3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

CHINATOWN WAR SUCKS

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

No, no it doesn't. What did I want GTA Chinatown Wars to be when I first heard about it back in July? In short, I wanted it to be some retro, stylized top-down goodness. So Nintendo Power recently released a little feature on the game, and little did I know that Rockstar was going to give me just that, M-rated and cell-shaded goodness. It was actually quite a bit better than I expected after reading people's impressions of the game, but I was quick to realize that they're all full of sh*t. After seeing a few of the shots from the game, I really dig the artstyle. And if the controls work well, I can see this being a LOT of fun.

Asians killing other Asians.

Asians killing other Asians.

Angry Asian.

Angry Asian.

Here is a quick run down on the features and impressions courtesy of Nintendo Power:

* True GTA game - sandbox gameplay, open-world environment, gritty crime narrative.

* Isometric camera angle.

* Cel-shaded polygons w/ black borders, (which is a very cool look in my book).

* Tasteful, well-implemented touch controls and mini-games.

* UI based on a PDA - hub for email, contacts, map, music player, GPS, stat-tracking.

* Stats uploaded to Rockstar Social Club website.

* "Portable" arcade-style mission design for shorter periods.

Asian grimacing while dead, dying, or unconscious.

Asian grimacing while dead, dying, or unconscious.

* Simple aim with the control pad, targetting with the R-button.

* Subtle drive-assist.

* Quickly jump back into the action if you fail a mission.

* Flamethrower, chain-gun.

* Liberty City modeled well throughout the game.

* Solid load times, frame rates, and draw distances.

* Abundant pedestrians/cars on-screen.

* Wanted system - objective is to disable police cars any way possible.

* Real-time weather effects, 24-hour day/night cycle.

* Tons of radio stations.

All the screenshots on the Internet are the first "batch" of scans from Nintendo Power. To me, that looks great, but when I say that, I'm imagining the game.. on a DS Lite screen.. in motion. So I was taken aback by how much negativity people were giving a game they hardly knew anything about. Here are a few (of many) comments left on the varios forums round the globe.....by GTA Fans.

"that looks awful"

"Looks pretty terrible. I'll stick with Liberty City Stories."

"I think I just threw up in my mouth a little..."

"As soon as I saw those images, immediately I was depressed..."

"Wow Rockstar, don't even bother."

"Ugh. This looks like trash."

And I could go on, but what's the point. Excuse my language for a bit here, but people are f*cking dumb (imagine me saying that in a George Carlin voice). Not only is everyone completely overreacting to a couple of magazine scans, they are unable to see beyond the low quality shots and unusual aesthetic. It's almost like they've forgotten who's making the game.

And some people are just p'ed off that rockstar have left the psp scene, as for me, i am not bothered, i won't be getting the game due to not having a DS. But i am sure that at least some people who get the game will be happy.

Here are a few (of many) comments left on the varios forums round the globe.....by GTA Fans.

"that looks awful"

"Looks pretty terrible. I'll stick with Liberty City Stories."

"I think I just threw up in my mouth a little..."

"As soon as I saw those images, immediately I was depressed..."

"Wow Rockstar, don't even bother."

"Ugh. This looks like trash."

GTA fans were never that smart. Usually, they're morons buying the games for the ability to kill hookers. This forum is the cream of the crop.

Also see: No Mutants Allowed. That is, if you're one of those people who actually realize that F3 is a quite good game.

Wow, when I read the topic title, I was ready to pull out and flame all over your ass. But you actually had quite a lot of intelligent things to say.

Some people still haven't realised that the PSP titles were just released by Playstation to sell the PSP. That's all. Amazing games, none-the-less.

I'm personally hoping for a Vice City DS title after Chinatown Wars...

I agree. People only rag on this because it's on a Nintendo system. It's made by Rockstar Leeds, who have delivered every time, and takes cues from all genres of GTA. It's got the general (but better) aesthetic of the 2D games, with gameplay and other things that I assume will be more like the III games, set in the environment and storytelling of IV. It's like epicness in a game cartridge.

It's a different game catering to a different need on a different platform. I'm also a bit upset that folks seem to be shooting it down based on what little information we currently have, but hey, that's how these things usually go. This is the first time that we've seen a Grand Theft Auto title delivered in this format, so of course we can expect some hiccups... but to write it off entirely would be a mistake.

zUd3j4P.png

ObsydianRaven

I think that Chinatown Wars is the first step to bringing GTA onto Nintendo's consoles. Next thing you know they're gonna port GTA IV onto the Wii (which I hope happens.) Now the only problems I can see with Chinatown Wars is Nintendo trying to censor it.

Edited by sethpenguin

Mainland Marauder

Some people prefer graphics over gameplay.

If you're that obsessed over graphics, why the hell are you playing on a portable anyway? Nobody bought the Game Boy way back in the day because of the mind-blowing visuals of Tetris or Super Mario Land. They bought it because it was something fun to do while in the car, on a plane or whatever. That too was the appeal of the Stories games.

Like Tsu....er, Andy ( tounge.gif ) mentioned, this is new ground for GTA. Maybe that pisses off the non-DS owners, but there are a lot of people out there who have the thing. This could also bring an untapped segment of the gamer market into the series, and I think that's what Rockstar is after.

I think the relative failure of GTA: Advance is another part of the reason why people are writing this off. But Advance bombed more because it was released at the same time as a much higher-profile release within the series, namely San Andreas. It got all the attention and blew people away with its immense scope, something that was probably not lost on the reviewers when they were going from playing SA to playing an "oldschool" 2D game. I feel like had it been released a year before it would've done a lot better, critically and commercially.

Edited by Mainland Marauder

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

ObsydianRaven
I think the relative failure of GTA: Advance is another part of the reason why people are writing this off. But Advance bombed more because it was released at the same time as a much higher-profile release within the series, namely San Andreas. It got all the attention and blew people away with its immense scope, something that was probably not lost on the reviewers when they were going from playing SA to playing an "oldschool" 2D game. I feel like had it been released a year before it would've done a lot better, critically and commercially.

I agree with you. Advance was a failure because of the time it was released.

I think that Chinatown Wars is the first step to bringing GTA onto Nintendo's consoles. Next thing you know they're gonna port GTA IV onto the Wii (which I hope happens.) Now the only problems I can see with Chinatown Wars is Nintendo trying to censor it.

According to the Housers, that is not a problem.

Mainland Marauder

I could see Nintendo's meddling being a potential problem if this was 15 years ago, but the Big N knows a goldmine when they see it. Just like Chinatown Wars can bring a new segment of gamers into the series, it can also bring the same to the DS - namely people who have been playing GTA for years now.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

It's been stated that Nintendo have no desire to interfere. After all, they are no longer in the Yamauchi days.

If you're that obsessed over graphics, why the hell are you playing on a portable anyway? Nobody bought the Game Boy way back in the day because of the mind-blowing visuals of Tetris or Super Mario Land. They bought it because it was something fun to do while in the car, on a plane or whatever. That too was the appeal of the Stories games.

Like Tsu....er, Andy ( tounge.gif ) mentioned, this is new ground for GTA. Maybe that pisses off the non-DS owners, but there are a lot of people out there who have the thing. This could also bring an untapped segment of the gamer market into the series, and I think that's what

Hey, I don't prefer graphics over gameplay, I said some people do icon14.gif

Mainland Marauder

Like Tsu....er, Andy ( tounge.gif ) mentioned, this is new ground for GTA. Maybe that pisses off the non-DS owners, but there are a lot of people out there who have the thing. This could also bring an untapped segment of the gamer market into the series, and I think that's what

Fair. Maybe I shouldn't have said it that way. My point remains though.

Fair. Maybe I shouldn't have said it that way. My point remains though.

Yes it does. It does indeed.

At first when i saw the first pics of the game, i was dissapointed, But after playing GTA 2 again i felt like Graphics dont matter, and GTA DS is basicly 3D.

But yeah i dont get why some people hate this game. its Awesome! biggrin.gif

This will be the fourth GTA game to be released on a Nintendo platform.

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK
Wow, when I read the topic title, I was ready to pull out and flame all over your ass. But you actually had quite a lot of intelligent things to say.

Some people still haven't realised that the PSP titles were just released by Playstation to sell the PSP. That's all. Amazing games, none-the-less.

I'm personally hoping for a Vice City DS title after Chinatown Wars...

Thanks for not blowing up my ass....... but you see Nintendo is not upto graphics

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

I M not Agree with you about bringing GTA IV On Wii.......

GTA IV is about awesome quality Graphic details and Wii is not at all about graphics.......

Wii's strategy is making gaming as simple as possible not going for the advancements in Graphics corner

If you think GTA IV is all about graphics, well I don't really know what to say. But that has certainly never been the focus of the series and never will be. I still don't think we'll see GTA on the Wii any time soon though.

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

That's what i want to say Wii can not afford GTA franchise

If they got the entirety of Maxis, Rockstar Games, Valve, and Nintendo to work on it and if they hired Neil Gaiman to write the story, maybe.

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

Maybe yes if such a intellectual minds will go for the game together may be...

but still i cant say about the graphic qualities of Wii

i mean its good as a console but when it comes about the graphics it is nowhere....

George Brosnan

The graphics dont look amazing, but Storyline is what i pay the most attention to, for all we know, the storyline could be one of the best, or it cold be one of the worst, only time can tell.

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

The graphics don't look amazing, but Storyline is what i pay the most attention to, for all we know, the storyline could be one of the best, or it cold be one of the worst, only time can tell.

Yeah you are right.......not only graphics but storyline is also important for a game....

But GTA presented their games with a blend of graphics and strong storyline is good third person prospective ........but Chinatown Wars looks creepy...

The graphics don't look amazing, but Storyline is what i pay the most attention to, for all we know, the storyline could be one of the best, or it cold be one of the worst, only time can tell.

Yeah you are right.......not only graphics but storyline is also important for a game....

But GTA presented their games with a blend of graphics and strong storyline is good third person prospective ........but Chinatown Wars looks creepy...

I don't understand what you actually expect from a DS... You should take a loot at a few DS titles to realize that they aren't very visually comparable to PSP/PS2/PS3 games...

GTA has never been about graphics, it's the gameplay... Why do people still play GTA 3? For the graphics? Doubt it...

George Brosnan

I don't understand what you actually expect from a DS... You should take a loot at a few DS titles to realize that they aren't very visually comparable to PSP/PS2/PS3 games...

GTA has never been about graphics, it's the gameplay... Why do people still play GTA 3? For the graphics? Doubt it...

I still play the original Grand Theft Auto!