2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Thoughts On The Last Movie You've Seen

papanesta
Crokey
Message added by Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Pink

• Slamman

• makeshyft

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here to bring the sentences-per-post average up again I guess... John Wick (2014)     If you want your action sequences to an A standard and your movies to a B, then John Wick might be the K

You talking to me?

The Irishman (2019)     Brilliant film. I'm still trying to digest it all. I think a second viewing in about a year's time will be nice. It's got all the hallmarks of a Scorsese fi

1917 (2019)

The Good: Great cinematography and the single-shot effect worked pretty good if ya into that kind of thing. The one scene where someone gets hurt was awesome. The production design was very good and convinces that you are in 1917.

The Bad: If you prefer traditionally shot and edited films, you might find this slow paced, although the background stuff never slows down as it is a war happening. 

The Ugly: The story is thin as hell and the payoff at the end wasn't as satisfying as its been in other similar films. Oh and the scene where our hero gets dropped off and insists on climbing the top of the fallen-down bridge while the sniper is shooting at him...that was so maddening, why didnt you jump in the water and find a way that wouldn't have you dodging sniper bullets unnecessarily.  

• Like 2

6089816_sa.jpg

Logan Lucky

This was a good watch, an entertaining heist movie sprinkled with some humour, with great performances all around. Daniel Craig as the larger than life Joe Bang was the standout for me.

My only complaint is that ten or fifteen minutes could have been shaved off the runtime, but overall it's a clever, well written and very fun movie.

• Like 2

Goodfellas, 1990

fd903d09554dfe35d75e18f8225bd407

I watched Goodfellas last night. I don't know how many times I've watched it now. Possibly in double figures. I think this might be my favourite film. It's certainly the film I've watched the most where my feelings haven't changed at all for the negative. Also, this film is so rich in detail but so easy to follow that re-watching usually reveals new something new every time. 

Ray Liotta is perfect in this film. He has that greaseball look that's kind of frightening but very likable too. It always confused me that he never went on to play a role as big as Henry Hill again. This film was the peak of his career and he never seem to make anything as great ever since (with the exception of Vice City of course). 

• Like 6

@Mister Pink

There's a 2012 movie called Killing Them Softly, Ray Liotta plays a mob boss whose poker game is robbed, it's a very good movie, he role isn't particularly large but his character reminds me of an aging Henry Hill, probably typecasting on my part but it's well worth a watch. Brad Pitt is scary as the enforcer sent after the robbers, well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. 

KillingThemSoftly.jpg

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, The Time Ranger said:

There's a 2012 movie called Killing Them Softly, Ray Liotta plays a mob boss whose poker game is robbed, it's a very good movie, he role isn't particularly large but his character reminds me of an aging Henry Hill, probably typecasting on my part but it's well worth a watch. Brad Pitt is scary as the enforcer sent after the robbers, well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. 

Cheers bud. Yeah this film was one of those films that I kept meaning to watch but never did. Now it's been 8 years! 😛 But thanks for recommending it as I completely forgot about it. 

Other film I started but haven't finished is Videodrome. 

p7834_v_v8_ab.jpg

I always loved the cover of this film. It's etched in my memory since I was a kid and video-rentals were a thing. You'd walk around the store, picking up the over 18's videos, trying to catch glimpse of something you weren't suppose to see. This was one of those covers. I'm not sure there's a space in the world now where you pick up a film or album and stare at the artwork wondering what the hell is in this thing. 

Anyway, from what I watched so far, the film is a little ridiculous in that way where people can meet in "movieland" under extremely coincidental circumstances and it's doesn't phase the characters at all, it's normal, cause they're in a movie, right? Some in-movie logic made me go WTF? Other than that, what made me actually finally watch this was because the Safdie brothers like it. I want to be watching what is influencing them. I probably knew and forgot but was surprised again that Debbie Harry is in this film. I'll catch up with the rest of the film tonight and maybe update this with a little review. 

• Like 4

@Mister Pink

Yeah I picked up Videodrome in CEX for a couple of euro, haven't watched it yet, it certainely looks interesting, let us know how you found it, being a Blondie fan I picked it up to see Debbie Harry act, but Cronenberg is always worth a watch, I have memories of watching Scanners as a kid and scaring the living sh1t out of myself. 

• Like 2

@Con9mm. The 'In Search of Darkness' documentary was a great watch, and seeing a couple of posts above mention 2 classics from that era by @Mister Pink with Videodrome and @The Time Ranger with Scanners, it's definitely recommended viewing for fans of those VHS days Mister Pink eludes to when we went off looking for gruesome or cheeky video covers, or maybe try getting away with renting something we probably shouldn't. And boy did Cronenberg deliver, and leave me baffled at times, lol. I'll have to rewatch those two movies again.

Those really were some great times though!!!

-------------

This weekend we re-watched the original trilogy of Romero's Dead series, Night, Dawn, and Day of the Dead. My Mrs first time seeing any of these too, I saw these probably 20 years ago or more myself.

Night - Oh boy has this aged, it took a little while to get into the movie, it's hard to see some and the sound in places is awful. It's an old and tame story by today's standards too. It's got a The Godfather-like feel to it I feel as the Mrs knew what was gonna happen and you feel like you've seen it through all the retellings and parodies etc, aside at the very end there with the surprise ending. It's a landmark flick so I'll be kind and give an extra point, 7/10.

Dawn - The whole package is just so much better, and though the gore has aged, it holds up well with the tone and score for shock value which can get uncomfy for some. Felt a little longer than I remember, and there's again much familiar ground even for a new viewer, but it's my kind of zombie flick and Tom Savini is always good for a show and I feel this is the best of the series. 8/10

Day - Great gore, story is thinning and parts are bad now. Some of the acting is not good at all, distracting. Like the previous 2, it has that familiar feel with the themes for new viewers, but that's more just because of watching it after zombie movies and TV are much more common and popular. 6/10

• Like 3
On 3/1/2020 at 8:51 PM, Lonely-Martin said:

This weekend we re-watched the original trilogy of Romero's Dead series, Night, Dawn, and Day of the Dead. My Mrs first time seeing any of these too, I saw these probably 20 years ago or more myself.

Nice. Was just recently looking at the trailers for these films as Boards of Canada were really inspired by the music for one one or two of their tracks off their last album and one track is obvious nod in title "Reach For The Dead" and the one in my sig, 

I'm glad you gave a little mini synopsis. It's kind of serendipitous now, that I must watch them.  

• Like 1
On 3/3/2020 at 9:28 AM, Mister Pink said:

Nice. Was just recently looking at the trailers for these films as Boards of Canada were really inspired by the music for one one or two of their tracks off their last album and one track is obvious nod in title "Reach For The Dead" and the one in my sig, 

I'm glad you gave a little mini synopsis. It's kind of serendipitous now, that I must watch them.  

That's a nice moody little track! I could see a bit of Rob Zombie and Robert Rodriquez in that, (and Breaking Bad too). Both directors have mentioned being influenced by Romero's classics among other grindhouse elements, and that video has that old road movie horrific feel to it a bygone era once thrived on.

They may have aged as movies, but definitely required viewing for zombie fans but horror fans in general too. One thing I noticed is how my son or daughter say 'these zombies are too smart/capable' with some other modern stuff and 'that's not how it should be' pops up, lol.

But rewatching Romero's trend setters here, we saw that right from the start that zombies like these have their instincts and abilities. And I know from watching when it was released that this grows in the next instalment Land of the Dead. Found that funny to say 'see, I kept telling ya' 🤣

• Like 1

Kidnapped (2010)

91us0rtsGJL._SY445_.jpg

A Spanish psychological thriller film that follows a family of three who are terrorized by a group of burglars shortly after moving into their new home. This is some of the best home invasion films out there. Outstanding cinematography, excellent camera work, top notch acting, etc. I highly, highly recommend this film. This was my 3rd or 4th time seeing it, and it always leaves me at the edge of my seat every single time. 

Fun fact: The entire film was shot in 12 long takes.

Edited by Arrows to Athens
  • Like 2

Image result for the greasy strangler dvd

Holy sh*t where do I begin. Let's get the main character out the way first...Big Ronnie's massive 27" d*ng. You can't get away from it, you don't want to look but like any good train wreck, you just have to and if you dont do it willingly, eventually you will be forced to face it head on, pun intended. Once you adapt to the horse c*ck you can then focus on the dialogue which is pretty pedantic but this is a strange place...one where you can go disco in a see-through crotch pants and the community doesn't blink an eye. I enjoyed the story of a schlub finally getting some action. I thought the s*x scenes where hilarious, especially when they emphasized butt-play cause come on, it's funny even if you aren't into butt-play, you can still imagine how much fun it can be when done correctly. lmao. Anyways, a love interest gets between this dynamic father and son duo and threatens to separate their friendship. Thankfully one of them has the ability to take out his frustration on the dumbest motherf*ckers in the community, motherf*ckers that allow a man to strangle them while they spew out stupid last words, like, "I think im gonna fart." while getting strangled, okay, I just made that one up, but still, you get the point. Did i mention that the son has an infant size d*ck? I apologize, I should give you the pertinent details first, my bad. So horsecock and infantdick basically are on two missions, one is trying to eat as much grease and lard as possible and the other is trying to just get laid with the infantdick. The strength of this film is the girth of the situation. Who is the greasy strangler and after seeing Ronnie's d*ck, do you even care about anything else after that? probably not, so was the movie any good....? I was entertained by the color and production design and wanted to see what the f*ck was going to happen, was there ever gonna be a cop investigating? Nope. The only cop that shows up is Horsecock himself disguised and this particular scene was the weakest in the entire film. One thing that ruins this film is the need to repeat the same joke to the point of obnoxiousness. There is one scene where a character is saying "Potato" but it goes on WAY too long. I came close to stopping the movie as I was afraid this was going to be the way the dialogue was written. The acting was strong here cause making those quirky characters seem real was not an easy task but this ensemble does a great job. By the way the greasy strangler is one of the worst serial killer concepts I have ever seen, how do you strangle someone with grease on your hands? Just made no sense, thankfully the morons allow themselves to be killed with little resistance. Anyways if Troma went gore-lite then self-impregnated and then self-aborted the fetus, this is the film that would come out for sure. 

Final Verdict...a shriveled up and flaccid...2/5... Don't get me wrong, I like this kind of sh*t once in a while. Some of the "gore" was fun and I can enjoy Tromaville movies and loved the strange characters from Eagle vs Shark (directed by Tiaka Waittiti) and I also liked the characters in Napoleon Dynamite, so I got behind these characters immediately, but the need to hold the jokes so long or the running gag, again FULL pun intended, of Ronnie's horsecock gets old and stale by the end when we see him dance on the street in a spotlight, which just serves to show us more of his outfit that reveals his horsecock that we have been seeing for the past hour, so the joke loses girth by that point. This is a film not for everyone. I recommend this film if you hear your brain tell you to watch some real, real f*cking wacky sh*t. 

• Like 2

Last film I watched was The Fighter, David. O. Russell, 2010

FIGHTER-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto

Pretty sure I wrote about this before in this very topic. It's a one of my favourite films of the 2010's. Christian Bale plays a mildly-successful boxer turned coach and crack addict and big brother to fellow boxer Mickey "Irish" Ward. Based on a true story, it tells the tale of Ward mixing family with business. His family are a double-edged sword in his success and failures. Bale's character acts as his coach and their mother as the manager.  It follows the story of how he navigates through a point in his career, juggling offers from other managers and coaching, without his messed-up family. 

Bale is phenomenal. He's just a crazy good. Every role Bale does, I completely buy it. He's not my favourite actor, but one of my most respected actors. 

• Like 1

True Romance. 

I can't believe I hadn't seen this sooner. I didn't even know Tarantino wrote this. What an incredible movie. And jeeez. That cast man... Now that's a cast alright? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

True Romance. 

I can't believe I hadn't seen this sooner. I didn't even know Tarantino wrote this. What an incredible movie. And jeeez. That cast man... Now that's a cast alright? 

Haha! That was last movie I've seen! :D This week just been going over some of my old favorites. 

I know I wrote about this movie in the this thread before but I'll do it again. 

848064005346.jpg

It might just be the perfect crime-film. Written by Quentin Tarantino, directed by Tony Scott, starring Patricia Arquette and Christian Slater with appearances Gary Oldman, Val Kilmer, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken and uncredited on the poster James Gandolfini, Michael Rappaport, Chris Penn, Tom Sizemore and Samuel. L. Jackson with a great performance from Bronson Pinchot and Saul Rubinek

What I love about the film is the wardrobe/styling by Susan Becker (The Lost Boys, Days of Thunder). I guess it's that road-trip, thrift-store, trailer-thrash look, kind of comparable to clothing in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Scarface and Pulp Fiction. Inspired by the 50's, bright and colorful shirts and accessories that offer a happy, bright positive look but in a world of crime. And to top it off and open-top Cadillac.  The film is romantic to the notion of visually pleasing aesthetics, drenched in nostalgia. 

What can I say about the film. I love how Clarence and Alabama meet. He's this comic-book store, kung-fu movie loving guy, who doesn't have much money but is has much access to all the comics he wants, and friendly boss that will help him with loans in needs be. Alabama is this cute, bubbly girl that comes in to Clarence's life for arguably the wrong reason but they hit it off. When Clarence learns of Alabama's scumbag ex-"boss" he makes his business to make sure Alabama is released from her previous work duties without issue which ends up in a road trip to L.A. to make a deal. 

It's got all the classic hallmarks of a Tarantino film. Interesting and often funny dialogue, ultra-violence and lots of nostalgic references to the past and other movies. Aparently he didn't direct it because he was too inexperienced yet. But I love Tony Scott's work. Wouldn't have it any other way. RIP Tony Scott. 

It's in my top-5 films. I just love it

Genius performance from Gary Oldman

And Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer

I think I'll watch Badlands next.

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 4

Rewatched The Deer Hunter(1978). Such a classic. 3 hours long but it's alright since I'm home because of the quarantine. Amazing performances from Robert De Niro and Christopher Walken. Also this music... 

Rewatched Pulp Fiction because it's always a good time to rewatch Pulp Fiction. I forgot how good Samuel L. Jackson is in this movie. The dialogue is masterful and Tarantino at his best in making you just captivated by these characters and the storylines surrounding them.

Pulp-Fiction1.png

Battle royale, the film that was battle royale before the hunger games, pubg or fortnite

Directed by kinji fukasaku, who also directed battles against honor and humanity, a yakuza film that i also highly recommend

ADvzlvtZWRjCgqLJi3cy2LPW8n3Rzu_Z70rh1KO1

At first glance it may seem like another japanese exploitation film but it actually deconstructs the concept of its namesake quite viscerally, in contrast to many mediums that utilize it today.

For a brutal and violent movie, the story and premise was great and emotional, the acting melodramatic (in a good way) and the original score one of the best ive heard in films of this type, and i dont usually listen to classical music

The cinematography, i feel is also extremely underrated, with its smart use of the rule of threes to establish shots, black and white dialogue frames to illustrate the character's thoughts, frantic camera angles during violent scenes and the use of close ups or pans to emphasize the impact of certain scenes

All in all, highly recommend, and theres a good reason why tarantino said that this was his favorite film of the 2000s.

Edited by DownInTheHole
  • Like 1

This is unusual for me but I watched True Romance again! It turned out the gf hasn't seen it and she was away for a couple of months. So, I the film just popped in to my head and was explaining to her how great it is.  Watched, and although it was only a week since I've watched it before, I enjoyed it almost as much. Of course I was enjoying my gf's reaction to seeing Gary Oldman as Drexyl and the star-studded cameos. 

I would say it's Tarantino's best film or at least top 3. I re-watched From Dusk Til Dawn and I forgot just how fun that movie is. I thought I went of Tarantino or found him to be a bit overrated but after watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, From Dusk Til Dawn and True Romance, he's just a good writer/director. 

Patricia Arquette in this movie.. damn. 

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin

The Invisible Man (2020 film) - release poster.jpg

On paper this movie sounds a little silly, but I had a feeling it was going to defy my expectations and I wasn't disappointed. Absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 1

This was the last movie I have seen. It was unplanned and I hadn't seen seen the trailer. I was expecting something totally different, judging by its title and poster. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Finally got around to watching John Wick 3. It's absolutely ridiculous, as one would expect but it's just so beautifully shot and the choreography goes back to the highly skilled fight choreography we would get in classic martial arts films of the 70's/80's.  These are silly popcorn flicks, like superhero films. Like Scorsese said, they're not art but like themepark films. But that's OK. I wanted to enjoy something on screen and I got it. Not every film has to have new and artistic, some can just be good at the genre of film and John Wick hits the spot. 

Dan Lausten was the cinematographer for this film and John Wick 2. He won an Oscar for The Shape of Water. Beautiful us of light and colour in this film. 

original.gif

tumblr_pxi7zmCnjq1qc3ju8o9_500.gifv

john-wick-skip_orig.png

• Like 3

@Mister Pink

The John Wick films really are great turn off your brain movies, I saw the 3rd in the cinema, visually stunning as your screenshots attest to, looked even better on the big screen.

• Like 1

Child's Play (2019)

I actually liked the modern adaption of Chucky being a corrupted AI entertainment and household robot instead of a demonic entity that possesses humans. The theme fits perfectly with today's modern controversies and concerns about artificial intelligence and their power to learn more than it is programmed to and gaining the ability to act upon its own will. The way Chucky progress to become evil, independent and more autonomous, while able to control other Kaslan products (manufacture of various electronic devices including the Buddi doll) gives you those Terminator vibes.

Only thing I didn't quite like was many of the child actors. Many of the kids' acting performance felt too much like they belonged on either Nickelodeon's or Disney Channel's live action scene. However, the protagonist Andy played by Gabriel Bateman did a great performance with his acting being both convincing and authentic. 

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, The Time Ranger said:

@Mister Pink

The John Wick films really are great turn off your brain movies, I saw the 3rd in the cinema, visually stunning as your screenshots attest to, looked even better on the big screen.

I bet it was much better, all right. That's my only regret, really. I was lucky to see John Wick 2 on the big screen but just missed this one.  

• Like 1

MV5BNjdmOWU2NzctNDVjYi00ZTc4LWIzMWItZjRh

Stupidly good film, it's not your classic buddy cop film, nor is it original in that it pairs a kid with an adult, but what make's this is just the sheer level of language and violence, which is to the point of funny not gratuitous.

Good use of 90 minutes of your time, would recommend 7.5/10

• Like 2

Watched a lot of movies this weekend,including Fast & Furious 1, James Bond Casino Royale, Blood Father, and Black Panther.I already watched most of those movies before,other than Blood Father,and I also liked that movie,it kinda feels like a B movie,but with a few well known actors and a decent story.

Manchester By the Sea(2016).

Not your typical movie. It's just a very relatable movie because the characters act like normal people in accordance to situations. It's not a movie that's gonna have the "holy f*ck" moment. It's just life as sh*tty and hard hitting it may get for people. Brilliant acting by Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams. 

• Like 1