3. Suggestions

Can I increase my FPS?

Fallout003

My system Specs:

AMD Athlonx2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.51GHz

2GM DDR2 RAM

ATI Radeon HD x2400 series 512 mb video RAM

Windows Xp Pro SP3

I searched online and people with only 1 GB RAM and AMDx2 4000 can play GTA 4 pc smoothly without any lags. But for my computer (specs above) I only can go up to about 10-15 fps! Some people whos system is lower than mine can go up to about 30 fps! Can anyone tell me how to increase my FPS? And everything in the graphics settings in GTA 4 is low, but i still can't get my fps up? sad.gif

Get a better video card. If you can give us a budget I can get you the best possible for your budget wink.gif.

For completeness, can you list your ingame settings and how many processes run before launching GTA IV?

Warlord will find you a good GFX card, and if I may, 3850 with 1GB can be had for under $90 right now on new egg. icon14.gif

Your CPU is good, but you have to change the video card. Get an ATI Radeon HD 4830 for 100$. I have a 3800+ 2.0ghz dual core and it's smooth.

My system Specs:

AMD Athlonx2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.51GHz

2GM DDR2 RAM

ATI Radeon HD x2400 series 512 mb video RAM

Windows Xp Pro SP3

I searched online and people with only 1 GB RAM and AMDx2 4000 can play GTA 4 pc smoothly without any lags. But for my computer (specs above) I only can go up to about 10-15 fps! Some people whos system is lower than mine can go up to about 30 fps! Can anyone tell me how to increase my FPS? And everything in the graphics settings in GTA 4 is low, but i still can't get my fps up? sad.gif

See my Signature. biggrin.gif

I've got these settings on GTA IV:

render: low

texture: low

view distance: 0

detail distance: about 10

detail distance: 10

vehicle density : 10

shadow density: 0

Guys, the main problem i found out is that my Video ram is 512 but it only shows 210mb of video resource in GTA IV graphics settings, so i have to use "availablevidmem" commandline but it doesn't seem to help at all.

i tried -minspecaudio, but it dosen't work. I'm now getting 20 fps indoors and 10-13 fps outdoors!

wow.gifwow.gifwow.gif weird. helped me quite a bit. BUT you do have a dual core. GTA will run better on tri or quad core. it uses 3 threads. my first 3 cores are always above 60% usage while my 4th core is always in the 20% range

If you got a AMD triple core or a quad you will see a huge difference.

Personally, I don't think 10-13 fps in any situation is at all bad...but anyway here are some tips on increasing fps:

1. Use the commandline flags:

-noprecache

-availablevidmem 1.5

2. Download and apply this to X:/Grand Theft Auto IV/PC/DATA/CD IMAGES:

gtxd.rar mod [scales down textures for smoother gameplay]

3. Go to START/RUN type "msconfig", and remove unecessary startup programs like msn etc. Also disable uneccesary services....

4. When ever you start up game, make sure your not running firefox or enything in the background.

5. When ever you star up game, minimize game, and use task manager to end explorer.exe, and social club, which sucks on about 15 000 kilobytes of memory.

icon14.gificon14.gif With all these you are sure to gain at least 10 fps!!!! icon14.gificon14.gif

warning: used colours to get the attention of op biggrin.gif

yes, as you can see in my first message in this topic, i have a dual core processor 4800+ AMDx2 64. But i have a dual core optimizer.

Personally, I don't think 10-13 fps in any situation is at all bad...but anyway here are some tips on increasing fps:

1. Use the commandline flags:

-noprecache

-availablevidmem 1.5

2. Download and apply this to X:/Grand Theft Auto IV/PC/DATA/CD IMAGES:

gtxd.rar mod [scales down textures for smoother gameplay]

3. Go to START/RUN type "msconfig", and remove unecessary startup programs like msn etc. Also disable uneccesary services....

4. When ever you start up game, make sure your not running firefox or enything in the background.

5. When ever you star up game, minimize game, and use task manager to end explorer.exe, and social club, which sucks on about 15 000 kilobytes of memory.

icon14.gificon14.gif With all these you are sure to gain at least 10 fps!!!! icon14.gificon14.gif

warning: used colours to get the attention of op biggrin.gif

Did you pay any attention to the advice enlisted above? sigh.gifsarcasm.gifsigh.gifsarcasm.gif

ObsessedWithGTA4

You need a new processor before anything and some more ram. Get a new Phenom II if you have a am2 motheboard and get a 4gig dual channel ddr2 kit for $30-40. A new video card would also be good but you wont see any improvement with a new video card even if you got a 4870x2 because your totally CPU limited. You need AT LEAST a AMD Phenom II x3 but you should go with the x4 for future proofing.

Im sorry to say this but i cannot get the parts right now, i can only use some kinda tweak code to make the game run smoother at least 30 fps!

i suggest you just go play another game. any other game in the world, it will run better on your computer than gta4. then you can stop worrying about making it run better. it wont.

the guy with 3800+ @ 2ghz says its smooth for him. i dont know what smooth means he might be getting 10fps. for me smooth means 30fps. my processor is at least 50% faster than his and im sure the rest of my system beats his too. i cant even get 30fps in 800x600 with everything on low. f*ck this game it will only give you grief.

it uses 3 threads. my first 3 cores are always above 60% usage while my 4th core is always in the 20% range

It uses all four cores. In my case, two are above 80% with other two above around 60%.

i suggest you just go play another game. any other game in the world, it will run better on your computer than gta4. then you can stop worrying about making it run better. it wont.

the guy with 3800+ @ 2ghz says its smooth for him. i dont know what smooth means he might be getting 10fps. for me smooth means 30fps. my processor is at least 50% faster than his and im sure the rest of my system beats his too. i cant even get 30fps in 800x600 with everything on low. f*ck this game it will only give you grief.

wrong.

gta iv is actually not the worst optimized game, saints row 2 is. though it contains less than half the vehicles, and there those vehicles have blocky physics, and although the game is highly san andreas like, it runs worst than all games in history....

which guy said they have the 3800+ ? Can you tell me who he is so i can ask him how he does it. I love GTA IV and i find it impossible to leave this game alone, and i bought this game for a high price too, and i cannot go and refund right now.

i dont think its GTA IV's problem, because i have fallout 3 and i cannot play really high on that game. All i need is a GTA IV code tweak to boost my FPS ingame, Some tweaks genius out there please help me.

I'm running the game on a computer similar to yours (an overclocked 4600+ @2.6GHZ, 3GB DDR Ram, 3850 AGP video card 1280x720, medium/high, 30/30/25/0) It runs at a minimum of 17fps in the city when all hell breaks loose and tops 60fps when out on the boat with Brucie.

So how can I help?

Are you sure the video card is a 512mb model? From how much memory you have available to you in GTA IV it sounds like a 256mb model, that memory and the low processing power of the HD2400 will hold you back no matter how many features you turn off. It will be a big bottle neck to your processor.

I've also ran the game on an overclocked single core Ath64 4000+ (mobile processor @2.86GHz, 2GB ram, 4650 video card) The processor was weaker than yours, the video card much more powerful and it could easily run 1024x768, medium settings, with fraps the lowest I found was 13fps. This was a testing computer so had the minimum of software installed.

Have you tried out AMD Fusion software? It turns off everything you do not need and may get you more speed within the game, again only what the HD2400 will allow you to use, that is the biggest issue with your computer.

GTA IV can run very well on an AMD dual core processor.

(although before Intelites attack me, it also runs very well on Core 2 Duo's, Quads and fantastic on the i7)

The_Cheese_Man

Your video card simply doesn't have the processing power. What good is all that memory if the card runs at a slow speed?

Try downloading the xliveless mod. You will have to start a new game without any saves, but running GTA IV without GWFL and RGSC gained me about 3-4 fps at all times (I don't lag as much in the rain and during firefights).

It uses all four cores. In my case, two are above 80% with other two above around 60%.

80/80/60/60 % usage is a total of 70% usage.

All four cores would be anything over 75% usage.

Hence, it's only using three threads. The % usage on your cores is meaningless.

So whoever suggested the X3 was on the right track.

Your CPU is good, but you have to change the video card. Get an ATI Radeon HD 4830 for 100$. I have a 3800+ 2.0ghz dual core and it's smooth.

this guy, ask him how he does it, also what "smooth" is.

I dont know who this guy is, im asking and trying to find out. I'm playing nfs undercover and call of duty 5 and its very good and smooth but whats wrong with GTA IV. I think GTA IV should change their system requirements, the godfather 2 is coming in April 2009 and it required only 256 Video RAM, 1GB RAM and an Intel Pentium 4 or AMD 2.0GHz or more! GTA IV uses like 10 times that requirement and a lot of people is complaining about this. Seriously Rockstar should really get some high tech into GTA IV to make it use less RAM and more smoother gaming experience so alot of people will buy it. Now i just wasted $79 on something which can only be played on everything low and only at 15fps average!

are you all completely mindless?

cant you see the game will run better on 64 bit [also enables hdr etc.],its just the processor,wait until theres more updates and in the mean time be grateful this peice of sh*t plays ok?

i have a hd4870 gddr5 1gb the game runs at 15 fps due to my pentium d dual core 3.00ghz,even at 3.5 ghz the game is unstable and still lags ,less but still does.

Adam' date='Mar 1 2009, 14:42'] are you all completely mindless?

cant you see the game will run better on 64 bit [also enables hdr etc.],its just the processor,wait until theres more updates and in the mean time be grateful this peice of sh*t plays ok?

i have a hd4870 gddr5 1gb the game runs at 15 fps due to my pentium d dual core 3.00ghz,even at 3.5 ghz the game is unstable and still lags ,less but still does.

are you mindless? this game runs exactly the same in 32 bit and 64bit. i have an actual dual core at 3ghz and it runs barely 28fps on benchmark, after i run it in a window. fullscreen and im lucky to see 20fps. this piece of sh*t doesnt play ok, unless you mean "plays, ok?" in which case i suppose i could be happy a game i meet and exceed the minimum requirements and almost meet the reccommended minus 2 cores fires up and starts.