2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Thoughts On The Last Movie You've Seen

papanesta
Crokey
Message added by Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Pink

• Slamman

• makeshyft

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess... John Wick (2014)     If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the K

Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm   When the first movie came out, I was a different person.  Far more conservative.  I was angry at Borat for pointing out my country’s flaws.  As I’ve grown older

Face/Off, starring Nicolas Cage and John Travolta. Really over-the-top and "out-there" action movie with a very weird premise that's the very definition of "suspension of belief" and "what's the point

On 6/26/2020 at 2:52 AM, DownInTheHole said:

This film is great if you want to get into the Yakuza genre of films, and if you like the Hiroshima-ben, a dialect used in the film that roll their Rs stronger than South Africans, and I honestly can't recommend it enough.

I've been in search of some Yakuza film I'm not sure exists. I loved the flamboyant caricature of Yakuza depicted in Ichi The Killer. 

ichi01a.jpg

I'm not interested to see supernatural or something like Yakuza Apocalypse but something that scratches my itch to see a Yakuza like the Takashi Miike's depiction of them in Ichi The Killer. Maybe with the dark humour but with the nod to more western style storytelling like Scorsese's Goodfellas. Is that too much to ask? :D 

Battles Without Honour and Humanity looks very appealing. The last Yakuza film I watched was Sonatine which is considered a Yakuza film classic. While I like arthouse films, especially when married to genres that aren't classically arthouse, it wasn't what I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Sonatine and couldn't stop watching it but I'm craving something bigger, something more violent and something a little flamboyant. Not cheesy though. It's hard to explain. 

Last film I watched was completely unplanned. I put it on just to see the start but ended up watching the whole thing.

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. 

This film has it's issues. I can see why a reviewer might give it a bad review. Unless you are into the culture, the book, Hunter S. Thompson, Gonzo, you might just think this film is a bit of a headache. However, if you enjoy

psychedelic adventures, and a sort of shallow critique/exploration of the American dream filtered through a plethora of psychedelic drugs, this is film is for you. There are so many quotable moments. It's a little indulgent in itself but so are drug-binges. They are very self-indulgent. I just love the visuals in this film. It's shot beautifully. All the colours, the locations, and sets. It's just aesthetically pleasing to me. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2

I See You (2019)

MV5BNzVkOWM5YTEtMDdkNi00YjMzLWEzNWEtODEw

This was a very good movie. It surprises you quite a bit and has an interesting plot with a cool plot twist. Something original for once.

• Like 2
On 6/28/2020 at 12:39 AM, Mister Pink said:

Last film I watched was completely unplanned. I put it on just to see the start but ended up watching the whole thing.

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. 

This film has it's issues. I can see why a reviewer might give it a bad review. Unless you are into the culture, the book, Hunter S. Thompson, Gonzo, you might just think this film is a bit of a headache. However, if you enjoy

psychedelic adventures, and a sort of shallow critique/exploration of the American dream filtered through a plethora of psychedelic drugs, this is film is for you. There are so many quotable moments. It's a little indulgent in itself but so are drug-binges. They are very self-indulgent. I just love the visuals in this film. It's shot beautifully. All the colours, the locations, and sets. It's just aesthetically pleasing to me. 

That's the next movie on my to buy list from Arrow's limited editions, lol. All I really remember was Johnny Depp saying 'f*cking bats' from when I last watched it years ago now. Well, aside from it being a bit confusing and crazy, but I was too young and very inexperienced to have grasped that movie back then. Quite looking forward to rewatching it though as both Depp and Del Toro can really entertain me when on good form. 

Not so much into Asian cinema though, but do remember watching Ichi the Killer a long time ago too, another I forgot mostly what it's about but remember it being one of those taboo gory flicks I had to have a look at. Might rewatch it one day though now I have a better understanding of themes and such as a more adult viewer.

---------------------

I did watch the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot the other night as it popped up on sky premier. A good laugh but more only for fans of Kevin Smith's universe though. Immature stuff really and lots of weed jokes and swearing, as expected. I enjoyed it plenty. 7/10.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

That's the next movie on my to buy list from Arrow's limited editions, lol. All I really remember was Johnny Depp saying 'f*cking bats' from when I last watched it years ago now. Well, aside from it being a bit confusing and crazy, but I was too young and very inexperienced to have grasped that movie back then. Quite looking forward to rewatching it though as both Depp and Del Toro can really entertain me when on good form. 

Ah.. nice! What I would highly recommend is checking some of the discount shops that sell DVDs. I've actually found a copy of this film sealed and unopened and I got for €2! 

Not so much into Asian cinema though, but do remember watching Ichi the Killer a long time ago too, another I forgot mostly what it's about but remember it being one of those taboo gory flicks I had to have a look at. Might rewatch it one day though now I have a better understanding of themes and such as a more adult viewer.

Yeah man, thats another film that seemed a little confusing and was confusing. I noticed other reviewers said the same thing. But I've watched it about 5 or 6 times. It gets better with repeated viewings.

But basically for me, I took it as this guy is brainwashing Ichi (which means "one" in Japanese) to wipe out some Yakuza. The Yakuza boss is kidnapped and Kakihara (the blonde guy with the scars, also the enforcer) is a masochist. The only guy that guy that could kind of satisfy Kakihara's masochistic needs were his kidnapped boss.  So now he must find the boss. Not just because he's the boss but because Kakihara needs him. But as Kakihara learns more about Ichi and how f*cked up a killer Ichi is, Kakihara really wants to meet him because he sounds dangerous, more than his boss. And him being the masochist he is, Ichi sounds like the type of person he wants to meet. 

So it's kind of genius in this warped way. He's looking for his boss because he has needs but the guy that he suspects that kidnapped him is so f*cked up, he wants to meet him because he himself is a masochist. I can't for the life of me remember why the other guy is brainwashing Itchi to be such a killer. 

I did watch the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot the other night as it popped up on sky premier. A good laugh but more only for fans of Kevin Smith's universe though. Immature stuff really and lots of weed jokes and swearing, as expected. I enjoyed it plenty. 7/10.

I couldn't really love Jay and Silent Bob. But I do like Kevin Smith as a person and I wanted to see this film. Was thinking of watching all the old ones. It's good Sunday hungover fare. 

I also watched First Reformed.  It's written and directed by Paul Shrader who also wrote Taxi Driver. It shares many of Taxi Driver's themes. It's a good watch of a man as life gets on top of him and how good people can have their perspective warped and think they are doing good things but those good things are harmful. Stars Ethan Hawke. 

It's a character study like Taxi Driver, so for those not used to that kind of film, it may seem slow. And the story unravels the more we watch. It just reveals little bits and then.. 

screen-shot-2018-03-28-at-4-06-51-pm.png

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

Ah.. nice! What I would highly recommend is checking some of the discount shops that sell DVDs. I've actually found a copy of this film sealed and unopened and I got for €2! 

I have the DVD, and absolutely love the second hand shops or charity shops where I've bought so many movies over the years, lol. Just want that collector's edition as I'm beefing up my blu ray collection more and more too. :)

I may end up watching it before my S.E. gets here though, just depends on when I next get the TV. 🤣

I'll have to rewatch Ichi too one day. My daughter loves Asian cinema and always talks positive about much (Not this one yet luckily though, ha ha), so should try again to expand my horizons.

12 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

I couldn't really love Jay and Silent Bob. But I do like Kevin Smith as a person and I wanted to see this film. Was thinking of watching all the old ones. It's good Sunday hungover fare. 

Yeah, absolutely. Perfect easy chillout movies. Dogma was so funny and like you, rewatching the older stuff is on the list too. I think I missed Chasing Amy but Clerks was gold. :)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I have the DVD, and absolutely love the second hand shops or charity shops where I've bought so many movies over the years, lol. Just want that collector's edition as I'm beefing up my blu ray collection more and more too. :)

Oooh! Very nice. I own zero Blu-Ray and never have! But I should get some. 

2 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

My daughter loves Asian cinema and always talks positive about much (Not this one yet luckily though, ha ha), so should try again to expand my horizons.

Yeah, start getting worried if she mentions Visitor Q. 😛 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

Oooh! Very nice. I own zero Blu-Ray and never have! But I should get some. 

Yeah, start getting worried if she mentions Visitor Q. 😛 

Lol, yeah. Or August Underground. Some messed up cat III stuff out there. 🤣

Must add, I do love how digital media is as we've got so much access to an awful lot of TV/film. But I've long been a fan of physical too. Still got a few VHS of some flicks but thousands of DVD's and a few hundred blu rays now. I often quite enjoy the documentaries and other behind the scenes stuff.

Currently going through the 30th anniversary box of Back to the Future right now, lol. Lil' man loves those classics as well as I and it's stacked with other features. Good times! :)

Edited by Lonely-Martin
  • Like 1
On 6/30/2020 at 5:55 PM, Lonely-Martin said:

I've never actually seen their own movies, but I really enjoyed their characters from Clerks 1 & especially 2, both of which I watched 2 weeks ago. Clerks 1 I never got around to watching until recently simply because of the fact that it's in black and white. Clerks 2 I've seen quite a few times already and decided to re-watch it, since I hadn't seen it in a pretty long time. Fantastic movie. 

The first one was not bad, but I found the sequel to be a lot better. I heard Clerks 3 is in the works. I cannot wait. 

Edited by Arrows to Athens
  • Like 2

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga. Before going into it I was like "this is probably gonna be super over the top and cheesy" but the exact opposite turned out to be the case. I had a lot of fun watching this movie, with some genuinely good songs, some nice Eurovision cameos, a great cast and also really enjoyable writing. Especially Rachel McAdams' character was just super adorable and instantly loveable. One of those movies that instantly cheers you up. Solid 8.5 / 10 for me. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

National Lampoon's Vacation-great 80s comedy,I loved watching it (and the sequels) when I was younger and I still love it.

Avengers Infinity War-this was I think the third time I watched this movie,great movie.

Stand By Me-this is the only movie I watched recently that I never watched before.I was kinda surprised how much the kid characters were swearing and even smoked cigarettes in one scene,you can't see that in modern kids movies.I liked the movie.

Brat (Brother)-Russian movie about a former soldier Danila who is from a small village,and goes to St. Petersburg to visits his brother Viktor after their mother tells him that Viktor is successful and rich,but it turns out that Viktor is actually a hitman for the Russian mob,and soon he gets Danila to also become a hitman.Really good movie,which probably had a lot of influence on the early parts of GTA 4 story (Niko's mother telling him that cousin Roman is rich and successful in LC,but he's actually involved with LC criminal underworld and in debt to loan sharks,and because of him Niko gets involved in the underworld too).

• Like 1
8 hours ago, GTA-Biker said:

Stand By Me-this is the only movie I watched recently that I never watched before.I was kinda surprised how much the kid characters were swearing and even smoked cigarettes in one scene,you can't see that in modern kids movies.I liked the movie.

Stand By Me is a coming-of-age classic. It still holds up. It was one of those films I used to love when it came on TV when I was a kid. 

• Like 2
DJ-Jelly-Doughnut

Knives Out. Very clever movie. Reminds me of the old murder mysteries I used to read. I love the whodunnit types though. 

13 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

Stand By Me is a coming-of-age classic. It still holds up. It was one of those films I used to love when it came on TV when I was a kid. 

Yeah,it's a really good movie.I think I'd also love it as a kid if I saw back then,I'm even kinda surprised I didn't see it before,seeing as I grew up watching a lot of 80s movies.

• Like 2

I keep forgetting to add Stand by Me to my list of to-see movies, I love coming of age movies and especially ones from the 80s.

The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking 1988 - 8.2/10

Why am I giving this a good rating? Despite having acting from a 4th grade play, it adds to the charm and the bright, sunny conditions with nice variety of
atmospheric environments makes for a smiler. As soon as I saw this one come my way I knew I was going to love it. Its a late 80s kids movie, good enough. The premise is sound, the setting reminds me of Welcome to Pleasantville and Edward Sissorhands, and the ideas are rounded. This thing is making a full grown man laugh. That part with the flying machine and then Pippi just spinning to make the craft take flight...so stupid I was rolling. Who comes up with this?

Naughtius Maximus

215px-Clerks_movie_poster;_Just_because_

Just rewatched this Kevin Smith classic about a week ago. I'm more of a Mallrats guy, but honestly rewatching it has never gone that smooth as rewatching Clerks. Why was watching Clerks again worth it? It made me appreciate Kevin Smith's unique style in its purest form. Superficially, Clerks is a normal, redundant movie. You don't get to witness all the crazy sh*t on the screen, but the craziness is either behind the scenes or between the lines (like Caitlin bonking a dead old guy, or Dante and Randal flipping Julie's coffin). Yet, Dante and Randal's commentary on all those things makes the movie bizzare enough.

Paying more attention to the lines increased my love for the movie, because I couldn't follow the conversations that good when I watched Clerks for the first time. Even if I don't like Star Wars that much, I found Dante and Randal's chat about the Death Star construction funny as hell.

And in "Clerks", Jay and Silent Bob are at their best because I always enjoyed them more in minor roles. I mean, they're better for quick-hit scenes (like the "Olaf" scene or "Silent Bob's advice on women" scene). In heavy doses, they feel like cheap comic reliefs (even though I like "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", that's my humble opinion).

Yeah, and I like this misanthropic, childish Dante better than the mellowed, "voice of reason" Dante in Clerks II. I understand that it's logical for Dante to grow up, but rewatching Clerks made me realize that Dante's character has lost complexity in Clerks II.

As the final word, I've always liked this movie's soundtrack.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Rebel Yell said:

215px-Clerks_movie_poster;_Just_because_

Just rewatched this Kevin Smith classic about a week ago. I'm more of a Mallrats guy, but honestly rewatching it has never gone that smooth as rewatching Clerks. Why was watching Clerks again worth it? It made me appreciate Kevin Smith's unique style in its purest form. Superficially, Clerks is a normal, redundant movie. You don't get to witness all the crazy sh*t on the screen, but the craziness is either behind the scenes or between the lines (like Caitlin bonking a dead old guy, or Dante and Randal flipping Julie's coffin). Yet, Dante and Randal's commentary on all those things makes the movie bizzare enough.

Paying more attention to the lines increased my love for the movie, because I couldn't follow the conversations that good when I watched Clerks for the first time. Even if I don't like Star Wars that much, I found Dante and Randal's chat about the Death Star construction funny as hell.

And in "Clerks", Jay and Silent Bob are at their best because I always enjoyed them more in minor roles. I mean, they're better for quick-hit scenes (like the "Olaf" scene or "Silent Bob's advice on women" scene). In heavy doses, they feel like cheap comic reliefs (even though I like "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", that's my humble opinion).

Yeah, and I like this misanthropic, childish Dante better than the mellowed, "voice of reason" Dante in Clerks II. I understand that it's logical for Dante to grow up, but rewatching Clerks made me realize that Dante's character has lost complexity in Clerks II.

As the final word, I've always liked this movie's soundtrack.

Clerks III is in the works. Can't wait! The gaps between each movie is crazy.

• Like 1

Jay And Silent Bob Reboot-pretty fun movie,lots of funny scenes and lots of references to Kevin Smith's older movies,I'm thinking about watching the original again,Clerks too

Brick Mansions-watched it already once a few years ago,decent action movie

National Lampoon's European Vacation-seen it again after a fairly long time,another great movie in the series,lots of fun scenes

• Like 1

I watched 2 films last night. 

Insidious (2010)

Enjoyable film. I was on the lookout for a creepy horror type film and it hit the spot. Some cliches, in the film but overall enjoyable. It's the type of film you can watch once and never need to watch it again. 

Wild At Heart ( David Lynch, 1990)

I'm not the biggest fan of David Lynch except for Twin Peaks and this film which seems to be less mentioned of his filmography. I actually just turned it on without looking it up on Netflix. But was intrigued by it's weird story telling. It reminded me of Twin Peaks. It's like some soap opera road-trip film with bizarre choices of visuals mixed with metal music. It's also in the vein of True Romance visually, and I suspect Tarantino/Tony Scott has some influence for True Romance which released 3 years after it. Weird films with Nick Cage are always good. 

1133333.jpg

• Like 2

The Untouchables

real f*cking disappointing with how predictable it is with bad actors and a story that was turned into a "Man go vroooooooom dead. now men go x games mode."

theres no explaination just "Ye that happened. lol"

the only good aspect was Robert De Niro, such a legend, but even he couldnt do any good with how f*cking terrible they made him

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, owolf said:

The Untouchables

real f*cking disappointing with how predictable it is with bad actors and a story that was turned into a "Man go vroooooooom dead. now men go x games mode."

theres no explaination just "Ye that happened. lol"

the only good aspect was Robert De Niro, such a legend, but even he couldnt do any good with how f*cking terrible they made him

Yeah man, it's one of those films that it's speaks to my tastes in a film but I just couldn't enjoy it. I found it corny. I couldn't get immersed in it at all. 

My recommendation for that era, and seeing some Al Capone, would be Boardwalk Empire series. First season is all character and story development, so some thing it's a bit slow. But it's good story telling. They know they have 5 seasons. And it's the best depiction of prohibition-era gangsterism you'll find on the screen. And Stephen Graham does a phenomenal job of Al Capone. 

• Like 1

James Bond Dr No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger-haven't seen these early James Bond movies since 2005,and since a local TV channel started airing one movie every weekend I decided to watch them again,I like them a lot and will keep watching them

original Star Wars trilogy and Revenge Of The Sith-they were also on TV again recently,I like them,especially A New Hope

Rambo 1-another great movie that was shown on TV so I rewatched it,I'm also interested in checking out the fifth movie,it's the only one in the series I haven't seen so far

Finding Nemo-a classic from my childhood,it was my favorite Pixar movie back then and I still love it

Edited by GTA-Biker
  • Like 2

scarface-movies-1.png

So, I watched Scarface for the first time in about 10 years because my other half says she doesn't remember seeing it. So, I thought it would be a good time to watch it. I've been through phases of loving this film and then going off and now I just think I love it. It's had such an impact on me visually. It's brought me blood and Hawaiian shirts and it introduced me to Giorgio Moroder (well, GTA III did) but I'll give the credit to Scarface. It's the reason I love pink neon and it's one of the reasons I keep pink in my signature and name. It's the reason Vice City is so good. 

My partner said she loves the colour schemes in the film. And I agreed. The costume design, the pink neon lights, the music. It's perfect. 

As for the film. Yeah, it's not perfect. At times it's just a tad unbelievable. Not the riches, not the violence, not the money, but some character motives just seem out of whack. For example, imagine Elvira's family, going to her wedding to Tony Montana because her much older Husband, got whacked with a cop! And then she hooks up with this Cuban millionaire, fresh off the boat, can barely string proper sentences together. I just don't think a woman raised in whatever family in Baltimore  would approve. Then again, we don't see her family. So, the films affords itself the ability to skip over these details. And are these details important to tell this story? Probably not. So, I guess that isn't really a criticism. 

I used to think this film was over-the-top. It is. But it's not unrealistic. If anyone has watched the documentary Cocaine Cowboys, then it just validates Scarface as being film credible with the level of money, drug-dealing and violence in Miami during the late 70's and through the 80's. 

It's an iconic, influential film. It would be so hard to imagine cinema without it. And apparently it was Pacino's idea to do this remake it. The development story is really interesting. And Oliver Stone, doesn't get enough credit for the screenplay.

• Like 5

Like you @Mister Pink, that Cocaine Cowboys documentary thoroughly enhances Scarface's credibility for me too. Great documentary.

I really love the movie for it's fantastic music and strong performance from Pacino in how he really throws himself into that role, and the vibrancy of it all really is just spot on. Really emphasises the lavish lifestyle those kind of guys would live, and hearing John Roberts in the CC documentary again highlights just how loud and proud these guys were in their heyday along with how Mickey Monday explains just how easy and simple things were too. I dare say some exagerating but it was such a crazy era to look back on compared to today's world.

Amazing how simple things were once, and violent too. That Ravi chap from the CC doc gave me chills at just how he told his stories of murder there and again in Scarface, it was just so savage and a life meant so little to some if it got in the way of anything, especially money.

A cracking piece of entertainment on the surface but such a good movie for seemingly doing justice to the era it covers upon further learning. I do love that flick though! :)

• Like 1

I've seen a quite a few movies in the past month, but most of them have been mediocre, so I don't really bother with listing them here. However, I watched Hereditary (2018) last night.

hereditary-poster.jpg

Now, I almost never get scared by movies, no matter how scary they try to be, but this made me feel uneasy. It was almost unsettling. The atmosphere, the haunting score, the acting, the choreography, etc. All top notch. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

..cracking piece of entertainment on the surface but such a good movie for seemingly doing justice to the era it covers upon further learning. I do love that flick though!

That's great bud. We enjoy so much of the same content. Glad you seen CC doc too. It's very good, although it it has its faults too. I felt the thing kept moving pace like an extended trailer or like the intro to a documentary with fast cuts and music but it never leaves the intro phase. It's just remains like that. It' never slows down. Probably coked up making the thing 😛 

One criticism I forgot to mention in the original post about Scarface is that the audio isn't great. I think it's just "of the time" and by today's standards it's really lacking. For example, they're shooting in big open mansion places with big reverb. And some of the shots were kind of wide, so I imagine it was hard to get a mic anywhere close to the actors. So, the the whole noise of the room is taken in. Now, I'm also watching it on an old HDTV with the standard crappy built-in speakers, mind you. I watch/listen to most content with headphones so there was probably that. 

@Arrows to Athens Keep meaning to watch Hereditary and Midsommar. 

1 hour ago, Arrows to Athens said:

Now, I almost never get scared by movies, no matter how scary they try to be, but this made me feel uneasy. It was almost unsettling. The atmosphere, the haunting score, the acting, the choreography, etc. All top notch. 

Same here, so this sounds good. 

• Like 2

@Mister Pink. The audio isn't perfect in Scarface that's for sure although like you said, it may not have been helped by limited speakers too, lol. But I can forgive that in older films and at times even really embrace that aspect as movies, especially cheap and creative stuff (horror or old sci-fi movies particularly), can be so flawed but full of character and creative passion and you can see where a director/creative team was limited and had to make the best of what limits they had, be it the era a movie was made and the technology available or the budget festrictions etc. It's fun to watch that creative come alive in some stuff.

Something like Only Fools and Horses for example too, you can tell it was made quite cheaply and the sets are a bit flimsy, but the heart in that show and relatable nature of many characters and storylines is so well crafted that it's so much easier to look past those technical flaws. Definitely is another where on location shooting audio really has aged poorly over time.

But yeah I feel the same, we do seem to share common interest in many things which is cool to read about. I do enjoy reading your posts regarding The Wire and other great TV similar, gives good food for thought. Seems we enjoy some well crafted drama and crime dramas of course. 

Regarding the CC doc, I absolutely agree about the pacing of that one, once it gets going, you're off. Initially I found the opening gunfire skits from the unknown actors to be a bit cheesy too, but once it got going, the time flew by watching that. Very fast paced/edited compared to many. I've only seen the follow up doc once a fair while ago and had company when I did and don't remember too much but sure I found it far less of a good watch but I have since picked up the double feature DVD so will probably rewatch that when I get the chance though.

@Arrows to Athens. I really was drawn into the atmosphere of Hereditary too, blimey it was a good one. Tony Collette was fantastic in that movie and there was great drama in that where you really got sucked into the characters and all but forget you're watching a horror film that by the time the spooky stuff came, it was pretty tense stuff at times. Really built up on ya there, and like you, it takes a lot to catch me out and scare me given I've seen my share of horror over the years. 

I do feel there was room at the end to take it up another notch or two though, but equally sometimes it's that less is more at work well here too. Nice to see the genre can still work though no matter how much we've seen, lol. 

• Like 2

Frayed (2007)

01.jpg

It’s a slasher film, and you can tell that it takes huge influence from John Carpenter’s Halloween, especially from the plot in itself. The synopsis is: A young boy murders his mother during his sister’s birthday party, which ends up in him being institutionalised. He escapes thirteen years later, with his father — who is the town’s sheriff — hunting him down. 

The film was quite interesting, to say the least. I kind of liked it, in fact. There is a very scarily realistic and gory death scene in the film that may give you nightmares for a couple of days. For a film that was made on a shoestring budget and relatively unknown/new actors, they really nailed the special effects with this one. You could tell they really cared about making a quality movie. The way they pulled off this particular death scene was insane. It was also done in one take, or it was rather made to look like it was one take. In fact, the death looked so genuine and realistic that it began to circulate on the Internet on various shock sites and forums, leading many to believe that it was actually real. There’s a video on YouTube on how they managed to execute the whole scene. I was surprised to discover that digital effects were used, but they way they used it was quite smart. The special effects crew deserve an award, for sure.

I’m not gonna say much more, other than the fact that this movie comes off to a very good start for a horror film. If you like slashers and movies that leave you mindf*cked, then this movie will indeed be a great watch, because trust me, this movie will most likely leave you mindf*cked, but also intrigued at the same time. Very few movies make me emotional, and this one kinda did it for me, surprisingly.  

Edited by Arrows to Athens