2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Thoughts On The Last Movie You've Seen

papanesta
Crokey
Message added by Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Pink

• Slamman

• makeshyft

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess... John Wick (2014)     If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the K

The Irishman (2019)     Brilliant film. I'm still trying to digest it all. I think a second viewing in about a year's time will be nice. It's got all the hallmarks of a Scorsese fi

Just watched 8/10

On 2/25/2021 at 9:14 AM, Arrows to Athens said:

Fun fact: The film was shot in a single long take from about 4:30 AM to 7:00 AM on 27 April 2014 in the Kreuzberg and Mitte neighbourhoods. The script consisted of twelve pages, with most of the dialogue being improvised.

I love this. Been meaning to watch this film for a long time. Sounds thrilling. I also stated in Kreuzburg/Mitte districts when I stayed in Berlin, so would love to see it again in a film. 

I've watched a few films again as I was missing them and not watching much. I watched White Boy Rick and Calm With Horses. 

I'll write about Calm With Horses, Nick Rowland, 2019. 

MV5BODcyMDc4OTMtNDBkMS00YjRkLTllYjQtNTIy

This is a film by by first time feature director and Englishman Nick Rowland and it's written by Joe Murtagh, born to Irish parents in England. It's set in Ireland so it's very much an English/Irish effort, funded by institutions in both countries. It stars Cosmo Jarvis (Armstrong) (who for an non-native/Englishman does a great west of Ireland accent) and Barry Keoghan. Cosmo plays a retired boxer who's not really very intellectual and he's easily manipulated and gets groomed to be an enforcer for a local south-west of Ireland gang. This crime-family take Armstrong away from his duties as a family man and father which takes him down the wrong path.   At first, I thought they were travellers/gypsies but they aren't. Just very small-town criminals but violent and nasty nonetheless. It's a good film, if not a bit hard to watch. It's grounded in more realism and drama like a Ken Loach film, than a stylish gangster/thriller. Barry Keoghan is a great actor and I really believed his character. Even met people like him in the west. 

I'd give this film a 7/10. I think it suffers a little too much from being perhaps too serious and real. Although it did have some comic relief from one of Barry Keoghans's character's friends in it, it could have done with a bit more comic relief due to the heavy nature of the themes. Although there is also a risk that you compromise drama with comedy.. there is a fine line.. some writer/directors are just superb at walking that line. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2

BLOODLINE (2018)

6363967_so.jpg

I watched this film last night and its a horror/thriller starring Sean William Scott, Henry Jacobson is the director of this fine masterpiece, He is also the co writer along with Will Honley and Avra Fox-Lerne but the best part is Jason Blum is one of the producers of the film so I knew this was gonna be good. I can definitely say that I thoroughly relished it. First things first I endeared the cinematography and the film also used vibrant colors (rarely used in movies) in the whole film which is something highly astounding, unique and disparate for me. The soundtrack was outstanding and was composed by Trevor Gureckis. Sean William Scott's performance was so captivating and phenomenal as I have only seen comedic characteristics of him in cop out (2010) but to witness Sean's mystifying character in this film was truly an honor along with the supporting actors who did a great job too. Bloodline has been compared to a TV series called Dexter(Never seen it) by viewers and critics on IMDB which also has an interchangeable narrative.

The film premiered at Fantastic Fest on September 22, 2018.

The film was released on September 20, 2019 by Momentum Pictures and received mixed reviews from critics.

Synopsis: Evan, a man with homicidal tendencies, lives a double life. Being a social worker, he counsels abused teenagers during the day and kills their abusers in his free time.

The rating on IMDB is 6.0/10 

My individualized rating is 8/10

I highly recommend and definitely worth another watch!

Edited by WageWar
  • Like 4
Algonquin Assassin

Birdemic: Shock & Terror. I really felt like watching one of those "so bad it's good" type movies. I have seen it before, but what a beautiful piece of garbage it is.

-Absolutely woeful acting where I'm sure high school kids doing a film project could do a better job.

-Awful camera cuts.

-The sh*ttiest CGI you'll ever see. 

-Sound that literally cuts out between takes.

And it's not like this movie is a cheesy B grade movie from the 70s/80s. It came out in 2011. The thing what makes it hilarious is it was intended to be a serious horror/romance movie. Not a tryhard comedy. I don't know. It's hard to describe in words. You have to see it for yourself. To me it's to movies what Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing and Deadly Premonition are to video games.:kekw:

D Absentis

'parasite'

I get why the praise i liked it i also get that it got a deeper meaning but if this movie was made in an other time many people would have trashed it for its pacing and genre direction that is going all over the place.

The one moment it makes you laugh.... the one moment you are not sure if you should laugh...if you should be afraid....if you should feel sad....

Again fun watch but i think it is overrated and i just do not get how anyone was able after that ridiulous roleroaster to really still be deeply involved into the plot and the characters....it is just to ridiulous and distracting.

Been a while folks, hope all are safe and well too. I've watched a few this week/weekend worth a mention.

Zack Snyder's Justice League

(*see the DC thread for more*)

Bloody good film though! Probably too long for some, but after many Scorsese flicks, I'm all good with a 4 hour monster. The theatrical release was good but this was great, very much recommended, 9/10.

Tenet

Hmmm. It was a decent flick. Well made, as you'd expect from a Nolan movie. Great acting too of course (and after all that Twilight pap, Robert Pattinson wasn't distracting, lol), everything was there to make a great picture, but it didn't really grab me like it could have like Interstellar did really.

Just one of those films you probably should watch once just to see what's up and how it was done. It wasn't too hard to get what was going on and just played out like a decent action movie overall. I did like learning that Chris Nolan actually bought a real jumbo jet to crash in the movie to keep the effects very practical of which I do enjoy those set pieces in action movies.

But the movie just couldn't grab me like it should, I wasn't really invested in the characters too much, possibly because I went in knowing the movie needed good attention on the story that I missed that key part of engaging with the characters and story that way and it all felt a bit flat/emotionless in the end.

I do kind of recommend it, but it's not a must see. Interstellar did what this film does but better in every way I believe. A 6/10.

Hellraiser/Hellbound: Hellraiser II/Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth

I finally got my hands on the Hellraiser scarlet box blu ray set, and it's fantastic. It comes with loads of extras too. 

It's been years since I saw these, some 20-25 years. And at a time where I would have concentrated on the gore/violence with mates more than the story itself to be fair. It was great to watch these with a more mature head on my shoulders now.

The first, Hellraiser, is a bit of a classic. It has a B-movie charm to it, complete with soap-like acting, and as I remember, it is quite gory too. But I loved it. Compared to much horror of the time it takes its time and looks to play the slower build until we get to the final act but still offering the goods all the way through. Quite a simple flick really but really creative and tells its story well. The wife has a real 'evil bitch' look/vibe to her that worked really well here. 7.5/10.

The second, Hellbound, is equally as good I felt. It definitely adds to the story and the acting is a little better, more gore and menace about this part plus it has some fun in the labyrinth of hell with some rather dated graphics, but I can look past those flaws and immerse into the movie no problems too. Another 7.5/10.

Hellraiser III though, that's where ya probably gonna want to start to leave it. It gets a bit crazy and the acting dropped too far now. Some silly new looks for new cenobites come into this chapter and though it delivers on the gore for those that enjoy it (I did, lol), it's a pretty weak film that tries too much by bringing the hell to earth, but has some silly fun kills and a bit more depth to the pinhead character that wasn't terrible. 6/10.

I'd not recommend going further into the other 7, yep, seven, Hellraiser movies unless you set your standards really low, lol.

Overall though, a fantastic trip down memory lane, Pinhead is a great presence and commands his scenes in these films very well and the actor is clearly enjoying more as they go on. Some cool documentaries and short films from Clive Barker on the discs to get stuck into too. He's such a dark chap is Clive Barker. It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. 

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Wording.
  • Like 3

Finally got around to White Boy Rick.. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqP5NJCh8bZZpYIUUypI8

White Boy Rick, Yann Demange, 2018

It's based on a true story about a 14yo kid from a dysfunctional family. He lives with his father played by Matthew McConaughey. He was indoctrinated by LEA (FBI) to inform on some drug dealers. As he gets deeper informing, he picks up a couple of charges which the agents are able to make disappear given he's an informant. However, Rick becomes a little too good at being trusted and building up relationships that he ends up getting deeper into drug dealing and gets caught with an amount that will automatically give you life. He was 17 when he got caught and treated as an adult. 

It's leans more on the arthouse-drama side of things. It's shot beautifully and has an amazing soundtrack. Unfortunately Rick isn't that charismatic. He's likeable but I never felt like I really cared for him. Great performances from the FBI agents, the girl that plays his sister and Mathew McConaughey. 

Worth a watch as it's based on a true story and it looks superb. Just lacks a little in the execution. It's directed by Yann Demange who did the excellent Belfast-set '71  (2014) which is pure class. So, it was it good hands. 

Recommendation.. '71, Yann Demange, 2014

I'd highly recommend '71 if any of you haven't seen it.  It's about a British Army soldier serving in Belfast, Northern Ireland who gets separated and lost from his platoon and has to navigate his way to safety through the streets of Belfast in height of IRA activity and sectarian violence. 

In this clip you see how all the community in Irish-Catholic areas would bang their rubbish cans to alert that British forces are coming to make raids on houses for suspected IRA-men. Our protagonist, Jack O'Connoll, British Army, kind of has this realisation that it's practically whole communities of civilians are aiding in the efforts the British forces are trying to thwart. It's very compelling stuff. I think Demange, being French makes a wonderful film where you can empathize with British and Irish alike. It's unbiased. It shows how dark secarianism can be but most of all that there are humans on both sides that display great humanity. 

Edited by Mister Pink

Tired of trash Hollywood! 

Last movie I watched was Shoplifters 2018 and I liked it!

I recommend these Korean movies

Oldboy

The Handmaiden (Extended version!) 

Pietà 2012

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

The Isle 2000

Parasite 2019

and ETC .... that I don't remember at this moment!

These movies teach you value of life! (Warning: Hard to swallow things for soft boys!)

Edited by WanteD1
Algonquin Assassin

Decided to check out La Bamba since it leaves Netflix in a couple of days.

Brilliant movie. Ritchie Valens died way too young man. A star on the rise.😢

Double bill.. I watched 2 films recently.. 

In The Line of Fire, Wolfgang Peterson, 1993

large_k96sIyWl6N9k1uneF51UN4Fzhne.jpg

If you are a fan of Clint Eastwood, you'll be a fan of this. He's essentially playing that role we enjoy. He's a bit of a f*ck-up, a womanizer, a bit over-the-hill, but he's got crazy intuition out the wazoo. Sometimes it's a little off-kilter but when he's right he's right!  The film seems a little dated in terms of the action-thriller style of film - it's very 90's. It's shot in a classical style with locked/static shots. John Malkovich plays a dishevelled guy bent of killing the president. Eastwood plays a near-retirement veteran who was on duty when JFK was killed. He carries that baggage. Malkovich's character wants to play a cat-and-mouse game with Eastwood as he plots to kill the president. 

Good film. It's got 96%  of RT. The film I watched was.. 

Bad Trip, Kitaoi Sakurai, 2020. 

f59f0d4e6aacf56073efe8f03da391f94fb7d879

It's part-written by and staring Eric Andre. It's a prank-film with a narrative, a bit like the Borat films. I think it's a underrated. It's got around 73% on RT. If you are a fan of Eric Andre, you'll get it immediately. This man pushes the limits of pranking. Every now and then a legendary prankster comes around and pushes the limits. In the 90's it was Tom Green, in the 00's it was Jack Ass crew and in '10/'20's it's Eric Andre. He just changes the game. This film is no different. I laughed my ass off at this film. Some of the pranks are just insane,  they're really elaborate and f*cked up. :D I can't say anything about it or I'll spoil it. Just watch it. Both films were on my local Netflix (UK). 

• Like 1

bC8Kxy1.jpg

Boss Level (2021) - IMDb  

This was one of the best action films I've seen in a while and the humour or one liners funny too, my favourite was the one in the  video at the  top,  I highly recommend  watching it, it was  entertaining  and worth the amazon prime rental fee

Edited by Craigsters
  • Like 1
DownInThePMs

Siege of Jadotville

The Siege of Jadotville (film) - Wikipedia

It's a movie on the Netflix that's based on the actual Siege of Jadotville which happened in late 1961, in which 50 Irish UN Peacekeepers held their ground in the aforementioned township in Katanga, Congo, against a nearly 5000-strong coalition of Katangese rebels, Belgian security detail and French mercenaries, which ended with 0 deaths on the Irish side, and plenty on the opposite side.

It's a great film with really cool action scenes and some pretty funny dialogue, but there's also some pretty insightful and jarring commentary on the effectiveness of the UN, the relationship between the military and political spectrum, as well as how soldiers on the losing side are treated as soon as they reach home. I highly recommend it if you've got time to spare and like war movies set during the Cold War.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2021 at 3:59 PM, DownInThePMs said:

Siege of Jadotville

Had no idea what that films was about until now. Must give it a watch. 

In The Name Of The Father, Jim Sheridan, 1993.

p15280_p_v10_ab.jpg

Film starring Daniel Day-Lewis who plays Belfast man Gerry Conlon, one of 4 accused of IRA membership and planting a bomb in a pub in Guilford, England which sadly took the lives of 5 people and injured many more. Incredible film. It was nominated for 7 Oscars and currently 94% on RT. I had seen it before about 12 years ago so I had forgotten much of it. Also, it's great to go back to films after maturing more and learning more through life. Films can take on new meanings and offer different perspectives. The film is really damning of a corrupt British legal system that basically framed these people with murder and 7 others, including kids with bomb-making and assisting. Around 40 bombs were detonated in London and England by the IRA and there was huge anti-Irish sentiment at the time, understandably so. There was huge pressure to make arrests and get convictions. 

This film has a bit of everything, family-drama, politics, corruption, action, violence and some great prison scenes. 

Edited by Mister Pink
Algonquin Assassin

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) - IMDb

Still one the most hilarious movies of all time.

I also watched the Holy Grail the other night too. Imagine making movies like this today?

• Like 1

I just watched all of The Phantom Menace for the first time. What an atrocious film. Boring parliamentary procedures and overproduced, poorly aged CGI space battles. 
Jar Jar. 
Why does Jar Jar? 
The upshot is that we had a jolly good time. I watched it with a couple of mates after having seen Return of the Jedi earlier in the evening (one in our group has seen 0 star wars and we're doing a marathon) and while it was one of the very worst films I have ever seen, it made for a really fun evening.

MV5BMDJiNzUwYzEtNmQ2Yy00NWE4LWEwNzctM2M0

Extraction on Netflix was a really solid action film. Pretty entertaining, tightly paced and kept me watching. Chris Hemsworth made for a good leading man.

• Like 1

Just attempted watching Blade runner 2049. God, what an empty, unnecessary piece of commerce this is. First movie in years that I bailed on midway through. I usually force myself to finish films no matter what, but here I just gave up. What a terrificly disastrous combination of empty script and snail-like narrative pace. Even the eye-candy cinematography from arguably the world's best(Roger Deakins) can't help it. I'm happy it flopped in the box office. An unnecessary sequel to say the least.

Edited by RenegadeAngel
Algonquin Assassin

Plan 9 From Outer Space. My God. If Tommy Wiseau had a time machine and went back to the 50s this is the piece of sh*t he would make.

In saying that what a wonderful piece of sh*t it is and I understand why it has a cult following. If you like nonsensical plots with vampires, undead and people who are supposed to be "aliens" give this one a go.;)