[REL|FINAL] Realistic Driving

Killatomate

Killatomate
Say you're going in 50 kph and then press and hold space while keeping W pushed, the back wheel will stop completely but the Sanchez will keep going at about 30-50 kph. As if it was still given force.

strange. i dont see why this is happening. the brake strength is much higher than the power of the engine, the brake force is even higher than in the default game. and the bike is, of course, completely RWD. Is this also happening in the default game? Wild guess: GTA4 physics suck biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

i am not home right now so i cannot test anything.

Has anyone tested this mod with GTA 1.030 yet? please report your experiences.

Does this still work with the third (newest) patch? Or we have to wait until this will be updated?

from what i've heard it should still work. but i would only patch GTA to 1.03 if you have technical issues or usually play a lot multiplayer.

never change a running system. biggrin.gif

I love the new patch, the game is smoother, no cheaters, all missing objects are back! wink.gif

But I'm curious about one thing. I can't test it myself right now. Should I replace the filelist.pak for this mod to work with 1.03 (just like it was in 1.02) or there would be no need for it? I mean there is possibility that the patch has updated this filelist.pak so shouldn't there be a 'new' modified version of it for this mod to work?

Killatomate

[...]filelist.pak so shouldn't there be a 'new' modified version of it for this mod to work?

the modified filelist.pak is just an empty file (nothing in it ^^), so it doesnt matter whether you use 1.03 or 1.02

Yup. Just tested this, busses drive all around, car handling is different. Really awesome mod. inlove.gif

Cheers.

zinklesmesh

Good mod, but it seems like all the big heavy trucks are too fast and sporty. The Yankee, for example, is super grippy and does 0-60 mph in 8 seconds, when it should take more like 20.

Killatomate

Good mod, but it seems like all the big heavy trucks are too fast and sporty. The Yankee, for example, is super grippy and does 0-60 mph in 8 seconds, when it should take more like 20.

could you please explain how you came to that conclusion? Did you read the handling file or did you actually use a stopwatch?

the tire grip in the config says nothing about the actual grip in the game. (its defined by gravity, centre of mass, traction balance, suspension...)

R* decided to expose Trucks only to half of the gravity. so the grip is less than 0.5 of the tire grip. the handling is messed up by default.

the acceleration variable is bullsh*t too, since acceleration is heavily influenced by engine type, gear ratio, air drag...

the handling file says nothing at all.

the fastest truck is the mule and it takes 18 seconds 0-60 mph.

so if you used the stopwatch your speedmeter might have actually confused kph with mph.

0-60 kph in 8 seconds is not THAT unrealistic.

Psychotic Bison

The Harley-type bikes are still a chore to drive even as of 1.08, I'm sorry to say. They are hard to control and slip on level surfaces for no apparent reason. And all bikes have an insanely huge turning radius, which frankly makes me wonder how the bike in the video is able to corner at 100 mph...

P.S. I'm using an XBOX controller to drive...

Hahaha, I tried to drift an inferus at about 250 km an hour.....I failed and died on impact.

Perhaps you might want to add more to weather, in regards to snow/freezing rain, its already challenging enough to drive in rain, would love to try to do it on ice.

Drunk Russian 9
The Harley-type bikes are still a chore to drive even as of 1.08, I'm sorry to say. They are hard to control and slip on level surfaces for no apparent reason. And all bikes have an insanely huge turning radius, which frankly makes me wonder how the bike in the video is able to corner at 100 mph...

+1

Seems to be the only issue right now.

Killatomate
[...]all bikes have an insanely huge turning radius [...]

+1

Seems to be the only issue right now.

It's not an issue, it's a feature!

i spent a lot of time reading about bikes and collecting facts. then i worked for 20 hours on this bike handling.

the actual cornering speed of the bikes is realistic. in the beginning it felt slow for me too but if you use a speedmeter you will notice that you basically approach turns faster with bikes than with cars.

they FEEL slow, but they are not.

Psychotic Bison

I would consider sacrificing a bit of reality in favor of fun as far as bikes go. I'm not saying they are slow, but they definitely have too large of a turning radius. Consider tightening it up...

Killatomate

i am back home so now i can take look at the reported issues.

I only tried with the sanchez, but when I press and hold the E-brake and the back tire is completely still, I will still keep moving as if the wheel was accelerating

i tried for 10 minutes (on street and sand) but was not able to produce that effect. there is no acceleration at all when the wheel is locked.

seems like all the big heavy trucks are too fast and sporty. The Yankee, for example, is super grippy and does 0-60 mph in 8 seconds, when it should take more like 20

it actually takes 20 seconds. your speedmeter is wrong.

The Harley-type bikes are still a chore to drive even as of 1.08, I'm sorry to say. They are hard to control and slip on level surfaces for no apparent reason.

they may not be perfect, but right now i see no way to improve them further. there is always some tradeoff. to keep the bikes from slipping i could use the "glued to the ground" handling from version 1.01 again, but it has downsides too.

I don't know, I had like an hour fun yesterday riding only 1.08 choppers, without the turning radius disturbing. Actually it seemed quite realistic for me. (just think of the extremely low front fork angle of those real bikes: these are not made for cornering, let alone at 100mph).

Btw I cannot guess how could it be more fun than this version.

This mod is soo good! Killatomate has made so much work for this mod that i can't get better than this!

Huge thanks! icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif Five thumbs!

Drunk Russian 9

I don't know how to get this running on 1.3. Modifying, even removing the handling.dat in common/data has no effect on handling.

How did you guys get it to run?

Killatomate
Killatomate I forgot to mention that to notice the sanchez thingy you have to lean foward.

then there's nothing i can fix. leaning forward accelerates the bike. it's not accelerated by the locked wheel. thats the way GTA IV is.

zinklesmesh

could you please explain how you came to that conclusion? Did you read the handling file or did you actually use a stopwatch?

the tire grip in the config says nothing about the actual grip in the game. (its defined by gravity, centre of mass, traction balance, suspension...)

R* decided to expose Trucks only to half of the gravity. so the grip is less than 0.5 of the tire grip. the handling is messed up by default.

the acceleration variable is bullsh*t too, since acceleration is heavily influenced by engine type, gear ratio, air drag...

the handling file says nothing at all.

the fastest truck is the mule and it takes 18 seconds 0-60 mph.

so if you used the stopwatch your speedmeter might have actually confused kph with mph.

0-60 kph in 8 seconds is not THAT unrealistic.

I used the MPH speedo that came with the trainer (and it also has a KPH speedo, so no, they're not confused) testing in-game. I tried all the cars in the mod and the 0-60 times are reasonable and match what you've written in your .txt file. The speedometer is accurate. Go test the Yankee for yourself.

The big trucks all handle and drive like fast sports cars, they don't feel heavy or sluggish as they should.

Edited by Kitteh

Psychotic Bison

+1 to Drunken Russian's comment. 1.3 doesn't like the mod apparently.

Killatomate

Go test the Yankee for yourself. The big trucks all handle and drive like fast sports cars, they don't feel heavy or sluggish as they should.

of course i tested the yankee. it took more than 20 seconds 0-100 kph.

looks like gravity is messed up. what GTA IV version do you use? any other mods installed?

Drunk Russian 9
+1 to Drunken Russian's comment. 1.3 doesn't like the mod apparently.

And now that I try to reinstall the whole game to play with this mod, the same situation happens. I just don't get it.

First of all, I could not make this mod work with 1.0.3.0 patch, so I reinstalled previous 1.0.2.0 on top of it and voilaa', It works now. Looks like, that the newest R* patch messes up alot of things, like shadows and stuff, so personally I don't recommend this patch. If ain't broke, don't fix it, so dont install it if your system running fine with older patch. There's just one funny thing though, If you crash with a bike, you just keep rolling along the street until you dead. Originally you just rolled couple of times and came out of a bike crash wit just, say 20%, health loss. I don't know, is tjis just me, or someone else encountered this clitch? But anyway, thumbs up for a good work.

First of all, I could not make this mod work with 1.0.3.0 patch, so I reinstalled previous 1.0.2.0 on top of it and voilaa', It works now. Looks like, that the newest R* patch messes up alot of things, like shadows and stuff, so personally I don't recommend this patch. If ain't broke, don't fix it, so dont install it if your system running fine with older patch. There's just one funny thing though, If you crash with a bike, you just keep rolling along the street until you dead. Originally you just rolled couple of times and came out of a bike crash wit just, say 20%, health loss. I don't know, is tjis just me, or someone else encountered this clitch? But anyway, thumbs up for a good work.

Try using the new version of sparkiv 0.6.2 r2 to edit the game with the new handling it should then work online in 1.0.3.0 I know other mods work if installed with the new spark online but handling may be different. Someone try it and confirm it cause like I said tonight I was able to get modified files to play online in 1.0.3.0 version of the game after installing them with sparkiv 0.6.2 r2 but I'm too busy at the moment to do anything other than pointing you guys in the right direction! good luck!

I need to give you a big thanks Killatomate...a really big thanks.

For the passed weeks I have been trying to get certain cars to handle like they would in real life or anything close to it and whilst doing so also if not specially making sure they are mega fun to drive in this game.

And I think you nailed it for 95% just right for most cars and vehicles, absolutely spot on. Realism has come a ton closer with this handling and above all....most if not all cars are a sh*tload of fun to drive.

I for one can go on for hours just cornering, drifting away only thinking about the next turn I will take...superb.

Tried alot of settings myself, tried alot of different handling mods or lines for the dat file really and with my own tweaking I did get a few cars spot on but the overall editing you have done to all cars is mind blowing if I you ask me ! Have tried most cars and have only come accros a odd few where you didnt make any changes yet or didn't quite get it right.

Since I am running all settings to the max with Tweak1 and some other bits and odds to make the game jump of my 40" Hd screen I'll try and put together a movie where all the fun stuff is included and some superb drifting wink.gif

Edited by Sincx

Killatomate

thanks for your comments. i am not planning another release right now but if you come across a car that doesnt feel right in your opinion, just name the car and describe the problem - i'll have a look at it.

the song used in the 1.06 clip is: "drum n bass - drum n bass (super)"

thanks for your comments. i am not planning another release right now but if you come across a car that doesnt feel right in your opinion, just name the car and describe the problem - i'll have a look at it.

the song used in the 1.06 clip is: "drum n bass - drum n bass (super)"

And where can I get that song ? wow.gif

Well guys I guess I don't remember how was the handling in vanilla version so I can't be sure that my mod works...

But I can see buses driving all around and there are many more good cars driving all over the city so I guess it is working fine with 1.03.