!? I mean WTF?? Like the game does what it wants and its messing with me. It looks like it simply doesnt recognize commandline -refreshrate 28 - framelimit 1 anymore, cause it reacts on every other commandline besides that.

Please does anyone has any kind of a idea cause i ran out of it. suicidal.gif

Shiva.

Sorry for being a little weird here but are "-refreshrate -framelimit", the only commandlines you're using?

You should also try using the below commands

HIGH TEXTURES (1Gig+ Video Cards)

-memrestrict 650117120

-memrestrict 681574400

You can keep increasing the values until you notice further slutterings.

slooow

i tried only -framelimit and -refreshrate, but also combined it with many memrestricts...idk, the problem is it was smooth but why wont be smooth again when i did everything like before...

Shiva.

Post your system specs.

Try defragmenting your HDD As it might reduce the sluttering to a considerable extent.

You should als try disabling Windows Event Log. Go to Task Manager, click Services, right click "Windows Event Log" and turn it off.

slooow

Here:

Windows 7 64-bit SP3

Athlon II X4 620 2.60ghz

4GB RAM

HD 4870 1GB

event log is already off (i tried those 9 tips from steam forum for stuttering elimination)...ill try defragmenting HDD...actually the only thing that troubles me (a lot) is why commandline mentioned before that helped me wont work again??sad.gifsad.gif

slooow

i used fraps and noticed that low fps could actually be the problem, i get only 12-16 fps outside ( the thing is that fps doesnt change even if i put everything to minimum!)...i played in windowed mode with memturbo on and saw that when playing gta 4 it uses only 1200-1500MB of RAM, how can that be fixed, i mean i have 2X more RAM to use...

Linh123456

Hello, i have used the memrestrict on the first page, and it's fixed some laggy place, but when the night comes up, my game it's lag.... It's like 12~20 fps please help

PC Spec:

Core i5 turbo boost 2.40Ghz

Nvidia Geforce GT 635M

Windows 8 64 bit

Grand theft Auto IV patch 1.0.4.0

LukashenkOO7

Please help.
I've been trying use memrestrict but EFLC still stuttering after few minutes.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
AMD Athlon II X2 250
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
I know that processor is not perfect but i can see stuttering even on lowest settings.

Marc79

Anyone having an issue with running GTA 4 steam version? On both of my computers the game stutters pretty bad. I'm not sure if adding the memrestrict commandline would help though. All of a sudden GTA IV steam stutters where before it ran normally, on the other hand retail disk GTA IV runs completely fine, not sure what's going on here.

xstormyskiesx

game is lagging/slow.

windows 8.1 64-bit

i5 processor

6GB ram

Intel HD Graphics 4000

my command line:

-norestrictions
-nomemrestrict
-percentvidmem 100
-availablevidmem 25.0
-noprecache
-novblank
also running game booster

Marc79

Intel HD 4000?

My friend tried to launch the game with HD4000 just for giggels and it wouldn't even start. You can't expect to play using on board, period.

Marc79

It's laggy, barely playable, remember Intel HD 4000 is good for watching movies, non-intensive games, and basic browsing. You don't want to burn it to death, playing intensive games.

An old card like GTX 260 will handle the game at medium settings just fine, provided you have a decent quadcore, the newer cards like GTX 750, and 750ti would also handle the game at medium settings, with moderate sliders 20/20/30. Those can be had for 120$-170$

Edited by Marc79

step2ice

Is the memrestrict still useful on newer HW?

Got a 770 GTX and some real bad framedrops. In the options menue the VRAM is displayed correctly.

Edited by step2ice