[REL|FINAL] Realistic Driving

Killatomate

Killatomate

the update is finished and ready for release.

i have spent more than 100 hours on this update (30 hours on cars, 20 hours on bikes, 70 hours on helicopters, 30 hours on additional stuff such as readme files and videos).

this mod has been completely reworked. the handling of every single car and bike has been updated. Steering and drifting of every car has been improved. And, of course, realistic helicopter handling has been added to the mod.

and here it is:

user posted image

Realistic Driving n Flying 2.0 (too-point-oooww!)

Features:

-realistic cars

-realistic bikes

-realistic helicopters (ability to flip them over!)

-improved vehicle spawning (optional)

-improved weapons (optional)

-optimized for both gamepad and keyboard (special version with decreased wheelspin included)

Video:

Helicopter tutorial:

Download: Link

2.0 Changelog:

Main changes:

-realistic helicopter handling and physics

-new handling for all cars (improved steering and drifting)

-correct wheel drive for all cars

-further improved e-brakes for all cars

-improved bike handling

-improved weapons

helicopters:

-realistic rate of climb

-realistic forward thrust

-realistic air drag

-realistic turning rate

-realistic weight

-realistic inertia

-realistic centre of mass

-realistic tail rotor

-realistic tail fin aerodynamics

-realistic landing skid physics

-ability to fly loop and roller

-more vulnerable to gunfire (engine, tail)

cars:

-improved steering and drifting

-improved e-brakes

-slight 0-200 kph acceleration adjustment for sports and super cars

-Ruiner: increased performance, new brakes

-SabreGT: new brakes

-Manana: brakes fixed (were weakened by 30% due to some bug)

-Stallion: brakes fixed (were weakened by 30% due to some bug)

-Schafter: new suspension (state-of-the-art)

-Infernus: slight 4WD adjustment

-Sultan: now RWD

-SultanRS: now RWD, increased performance

-Uranus: now RWD, stronger brakes

-Rebla: now 4WD

-Cabby: now FWD

-Minivan: now FWD

-Habanero: now FWD

-Ingot: now FWD

-Perennial: now FWD

-Pinnacle: now FWD

-Premier: now FWD

-Primo: now FWD

-Solair: now FWD

-Stratum: now FWD

-Vincent: now FWD

-Police: improved head-on behaviour

bikes:

-slight cornering speed adjustment for bikes

-slightly smaller turning radius for bikes

-Sanchez: new handling

-Faggio: new engine

weapons:

-realistic range (allows you to take down helicopters)

-reasonable damage increase (AK47 slightly stronger than M4)

-higher RoF for M4 (now 500 rpm, while AK47 remained 430 rpm)

I tested keyboard version on cars. OMFG i cant turn left. Its very hard to stering these cars. And bikes too. Will you fix that? Or i need to put joypad version?

Edit: I tested joypad version on my keyboard.. And it's the best! I just love it! cookie.gif

Edited by adijaga2

Yeah bigger damage, and plz make the cars even faster and make them accelerate better. I'd like to burn tires. I check the handling.cfg and pmp600 had a top speed of 210 km/h WTF? I'd make the SRT8 version (chrysler 300C) which has a top speed of 274 km/h. So maybe a bit more damage and acceleration is needed. And some cars need to be realistic. (german cars' top speed is 250 Km/h)

Anyway I love the thing you did to the Sultan RS.

And helicopter handling is pretty good, it really takes some time before you can make a loop without a crash biggrin.gif

Does this work on 1.03 multiplayer? I'm going to work now, so I can't test it out yet.

This 2.0 version is the best thing happened to GTA4, since 1.0.

Thanks for the work, and the hours of extra fun!!!!

Rob.Zombie

I have a new idea for tweak. Can you make cars much more easier to turn on it's top. Like SUVs and trucks should be easy to get on their side. And it might be an optional part, but can you make a dragster handling for Dukes, so we can wheelie with it? I'm not talking about a car that goes fast like f*ck (1 sec and the car is already on 150 Km/h), but a realistic one. Like in Fast and Furious.

UltimateGTR

Awesome! I'm going to install the latest version now! The next step must be realistic boats! biggrin.gif

Killatomate
Awesome! I'm going to install the latest version now! The next step must be realistic boats! biggrin.gif

i am a good driver and pilot, but i dont know anything about boats.

who uses boats anyway?

Awesome!  I'm going to install the latest version now!  The next step must be realistic boats! biggrin.gif

i am a good driver and pilot, but i dont know anything about boats.

who uses boats anyway?

I'm using boats some time.. For example having fun with Brucie on boat. On youtube are lot of movies where people driving on boats ( i think ).

Drunk Russian 9

We need to find out what prevents Niko from putting the pedal to the metal.

In racing games, this is called an acceleration helper, made to help control acceleration and to prevent burnouts.

But I don't want this crap; I want tire smoke as soon as I hit the throttle.

Killatomate

[...]I want tire smoke as soon as I hit the throttle.

niko does "putting the pedal to the metal". the problem is that he drives at very low rpm when he starts the car.

0-30 kph acceleration is bad because the engine is running at low rpm.

Drunk Russian 9

[...]I want tire smoke as soon as I hit the throttle.

niko does "putting the pedal to the metal". the problem is that he drives at very low rpm when he starts the car.

0-30 kph acceleration is bad because the engine is running at low rpm.

I thought that was it too, but it isn't. Look closely.

I played Project Torque and there is a clear difference in behavior when throttle is applied.

Check out

if you want to know what I mean.

Rob.Zombie

in some older versions of realistic driving the Banshee and other sport cars are doing burnouts as soon as Niko hits the gas pedal. I'm using that older version + the newer version for Helis biggrin.gif It's so cool that I can even drift around a car like in Tokyo Drift.

Anyway Killatomate will there be a another version? If yes I can help you setting up the car's top speed. Like why does PMP600 has a limit at 210? The 300C SRT8 has a top speed of 274 biggrin.gif And german cars should be limited to 250, while Lexus should be around 220 (if I remember well this is the limit)

Is there any way to change what vehicles spawn around you when using certain cars? It's annoying to have tons of scooters in every corner with many of the supercars, I'd rather have the nicer bikes going around then.

Killatomate
why does PMP600 has a limit at 210? The 300C SRT8 has a top speed of 274 biggrin.gif And german cars should be limited to 250, while Lexus should be around 220 (if I remember well this is the limit)

that is not topspeed, its one of the parameters that change gear ratio.

and why should the 300C be a SRT8? arent there enough fast cars already?

Is there any way to change what vehicles spawn around you when using certain cars?

no.

but you can open the "cargrp" file with notepad and replace "faggio" in each line with some other bike. But try not to change the order of verhicles or lines. even the smallest mistake can mess up your game.

any opinions on the helicopter handling yet?

just curious.

Rob.Zombie

well it is limiting the car. I had a dragster handling for the Dukes and it had a top speed of 340 (whoa wtf?) I changed it to 180 and the vehicle couldn't go faster than 180. Changing to that high speed because it's called realistic and changing to SRT8 because there's an SRT8 version of PMP600 in game. It has a spoiler, some side skirts and a new grill. Anyway I like the PMP's handling because it doesn't burn out when I start (like the real 300C)

And as for the helicopter handling:

It's fantastic. Makes it really hard to control and it gets some time before you can do a perfect loop, and is fun in MP biggrin.gif

Helicopter air handling is pitch perfect imho. It is real hard to master, but then it feels almost like a simulator. smile.gif

My only concern is on the ground: it is too easy to roll the copter over, when on the ground. Either when hit by a car or by a bad landing. I know landing is hard, and it is easy to crash a copter when something goes bad, but somehow this easy flipping is a bit unnatural for me. (I've never tried to land a helicopter in real life though, so possibly it _is_ natural)

Edited by Zaphat

Lexus 's fan

Thank you very much for creating such a great mod. This is the best mod ever for IV. Keep it up !

CREATOR OF THIS MOD:

If you want to get a sense of perfect helicopter physics, give Battlefield 2 a try.

I haven't since played a game that came close to emulating the awesomeness of BF2 choppers.

Seriously, if you want to progress any further on choppers, give it a try.

Killatomate

i know what a real helicopter handles like. and i doubt that a simple game such as BF2 could teach me sth.

the problem is that the gta flight model is very limited. furthermore, even simple changes make AI helicopters drop out of the sky.

i see no way to improve it further. unless you add new physics to the game and change AI. and add joystick support.

is helicopter difficulty level alright for everyone? any problems with hovering or landing?

i know what a real helicopter handles like. and i doubt that a simple game such as BF2 could teach me sth.

the problem is that the gta flight model is very limited. furthermore, even simple changes make AI helicopters drop out of the sky.

i see no way to improve it further. unless you add new physics to the game and change AI. and add joystick support.

is helicopter difficulty level alright for everyone? any problems with hovering or landing?

if u want to know what a real heli feels like buy flight simulator x it is a little advanced but from my knolage of helicopters a helicopter cannot neceraly do a barrel roll

Rob.Zombie

it's easy to land, it's easy to hover, the only thing that is hard is to get the control back over the chopper when the rotor hits the ground. I really don't want you to change it, cuz it'd act like this in real life. Maybe the only thing you should do is to make those blades more easy to crack. I think in real life if you crash a chopper into a building (maybe only the rotors it'll break off almost instantly. I know it'd make the handling much more harder, but what can I say... it's realism biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah, none of the helicopters can do barrel roll which is in game. The only chopper that can do this trick is the Lynx (if I remember well from Discovery Channel tounge.gif), but I think you should leave it like that.

Edited by Rob.Zombie

Quality job man, well worth the 400 hours you put in!

U fly helicopter for real I suppose? smile.gif Well, it takes time to get used to it and not easy, but very rewarding as you get much better control overall. Feels really good. The hardest part is controlling it near the ground. On sloping ground however take off is very hard, heli rolls over quickly (other times too). Also correction is very hard if you bank or pitch too much, you gotta be extra careful, but hey, that's what it's all about. Really great job!

For me cars still accelerate too much and too fast. Everything is according to reality, acceleration, maximum speed, I understand, I just feel there's a difference between the game's KPH and real life KPH, I feel at least 30%. If I use even MPH values, it feels more realistic in the game, so it's either me, or Rockstar Games uses MPH values in handling.dat. For very average cars in to accelerate from 0 to 100 in 3-5 seconds is just not realistic.

My question: is there a way to decrease maximum speed for all vehicles by percentage, without editing all cars stats, or I have to do it one by one? And when I decrease speed, acceleration will decrease too, or I have to change that too?

Then again: top quality work man! I'm using your mod since the first came out, just needed a little edit. But I'm no expert, so pls answer to the 2 questions man!

Edited by -Bone-

RaifalM3n

the new version is very nice `

btw will you edit the boats too ?

Rob.Zombie
Quality job man, well worth the 400 hours you put in!

U fly helicopter for real I suppose? smile.gif Well, it takes time to get used to it and not easy, but very rewarding as you get much better control overall. Feels really good. The hardest part is controlling it near the ground. On sloping ground however take off is very hard, heli rolls over quickly (other times too). Also correction is very hard if you bank or pitch too much, you gotta be extra careful, but hey, that's what it's all about. Really great job!

For me cars still accelerate too much and too fast. Everything is according to reality, acceleration, maximum speed, I understand, I just feel there's a difference between the game's KPH and real life KPH, I feel at least 30%. If I use even MPH values, it feels more realistic in the game, so it's either me, or Rockstar Games uses MPH values in handling.dat. For very average cars in to accelerate from 0 to 100 in 3-5 seconds is just not realistic.

My question: is there a way to decrease maximum speed for all vehicles by percentage, without editing all cars stats, or I have to do it one by one? And when I decrease speed, acceleration will decrease too, or I have to change that too?

Then again: top quality work man! I'm using your mod since the first came out, just needed a little edit. But I'm no expert, so pls answer to the 2 questions man!

The top speed and acceleration values are good as they are. Rockstar uses KPH not MPH. You can see it in the first section of handling.dat. It says something like this: Velocity (in Kph)