2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Thoughts On The Last Movie You've Seen

papanesta
Crokey
Message added by Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Pink

• Slamman

• makeshyft

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess... John Wick (2014)     If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the K

The Irishman (2019)     Brilliant film. I'm still trying to digest it all. I think a second viewing in about a year's time will be nice. It's got all the hallmarks of a Scorsese fi

You talking to me?

On 4/6/2020 at 2:28 PM, TheSantader25 said:

Manchester By the Sea(2016).

Not your typical movie. It's just a very relatable movie because the characters act like normal people in accordance to situations. It's not a movie that's gonna have the "holy f*ck" moment. It's just life as sh*tty and hard hitting it may get for people. Brilliant acting by Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams. 

Keep meaning to watch that film. I like Casey Affleck. Must give it a go. 

• Like 1

The Invisible Man (2020)

81vzoURk6OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What a movie this was. There were quite a few surprises in this one. It was intense and great fun. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair. Been a long time since I've watched either volume, they're still as good as I remember.

• Like 3

Last night we watched Murder Mystery starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston, released last year.

That first name in particular should give you a clue on what to expect. Adam Sandler plays a schlubby New York cop and Aniston is his hairdresser wife, and together they go on a trip to Europe and somehow entangle themselves in a rich family's feud, involving a murder which they get framed for and so they have to try to clear their name and find the real killer. Theoretical hilarity ensues.

The word that comes to my mind when describing this movie is the same word that I would choose for any other Adam Sandler comedy I've seen post-2005: lazy. This is supposed to be a comedy, and yet for the most part I was sitting there thinking "is there meant to be a joke in here somewhere?". Adam Sandler has this very irritating habit that he does in this film (and some others), in which once something (meant to be) comedic happens, his character serves as a pseudo-narrator that explains the joke. The scary African general takes off his fake hand? Sandler replies from afar "whoa he just took off his hand, did you see that? What else did he lose, his dick?". They both eavesdrop on a couple having sex? Sandler repeats a line the guy said that's supposed to be funny. Rinse and repeat. Maybe after all, the joke was on me. Sure feels that way.

Now I'm no cinematographer so I'll be the first to admit I don't know what I'm talking about here, but early on when the murder takes place our heroes are in a room full of what should be interesting people: a suave English man, his brother, his billionaire father, a famous actress, the aforementioned African general and his bodyguard, a British-Indian maharaja and a Spanish race car driver. Yet the lighting and shots are completely flat like this is a made-for-TV movie, and none of them feel interesting. It feels like Clue from 1985, but if Clue had instead been given to the Hallmark channel to make on a shoestring budget with Kevin Sorbo and Kathy Griffin.

What's obvious from all of this is that no one involved in the production of the film made it based on a creative spark or some kind of inspiration. So, how did this get made? The answer lies in the locations: France, Monaco, Italy. This movie served a purpose that pretty much every Sandler film does these days: to give Adam Sandler and his buddies a paid vacation. He's even essentially admitted that in the past, and it's why his movies generally take place somewhere exotic without any real reason for it. It's even evident in the final sequence, where Sandler and Aniston get in a Ferrari to chase after the villain, despite the French and Italian police being there already and Sandler having both no clear motivation (from already having saved his wife) and no jurisdiction to capture him. So, why? Probably because Adam just wanted to drive a Ferrari in Italy. Did you expect some reason organic to the story? f*ck you.

If I had to give it a letter grade, it'd be a D. Not the worst movie ever made but also not a competent film, and yet another novocaine-like experience from Adam Sandler's latest cash-grab.

Edited by Bartleby
  • Like 2
Algonquin Assassin

It's never dawned on me before, but I've never actually seen Predator despite that I've owned it on blu-ray for nearly two years so I watched it to hype myself for the Predator: Hunting Grounds game that's due out very soon.

For a movie that came out in 1987 it has held up extremely well. Way more violent than I thought it would be too. Very nice. 

• Like 2

Among a shed load of movies (and TV) this last month or so, I watched Beverly Hills Cop for what has to be the 50th time. I do love that flick.

But having seen Breaking Bad through 3 times over the years, I never clocked that the actor that played Mike in Breaking Bad was in Beverly Hills Cop as the bad guys number one henchman, lol. (He's also in the beginning 48 Hrs. too).

9 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

It's never dawned on me before, but I've never actually seen Predator despite that I've owned it on blu-ray for nearly two years so I watched it to hype myself for the Predator: Hunting Grounds game that's due out very soon.

For a movie that came out in 1987 it has held up extremely well. Way more violent than I thought it would be too. Very nice. 

'Get to the chopper!'

Classic stuff. The first sequel isn't terrible either, though no Arnie gold. The Robert Rodriguez produced 3rd has good moments too I felt though not without faults. I can't recommend the 4th in the franchise though, just didn't get into it and by the end, it got really silly. It felt like they tried too hard to be R Rated with the language/humour etc.

But like many 80's/90's action movies, they're hard to follow up in todays cinema without that magic those old flicks had. Die Hard, Terminator, Robocop, all just not even close to that good in recent years, unfortunately.

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Wording.
  • Like 1

p18213_v_v8_ab.jpg

Great blaxploitation film with Pam Grier, along with a fantastic score by Roy Ayers.

Has a lot of sex, cursing and violence in it, but it's to be expected. The villains are cardboard but they have a special kind of charm that's unique to the 70s, and the lead protagonist has better personality than a lot of female action characters today.

• Like 2

Beastie Boys Story

I grew up with these guys as the epitome of cool.  Hello Nasty and the single Intergalactic came out when I was 11 years old and it was just a force of nature. It was “f*ck you, this is hip hop, it’s not about being rich or famous, but good f*cking rhymes and beats.”  I cried when MCA died, I sobbed when Ad-Rock and Mike-D talked about him in this.  A part of “cool” left this world with MCA.  The world is not the same without the Beastie Boys.  That’s not necessarily bad, but I feel lucky to have lived in a time when they were relevant and releasing new music.

I wish I could’ve seen them live.

• Like 1
On 4/28/2020 at 4:09 AM, darthYENIK said:

Beastie Boys Story

I grew up with these guys as the epitome of cool.  Hello Nasty and the single Intergalactic came out when I was 11 years old and it was just a force of nature. It was “f*ck you, this is hip hop, it’s not about being rich or famous, but good f*cking rhymes and beats.”  I cried when MCA died, I sobbed when Ad-Rock and Mike-D talked about him in this.  A part of “cool” left this world with MCA.  The world is not the same without the Beastie Boys.  That’s not necessarily bad, but I feel lucky to have lived in a time when they were relevant and releasing new music.

I wish I could’ve seen them live.

What!!??! 

What you said is almost the exact same thing for me, word for word dude. I just got done watching Ad-Rock, Mike-D and Quest and Jimmy Fallon do an skype interview. Man, I was do distraught when MCA died. I don't cry for many people but when he passed that f*cked me up. Hello Nasty was my favourite album growing up. Had that on cassette and played it over and over.

And, about seeing them live. I turned down the opportunity to see them at a festival live. It's my biggest regret to this day. In fact the opened and closed the festival with two sets. One being a normal Hip Hop set and the other was a live instrumental set. Some comfort was some people thew on some MCA day parties here. I went a long and turn out was fantastic. Was so much fun to dance about and listen to Beastie Boys with other fans. 

Ad-Rock says they have so many recordings and I just hope they release more music. I can't wait to see this doc. 

Finally got my new Star Wars blu ray box and watched Episode IX. Not a bad film for me, although I must say it's not a franchise that means as much to me as it does others (hence I'm not posting this in the Star Wars thread, lol). That said, I've plenty of franchises I do love and can understand it's not easy to please a hardcore/passionate fan base of course. It's a shame it gets a bad reception though.

I found it a good bit of family friendly fun. Awesome graphics and the cinematography in general too, good acting from most all involved too. I quite enjoyed the final battle although it could have lasted twice as long and I'd not get bored of that, I did want more. And the scenes with Carrie Fisher made me sad she passed just before wrapping up this saga.

I've seen Adam Driver in a couple other movies of late and do find him an enjoyable actor to watch too. It was never gonna top the 70's/80's magic for me and Avengers Endgame was just that much better for an episode that we go into with high expectations after what came before leading up to that big payoff. A solid 7/10.

On 5/2/2020 at 1:00 PM, SonOfLiberty said:

Still my favourite Tarantino movie.

I say that all the time, but then I re-watch Django Unchained and find myself so torn, ha ha. Pulp Fiction is an absolute classic of course, but I do love how Quentin can make a cracking movie out of anything really. One director that never disappoints. I look forward to movie number 10. :)

• Like 1

Pulp Fiction at one point was my favourite Tarantino film but it's now True Romance. I keep coming back to it and just love everything about it. Also, Jackie Brown. I've never read the book Rum Punch but in ways it sounds more inviting than version that Tarantino did (him setting it in L.A. instead of Miam where it's originally set). 

In fact, would be nice if GTA VI references it, if we're back in Miami. 

I haven't got to watch any films recently. Hopefully this weekend. 

• Like 1
Arrows to Athens

The Furies (2019)

The-Furies-600x800.jpg

A low budget, independent slasher film about a woman who is kidnapped, then finds herself thrown into a deadly game where women are hunted down by a group of psychotic masked men. If you're a fan of slashers, it wouldn't hurt to give it a watch. 

The gore and practical effects are top notch for a small movie with a small budget. One thing that has me going back to this film is the score, which I cannot find anywhere. My God, it is outstanding. Sometimes it transitions from synth to beautiful orchestra that sounds like it came out from an adventure/fantasy film like Lord of the Rings.

I would kill to get my hands on the score. 

Edited by Arrows to Athens
  • Like 1

Upgrade (2018)

Surprisingly good movie and also very smart. You may think it's predictable but it's not. Also the soundtrack and the camera work are both top-notch.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Arrows to Athens

Becky (2020)

Movie Review - Becky (2020)

A fun and violent action film about a daughter and a father whose house is invaded by a group of convicts who escaped from a prison bus during their weekend getaway. 

I was surprised to see Kevin James in this. He looked like Big Show in this movie. 

The Dead Don't Die.

A zombie comedy that popped up on Sky's premier, figured it could be a laugh. This flick was more 'miss' than 'hit' although there are a couple of funny moments in there. A few Star Wars and George Romero nods too.

It's not a poorly made movie, but if you look at the cast list, you'd seriously expect more. Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Steve Buscemi, Tilda Swindon, Danny Glover, and more. The acting wasn't bad as you'd expect with that cast either, but it really was too slow and no way near the comedy I was anticipating. 4/10.

Beyond that, I have watched far too many older movies, but that'd be one hell of an essay, lol. Best not write a blurb on all those.

Among those, we did watch all of the Child's Play movies including the latest remake which I really did enjoy. Mark Hammil was good as Chucky and though the doll took a little getting used to, it grew on me. Fun theme tune too. 7/10.

The series is mixed though and the older movies have aged. But though it is a bit of a crappy flick, I did find myself laughing more than I probably should have at Seed of Chucky. That film knows it's sh*te and I found Glen/Glenda good fun. 5/10. It is trashy, lol.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

The Dead Don't Die.

A zombie comedy that popped up on Sky's premier, figured it could be a laugh. This flick was more 'miss' than 'hit' although there are a couple of funny moments in there. A few Star Wars and George Romero nods too.

It's not a poorly made movie, but if you look at the cast list, you'd seriously expect more. Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Steve Buscemi, Tilda Swindon, Danny Glover, and more. The acting wasn't bad as you'd expect with that cast either, but it really was too slow and no way near the comedy I was anticipating. 4/10.

Beyond that, I have watched far too many older movies, but that'd be one hell of an essay, lol. Best not write a blurb on all those.

Among those, we did watch all of the Child's Play movies including the latest remake which I really did enjoy. Mark Hammil was good as Chucky and though the doll took a little getting used to, it grew on me. Fun theme tune too. 7/10.

The series is mixed though and the older movies have aged. But though it is a bit of a crappy flick, I did find myself laughing more than I probably should have at Seed of Chucky. That film knows it's sh*te and I found Glen/Glenda good fun. 5/10. It is trashy, lol.

One of the very few movies that have mixed comedy and zombie-apocalypse together well is Dead Snow 1 & 2. Both films are great. I wonder if they're gonna make a third.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Arrows to Athens said:

One of the very few movies that have mixed comedy and zombie-apocalypse together well is Dead Snow 1 & 2. Both films are great. I wonder if they're gonna make a third.

I'm yet to see those, but they are on the list. Often it's down to what the Mrs/kids fancy, lol. But sometimes I get to pick and definitely will watch those soon. It may mean I promise no gaming that evening,. 🤣

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I'm yet to see those, but they are on the list. Often it's down to what the Mrs/kids fancy, lol. But sometimes I get to pick and definitely will watch those soon. It may mean I promise no gaming that evening,. 🤣

What?!? You need to see those. It's a must! Also, it's one of the very few cases where the sequel is better than the first, though that can still come down to preference. The sequel actually has higher ratings than the first. I find it more fun, but the first is great as well.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Arrows to Athens said:

What?!? You need to see those. It's a must! Also, it's one of the very few cases where the sequel is better than the first, though that can still come down to preference. The sequel actually has higher ratings than the first. I find it more fun, but the first is great as well.

On that note, I'll be sure they're next to watch. Cheers for the recommendation there! :)

• Like 1
Naughtius Maximus

Jojo_Rabbit_(2019)_poster.jpg

Set during the final days of Nazi Germany, Jojo Rabbit is an eccentric movie that flirts with both comedy and drama genres. The movie's protagonist 10-years-old Johannes "Jojo" Betzler starts out as thick-headed yet good-natured Nazi fanatic who apparently idolizes Hitler so much that he recognizes him as his imaginary buddy. The movie's premise is built around Jojo discovering love, life, death and the reality of war after he meets with Elsa (a young Jewish girl who has been hiding in his house for a while) and gets closure with his life-endorsing mother. The movie has a distinctive approach to its theme as Jojo's childish perspective is perfectly used to blend the comedy right in. 

The caricaturaztion of Hitler feels unique, given that he fits the role of Jojo's "cool" imaginary pal. They did a good job portraying Hitler as friendly, aloof yet somewhat manipulative. A good amount of comedy stems from Jojo's interaction with the Hitler image in his head. 

The scenes between Elsa and Jojo are enjoyable in terms of both fun and drama. Jojo starts his geniune chats with her for digging information about Jews and she fires backs with sick burns (like "We're like you, but human."). Also Jojo's mother is worth mentioning: Jojo's mom is an Anti-Nazi revolutionary who endorses the beauties of life and tries her best to school Jojo about it. Through his relationship with his mom and Elsa, Jojo eventually learns about his inner sweet nature - which builds up to the dramatic parts of the movie.

To conclude, I'd give Jojo Rabbit a solid 8 out of 10 for its trademark approach to comedy and drama. And with all honesty, it's one of the few recent movies I've truly enjoyed. 

I finally watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday. Really enjoyed it overall. Thought the ending was hilarious.

Watched Uncut Gems a day or two before that. I thought it was a great movie but it was one of the most stressful things I've ever seen, and then the ending happens the way it does. Punch Drunk Love is probably still my favorite Adam Sandler movie but this one may be a close second.

Extraction (2020)

MV5BMDJiNzUwYzEtNmQ2Yy00NWE4LWEwNzctM2M0

I actually fairly enjoyed this movie. The long take scenes, cinematography, camera work, action, violence, etc, was all top notch. 

Jerry Maguire-I already watched it,but only the last 30-60 minutes,today was the first time I watched it whole,good movie with lots of memorable quotes ("Show me the money", "Help me help you", "You had me at hello").

Speed aka The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down-another movie I already watched,like it a lot,as well as Billy Idol's song Speed that was used in the end credits.

Goodfellas.

I watched it for the second time in the last two days since I saw that it was on Hulu. It had been a few years since I watched it. Damn, that movie is awesome. Everything about it is perfect. I especially like all of the extended tracking shots. The soundtrack is fantastic as well. Just an amazing movie.

As I'm currently playing RDR2 and I got to the part where the gang gets settled in the swamps of Lamoyne,I thought it would be fitting to watch Southern Comfort.It's a good action movie,with elements of war movie and horror.Also,it's directed by Walter Hill,the guy who directed The Warriors, Red Heat and 48 Hrs movies,all of which I like,so I'm thinking about checking out some of his other movies (I've heard Streets Of Fire is pretty good).

81MNvSfB24L._SL1500_.jpg

BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR AND HUMANITY

Director: Kinji Fukasaku

It's an essential 1973 Yakuza film that pits you in the criminal underbelly of post-WW2 Hiroshima. This film, as well as Fukasaku's other films such Sympathy of the Underdog, Yakuza Graveyard and Battle Royale,  are among my favorite films. It also influenced the Yakuza series of video games. This film also has had a number of sequels, though I have yet to watch them. It's about as close as you can get to a Japanese Godfather, though I prefer this film a lot more.

The story is about a tight-knit group of hell-raising, brotherly ex-Imperial Army soldiers that eventually join a local Yakuza crime family in late-40s Hiroshima, a few years after the nuking, and get formally initiated as mobsters. The main character, Shozo, goes to jail briefly for a murder, while his friends on the outside rise through the ranks of the family. Soon, in opposition of their earlier brotherhood, and an extreme lust for power, they begin killing each other, and a civil war breaks out after a rogue member and one of Shozo's old comrades, Sakai, leaves and starts his own faction.

The main character goes to jail three times over the course of the storyline, still remaining loyal to the cause. Once he leaves jail for the final time, he eventually learns, and sees, the Yakuza and its code for what it really is; nothing but a bed of hot air and lies, where friends become sworn enemies overnight, and people you thought you could trust turn out to be backstabbing, conniving hypocrites, seeking only to benefit themselves. The ending, for all the dark and violent themes of the film, is a shocking, yet bittersweet and poignant one that serves as a character-establishing moment for Shozo.

With great editing and soundtrack to accompany it, this film's biggest standout is perhaps its cinematography. It is visceral, claustrophobic and gritty, much like its story, with cinema verite-esque handheld shots of men pushing and shoving through crowds, getting into fights and committing grisly murders. That said, the film knows how to employ these techniques wisely, as in much more quiet and contemplating scenes, the opposite is employed.

This film is great if you want to get into the Yakuza genre of films, and if you like the Hiroshima-ben, a dialect used in the film that roll their Rs stronger than South Africans, and I honestly can't recommend it enough.

Edited by DownInTheHole
  • Like 3
On 6/26/2020 at 2:52 AM, DownInTheHole said:

This film is great if you want to get into the Yakuza genre of films, and if you like the Hiroshima-ben, a dialect used in the film that roll their Rs stronger than South Africans, and I honestly can't recommend it enough.

I've been in search of some Yakuza film I'm not sure exists. I loved the flamboyant caricature of Yakuza depicted in Ichi The Killer. 

ichi01a.jpg

I'm not interested to see supernatural or something like Yakuza Apocalypse but something that scratches my itch to see a Yakuza like the Takashi Miike's depiction of them in Ichi The Killer. Maybe with the dark humour but with the nod to more western style storytelling like Scorsese's Goodfellas. Is that too much to ask? :D 

Battles Without Honour and Humanity looks very appealing. The last Yakuza film I watched was Sonatine which is considered a Yakuza film classic. While I like arthouse films, especially when married to genres that aren't classically arthouse, it wasn't what I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Sonatine and couldn't stop watching it but I'm craving something bigger, something more violent and something a little flamboyant. Not cheesy though. It's hard to explain. 

Last film I watched was completely unplanned. I put it on just to see the start but ended up watching the whole thing.

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. 

This film has it's issues. I can see why a reviewer might give it a bad review. Unless you are into the culture, the book, Hunter S. Thompson, Gonzo, you might just think this film is a bit of a headache. However, if you enjoy

psychedelic adventures, and a sort of shallow critique/exploration of the American dream filtered through a plethora of psychedelic drugs, this is film is for you. There are so many quotable moments. It's a little indulgent in itself but so are drug-binges. They are very self-indulgent. I just love the visuals in this film. It's shot beautifully. All the colours, the locations, and sets. It's just aesthetically pleasing to me. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2