[REL|FINAL] Realistic Driving

Killatomate

You forgot to change all the vehicles to have their proper wheel drive. Approx. 50+% of cars in this game have incorrect wheels getting power. The gearing also needs changing as well as the weight and power in some vehicles. The biggest thing is the wheel drive though. Come on dude. It's a realism mod and you got Mustangs with front wheel drive and caravans with rear wheel drive. I could go on but you get the idea. In order for cars to feel as they should, they need to be getting power to the correct wheels. There are a ton of sedans in this game with rear wheel drive that should be FWD. This was one of the very first things I changed, and it definitely had the most dramatic effect when compared to other corrections I made.

I changed every single car in my handling file to real life values and the result is spectacular. You should do the same.

Killatomate

i left the wheel drive of most vehicles on default. sorry about the ford mustang biggrin.gif

the reason i left some FWD cars RWD is that FWD cars in GTA feel kinda strange in my opinion and are harder to control with keyboard (spinning wheels in rain...).

i will add this to my "to do" list. if this list gets long enough, i might start working on a new release.

Does anybody know of any decent MPH speedometers I can use with this?

I'm on Vista if anyone is wondering.

user posted image

Killatomate

"simple native trainer 1.02" features the best speedometer in my opinion. you can switch it to mph and also set new hotkeys in order to prevent input conflicts with other mods.

Drunk Russian 9

Ok, I finally got it to work, and besides loving it to death, I found two issues:

1. Bike turning radius IS too small, it cant handle a right angle turn at 15 MPH. (IMO)Sanchez has the closest to what it should be.

2. Ruiner should have a bit more off the line acceleration & less grip, as a Camaro IROC-Z would. Currently it feels like a 4 wheel drive. The vanilla handling had it behaving the way it should.

3. Some cars have horrible brakes. It's just ridiculous, you cant stop from 20MPH without taking at least 3 secs.

Edited by Drunk Russian 9

Killatomate

Ok, I finally got it to work

i am working on a new version and it would be good to know about the technical problems you people had (especially with patch 1.030) and how you solved the problem. that way i could try to adjust the mod to patch 1.030 (eg. to fix the "fast trucks" problem) or at least include detailed installation instructions in the readme.

So could everyone who experienced problems with installing this mod describe the problem, game version and (optionally) post how the problem got solved. that would help a lot. thanks.

Bike turning radius IS too small

radius too small? or did you rather mean large?

Ruiner should have a bit more off the line acceleration & less grip, as a Camaro IROC-Z would

how do you know its an IROC-Z? has the "450 GP" label something to do with it?

since i am working on the vehicles right now, feel free to name any car that doesnt handle right in your opinion. and pleeease describe the problem / suggestion in detail. "this car is too fast /slow" doesnt really help. please provide a source with technical data. i am scientist and the only thing that counts is FACTS. thx. smile.gif

Drunk Russian 9

Ok, the way you make your mod work is by replacing the filelist.pak with a modded one OR using Alexander Blade's File Check Fix.

1. Yea, sorry, I meant too large.

2. Check it out: link

Drunk Russian 9, do you have this modded filelist.pak?

Or can you please post step-by-step instructions on how to make it work? I'm sure many people would be very grateful.

Drunk Russian 9
Drunk Russian 9, do you have this modded filelist.pak?

Or can you please post step-by-step instructions on how to make it work? I'm sure many people would be very grateful.

It's in the download for this mod. Just replace the old one and you should be fine.

Drunk Russian 9

Holy crap, it seems only some portions of this mod were working without the modded filelist.pak. Now everything is working.

Also no logos mod started working as well. I feel so stupid now. confused.gif

Killatomate

Could everyone who experienced problems with installing this mod describe the problem, game version and (optionally) post how the problem got solved. that would help a lot. thanks.

since i am working on the vehicles right now, feel free to name any car that doesnt handle right in your opinion. and pleeease describe the problem / suggestion in detail. "this car is too fast /slow" doesnt really help. in that case please provide a source with technical data. i am scientist and the only thing that counts is FACTS. thx. smile.gif

These things are already changed:

-proper wheel drive for all cars

-further improved e-brakes for all cars

-slight 0-200 kph acceleration adjustment for sports and super cars

-improved bike handling

-slight cornering speed adjustment for bikes

-smaller turning radius for bikes

-Faggio: new engine

-Ruiner: increased performance, new brakes

-SabreGT: new brakes

-Uranus: stronger brakes

-Manana: brakes fixed

-Stallion: brakes fixed

-Schafter: new suspension

-Infernus: slight 4WD adjustment

-Sultan: now RWD

-SultanRS: now RWD, increased performance

-Uranus: now RWD

-Rebla: now 4WD

-Cabby: now FWD

-Minivan: now FWD

-Habanero: now FWD

-Ingot: now FWD

-Perennial: now FWD

-Pinnacle: now FWD

-Premier: now FWD

-Primo: now FWD

-Solair: now FWD

-Stratum: now FWD

-Vincent: now FWD

-Police: improved head-on behaviour

Is the patch you're telling these changes of (post right above this one) out? Or is it still being made?

Killatomate

work in progress. right now i am working on helicopter handling.

I love you mod, however I find some cars very difficult to drive, The sentinel for example spins in circles while I try to drive I dont know if this is built for drifting but I end up using another car in order to drive.

Killatomate

damn! i just created a perfect helicopter handling (way more realistic than default physics) and now it turns out that the stupid AI cant handle helicopters anymore! police helicopters just turn upside down and then dive until they hit the ground cry.gif

the sky is empty! dontgetit.gif

any solution? is it possible to change AI?

i guess those 20 hours spent on helicopters were in vain! suicidal.gif

after flying perfect helicopters i dont wanna revert back to default handling again! HELP! mad.gif

Killatomate

i've been working for 4 hours on a tradeoff. it was necessary to sacrifice some realism in order to get the AI working. the stupid AI needs training wheels.

i am satisfied with the result. i tried to get the flight models as close as possible to the real world counterparts (Bell 206L / UH-60 Blackhawk).

GTA IV physics. turn.gif

the new helicopter handling is quite realistic, you could actually call it flight simulator wink.gif

I love your handling, its very good! cookie.gif

But can you fix the brakes? Beacuse when i driving fast i cant brake and i always hitting some objects.

Drunk Russian 9
i've been working for 4 hours on a tradeoff. it was necessary to sacrifice some realism in order to get the AI working. the stupid AI needs training wheels.

i am satisfied with the result. i tried to get the flight models as close as possible to the real world counterparts (Bell 206L / UH-60 Blackhawk).

GTA IV physics. turn.gif

the new helicopter handling is quite realistic, you could actually call it flight simulator wink.gif

Maybe release a version where the police heli's are removed? I love helis.

SLAYERMAGGOT

GTA IV physics.  turn.gif

Maybe release a version where the police heli's are removed? I love helis.

What's the point of doing that? and you can't simply remove them by editing the handling. bored.gif

Killatomate

i am still working on helicopter handling. while the in-air handling is fine now and most AI pilots control their aircrafts properly, i found that the 'landing gear physics' of the default game are terrible. the landing skids of the Bell helicopter have more friction longitudinal to the skids than lateral. its really terrible. another issue of the default helicopters is that the centre of mass is completely off.

right now i am fixing the landing gear physics so that the helicopters might flip due to a bad landing.

no need for R* training wheels, TAKE THEM OFF!

Killatomate

took 8 hours but now the new landing gear physics for helicopters are finished.

1 out of 12000 users requested realistic helicopter handling and here i am, wasting my precious time... sigh.gif

this release is almost finished. All thats missing is detailed readme files. and quality control.

but since no one has reported any installation issues/fixes or helped me in any other way it might actually take a long long time until release.

some ways to accelerate the progress:

report issues:

if you have/had any problems with the latest release (installation problems, strange behaviour of vehicles), please report them!

help me with translating:

if you are a good russian or japanese speaker and want to help me with translating, contact me.

Beta testing:

its best to discover issues BEFORE the actual release, so maybe i will release a test version to some chosen ppl.

keep in mind that beta testing consists of monotonous tests rather than having fun.

things to be tested would be: Patch 1.030 compatibility, compatibility with some other 1.030 mods, handling of each vehicle, compatibility with GTA IV missions (especially helicopter missions).

me thingks

the muscle cars should have a little higher top speed , and the tires should spin a little longer / more when accelerating and the off-roaders like the rancher and patriot should bounce waay more, i liked the original handeling of those more eccept the most weren't 4 wheel drive

the bikes handeling if veeery good , the infernus handels great the suspension is a little stiff

but it's not that bad

the comet seems a little to sportive in my opinion but it drives cool annyhow

most sports cars drift just a bit to mutch

pls don't get me wrong

it''s a wonderfull mod

good work

Killatomate

thx. i'll have a look at it. i hope more ppl post suggestions.

i asked ppl whether the handling mod works on Patch 1.030 and many did admit that they couldnt tell the difference between the vanilla game and my mod. i was like: WTF!

in the default game the speed is capped at 120 kph and there is no weight shift when you hit the brakes. there are so many differences that i could tell the versions apart by just listening to the game biggrin.gif

i know there are many ppl who wont feel any difference when trying my new heli handling. i made this picture so that you know what to look for when trying the handling:

user posted image

a good example for overuse of the word "realistic" biggrin.giftounge2.gifsigh.gif

zzzzz

Drunk Russian 9

Many people don't understand they must remove vanilla filelist.pak and replace it with your modded one. That file contains the handling within it, as a way to try and stop us from modding.

BTW . . . I love you inlove.gif

Are you going to remove the limits for tilt? Can we actually fly the chopper upside-down now?

@SLAYERMAGGOT: I'm sure there's a way to disable them.

Edited by Drunk Russian 9

Killatomate
Are you going to remove the limits for tilt? Can we actually fly the chopper upside-down now?

yes, all limits removed. you can fly loops and such, although thats rather difficult in a helicopter (and not recommended)

Killatomate
So, the flying on helicopter would be easy now? Or harder than normal?

harder. now it takes some skill to hover in one place or land the helicopter without flipping it.

Sounds great, but can you limit every german car's top speed to 250? Real Mercedes doesn't let you go faster than 250. And maybe you can increase the damage caused by crashes (maybe visual damage as well, but I'm talking about engine damage here). So if you total a car (let's say you crash with 250 into a building the car won't start, and will have smoke coming out of the engine (don't make it like the engine catches fire, cuz that'd unrealistic) And I'm not sure if you can do this, but it'd be great if you crash your car then the engine would turn off automatically and you'd have to restart it. And maybe increasing some top speed values, like Banshee's top speed is 300, Coquette about 320 and things like that.

Anyway I really like your mod, it really feels realstic driving these cars. cookie.gif

EDIT: When will you release the handling for the helicopters?

Edited by Rob.Zombie

Killatomate

as i said some posts above, it will take a long time until release if nobody helps me with testing and translating.