4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

In-Game Music

CheatingSoi

CheatingSoi

So most every DS game out there has lyric-less music. Including Chinatown wars. I understand music takes up a lot of space but what makes it so different if it has lyrics or not? If it does somehow take more space to have lyrics then why does that matter? So what if the game was massive because of music. They wouldn't have to put that much. I mean, I'm sure they could get a few commercials and songs in. A song only takes up a few MB and im sure it could be trimmed down in quality to make it even smaller. What I'm getting at is I just don't understand why there isn't full music/commercials in this game or any other game for that matter.

GTA3Freak-2001

There is a limit to how big a DS cartridge can be, that is 128MB which isn't much after you take into consideration the rather large 3D map and all the other game mechanics. I am not certain but I'd say why music without spoken lyrics is because of the low-bitrate or quality of the sound makes any spoken stuff sound really bad.

CheatingSoi

Ok, so why can the game only be 128MB? I know that that's the biggest file size a ds game has used but I don't understand why they cant go larger.

Random Fact - There is 9MB of extra space in Chinatown Wars

GTA3Freak-2001

There must be a reason then, maybe the DS can't handle any more then 128Mb of data or something. I honestly don't know, it might be to do with cost to manufacture perhaps.

The Horror Is Alive

It costs dollars to hire VAs and singers, and I imagine that the reason they don't have many vocals at all is because they want to have the best cost to profit ratio that they can.

That and what GTA3Freak said.

(PS: I'm happy just listening to the techno station, it's really good.)

Nintendo don't allow anymore than 128mb or 1gBIT carts atm, not sure why this is.

There was confirmation from Nintendo a while ago saying there was 2gBIT (256mb) carts in the making but this has yet too happen.

CTW takes up 119mb i believe but this extra space wouldn't allow any music at all, so it's Nintendo's fault.

Actually R* could have made it DSi compat and allowed SD access for music whilst playing but ahwells.

FILIPINOMAZTER

9mb free space??? maybe this is why theres no DM MP coz u need to download them from rockstar tounge2.gif

kingvercetti

Don't forget that the DS doesn't have brilliant speakers, and I wouldn't imagine the sound processing is up to much either. Add that to the fact that the system only has 4MB of RAM and it makes proper vocalized songs pretty impractical. But as it is, the music is alright anyway.

AFAIK it uses midi music, which is just data which informs a sound chip to make bleeps and bloops. Actual digitized music (ie anything with lyrics or high quality samples of instruments) takes up a sh*t ton of space

Basically this was discussed as soon as yours truly posted a licensed suggested tunes post. That there is simply no space for full fledged radio... It's a give and take with every GTA and compression pushed to the limits.

FILIPINOMAZTER

they could have used a 256 mb card but that will prolly cost more and might be slower than usual card

128 and 256 MB memory, as an example, is falling in price more then ever, GBs are much, much less then they were a year ago, this should effect things across the board. Flash memory use and application in and of itself is something we can actively get excited about as it replaces disc based drives even in PCs!

FILIPINOMAZTER
128 and 256 MB memory, as an example, is falling in price more then ever, GBs are much, much less then they were a year ago, this should effect things across the board. Flash memory use and application in and of itself is something we can actively get excited about as it replaces disc based drives even in PCs!

yeah but ds game cards costs more than normal sd cards i think

Shadowqiller

That Cooking Guide DS game is 256 MB. That is the largest DS game currently.

So they could have put an additional 128 mb all for audio .. but like someone else mentioned above , maybe there is a speed problem with that capacity. I don't know.

...Quote....

yeah but ds game cards costs more than normal sd cards i think

I did say it SHOULD effect all types of established flash RAM not any particular one as you mention with SD in mind. Secure Digital, BTW. MS is Memory Stick.

fiercedeity9

Or they put the soundtrack on a seperate SD card that comes in the game box.

Exclusive to DSi it would claim.

I'm unaware of the DSi, essentially... I wasn't following up on that hardware, I've had very limited hands on with the DS as well, my friend got one for his kids, and of course, THEY hog the damn thing like he used to do! haha lol.gif

fiercedeity9

The DS is a quality system; great games, great fun. Just a shame that the marketing execs over at Nintendo thought "I think it's a good idea to fleece our customers out of more money... LET'S REDESIGN THE DS AGAIN!!".

Same team worked on Stories which I will have to keep reminding the members here, as it gets to be Stories = PSP Vs Nintendo Gameboy/DS, etc.

It's kind of amusing that this is more about the team Rockstar themselves put together to do the portable games based upon their experience and that they keep it tied to that type of programming. The plus is that they'll know how to do more games on both platforms and grow the experience out with each successor.

Those thinking GTA is coming to a close couldn't BE MORE WRONG!

Even lyric-less I feel the music fits the atmosphere of the storyline and characters.