2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Thoughts On The Last Movie You've Seen

papanesta
Crokey
Message added by Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Pink

• Slamman

• makeshyft

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess... John Wick (2014)     If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the K

A classic. And a movie that they really should have never bothered remaking, because the Arnold one is amazing enough. Tons of memorable dialogue and one-liners, and pretty good action sequences, too.

The Irishman (2019)     Brilliant film. I'm still trying to digest it all. I think a second viewing in about a year's time will be nice. It's got all the hallmarks of a Scorsese fi

6599194_landscape.jpg

Zodiac, David Fincher, 2007. 

When I first saw this film back in 2007 or 2008, I wasn't too impressed. But what did I know? I didn't know anything about film back then. I had enjoyed the serial killer genre of films and probably was expecting another serial killer film. Instead I got something that was far more richer than your average serial killer flick. I got a David Fincher masterpiece that I wasn't quite ready for yet. So after watching Fincher's amazing Mindhunter on Netflix, I decided to give Zodiac another try. This time, I'm more familiar with his work and have more experience of film. And what can I say? It's brilliant. And you can see a lot of similarities between this and Mindhunter. It's that period, drama-mystery-suspense based on true events/people. 

James Vanderbilt adapted the screenplay from the book, Zodiac. So it's well-researched and plenty of detail included.

For me the colour-grading/art-direction is reminiscent of Mindhunter. There are lots of yellows, browns and greys and blues. It's beautifully shot. The cinematography by Harris Savides is just gorgeous. Also, how they created San Francisco in the 60's/70's is amazing. 

All star cast; Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruggalo, Rober Downey Jr, Brian Cox, Chloe Sevigny and more. 

22%20(1349).jpg?bwg=1547482717

06%20(1322).jpg?bwg=1547482718

07%20(1322).jpg?bwg=1547482718

18%20(1349).jpg?bwg=1547482718

This isn't a serial killer movie. Yes, there is some gruesome serial killer scenes but it's really a detective film. It's about mystery. It's about trying to solve the case of the Zodiac killer. When you know this going into it, I find it more enjoyable. And spoiler alert... 

The case was never solved. It's a still a mystery but fascinating case nonetheless.

Edited by Mister Pink
On 9/13/2020 at 3:48 AM, Mister Pink said:

6599194_landscape.jpg

Zodiac, David Fincher, 2007. 

When I first saw this film back in 2007 or 2008, I wasn't too impressed. But what did I know? I didn't know anything about film back then. I had enjoyed the serial killer genre of films and probably was expecting another serial killer film. Instead I got something that was far more richer than your average serial killer flick. I got a David Fincher masterpiece that I wasn't quite ready for yet. So after watching Fincher's amazing Mindhunter on Netflix, I decided to give Zodiac another try. This time, I'm more familiar with his work and have more experience of film. And what can I say? It's brilliant. And you can see a lot of similarities between this and Mindhunter. It's that period, drama-mystery-suspense based on true events/people. 

James Vanderbilt adapted the screenplay from the book, Zodiac. So it's well-researched and plenty of detail included.

For me the colour-grading/art-direction is reminiscent of Mindhunter. There are lots of yellows, browns and greys and blues. It's beautifully shot. The cinematography by Harris Savides is just gorgeous. Also, how they created San Francisco in the 60's/70's is amazing. 

All star cast; Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruggalo, Rober Downey Jr, Brian Cox, Chloe Sevigny and more. 

22%20(1349).jpg?bwg=1547482717

06%20(1322).jpg?bwg=1547482718

07%20(1322).jpg?bwg=1547482718

18%20(1349).jpg?bwg=1547482718

This isn't a serial killer movie. Yes, there is some gruesome serial killer scenes but it's really a detective film. It's about mystery. It's about trying to solve the case of the Zodiac killer. When you know this going into it, I find it more enjoyable. And spoiler alert... 

Reveal hidden contents

The case was never solved. It's a still a mystery but fascinating case nonetheless.

All in One MCU star cast !

• Like 2
On 9/7/2020 at 12:08 AM, Lonely-Martin said:

Halloween 2018. ;)

Couldn't help that one, but I get ya. I'm looking forward to this new Bill and Ted flick myself. :)

And Terminator 2 and Dead Snow 2. Quite a few sequels have been on par with the original, actually. 

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Arrows to Athens said:

And Terminator 2 and Dead Snow 2. Quite a few sequels have been on par with the original, actually. 

Yeah. Loved Mad Max Fury Road as another. Sometimes a good break is all that's needed. :)

• Like 2

John Wick 2 as well actually. :D 

• Like 2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5Yc-pUr0uTRbXBsBq1Lh

Pi (1998)

Darren Aronofsky's debut. It's like a 90s Eraserhead or Tetsuo about a paranoid schizophrenic math savant with a migrane problem who tries to crack a string of numbers that could potentially answer questions about the universe.

Really tense film, a lot of techniques used in this were carried on to later Aronofsky films, and if you like 90s IDM Warp Records type stuff, this film is great.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1
On 9/21/2020 at 12:14 AM, Arrows to Athens said:

On 9/21/2020 at 1:02 AM, Lonely-Martin said:

Yeah. Loved Mad Max Fury Road as another. Sometimes a good break is all that's needed. :)

On 9/21/2020 at 10:49 PM, Mister Pink said:

John Wick 2 as well actually. :D 

Guys, I was talking belated sequels! I meant ones where there has been a significant  gap between the original and the follow up. I'll concede on Halloween, I've not seen either the original or the recent one, but have heard very good things.

I have seen Fury Road though, and that is one jacked up, adrenaline fuelled music video that i think surpasses the original.

Sequels often have potential to rise up and be better than the original. It allows you the opportunity to identify what really worked in the original work, maybe find the flaws too, and build on those foundations to produce something even better.  Doing so two decades later, with very few of the original creators and in a vastly different film landscape, very rarely succeeds though.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Brobinski said:

Guys, I was talking belated sequels! I meant ones where there has been a significant  gap between the original and the follow up. I'll concede on Halloween, I've not seen either the original or the recent one, but have heard very good things.

I have seen Fury Road though, and that is one jacked up, adrenaline fuelled music video that i think surpasses the original.

Sequels often have potential to rise up and be better than the original. It allows you the opportunity to identify what really worked in the original work, maybe find the flaws too, and build on those foundations to produce something even better.  Doing so two decades later, with very few of the original creators and in a vastly different film landscape, very rarely succeeds though.

Bad Boys For Life another.

Halloween I feel is an absolute classic and never too late to indulge in that one. 40 years old now too! As a big slasher movie fan, I enjoy plenty from the older sequels though can understand many criticisms of those, the early 80's particularly was awash with slasher movies after Halloween laid out a classic blueprint (which for me offered many good thrills). But the 2018 one saw the franchise really step up and return to fine form. No surprise with John Carpenter returning to help out.

I agree regarding Mad Max Fury Road though. A really good film and definitely better than the original, though The Road Warrior is still a really enjoyable watch after these years. :)

4 hours ago, Brobinski said:

Well, it depends on what you mean by "significant". Halloween II came out in 1981 three years after the original and was considered a very good sequel, but I wouldn't consider it to be on par with the original, though some may. The most recent sequel Halloween (2018) ignores all the other sequels and instead acts as an alternate part 2.

Many consider it to be the best sequel in the series, though I disagree. While it was a good sequel and good return to form, I would not consider it to be on par with the original. Most certainly wouldn't. In fact, I think I prefer I the 1981 sequel over the 2018 one, but to each their own.

"I've not seen either the original"

Excuse me?

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Arrows to Athens said:

Well, it depends on what you mean by "significant". Halloween II came out in 1981 three years after the original and was considered a very good sequel, but I wouldn't consider it to be on par with the original, though some may. The most recent sequel Halloween (2018) ignores all the other sequels and instead acts as an alternate part 2.

Many consider it to be the best sequel in the series, though I disagree. While it was a good sequel and good return to form, I would not consider it to be on par with the original. Most certainly wouldn't. In fact, I think I prefer I the 1981 sequel over the 2018 one, but to each their own.

By "significant" I'm talking multiple decades, so Halloween 2018 is a great example. I'd struggle to put a number on it in years, but I'd say I'm talking about releasing a new film in a different era. the examples I originally brought up were the new Bill & Ted (29 years since the most recent entry) and Blade Runner 2049 (35 years since the original). The point I'm really getting at is about the challenge that you face when reviving something after so much time and providing something that simultaneously feels familiar, takes it to new places and appeals to a modern audience. 

For every Blade Runner or Halloween you have, you get many Ghostbusters, Men in Black Internationals, Evil Deads and Hellboys.

"I've not seen either the original"

Excuse me?

Slasher stuff's never really appealed to me, it's just personal taste.

11 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

I too really enjoyed the original sequel as well. Felt at the time like a more natural follow up with the story expanding a little (regarding the family link - Which I do feel got too much criticism), the cast largely returning, and the setting in the hospital added a natural spooky element too. The kills went up a level which can be divisive, but at the time there was far more gruesome stuff out that they still weren't too strong, just a bit more than the original, lol.

But I more put the original movie's less gruesome kills down to budget and the time it came out, it was an unproven formula at the time and Halloween was a risk. Of course time has proven it to have been a gamble that paid off well, and once it became known these movies could be hits/money makers, the investment and faith in their success naturally grew. I feel considering other franchises like Friday the 13th for example, Halloween II was still much less gory for the sake of it compared, you know? Could have been far worse as at the time with slashers, things were getting more and more gruesome to try and outdo any competition.

11 hours ago, Brobinski said:

For every Blade Runner or Halloween you have, you get many Ghostbusters, Men in Black Internationals, Evil Deads and Hellboys.

Evil Dead is one of my favourite modern follow ups too, lol. I love that flick. I can agree it didn't have the comedic element like old and went more for straight up horror, but I found it to be bloody awesome.

It is a gory flick though which can put many off, but the franchise started by being so strong on that area and found the new one to be a bit of a return to form on that aspect, though Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are groovy fun too, just not as strong on the gore that really pulled me in on the original.

Loved Ash vs Evil Dead too, which is just a hoot. One of my all time favourite franchises that just hasn't disapointed me yet.

---------

I'd like to add both Tron Legacy and Jurassic World to the good belated sequels discussion.

But to go to TV land a little, I felt the Deadwood Movie was a really good addition to that series. Fans had wanted closure for years on Deadwood after it was abruptly cancelled and felt that movie really held up well while offering fans what they wanted. My only criticism was a couple of missing characters but unfortunately that couldn't be helped as they'd died before the movie was made. But it didn't spoil things for me too much. Just enjoyed those characters is all. 

• Like 2

FRACTURED (2019)

MV5BZTE0MWE4NzMtMzc4Ny00NWE4LTg2OTQtZmIy

My best friend recommended me this movie to watch, I really savored it. I relished Sam Worthington's phenomenal acting in this movie and the movie overall was very mystifying and encountered many peculiar phenomenons, I loved the special effects used in the movie and the natural plot twist that blew my mind at the end. The director Brad Anderson is fairly popularized and is known for a similar movie called the machinist (2004) which I plan to watch.

Synopsis: After his wife and injured daughter disappear from the emergency room, a man becomes convinced the hospital is hiding something.

IMBD gave the movie a rating of 6.4/10 but I give it an individualized rating of 7/10.

I would definitely watch it again!

• Like 2

Enola Holmes. Really cute movie, I enjoyed it a lot. Plus, Millie Bobby Brown is a super talented actress and wish her nothing but the best in her career

Tenet. 

A 37 hour snooze fest. While it did have a couple of ridiculously good scenes (the plane and the four trucks), it was another Nolan mind f*ck. If I watch a movie, I like to know what’s happening and what did happen once the credits roll. Maybe ponder a couple of things. I left Tenet wondering what the hell I even watched. To me, he relies on confusing the hell out of the viewers to hide that his movies are just well, average. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

CURVE (2015)

54B39628-CD3F-4114-A4BD-E0CAB2FCF984.jpe

I watched this movie and I found it to be mediocre, it is falsely advertised as a american horror-thriller but its more survival-thriller and it was directed by lain Softley and produced by Jason Blum, The director is not highly popularized in regards to filmography and is only known for 8 movies however The producer Jason Blum is highly known for movies like Halloween (2018),Paranormal activity (2007-2015), Sinister (2012) etc.

The movie had a micro bit of resemblance to I spit on your grave (2010) towards the end of the movie and also had some explicit commentary throughout certain aspects of the movie which I did not anticipate at all.  The special effects were phenomenal in the film and the twist ending was very astonishing. There was great acting and very spectacular cinematography. The movie was not actually manifested in theaters but made its world premiere on a channel called Film 4 fright fest, the budget for the movie is unknown but viewers and critics described it being as high as a 200 million dollar budget film.

I subjectively liked the film but there was some points which made me question the moral storyline of the film therefore it having a mediocre storyline. I wanted to mention again that I was very content with the twisted ending paying a tiny bit of homage to I spit on your grave (2010) as that is one of my savored revenge horror movies of all time.

Synopsis: When Mallory meets with an accident, a hitchhiker fixes her car in exchange for a ride to the nearest town. He, however, has sinister motives.

IMDB gave the movie a rating of 5.5/10 but I give it an individualized rating of 5/10 as I do not like or dislike the film but I just have mixed feelings in regards to the storyline.

• Like 2

Unicorn Store

I relate too much to this story.  It was directed by and starring Brie Larson, as an  childish artist who fails art school and gets a boring office job.  She then gets a mysterious invitation to a store that sells “what you need”.  Upon arriving at the store she meets the salesman (played by Samuel L Jackson) who tells her he sells unicorns that will love her unconditionally, and the only price she needs to pay is proving she is worthy of the unicorn by being able to take care of it, and being at peace in her life.  She enlists a hardware store worker (Mamoudou Athie) to build a stable and prepare her home for the unicorn.  

I really relate to her character.  Not knowing what you need, not being able to grow up but not sell out to adulthood.  Craving something (or someone) to love me as much as I know I can love something (or someone).

I won’t spoil it, but I enjoyed the movie.  It ends in a unpredictably predictable way, and Brie Larson is mesmerizing and adorably funny.  The cast all around is great including Bradley Whitford and Joan Cusack.  If you’re looking for something not too heavy, but also emotionally engaging, I suggest it.

• Like 3

Pain-and-Gain-2013-movie-poster.jpg

I feel that despite being a Michael Bay movie and having a cast of heavy hitters like Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson, this went relatively under the radar, and that's a pity as it's a very solid movie.

Based on the true story of three bodybuilders in Miami in the mid 1990's who formulate an extortion plot. It's a dark tale of greed, excess, and dumbell curls, the American Dream done dirty. It's darkly humorus and the lows and "bright" ideas they sink to will leave you shaking your head, but yet unable to look away. 

This is probably the only Michael Bay movie i've seen that actually left an impression on me, both the mans movies and personality don't particularly appeal to me, but this is more nuanced, feels almost like a passion project, with a relatively smaller budget and feeling more focused. 

This clip as they look for equipment to subdue their target gives you a little taste.

• Like 2

Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm

When the first movie came out, I was a different person.  Far more conservative.  I was angry at Borat for pointing out my country’s flaws.  As I’ve grown older, I have changed.  I recognize I have different ideals.  I remember feeling differently about things like the war in Iraq, gun control, racism (I was in denial of the racism in this country and didn’t want to see how that denial was contributing to that systematic racism).  After recently rewatching the first film, I was able to see the light it shined on the sh*tty people here.

I think the second movie doesn’t quite hit the same way, but because we live in this f*cked up time where people are so divided, politics are as volatile as ever, opinions are strong and unmoving, it doesn’t really shine a light as much as highlights an already underlined statement.

The actress playing his daughter, Tutar, really redeemed the movie as she was funny and charming, and was able to stay in character while giving Rudy Giuliani blue balls.  The story between Borat and his daughter makes the movie, and if you buy into the Borat lore enough, it’s actually sweet.

Overall, I wish Cohen would’ve just created another character, and tackled this f*cked up country and f*cked up time with the same ambush comedy he had with the first movie, but couldn’t because Borat is now so recognizable.  There are a few good laughs, and a few of those classic peaking between your fingers cringeworthy moments, but it just doesn’t get to the heights of the first film.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, darthYENIK said:

Same here! I also agree with your post entirely.

Before Borat, I watched a movie called "Searching" on Netflix. I hadn't even heard of it before watching so my expectations were zero. It was fantastic! Definitely recommend. 

I have seen the format used before, where a movie is entirely presented over Laptops/facetime/iMessage/CCTV. ETC. They were horrors though (unfriended - should check that out too) So it was refreshing having a thriller style movie done this way.

It got me questioning why more movies aren't made in that fashion. Then I learned this movie took only 2 weeks to film, and 2 years to edit and animate. I guess that isn't really a fun project for most directors. 

• Like 2
On 10/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, darthYENIK said:

When the first movie came out, I was a different person.  Far more conservative.  I was angry at Borat for pointing out my country’s flaws.  As I’ve grown older, I have changed.  I recognize I have different ideals.  I remember feeling differently about things like the war in Iraq, gun control, racism (I was in denial of the racism in this country and didn’t want to see how that denial was contributing to that systematic racism).  After recently rewatching the first film, I was able to see the light it shined on the sh*tty people here.

I think the second movie doesn’t quite hit the same way, but because we live in this f*cked up time where people are so divided, politics are as volatile as ever, opinions are strong and unmoving, it doesn’t really shine a light as much as highlights an already underlined statement.

The actress playing his daughter, Tutar, really redeemed the movie as she was funny and charming, and was able to stay in character while giving Rudy Giuliani blue balls.  The story between Borat and his daughter makes the movie, and if you buy into the Borat lore enough, it’s actually sweet.

Overall, I wish Cohen would’ve just created another character, and tackled this f*cked up country and f*cked up time with the same ambush comedy he had with the first movie, but couldn’t because Borat is now so recognizable.  There are a few good laughs, and a few of those classic peaking between your fingers cringeworthy moments, but it just doesn’t get to the heights of the first film.

Watched it last night. I'm not big on comedy in general, but some comedy movies give me a good laugh, like Dumb & Dumber. The new Borat film definitely gave me several laughs. It was interesting to see events unfold in recent times with corona, Trump, etc. I really need to check out the 2006 film.

• Like 3

Watched The Crow again yesterday,awesome movie with a really good soundtrack.I'm thinking about checking out The Crow Stairway To Heaven TV show again if I can find it,haven't seen that since I was a kid.

Crow_ver2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Come Play (2020)

35a16ea4478ead59ee48c76142a85d86.jpg

I really enjoyed this one. It's about a young autistic boy who is pursued by a humanoid creature from another dimension named 'Larry', and the parents must fight to save their son. Great performances, good cinematography, and very good special effects, one that don't rely on CGI. The ending hit me as well. Beautiful score to top it all off. I definitely recommend this one. 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

The Blues Brothers

I'm not into musicals, but I can’t get enough of this movie.  Not only is it funny, but it has the three greatest soul singers of all time performing in it, in James Brown, Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles.  Even has John Lee Hooker to boot.

• Like 2

The Hateful Eight by Quentin Tarantino

Probably the movie with Tarantino'a most messed up characters of those I've seen from him, nearly everyone was a sunavabich, I couldn't root for anybody. But it was amazing how the movie almost took place entirely in a single setting ie the lodge but was still so damn compelling, I was hooked at what was going to happen next. Some of the scenes were really graphic which is expected given it's Tarantino but sh*t I shouldn't have seen it before bed. I really felt for Daisy even though I guess I was supposed to root against her but man it was hard to root for anybody. Only character I guess I liked was Tim Roth's and that's cause Roth is the man

Great movie with messed up characters

Edited by Utopianthumbs
Added last sentence
  • Like 5

Wild at Heart (1990) by David Lynch.

If you have had any experience with Lynch movies before, you know how challenging it is to even describe what the damn thing is about. This one is the "Bonnie and Clyde" type road movie with all the elements Lynch can't live without; bizzare, visibly off-putting surreal scenes, perverse violence mixed with genuine lighthearted bits of comedy and romance – it's all there. There's one character played by Willem Dafoe that made the whole movie for me. One of the most bizzare and f*cked up dudes I've seen in a long time. One look at him would be enough to understand what I mean.

cELcP5W.jpg

• Like 4

My PS5 just lost its 4K virginity to the 4K version of The Big Lebowski.😀😀😀

• Like 1

51pLNnbThwL._AC_.jpg

Rewatched this after a long time. And I'd say that it's a timeless classic. Idiocracy single-handedly proves that Mike Judge is a prolific comedy writer of our times: Intelligence being disregarded in return of dumb-sh*t people to be the dominant species. Well, even the AI (who is supposed to come out as smarter, in the general modern science fiction) is useless and stupid. I've realized that I still truly love this movie and consider it a spot-on for the points made. The problem in Idiocracy has become deeper and harshfully truer in time. However, I also think that, though edgy, Idiocracy somehow comes off short in visualizing a desperate, problematic future by today's standards. Besides becoming dumber, the society as a whole has begun to be fatally hateful. Topped up with blissful ignorance, embraced stupidity and "virtued" hate - the present, IMO, is prone to transform into a more depressing, toxic future compared to the dystopia depicted in Idiocracy. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Naughtius Maximus said:

51pLNnbThwL._AC_.jpg

Rewatched this after a long time. And I'd say that it's a timeless classic. Idiocracy single-handedly proves that Mike Judge is a prolific comedy writer of our times: Intelligence being disregarded in return of dumb-sh*t people to be the dominant species. Well, even the AI (who is supposed to come out as smarter, in the general modern science fiction) is useless and stupid. I've realized that I still truly love this movie and consider it a spot-on for the points made. The problem in Idiocracy has become deeper and harshfully truer in time. However, I also think that, though edgy, Idiocracy somehow comes off short in visualizing a desperate, problematic future by today's standards. Besides becoming dumber, the society as a whole has begun to be fatally hateful. Topped up with blissful ignorance, embraced stupidity and "virtued" hate - the present, IMO, is prone to transform into a more depressing, toxic future compared to the dystopia depicted in Idiocracy. 

This movie is gold lol. Underrated cult classic.

Personally this is my favourite scene.

If only all doctors were as laid back as this dude.:D

• Like 4