2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Thoughts On The Last Movie You've Seen

papanesta
Crokey
Message added by Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Pink

• Slamman

• makeshyft

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess... John Wick (2014)     If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the K

The Irishman (2019)     Brilliant film. I'm still trying to digest it all. I think a second viewing in about a year's time will be nice. It's got all the hallmarks of a Scorsese fi

You talking to me?

Life As We Know It.

Typical predictable chick flick, nothing to see here, move along now. Shouldn't quite make you lose the will to live in 2 hours though, so if you're dragged along to see it, you should survive. Alas I don't mind chick flicks, so not bad as they go.

As I assumed... some guy made a thread about it in here but it disappeared... assuming a mod removed it.

Sorry you had to waste your time/money on it.

Well it was either that or Dirty Dancing (again) at home, so coupled with a nice meal I guess it's not too bad.

Having said that, I'm dragging the same girl to see Tron with me as punishment. Booyah.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

A dark comedy by legendary filmmaker Werner Herzog starring Nicholas Cage at his best. Doesn't get much better.

Seriously, just watch this clip and then you'll know why it's one of the best films of the last decade.

If that doesn't sell it for you, you have a sad life.

Apocalypse Now: Hard to follow, mad at times, but like all films which are that long and epic in every way, it gives you a real sense of accomplishment when you finish it. Great movie. I would recommend it to all people who like psychological thrillers and just people who are interested in warfare, particularly Vietnam obviously.

I watched David Lynch's Blue Velvet for the first time last night. Still not sure what to make of it yet, eek. Kind of disappointing since he's one of my favourite directors. Honestly couldn't work out whether some of the cornier scenes were intentional black comedy or whether it really was that bad.

Still a great experience that has stayed with me, but it was no Mulholland Dr. or Eraserhead.

e: actually, f*ck, this clip reminds me of how good it was. Every single one of Lynch's films have such memorable scenes.

Edited by Ya Mum

I just watched this crappy old sci fi film from like the 70s. The effects were crap (you only ever saw like half the monster), only like 7 kills and the monster constantly changed shape. You might have heard of it, it's called Alien.

I joke, of course. So yeah I finally got around to seeing it. I'd already absorbed a lot of the films themes previously thanks to its place in pop culture: Giger's organic/biomechanical amalgamation, the anti-colonialism ideology, its atmosphere and build up etc. Sadly, it was somewhat ruined for me by this, I felt as if I'd already seen it and it felt very familiar. This can't match up to what really ruined it for me though (which was actually the same thing that convinced me to get the DVD as well): I'm doing an Approach to Media and Culture Analysis module for my degree and we worked with an essay by Barbara Creed where she psychoanalyses the film. There's a lot of talk about the "Monstrous Feminine" and such, especially with symbolism and hidden meanings. It was hard to watch the film, having read the analysis, and not see proverbial phalluses and vaginas everywhere.

But, despite this, it's a great film. The tension builds well and makes the payoffs great when standing alone they'd be kind of mediocre. The set design, especially for the crashed ship is beautiful and works really well with the organic/mechanical contrasting well with the industrial and antiseptic environments of the Nostromo.

Brilliant film. I just wish I could've seen it with no preconceptions. It must have been great to see it in its original run.

Watched the wonderful film, Soylent Green. Really, it's hard to properly describe this film in a way to do it justice, seeing as it is a very Idealised work of sci-fi. Nonetheless this film made me happy I put aside the time to watch it. The plot is definitely not one I will forget any time soon. Set in the year 2022, natural resources are depleted, food is weary, water is non-existent, the greenhouse gases have made Earth an almost complete desert and to make matters worse, homeless people are everywhere . Soylent Yellow and Red, new tablets of protein enriched goodness, are slowly becoming obsolete as humanity demands more. A new prototype wafer - Soylent Green - is finally distributed to the market, and finally it seems as though we might come to a good point in humanity.

That is, until detective Ty Thorn is investigating a routine murder, only to scratch the surface of a series of events that would lead any normal man to insanity. I don't want to ruin the major plot, but this film has seen some major influential drawl, so I'm positive someone here has already figured out the ending even if they don't realise it.

Soylent Green

Another film ruined for me by pop culture references. Never seen anything of it (stills, trailers etc.) but I can tell you that [sUPER DUPER MASSIVE SPOILER]Soylent Green is people.

This sort of crap wouldn't happen as much if not for the damned internet.

Pulp Fiction....oh god, why have I never seen this before? The final scene in the diner was so bad ass.

I'm going to do Makeshyft's job for a minute and say,

'How about posting more then two sentences about a three hour long movie - dunce.'

Bear with me here.

Sunday morning while on the computers my wife suggested we finally get to watching 'Day Breakers'. I went to the area of the internet where I get some of the movies we watch. Jokingly I said "Beverly Hills Cop 1,2, and 3 are available". Much to my surprise she said "Wow, I haven't seen that movie since the day" in an oddly excited tone. Then she went on to say she never saw 2 and had no idea there was a 3. I didn't know there was a 3 either.

We watched Beverly Hills Cop. There isn't a whole lot to say about it. It is a pretty standard 80s movie including the likes of Judge Reinhold and all. Aside from stuff like Trading Places and 48hrs I would say it is some of Eddie Murphy's best eddie murphy character stuff.

Guess what. I'm on my way downstairs now to watch 'Beverly Hills Cop 2' this very second.

I watched Blade Trinity it was meh

Christ, read the topic description, dumbf*ck.

Recently saw Jackass 3D. If you've seen the first two films in theaters and found it to be hilarious, you won't be disappointed. The 3D aspect really doesn't do much to make it more amusing, but it was cool to see some of their insane stunts in that dimension.

If you enjoyed the original two Jackass films, you won't be disappointed. **** and a half out of ***** for me.

I watched Mr Nice last night.

Interesting film indeed. It tell's the story of a famous Welsh drug lord (played by Rhys Ifans) and shows the majority of his life. It's a typical british drama laced with tads of comedy. Good performances around from Chloe Sevigny, Crispin Glover and David Thewlis. Really didn't know too much about the real life story at all, infact I had never heard of him before. So it's quite a eye opener, obviously it's been a tad glossed over as all "based on true events" films generally are but interesting nontheless. Rhys Ifans really does do a good job, and maybe the reason they picked him was because he was born in wales, but still a good choice.

Pulp Fiction....oh god, why have I never seen this before? The final scene in the diner was so bad ass.

'How about posting more then two sentences about a three hour long movie - dunce.'

Oh sh*t, maybe you're right, next time I better be a better critique before the e-police get me. Who gives a f*ck?

Oh wait there, since we're trying to play moderator...why don't you rate your previously watched movie instead of coming into a thread and criticising someones post.

I downloaded a movie called the Fourth Kind the other night and im about to burn it to DVD for me and my girl to watch. Basically, she got me to watch Paranormal Activity with her and I never even flinched throughout the entire film, it was complete sh*te. So I heard that this Fourth Kind is quite weird and my mate told me he sh*t bricks watching it. But yeah, I seen Paranormal Activity last week and it was probabally one of the most boring films i've ever seen, through the entirety of the film I was expecting something to happen but it didn't, untill the end and even that was terrible. I have no idea why it got such a huge reception.

Oh sh*t, maybe you're right, next time I better be a better critique before the e-police get me. Who gives a f*ck?

Oh wait there, since we're trying to play moderator...why don't you rate your previously watched movie instead of coming into a thread and criticising someones post.

Nobody's playing moderator. The subject of the topic explicity states to post more than just the title. Now, you posted a little more than the title, so, technically, you didn't do too badly.

However, what that subject actually means is that this topic is a place for people to explain why they liked or disliked a film. Saying something was badass or saying something was sh*te is just as bad as simply posting the title. So, if you don't like the general rules of this thread, then just stay the f*ck out of it.

PUNX 4 LYF, and all that sh*t, eh?

Nobody's playing moderator. The subject of the topic explicity states to post more than just the title. Now, you posted a little more than the title, so, technically, you didn't do too badly.

However, what that subject actually means is that this topic is a place for people to explain why they liked or disliked a film. Saying something was badass or saying something was sh*te is just as bad as simply posting the title. So, if you don't like the general rules of this thread, then just stay the f*ck out of it.

Ok, but why get so worked up as to actually go out of your way to post something witty to degrade someones post...who gives a sh*t what someone else posts? Thats where moderators come in and offer out reminders and warnings. Just report and ignore...if you're that sad to be even remotely bothered about it.

I think its far worse to comment on someones posting ability rather than actually rate a film instead...now I have taken on board the general rules of this thread (Even though the OP doesen't have any rules at all) and I never noticed the sub-title, which is where my little rant about Paranormal Activity came in, so yeah, what i'm trying to get at here is the fact that people could alternatively just say something like "It would be better if you could post a bit more about the film and explain why you liked/disliked it to promote healthier discussion" rather than something witty and sarcastic.

And I don't know what you mean by "PUNX 4 LYF", which had no relevance to the argument at all. Thats all from me...you wont see me posting in here unless I want to discuss film.

As for Pulp Fiction, brilliant cast and great directing (which is expected of pretty much any Quentin Tarantino movie). The film itself has probabally some of the best dialogue I have ever heard, Samuel Jackson is awesome in that diner scene, probabally one of his best ever, it was pure brilliance. I love the intersecting storyline aswell, it was great the way the whole movie played out.

Ok, but why get so worked up as to actually go out of your way to post something witty to degrade someones post...who gives a sh*t what someone else posts? Thats where moderators come in and offer out reminders and warnings. Just report and ignore...if you're that sad to be even remotely bothered about it.

I think its far worse to comment on someones posting ability rather than actually rate a film instead...now I have taken on board the general rules of this thread (Even though the OP doesen't have any rules at all) and I never noticed the sub-title, which is where my little rant about Paranormal Activity came in, so yeah, what i'm trying to get at here is the fact that people could alternatively just say something like "It would be better if you could post a bit more about the film and explain why you liked/disliked it to promote healthier discussion" rather than something witty and sarcastic.

And I don't know what you mean by "PUNX 4 LYF", which had no relevance to the argument at all. Thats all from me...you wont see me posting in here unless I want to discuss film.

As for Pulp Fiction, brilliant cast and great directing (which is expected of pretty much any Quentin Tarantino movie). The film itself has probabally some of the best dialogue I have ever heard, Samuel Jackson is awesome in that diner scene, probabally one of his best ever, it was pure brilliance. I love the intersecting storyline aswell, it was great the way the whole movie played out.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. I wasn't having a go at you, just distractedly offering an explanation for the reason Unoriginal commented on your post. Nobody expects a print-quality review, just a simple explanation as to why you liked the film. I appreciate the thought which went into your rebuttal, as most people would have simply told me to go f*ck myself or something equally charming.

The sign-off was just me being a smart-ass. Try not to read too much into it or take it personally. I can't help myself.

Now, I'd love to offer a review to get things back on track, but I have been too f*cking busy writing about films to watch one in weeks. It's bullsh*t, really.

ed: oh FFS, all that talk and resolution, then we get a post like the one below. I f*cking give up.

Edited by makeshyft

I can't stop laughing, honestly. This place is hilarious for this exact reason. I mean - really? By the way, if Wreckless Jake does come back in here, I didn't mean to come off as a total douche, I'm just in the same boat as Makeshyft when it comes to people coming in here and posting two sentences about a movie. Sort of defeats the sub-title of this topic, completely.

Last film I watched was Woody Allen film Another Woman. Since I was baked and watching it in bed, I fell asleep. That had no reflection about the films quality. I was really enjoying it and will watch the rest later or tomorrow.

The last film I completed (har har) was The Rules of Attraction. I thought this film was OK. I mean I enjoyed it but sure I love films and this one had what I like most in films - character interaction and how people get a long with one another in certain situations and how others lives can unknowingly effect others.

The film is based on a book of which the same author, Bret Easton Ellis, wrote American Psycho. Funnily enough, the protagonist in this film is also called Bateman. Ellis must have some twisted mind as there are plenty of disturbing/twisted/funny moments in the film.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but if you enjoyed the dark humour American Psycho and a story with some good characters I'd recommend it's least worth a watch.

I don't really trust trailers any more but here you go...

Yeah, the character in RoA is Patrick Bateman's younger brother, Sean. They have a chat in the book. From memory, I think Sean actually pops up in 'Psycho', as well.

Ellis does that a lot, actually. One of Pat Bateman's buddies is a troubled teen in The Informers.

Edited by makeshyft