2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Thoughts On The Last Movie You've Seen

papanesta
Crokey
Message added by Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Pink

• Slamman

• makeshyft

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess... John Wick (2014)     If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the K

Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm   When the first movie came out, I was a different person.  Far more conservative.  I was angry at Borat for pointing out my country’s flaws.  As I’ve grown older

Face/Off, starring Nicolas Cage and John Travolta. Really over-the-top and "out-there" action movie with a very weird premise that's the very definition of "suspension of belief" and "what's the point

Watched Reservoir Dogs again last night, I'm on quest to bring it's blood soaked, slo-mo walking beauty to my friends.

Little Green Bag FTW!!!!

i watched Thor a while ago

and.....what did you think about it?

Let's be honest, here. Do any of us really give a f*ck what he thinks?

Watched 4.3.2.1 yesterday, thought it was pretty sweet. Loved the cameos from Kevin Smith and even Plan B's was a laugh.

I'd describe it as kind of a British Pulp Fiction in the way it's structured, though we're basically just seeing the same 4 days through 4 different people (I'm sure there's a more fitting comparison than Pulp Fiction to describe that). But yeah, kept me interested throughout and though the ending wasn't exactly shocking, it was quite rewarding.

Check it out, very entertaining.

Hard Candy was decent. The castration scene was certainly...original. What do they call that, a mindf*ck?

Mean Streets

Scorcese's second effort, and debut in to a crime. Every Scorcese flick deals with the Roman Catholic identity, but this one did it best, and most of all. The beginning of the film opens with, "You don't make up for your sins in the church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. You do it in the mean streets". Sets the tone very nicely, and throughout the film, Harvey Keitel will frequently wave his hand through candles to test the fires of hell. The conflict is, Keitel's character also grew up in Little Italy, where you're born in to the mafia business. His catholic values hold him back within the mob, and every day is a moral struggle. His best friend Johnny Boy Civello (De Niro) is deeply in debt to everyone in the neighborhood, and is far past any redemption. When Johnny Boy walks in to the bar, Keitel's character immediately realizes that the burden of keeping Johnny Boy safe from loan sharks and the cops IS the punishment for his sins. De Niro again is playing the intimidating funny guy role, but he does it well. If you're a Sopranos fan, you'll notice David Proval (Richie Aprile) here as well. The most interesting part is how the film is influenced by drug culture of the 60's, even when it's post Jefferson Airplane tounge.gif 9/10

Hard Candy was decent. The castration scene was certainly...original. What do they call that, a mindf*ck?

Yeah, at first i though Jeff was really being castrated, but apparently it just a fake.

GRINDHOUSE

Just watch it last night, and what a great movie!

There are two full length horror movies featured by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino, and a bunch of fake trailer. So, its just a compilation of that 2 movies.

The first one, Planet terror. Really bad ass movie, but digusting too. Like it!

The second one, Death Proff. Its about a crazy stuntman who stalked some woman, and the killed them by crashing his car into them. Its just like an addiction to him. Pretty good!

And the fake trailer like Machete (not fake anymore because they decided to make it to be a real movie), Thanksgiving, Werewolf Women of The SS, and Dont. Theyre awesome and hilarious. Especially Don't and

Nicolas Cage as..............Fu Manchu biggrin.gif

Edited by 69_black_69
i watched Thor a while ago

and.....what did you think about it?

Let's be honest, here. Do any of us really give a f*ck what he thinks?

I'm actually very curious to see him post something with more than just a few words, to prove that he's not some spambot.

Just about to watch Body Heat. I'll edit this post when I'm ready. I'll be looking to watch some good Noir-ish films in anticipation of L.A. Noire and so on.

I watched RED last night. I thought it was a pretty good movie with some really good actors. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be originally, but well worth a watch. I might be behind in the times with watching this since it has been out for awhile now.

There was lots of action and the story kept you watching. icon14.gif

Just about to watch Body Heat. I'll edit this post when I'm ready. I'll be looking to watch some good Noir-ish films in anticipation of L.A. Noire and so on.

I don't think I have to tell you this, but I'll state the obvious none the less: watch Chinatown and L.A. Confidential. The way they recreate the L.A. of their respective eras is fantastic, Chinatown especially. It's just such a beautiful film even on a purely superficial level.

Speaking of noir (kind of) I watched Notorious earlier today and my god what a bore it was. I've never been much of a Hitchcock fan (I like North by Northwest, Vertigo and Rear Window and that's about it) and this was a giant miss. It's not a bad movie per se, it just bored the living hell out of me. It's got all the ingredients for the making of a good Hitchcock, so if you're into that sorta thing it's all smooth sailing but it didn't do much for me. At least Cary Grant was as cool as he ever was.

Recently saw Apocalypse Now for the first time, but unfortunately it was the Redux version.

I actually did like the French plantation scene, barring the super cheesy romance that ensued between Willard and the lady. I feel it just didn't fit the film at all, and same goes for the Playboy bunnies scene. But most importantly, the ending. The Redux simply shows too much of Kurzt at the end, which effectively kills off his mysterious and god-like aura. Hard to really compare though, since I still haven't seen the original version.

Finding the original is a bitch, though. I bought this film on blu-ray as an Xmas gift for my in-laws and I swear the only version I could find was Redux. So I just gave up the search and finally bought it, oh the horror..

I think a lot of people take the title very literally, and so they endeavour to post "more than the title". This means you get posts that say "I watched Scarface with my friend Bob and my friend Jim and my friend Billie and it was well good" instead of just "Scarface" and they think they've delivered the goods.

Hypocritically, I don't actually have anything to contribute myself. I just never seem to get around to watching films these days. Got a backlog to get into though, including: Black Swan, The Tourist (I've heard this is sh*t), Get Carter, Donnie Darko, Wanted, Letters from Iwo Jima, Forrest Gump and Changeling.

Edited by Robinski
Hypocritically, I don't actually have anything to contribute myself. I just never seem to get around to watching films these days. Got a backlog to get into though, including: Black Swan, The Tourist (I've heard this is sh*t), Get Carter, Donnie Darko, Wanted, Letters from Iwo Jima, Forrest Gump and Changeling.

Make Get Carter and Donnie Darko your top priorities in that list. Although I have yet to watch Black Swan and The Tourist.

Yesterday I watched 'Jason and the Argonauts' for the first time. Most famous for Ray Harryhausen's special effects. Prior to this, the only 'Harryhausen film' I had seen was 'Clash of the Titans' which I quite enjoyed and so I was expecting an enjoyable film here too. I wouldn't say it lived up to my expectations. I did love the special effects, they were really enjoyable, especially the skeleton fight at the end and Talos the bronze warrior was pretty damn cool. But everything in between just fell a little flat for me. The acting was a little off the mark and reminded me off a poor Saturday morning kids show. I know it is dearly loved by a lot of people though and I recall it being in the GTAF Top 100 which is why I seeked out to watch this film. I wonder if this film is perhaps aimed at kids more than adults and it would have been better for me if I had watched it when I was younger? This film hasn't put me off Ray Harryhausen though. I still would like to see more of his films. Is there anybody here who might have some suggestions for me? I would like your input.

I don't think I have to tell you this, but I'll state the obvious none the less: watch Chinatown and L.A. Confidential. The way they recreate the L.A. of their respective eras is fantastic, Chinatown especially. It's just such a beautiful film even on a purely superficial level.

Speaking of noir (kind of) I watched Notorious earlier today and my god what a bore it was. I've never been much of a Hitchcock fan (I like North by Northwest, Vertigo and Rear Window and that's about it) and this was a giant miss. It's not a bad movie per se, it just bored the living hell out of me. It's got all the ingredients for the making of a good Hitchcock, so if you're into that sorta thing it's all smooth sailing but it didn't do much for me. At least Cary Grant was as cool as he ever was.

Thanks for the heads up on those films. Seen L.A. Confidential a good few years ago and gain recently. Love it.

I don't think I've seen Chinatown but I'll definitely check it out!

Didn't get to watch Body Heat last night but watched a documentary about the 'Memphis Three' - Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills and the second part to it.

I hear they're currently making a third part. It's a highly engaging feature doc about 3 murdered children and the guys convicted of their murder? The films explores the competence of the trial and whether the convicted really did it. New evidence is discovered a long the way and it's really interesting to see.

Not much I can say about. You'll have to watch it yourself. I highly recommend it!

Edited by ThePinkFloydSound

I just never seem to get around to watching films these days.  Got a backlog to get into though, including: Black Swan, The Tourist (I've heard this is sh*t), Get Carter, Donnie Darko, Wanted, Letters from Iwo Jima, Forrest Gump and Changeling.

Same here. My bookmarks are constantly growing, think I'm pushing twenty by now. Got plenty of stuff to read as well, but I just can't find the time. It's hard to devote more than a few hours a week to moving pictures so I pick a TV show to watch because I can just hop on an off as I please. It's easier to find the time to watch fifty minutes of I, Claudius than it is to find the four hours to devote to Once Upon a Time in America.

EDIT: I can't agree with Pandazoot. Donnie Darko is blown way out of proportion, way, way overhyped. However, I can definitely vouch for Letters from Iwo Jima (and Flags of Our Fathers if you haven't seen it).

@ThePinkFloydSound: You've never seen Chinatown? You're in for a hell of a flick. Hell, it's pretty much the driving force behind my desire for LA Noire.

Edited by Gronf

last movie i saw was shown last night on the tv.

How to Lose Friends & Alienate People

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455538/

5.5/10 In my opinion.

Worth seeing if your a fan of Simon Pegg, it had some funny moments, just not enough. Kirsten Dunst is also in it

and I would have probably rated it higher, if she wasn't the main love interest. The appearance of Megan Fox I guess makes

up for that though.

What the f*ck am I supposed to write.

Your thoughts on the film? If everyone just wrote the title what is the point in coming to the thread other than to pointlessly just show off what film you've just seen last?

People like me and a lot of others also come here for ideas of films to watch and just the title means jack sh*t.

I don't see how you didn't work that one out for yourself and you made me explain.

So, next time you know biggrin.gif

Ichi The Killer

user posted image

A Japanese film, basically about a sadomasochistic Yakuza enforcer searching for his bosses murderer. Let me just say this before I continue, this film is not for anyone sensitive to violence as it's one of the most vile and bloody films I've seen.

This isn't the most clever of films, it generally relies on extreme gore to move the story along but it's certainly enjoyable. It may sound deranged but it is generally a fun film to watch with a tongue in cheek quality to it. Despite this I did find the film genuinely good. The acting on most fronts was great, Kakihara in particular was a terrifying performance. The story is actually compelling and interesting and the writing was quite sharp, with both funny and emotional moments.

8/10

...it is generally a fun film to watch with a tongue in cheek quality to it.

I see what you did there, nice

I saw that fil some months ago, I agree with your review in every aspect. It actually gets to be extremely funny by just going totally over the top causing every gruesome act to turn into something bizare.

...it is generally a fun  film to watch with a tongue in cheek quality to it.

I saw that fil some months ago, I agree with your review in every aspect. It actually gets to be extremely funny by just going totally over the top causing every gruesome act to turn into something bizare.

The film is extremely funny in parts and that counter-balances for the extreme violence, like when he's cutting his tongue out and just after his phone rings and theirs this awkwardness. You couldn't have called at the worst moment.

Or when the guy is talking about how he got the plastic surgery done to his face so he wont be recognised by his old gang and the chap turns around and "could you not have chosen a better face?"

...it is generally a fun  film to watch with a tongue in cheek quality to it.

The film is extremely funny in parts and that counter-balances for the extreme violence, like when he's cutting his tongue out and just after his phone rings and theirs this awkwardness. You couldn't have called at the worst moment.

Or when the guy is talking about how he got the plastic surgery done to his face so he wont be recognised by his old gang and the chap turns around and "could you not have chosen a better face?"

Spoiler Tags. that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

Watched Shawshank Redemption last night, for the 2nd time only. I know most of you have watched it by now, but for the people who haven't, the rave reviews that this film gets are all true, it's one of the most powerful films I've ever seen I think. 1st time I watched it I wasn't paying full attention to it, so last night, watching it with a couple of joints, and I loved it.

Basically, a man (Andy Dufrense, Tim Robbins) is sent to prison, accused of mudering his wife and lover whilst they were in the act of making love, and although trying to best to protest his innonence, is locked up for two life sentences. Inside, he is befriended by a guy known as Red (Morgan Freeman), who's known as the man who can get anything you want.

I don't want to explain too much for those that haven't watched it, but trust me, truly great film.

The part with Brookes' death nearly got me going. One thing though, I'm not sure whether showing Andy & Red meeting up at the end was good or not. One part of me makes it think it's cheesy, and should have ended it when Red found that box, walking away from the field...[/color]

I'm not sure whether showing Andy & Red meeting up at the end was good or not. One part of me makes it think it's cheesy, and should have ended it when Red found that box, walking away from the field...[/color]

I really liked the ending to Shawshank Redemption. The vast ocean that you saw as Andy and Red saw each other again helped reinforce the idea of freedom. The whole film these characters' world is engulfed by the drab concrete of the prison, so at the end when you're confronted with this seemingly endless abyss of aqua blue along a pristine beach, it really nails down the turning tide of Andy & Red's life and expresses their newfound life without barriers.

I'm not sure whether showing Andy & Red meeting up at the end was good or not. One part of me makes it think it's cheesy, and should have ended it when Red found that box, walking away from the field...[/color]

I really liked the ending to Shawshank Redemption. The vast ocean that you saw as Andy and Red saw each other again helped reinforce the idea of freedom. The whole film these characters' world is engulfed by the drab concrete of the prison, so at the end when you're confronted with this seemingly endless abyss of aqua blue along a pristine beach, it really nails down the turning tide of Andy & Red's life and expresses their newfound life without barriers.

Think that's what made me love this film more, due to the use of imagery to truly set the feeling and atmosphere. Not too many films manage that these days IMO. I did like the ending in that aspect, just think I'm used to watching films that end making you wonder this and that, but don't get me wrong, great ending to truly set the feeling of freedom.