2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Thoughts On The Last Movie You've Seen

papanesta
Crokey
Message added by Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Pink

• Slamman

• makeshyft

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess... John Wick (2014)     If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the K

You talking to me?

The Irishman (2019)     Brilliant film. I'm still trying to digest it all. I think a second viewing in about a year's time will be nice. It's got all the hallmarks of a Scorsese fi

Well I'm going to post the last film I watched in the Cinema. Skyfall. The best bond movie to date IMO. And arguably one of the best action movie of the modern era IMO. Personally, I think Pierce Brosnan is the perfect bond, but the writers butchered his character in Die Another Day with a good plot that turned awful half way through. Daniel Craig is a close second for me because I absolutely hate Quantam of Solace. But yeah, Skyfall was the last amazing movie that I watched.

Edited by MyName'sJeff

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess...

John Wick (2014)

john-wick-poster1.jpg

If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the Keanu Reeves return to the floor that you've been waiting for.

Reeves reappears in the form of John Wick, a hitman who comes out of retirement to avenge the killing of his dog, itself a final gift from his recently deceased wife. In his campaign to get revenge on the killer he'll tear apart the Russian mob, the hitman underworld and large swathes of New York City.

This film is built purely on one major strength: the unrelenting, visceral action. Teaming up with Chad Stahelski and David Leitch, whom he first met on the set of The Matrix where they were charting the choreography, Reeves brings the familiar finesse and weight to the bullet ballet that takes up a majority of the screen time.

"Gun fu" is a term that I have laughed at, am laughing at as I type, and will most likely laugh at in the future. It's a silly term, but it completely works because it's made for ridiculous movies. That is not a bad thing. Much in the same way that Kung Fu films had crazy, unbelievable fights that could never happen, films like John Wick have people so effective at combat and killing and shooting that it makes Gun Fu an applicable description. The weapons of the killers in John Wick are extensions of their owners' bodies making it as much as a martial art as karate or judo.

Wide, extended shots allow the beauty of all the fight choreography to really shine through. Where many films cower behind frenetic motion and quick cuts, John Wick avoids the shortcuts even in its sure to be iconic night-club chase-come-massacre.

All this action takes place in a hammed up B movie hitman underworld completely bathed in style. Once he rejoins the criminal profesion, Wick inhabits a world where there are killer clubhouses, a hitman code and everybody seems to know everybody else's name and business (all things that, I imagine, don't tend to work out too well for your modern contract killer). The supporting cast, made up of femme fatales, unnerving hotel concierge and Russian playboys, pad out this world and bring it to life in that charms in a way only something out of a B movie can.

Somehow pulpy and fresh, John wick delivers a visceral, uncomplicated take on the B movie revenge film and Keanu Reeves proves that, as well as not physically ageing, he still possesses the skills to inflict unblinking, unemoting pain on the countless unnamed thugs of the mythical underworld.

Edited by Brobinski
  • Like 7

We seem to be watching all the same films recently Brobinski.. :p

The Drop

I'm not really into the drama genre, but i gave this one a shot since it has a crime theme. The movie turned out awesome, would definetly recommend this movie for everyone to watch.

i watched it last night and thought it was great. Tom Hardys character is very surprising at the end. i think he just acted like he was "slow"

If you liked The Drop you might like this as well.

• Like 1
Guest Billy Russo

tumblr_ndg66pbzD81u0o85wo1_500.gif

f*cking A-MAAA-ZIINGG. That's not an overstatement either, I found it to be sensational. Jake Gyllenhaal was amazing, Donnie Darko was his best performance for me, and now I'd choose this over it. Aside from the acting being top notch, it was just such a thrill to watch, I went in blindly after hearing good things. I honestly feel that's the best way to go in. It's one of those movies where I just can't describe why I love it so much, but there's just a combination of so many things that made me really happy with it.

I'm trying to talk about it without spoiling, because it's the last thing I'd want to do. Everyone needs to see it IMO. There's a particular Diner scene in the film that had me just sitting there still, and just amazed at what I was watching. It was so well filmed, and the tension built up so well. I can see myself watching this film so many times again. There's a ton of little things that just make the movie.

^i finally saw this last night and i also thought it was excellent, really well shot and would recommend

The Drop

I'm not really into the drama genre, but i gave this one a shot since it has a crime theme. The movie turned out awesome, would definetly recommend this movie for everyone to watch.

i watched it last night and thought it was great. Tom Hardys character is very surprising at the end. i think he just acted like he was "slow"

If you liked The Drop you might like this as well.

i heard thats not to bad, the drop kind of remind me of this movie too

[video=youtube;st5Vu7ZIu4E]

From my experience watching The Phantom Menace, I never really cared to see Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. I mean, I followed up with what the major events were in the respective films and probably saw them at one time or another on youtube, but never fully watched the films. I did that this week.

There's not much else to say about them from what's already known and generally agreed upon. I find it funny, though, that the person who ended up sh*tting all over Star Wars universe was Mr. George Lucas himself.

To sum up my experience prequels in one sentence: "nothing seems to make any sense at all."

ep3_tot3.gif

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. Got back just a few hours ago. I still love cartoons, dammit. :p I liked the movie, despite the fact that only about twenty minutes were spent out of water; the rest of the movie was 2-D, but it was overall enjoyable for me.

Guest Billy Russo

World War Z

Started off amazingly, and then turned in to something pretty retarded. Still enjoyed it overall though, it started off so fast paced when the initial outbreak happens, and was really exciting. But there's just some parts that are downright ridiculous, it is a Zombie movie, but even with that in mind, it's still pretty stupid what happens. Don't want to spoil anything incase somebody still hasn't seen it yet like I hadn't, but there's this wall scene, I'm sure you've seen it in the posters anyways, and I was just sat there like:

Seriously-Computer-Guy-Reaction-Gif.gif

Was fun as f*ck to watch though, probably the best Zombie/Infected movie I've seen since 28 Days Later.

Edited by Billy Russo

But there's just some parts that are downright ridiculous, it is a Zombie movie, but even with that in mind, it's still pretty stupid what happens. Don't want to spoil anything incase somebody still hasn't seen it yet like I hadn't, but there's this wall scene..

Wall scene in Israel? What's wrong with it? It was one of the best parts imo.

Guest Billy Russo

But there's just some parts that are downright ridiculous, it is a Zombie movie, but even with that in mind, it's still pretty stupid what happens. Don't want to spoil anything incase somebody still hasn't seen it yet like I hadn't, but there's this wall scene..

Wall scene in Israel? What's wrong with it? It was one of the best parts imo.

I'm not saying it wasn't entertaining. It just seemed ridiculous imo.

Ha, weird. I guess good taste is always similar.

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
what-we-do-in-shadows.jpg

Name the two things that are msot overdone in TV and film right now.

If you said "vampires" and "mockumentaries" then congratulations, we're both unusually tired of two quite specific things. It's strange then that this is the vampire mockumentary we didn't know we always wanted.

What We Do in the Shadows comes from the minds of Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement, two of the creative minds behind the massive cult hit Flight of the Conchords. Such a comedy pedigree bleeds into the bones of WWDitS and the style of humour blends well.

WWDitS is the documentary put together by the New Zealand Documentary Board team that shadowed four vampire flatmates in Wellington, NZ. The house is like a police lineup of vampire classics: the violent and explosion Vladislav from somewhere in Eastern Europe, a fancy 18th Century dandy in the form of Viago, Deacon the stylish and swaggering "youngster" at 183 years old and Petyr, the Nosferatu-esque ancient horror.

The four of them tackle issues that come up in all eternal lives. They have to feed on human blood, they struggle to keep up with technology, pine over long-dead lovers and argue about who has to wash the blood stained bowls that have been in the sink for years. The combination of the supernatural issues they face and the mundane gives the undead foursome a very human appeal, despite some of the sometimes digusting and sometimes hilarious (often both) things they carry out on their nights.

The style of humour is rapid, with quickfire jokes coming one after the next. The mockumentary style is used not like a crutch as it is in most TV shows right now, but to block off sections of the film with relative ease. It creates an atmosphere that feels almost like a combination of sketches, with little overarching plot, so don't go in expecting some Twilight drama you'll have trouble finding the vein.

A lot of the humour does feel quite obvious, but it's played off so smartly and genuinely that it works well enough to carry it off. Yes some of the jokes have been done before, and yes they were done because they were funny. The most cliché example lives in the rival pack of werewolves that the guys encounter a number of times through the film. The werewolves v zombies dynamic is nothing new, but the biting banter exchanged between the two, especially from pack's the alpha male (played by Flight of the Conchords' Rhys Darby). It's an easy joke to make, but not easy to do well, and this right here is one of my highlights.

The humour can kind of repeat itself, and not everything is original, but the quality of the jokes the team behind WWDitS breathes new life into at least two lifeless genres that have sorely been missing the blood in their veins.

• Like 3

you write really good reviews brobinski. i hadn't heard of that one before, but will definitely check it out

Ha, thanks. I will point out that i don't just write these things for here, I publish them on my blog too. It's mainly an exercise to make sure I do at least some writing while I'm stuck not working in a field where I would.

It doesn't surprise me that you've not heard of it, it hasn't had a wide release anywhere outside of New Zealand yet, I think. It's criminally underexposed, but I guess the same goes for Flight of the Conchords too, I guess.

Has anyone seen The Guest? Because holy f*ck, I did not expect that.

The Guest (2014)
The-Guest_Poster.jpg

Just saw this, I was a bit of a fan of Wingard since I saw Pop Skull. Really fun movie but very obscure unfortunately.

The last DVD I've watched (because sometimes I'll mindlessly watch whatever movie's on TV.) was Monty Python's Meaning of Life. A pretty enjoyable movie, provided vulgar humour is fine with you. It makes me laugh at quite a few of the scenes.

Bulletproof (1996)

oblivion- this is one of those movies that i was interested in, but didn't go out of my way to watch for a number of reasons. there was so much hype around it when it came out and then it seemed to get a lot of bad reviews, but i ended up really enjoying it. i felt the story came together well and the only thing i didn't really like was

the alien reveal

Edited by krashr

Ha, weird. I guess good taste is always similar.

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
what-we-do-in-shadows.jpg

Exactly what Pink said. Did you see Only Lovers Left Alive?

Edited by Mr.Scratch

I saw OLLA quite a while ago and loved it. This is what I wrote at the time.

Only-Lovers-Left-Alive-Poster-03.jpg

Vampire movies take on a lot of forms. Nosferatu set the standard in the 20s as an expressionist film. Buffy made it all into a bit of a laugh. The Blade films are better forgotten than remembered. And the Twilight series took the classly, immortal damned folk and made them into sparkly whiners.

Jim Jarmusch's Only Lovers Left Alive takes a subtler and slower approach than most. Vampires are few and far between in OLLA, with the titular lovers Adam (Tom Hiddleston) and Eve (Tilda Swinton) (yes, they really are called Adam and Eve... I know) spending years apart from each other at a time. When you're already centuries, maybe more, old and you've got a good chance of living forever you can take a bit of time for yourself away from everyone.

Adam and Eve tend to form two sides of the same coin. Adam secludes himself and becomes world weary. He creates and inspires for centuries but grows tired of humanity's self sabotage and destruction. Eve sees the beauty in the world and friendship, choosing instead to see the world's cycles that even the immortal can't escape.

Hiddleston and Swinton are the emotional core of this film where plot is sparse. The two take on their roles as the proto-hipsters of culture and long term partners wonderfully. Hiddleston is brooding and listless as if his immortality stopped him aging during his nihilistic 16-year-old phase and Swinton brings a marvellous agelessness quality to Eve. She has this strange ability to look both extremely young and old at the same time. A truly youthful expression on a slightly aged face is exactly what's needed and it's exactly what she brings.

A moody and sulking soundtrack compliments the visual design amazingly well. I'll usually say a great soundtrack is just one part of the atmosphere and you shouldn't be drawn out by it, but the music by Jozef van Wissem and Sqürl is nearly a characters in itself. Alongside the visuals (which peaks in the costuming of the central characters), the music and philosophical conversations between the lovers Only Lovers Left Alive feels like one of the most artistic vampire films for a long, long time.

(Ugh, Twilight bashing, classy move past-Rob)

It's not a glowing review but it really stuck with me in a similar sort of way Lost in Translation (my favourite movie period) did. A great example of a slow burner, considering I remember a lot of it even though it was nearly a year ago I saw it. It's strange actually, a quote/line popped into my head the other day and it took me ages to place it. When I finally did, I realised it was from this movie. It was Adam's line about there being some star made of solid diamond constantly ringing like a gong.

I stand by what i said about Swinton, she's captivating in it.

• Like 2

Just saw the Kingsman. f*cking wicked movie! It was really well done, and pretty funny. The action scenes were sufficiently violent and left very little to be desired. My favourite part was with the Subie near the beginning <3.

• Like 1