2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Thoughts On The Last Movie You've Seen

papanesta
Crokey
Message added by Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Pink

• Slamman

• makeshyft

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess... John Wick (2014)     If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the K

The Irishman (2019)     Brilliant film. I'm still trying to digest it all. I think a second viewing in about a year's time will be nice. It's got all the hallmarks of a Scorsese fi

You talking to me?

Haven't posted here in a while. Recently saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre from 1974. Some spoilers below:

Spoiler

The first two thirds or so of the film felt like pretty standard slasher stuff with the killer picking off the teenagers one by one. I liked the cinematography and sound design, but plot-wise it sort of just felt like a classic horror movie that maybe hadn't aged so well as it's been mimicked too many times.

But then the final third happened and things got pretty crazy in a way I didn't initially expect. I really liked the whole family dynamic especially with the dad being kind of abusive towards Leatherface. It was nice to see a side of the character that isn't just the big scary dude who's gonna kill you.

Then we get the reveal of the grandpa who I thought was straight up just a corpse, but turns out he's just really old. That scene where they try to make him use the hammer, but he keeps dropping it was kind of hilarious and insane. I also really enjoyed the chaotic final chase scene where a bunch of random passersby get involved. And that ending shot of Leatherface just swinging his Chainsaw around in the middle of the street kinda stuck with me as well.

So yeah I think the last third really made up for most of the movie. I liked it better than the original Halloween personally which I saw a couple years ago.

Edited by Richard Power Colt
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Richard Power Colt said:

Haven't posted here in a while. Recently saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre from 1974. Some spoilers below:

Reveal hidden contents

The first two thirds or so of the film felt like pretty standard slasher stuff with the killer picking off the teenagers one by one. I liked the cinematography and sound design, but plot-wise it sort of just felt like a classic horror movie that maybe hadn't aged so well as it's been mimicked too many times.

But then the final third happened and things got pretty crazy in a way I didn't initially expect. I really liked the whole family dynamic especially with the dad being kind of abusive towards Leatherface. It was nice to see a side of the character that isn't just the big scary dude who's gonna kill you.

Then we get the reveal of the grandpa who I thought was straight up just a corpse, but turns out he's just really old. That scene where they try to make him use the hammer, but he keeps dropping it was kind of hilarious and insane. I also really enjoyed the chaotic final chase scene where a bunch of random passersby get involved. And that ending shot of Leatherface just swinging his Chainsaw around in the middle of the street kinda stuck with me as well.

So yeah I think the last third really made up for most of the movie. I liked it better than the original Halloween personally which I saw a couple years ago.

One of my all time favourites, saw it when I was young and it left such an impression on me and for so long it was the film to beat as my favourite 'nasty' horror flick.

It's lost it's power a bit compared to what's out there now I feel through its age but still the best of the franchise, although the original sequel with Dennis Hopper isn't terrible (and is directed by the same chap as the original, Tobe Hooper) and the remake from 2003 was pretty darn good with R. Lee Ermey a menacing highlight. Worth a watch if you can.

• Like 3
On 11/28/2020 at 3:05 AM, Lonely-Martin said:

One of my all time favourites, saw it when I was young and it left such an impression on me and for so long it was the film to beat as my favourite 'nasty' horror flick.

It's lost it's power a bit compared to what's out there now I feel through its age but still the best of the franchise, although the original sequel with Dennis Hopper isn't terrible (and is directed by the same chap as the original, Tobe Hooper) and the remake from 2003 was pretty darn good with R. Lee Ermey a menacing highlight. Worth a watch if you can.

I actually prefer the 2003 remake over the '74 original. The best in the series, in my opinion. I also didn't like the slightly comedic approach with the original sequel. Never seen the third one. The 2006 prequel might be my second favourite. The 2013 reboot was meh. Leatherface (2017) was forgettable.

I'm interested to see what they're gonna do with the new one. 

Edited by Arrows to Athens
  • Like 1
  • YEE 2
7 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

I actually prefer the 2003 remake over the '74 original. The best in the series, in my opinion. I also didn't like the slightly comedic approach with the original sequel. Never seen the third one. The 2006 prequel might be my second favourite. The 2013 reboot was meh. Leatherface (2017) was forgettable.

I'm interested to see what they're gonna do with the new one. 

The '03 remake was definitely one of the best remakes of these old horror classics. A very good film, I love the flick. But for me, I just saw the original long before that and it really captivated me. From there I was hooked in on these more rough looking horror flicks like The Last House on the Left or Hills Have Eyes, even Cannibal Holocaust etc and later stuff like Wolf Creek or Wrong Turn too. I just had to seek out more back then after Chainsaw, though some were more grim than expected, lol.

The prequel to the remake was cool too but yeah, again R Lee Ermey commanding as always, he's such a natural nasty bad guy. The 2 more modern flicks just haven't got much to offer except maybe the first 5 minutes of the 2013 on where some original cast members popped in for a cameo, only seen those two once each and remember less, probably says it all. 

As for 3 and 4/next gen, oof. I know part 3 had major creative/censor issues to the point the director disowned it but I'd need to look up more to see if there are alternate versions out in today's market as many older more troubled/controversial films get a better/uncut release. And I know Matthew McConaughey is very embarrassed by part 4 to the point he tried to legally stop the film release, though I do feel he embraced the role well at the time and was a bit loopy there. Although the whole Leatherface/crossdressing thing was very weird. Kim Henkel of the original directed part 4 though so had to try it, but it's far from what the first couple were.

I like the original sequel though, but do understand the criticisms as it's a bit of a weird one. Bill Mosely's character was fun (though he really came into his own with Rob Zombie's homage in House of 1000/Devil's Rejects), and Dennis Hopper is really just on a different planet, lol. IIRC, it was created during a bad spell for him and basically was booze money, but for Tobe Hopper, I believe he didn't want people to make the same mistake as with the original as he wanted it to be more campy/corny than it turned out (he had hoped for a PG rating too!), but it turned out to be one of the scariest, more daunting flicks of the era, lol. Plus after 2 project attempts with Cannon Films prior to part 2 and no real success, basically was talked into making another Chainsaw as both he and the company needed a hit to bank on as Cannon  It did feel a bit rushed/cheesy rather than either outright funny or scary.

Good gore from Tom Savini as usual though. I feel it does have that rough edge, but because it's much gorier than the very effective original, that put many off too. Definitely a bit controversial in its day though, so was a guarantee I'd give it a go, lol. The censors didn't like the subtext of sexuality in that one. I just had to buy the Arrow Films limited edition, much like Last House and both 'Hills' flicks. 

• Like 2

Inheritance (2020)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeuuyIwuYytBy8T7y4K1V

I unearthed this movie 3 days ago on google, I saw the rating (IMDB rating: 5.5/10) and read the synopsis so I downloaded it 2 nights ago and watch it today.

Its an American thriller and the progression of the movie got me very baffled until right after the center but I can say I was quite impressed with the ending. It had phenomenal special effects, magnificent cinematography and astonishing acting from almost all the cast especially Simon Pegg.

I was highly shocked when I discovered that Simon Pegg was going to be the antagonist of the film as I didn't really delve too deep into the cast prior to when I unearthed Simon's presence in the movie (which was the moment where I paused the movie and unearthed the full cast) So I was really content and to witness his evil, mysterious and twisted side of a character was something truly iconic as I have only seen Simon's comedic characteristics in movies: Shaun Of The Dead (2004) Hot Fuzz (2007) and Paul (2011). 

The movie was directed by Vaughn Stein who also has been populated for being an assistant director for movies like World War Z, The Dark Knight and Kickass 2.

Synopsis: A patriarch of a wealthy and powerful family suddenly passes away, leaving his wife and daughter with a shocking secret inheritance that threatens to unravel and destroy their lives.

Overall the movie is worth a watch and I will most likely give it another watch in the near future.

Edited by PicklePrick
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonder Woman 1984.

Saw this at an advanced screening last night. Pedro’s heavily Trump inspired role of Max Gold was the highlight. Chris Pine was the head of the humour department in this one, who is constantly baffled by new technologies (including a trash can). Kristen Wiig does an awesome job as the villain, especially during the final battle although said battle is pretty anti climatic. One of my biggest gripes with the first movie was the over over overuse of slow motion during some sequences which have been toned down in this one. The mid credits scene was great although I heard a lot of confusion amongst those that were in the theatre.

Was watching some classics and was surprised how much the german filmtitles differ from the original. 

F.e. "deerhunter". German title is " die durch die hölle gehen" ( those who go through hell)

or "deliverance". German title " beim sterben ist jeder der erste" ( thats impossible to translate, for me at least. But what the title means is:  when you come close to dying or actually die, it is always the first time for everyone to actually face it oneself, to really experience it.

Ill give both movies 10/10

• 2 weeks later...

Finally sat down to watch Heat (1995).

Man, what a cool movie...

Now I'm not a big movie guy - I rarely bother to watch em because most don't hold my attention *yawn*

But let me tell you... Heat is gr8 film. One of my favourites of all time now. 

So there you go.

And if you didn't already know, Heat was a big influence for GTA 5 and irl criminals (North Hollywood Shootout). 

So if you're a fan of crim films, GTA, action and violence then check it the heck out.

Pro:

Realistic shooting and tactics

Gr8 casting

Well-written screenplay, never boring

Cons: 

Unrealistic character logic at times

Guys and gals, a friendly reminder that just posting the title of the last film you watched is pointless. It's pointless to other readers and it's pointless to discussion because those posts will get swiftly removed. That includes only posting the posters. It doesn't tell us anything other than you've watched a film. So please, as it says in the big orange banner at the top "Post more than just the title."

Thank you

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 3

Lady And The Tramp (animated version)-rewatched it a few days ago,great Disney classic,one of my favorite animated movies.

Onward-just watched it today,the characters are likeable, the story is fun, and the premise of mythological creatures living in a society similar to a human western civilization is interesting,I liked the movie a lot.

Old Yeller-pretty good old school Disney live action movie,I liked the story and the characters (the younger son reminded me of myself when I was a kid,I'd also often catch lizards and bugs,bring them home for a few days as pets,and then release them back to the wild),though the ending is quite sad.

Fight Club-I've been planning to watch it for a few years,finally seen it a few days ago,good movie,I like it.

• Like 1
The Time Ranger

the-day-of-the-jackal.14498.jpg

The Day Of The Jackal (1973)

This is an excellent slow burn thriller starring Edward Fox as the eponymous Jackal, an assassin hired to kill the president of France, Charles de Gaulle.

Edward Fox plays the mysterious and debonair Jackal to perfection, there is an air of reined in savagery to him. A consumate professional, but don't cross him.

I have seen this movie about three times, and even now it still leaves me captivated, well paced with a strong cast, an elegant watch.

Arrows to Athens

Songbird (2020)

songbird-poster-social.jpg?fit=1100,654

Good God, this movie was awful. It was just pure cringe throughout and the plot makes NO sense at all. An obvious cash grab made out of the current pandemic. It's so far fetched and over-exaggerated, it's laughable. The romance aspect of the film was just cringeworthy. What's the point of this film?

Apparently, 0.1% of the population is somehow immune to the virus, which has now mutated into a much more deadly ''COVID-23''. Dear God. And the fact that Michael Bay of all people actually produced this embarrassment of a movie. 

• Like 1
  • YEE 2

Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

i think I posted this in here before, but I think it was removed.

But yeah, this movie was pretty messed up. But hey, if you are a fan of horror, you will really like this one.

6.jpg

Everest, 2015

Admittedly haven't been watching many films as of late. So, I wanted something a bit easy to watch.  I love watching documentaries about climbers and I'm fascinated by the act of one trying to conquer mountains like Everest given the high mortality rate. I think the film said one in four people have died trying to climb it. I think I get it. I get why people feel the urge to climb. The sense of achievement, the thrill, the sense of danger. It's high-stakes. 

The film itself had beautiful visuals of the mountain and surrounding areas. Acting was good, and the story didn't feel overly sentimental. It was really just a version of events, even if those events weren't 100% accurately portrayed, the end result was a tragic disaster regardless. 

One thing I did check as I watched this film was how accurate they were during the short scene where they take photos. I knew this had to be based on a real moment, so I wanted to check. 

Top image is the movie..

CdXw17cWIAAtLFy.jpg

The most noticeable exclusion from the real image is the colour red. I reckon this was done as usually if you singled out two people with red it could be a visual cue, a symbolic connection between the two people.  I think it was a deliberate move so as to not plant any unnecessary or even subconscious connection between the two. It could also just be to fit in line with art direction and colour grade. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Arrows to Athens

Wrong Turn (2021)

MV5BM2Y5ZWE2MTMtODE3ZC00NWQ4LWJkNzctNGY4

This movie wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, especially after looking at the reviews. One thing I was disappointed with, though, was the fact that there were no actual deformed cannibals in it like in the previous instalments. Instead, it focuses on an old, secluded community of people called 'The Foundation', who have inhabited the mountains for hundreds of years. And, of course, the people are normal looking humans, and are not horribly disfigured like in all the other films. The story follows a bunch of friends who decide to hike the Appalachian trail where they cross paths with the community. The ending was a big surprise, I'll just say that.

All in all, not bad, but also not anything to write home about. 

On 2/16/2021 at 1:01 AM, Arrows to Athens said:

Wrong Turn (2021)

MV5BM2Y5ZWE2MTMtODE3ZC00NWQ4LWJkNzctNGY4

This movie wasn't as bad I was expecting it to be, especially after looking at the reviews. One thing I was disappointed with, though, was the fact that there were no actual deformed cannibals in it like in the previous instalments. Instead, it focuses on an old, secluded community of people called 'The Foundation', who have inhabited the mountains for hundreds of years. And, of course, the people are normal looking humans, and are not horribly disfigured like in all the other films. The story follows a bunch of friends who decide to hike the Appalachian trail where they cross paths with the community. The ending was a big surprise, I'll just say that.

All in all, not bad, but also not anything to write home about. 

I was actually going to check this movie out but do I need to watch the others first? it sounds like it has elements of the ritual (2017)

• Like 1
On 11/28/2020 at 2:05 AM, Richard Power Colt said:

Reveal hidden contents

One of my favorites. What I find genius about the script is that how appropriate it is for a low budget B movie. A script like this would never work as effectively with millions of dollars of Hollywood budget, super professional lighting, sound and cinematography. The cheap look adds to the atmosphere, realism and grittiness. Gotta watch it again...

Edited by RenegadeAngel
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, WageWar said:

I was actually going to check this movie out but do I need to watch the others first? it sounds like it has elements of the ritual (2017)

It's a reboot of the franchise, no need to have seen all the others. Though they're fun flicks in areas if you do fancy a look at the previous lot, but the original is a lil' gem in its day.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lonely-Martin said:

It's a reboot of the franchise, no need to have seen all the others. Though they're fun flicks in areas if you do fancy a look at the previous lot, but the original is a lil' gem in its day.

That's good enough for me, I will definitely add them to my watchlist.

• Like 2
Arrows to Athens
5 hours ago, WageWar said:

Actually, you don't. Story wise, it hasn't got anything to do with the previous instalments. The antagonists aren't even the same. It's supposed to be a reboot. In fact, it could easily pass off as its own film without having 'Wrong Turn' in its title. The international title is 'Wrong Turn: The Foundation'. They should have just taken out 'Wrong Turn' and kept it as 'The Foundation', since that's the name of the community the film is based around. I would definitely check out the other films, though, especially the first one.

• Like 2

The Usual Suspects

I had already seen the second half many years ago so I knew Verbal was Keyser Soze. I didn’t remember that he used the notice board to fabricate his story so that was a welcome surprise. It reminded me of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood where it’s a great movie taken to the next level with the last scene. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

Actually, you don't. Story wise, it hasn't got anything to do with the previous instalments. The antagonists aren't even the same. It's supposed to be a reboot. In fact, it could easily pass off as its own film without having 'Wrong Turn' in its title. The international title is 'Wrong Turn: The Foundation'. They should have just taken out 'Wrong Turn' and kept it as 'The Foundation', since that's the name of the community the film is based around. I would definitely check out the other films, though, especially the first one.

I will definitely check out the others before watching wrong turn (2021)

Edited by WageWar
  • Like 1

malcolm-marie-00-22-43-17-r-1613586840.j

Malcom and Marie, Sam Levison, 2021

Good film and infuriating at the same time. I'm wrestling whether I like this film or not. On the one side, the idea is interesting and a bit different but the reality is that it's annoying to watch any couple bicker and ague for that long. It is a good thought-provoker, not so much in an academic way but in that it's divisive. 

Unfortunately some people feel that Levison's experience of Hollywood is written into the story and he got a black man "a black narrative told with a white guys frustrations." I don't buy into identity politics junk. If anything Levison was giving a voice to a black man because the leading man, plays a director that's frustrated by a white woman's review (even though it's positive) the expectation is that a black director must be doing film about identity and social justice, whereas a black director might just want to be having fun in his films? Why the expectation that a black director has a message. And so this film is kind of anti-identity-politics in a huge way but also it's not - as I think the mixed-race and black cast  and it being in black and white is re-writing the narrative - a throwback to golden-era Hollywood didn't have much black representation. 

Not a bad film but an exhausting one you'll only watch once. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2

Bildresultat för Friday (1995)I never watch movies but this is probably the latest one maybe 3 months ago

• Like 2

This thread isn't really concerned about what the last movie you've seen is. It's more concerned with what you thought of the last movie you seen. Otherwise, people just post the last movie seen which is absolutely useless to the everyone else. It's a bit like saying "I saw a red car yesterday." 

And with that, I'm going edit the thread title as people still miss this point, despite the big orange warning at the top.  :D 

9 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

This thread isn't really concerned about what the last movie you've seen is. It's more concerned with what you thought of the last movie you seen. Otherwise, people just post the last movie seen which is absolutely useless to the everyone else. It's a bit like saying "I saw a red car yesterday." 

And with that, I'm going edit the thread title as people still miss this point, despite the big orange warning at the top.  :D 

A good call. (Apologies in advance for the long post guys).

Though I've not watched too much of late (at least nothing more recent, some old stuff I'm sure many have seen/discussed aplenty, lol), I do enjoy reading others thoughts on films and seeing what hidden gems might pop up. Anyhoo...

I finally caught Midsommar last night, had been meaning to watch that one. The Director's cut which was near 3 hours mind you which is the version I wanted to see, but with lockdown and the kids not in school, it's been hard to squeeze a long flick in I felt could be unsuitable, but I digress.

Pretty good movie in many ways too. I've long ago seen The Wicker Man and this movie does tread a similar path I felt. But it's far more graphic and even quite disturbing with the way the movie's often unsettling atmosphere builds as the story goes on which I did like, you just never felt safe with where the film would go in the next scene. Love that in movies like this. 

The cinematography is fantastic too and a great turn from the lead actress, Florence Pugh, who played WWE's Paige in the movie Fighting With My Family which was another good turn, and fun movie. Enjoyed Midsommar though, and like Hereditary with the same director, it's a keeper in my collection indeed.

8/10, worth the wait. :)

• Like 1
Arrows to Athens

Victoria (2015)

MV5BMTc5NzQzNjk2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODU0

What a rollercoaster of a movie this was. The entire movie was shot in a single continuous take without any noticeable cuts. With a runtime of 134 minutes, that's extremely impressive. The movie felt very realistic and kept me at the edge of my seat. Since the whole thing was shot in one long take, there is no time jump in the movie whatsoever. You are with the characters all along. It's all shot in real time. It's very rare for me to feel tense while watching a movie, but this movie managed to do it. Everything was top notch, from the acting to the cinematography. The characters act so natural, you really feel like you are experiencing the night with them for real. No 3D, CGI, or any fancy stuff that movies do today can draw you into a film this much. We need more films like this. Mainstream action-packed, blockbuster popcorn flicks like Avengers and Black Panther just don't do anything for me. I've never been a fan of those kinds of movies. 

The plot is pretty simple. A Spanish runaway party girl is asked by three friendly men to join them as they hit the town in Berlin. However, their wild night of partying eventually turns into a bank robbery that goes awry. 

Fun fact: The film was shot in a single long take from about 4:30 AM to 7:00 AM on 27 April 2014 in the Kreuzberg and Mitte neighbourhoods. The script consisted of twelve pages, with most of the dialogue being improvised.

• Like 3