3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Better than GTAIV?

The Horror Is Alive

some ways yes... and others no

there are hardly any cars and they all look the same, the story is weak too, lack of online multiplaye

its a good game yes but theres alot that could be improved

I'm pretty sure there's about the same amount of cars as in gta IV. They need more in both games. GTA IV's cars all sucked and there was barley any of them. I dont get why they dont add hundred +cars.

No, there aren't. The amount of cars isn't even close.

GTA IV had like, over 200 different car types. Have you even played these games?

Also, this is another ridiculous statement:

More things to do!

It took me less than 20 hours to hit 100% on "Chinatown Wars". GTAIV took me like 60.

At best it's comparable to "The Lost and Damned" but even then it's an apples-and-oranges situation.

I loved "Chinatown Wars" but it's no replacement for the console games. I spent a lot of time playing it at work and that's not something I can do with IV or TLaD so CW has its place but saying it's better than IV is like absolutely insane.

CryptReaperDorian

I believe I was the first one on this forum to use the GTA CTW abbreviation (since I knew about the game right after it was announced and I was on these forums at that time and I used the abbreviation before anyone else as far as I know), but I have never played GTA CTW and I probably will never get to play (even though I want to play it). I more use the GTA CW abbreviation more though since it eliminates the "T". GTA IV didn't have over 200 vehicles, it had about 120 which is about the same amount as SR2. GTA SA had about 200 vehicles though.

Also, the OP says the game is "pure fun". Going for 100% has a lot of the same tedious/borderline-chore requirements that are in every open world/sandbox game.

"Chinatown Wars" is pretty much everything you can expect from a GTA game on the ds. I can't imagine it being any better but it is what it is, and it's not as if some of the issues people have with previous games aren't there and if they're not (like dating, for example) it's probably more to do with space than with a choice to not include it.

Basically people are praising omissions but aside from the minigames (which are fun but not revolutionary) the game doesn't really bring anything new to the table. That's not a bad thing, it just doesn't jibe with this "OMG BETTUR THAN GTAIV LOL" nonsense.

They really can not be compared. a few years ago would people compare gameboy games to ps2? not really.. so why now notify.gif i have both games and they are both great in there own ways. gta IV graphics are mind blowing and gameplay is great aswell. it is a home console game, chinatown wars on the other hand is extremely good for a handheld consoles game, story line is much better than the PSP games.

Edited by gta-jabz

I believe I was the first one on this forum to use the GTA CTW abbreviation (since I knew about the game right after it was announced and I was on these forums at that time and I used the abbreviation before anyone else as far as I know)

What?? tounge.gif I doubt that is true, perhaps if feels nice to think, and I'm sure the game has been called CTW as an obvious abbreviation since the day it was conceived as an idea... odd, really, to claim ownership to an obvious abbreviation such as this.

Just funny, that's all...

Anyway, few more missions done, like the game just a little bit less as a result icon14.gif

let's hope it gets better - I'd really like this to at least be better than III when I'm done it... And I hope it's not too long, I don't have this DS for much longer suicidal.gif

Game feels like "GTA 2.5" - feels like something that would come out before III.

Edited by chngdman

Midnight Special

It can NEVER EVAR be better than GTA IV because the biggest difference is that GTA IV is 3D but this game is 2D and it can't have good psychs like GTA IV!(in my opinion)

I actually think that it is indeed better than IV. I'm shocked myself.

darius940304

Well I ca say one thing...GTA IV the best....along with SA and the two "story" GTA's LCS and VCS....and yeah I can't say CW would complete the portbale trilogy but not the best GTA yet

I think:

IV = Better story, graphics, and immersion.

CTW = More fun, accessible gameplay, nostalgia factor, portability.

For me, it all depends on what mood I'm in and where I am. They are both fantastic games.

FILIPINOMAZTER
Well I ca say one thing...GTA IV the best....along with SA and the two "story" GTA's LCS and VCS....and yeah I can't say CW would complete the portbale trilogy but not the best GTA yet

lcs and vcs are just a crappy expansion/port of their console counterparts (VC,III) i say CW is a lot better than those 2 but i highly doubt that it will be as good as IV or SA but this is just my opinion and i respect yours

Well I ca say one thing...GTA IV the best....along with SA and the two  "story" GTA's LCS and VCS....and yeah I can't say CW would complete the portbale trilogy but not the best GTA yet

lcs and vcs are just a crappy expansion/port of their console counterparts (VC,III) i say CW is a lot better than those 2 but i highly doubt that it will be as good as IV or SA but this is just my opinion and i respect yours

Actually, if you're interested:

LCS and VCS were baby-IV. They were rage and it was used to counter EA's purchase of Criterion, owners of Renderware. Since EA forces all who use their technologies to share information, Rockstar backed out of renderware and ported to rage, which pretty much laughed at those gfx, and you can see the clarity in rendering improved when you look at III/VC/SA and LCS/VCS, even if the detail level on the assets is still roughly the same. That's pretty much why vic and niko swim the same way, etc. (even if anims are altered) and why cars - though it's hard to tell - are noticeably different between the main games and the PSP/PS2 games if you pay close attention to how they react to physical things (bumps, hard turns, etc).

When Rockstar backed out of Renderware, which EA assumed would have been their ticket into Rockstar's vault, EA began trying to buy Take2, since there was no way Rockstar was going to them after their contract expires... They needed to get Rockstar by owning their parent company, and fast, which is why they went so aggressively.

End of the day, they didn't get sh*t, and never will. They are the polar opposite of what Rockstar is to the gaming industry, and for Rockstar, obvious for everyone by now, it is Personal. Came a long way to see you...

The Horror Is Alive

I swear to god that LCS/VCS were Renderware. Are you absolutely sure they're RAGE? Where's your source?

I think:

IV = Better story, graphics, and immersion.

CTW = More fun, accessible gameplay, nostalgia factor, portability.

For me, it all depends on what mood I'm in and where I am. They are both fantastic games.

well put smile.gif

I swear to god that LCS/VCS were Renderware. Are you absolutely sure they're RAGE? Where's your source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Advanced_Game_Engine sly.gif

The PSP versions and later ports of the Grand Theft Auto 'Stories' games however were built on RAGE[6] . Development of RAGE was a reaction to the acquisition of Criterion by video game conglomerate Electronic Arts. Rockstar chose not to license the RenderWare engine due to concern over the information gathering clause in EA's license agreement.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/649/649953p1.html tounge.gif

To ensure the game's quality, Rockstar Leeds and Rockstar North (GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas) have worked together to make LCS as strong as possible. But instead of porting their previous efforts, the pair decided to build Liberty City from the ground up. Rockstar dropped Renderware in favor of a brand new in-house engine
Edited by chngdman

Blackbird88

I think PSP GTA's were better.I don't mean in graphics,but I felt nice atmosphere in them.

And yeah they are using Rage engine for sure sly.gif

GTACW is not bad,but they should make it better

Edited by /.:Nokiaman:.\

FILIPINOMAZTER
I think PSP GTA's were better.I don't mean in graphics,but I felt nice atmosphere in them.

And yeah they are using Rage engine for sure sly.gif

GTACW is not bad,but they should make it better

nice try on that L&D for the pc but you fail tounge2.gif

i think they both have their ups and downs. IV is realistic and there is alot to do when your just f*cking around doing nothing, but the realism can get annoying ie. flying out windscreen of a car, handling of cars doesnt allow for quick corners, etc. i find the missions not as exciting as other versions aswell. on the otherhand CTW gets right into the action and the cars are very easy to control, plus theres plenty to do in terms of missions and minigames, but you cant really have the fun you can in IV when just doing stunts or whatever in your car.

in the end though i prefer CTW; it gets right into the action and maintains it with quick paced missions and lots of fun minigames etc.

Well I ca say one thing...GTA IV the best....along with SA and the two  "story" GTA's LCS and VCS....and yeah I can't say CW would complete the portbale trilogy but not the best GTA yet

LCS and VCS are true GTA games- CW is a small time port for DS for the kids with DS who want GTA. Sorry someone had to tell you. Looks like you've embarassed yourself there mate.

I think that GTA IV and SA are going to be the best sellers. Chinatown Wars is very good, but will just not be as good as the IV and SA in my opinion.

gta 4 gamer

LCS and VCS are true GTA games- CW is a small time port for DS for the kids with DS who want GTA. Sorry someone had to tell you. Looks like you've embarassed yourself there mate.

I'd hate to go off the topic about if CTW is better then IV. But I have a good advice. Stop being fanboys of LCS/VCS/CTW. They are all Rockstar creations and we should respect that. What's up with people these days?