4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

papanesta

Last Movie You've Seen

Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

Message added by Crokey

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

People are just used to asking, "1-10, how good was it?" I tend to ask that from time to time. But ya, it isn't really needed. I can just read your post and know what you thought.

DemonKing

Final Verdict:

7.5/10

Demon, if even you're using a number rating, what chance has this topic got!?

Discussion is encouraged, and number ratings are as good as banned. Number ratings tell people nothing about the film.

Alright fine, didn't see that. I'll stop with them then, if that's the case it's hardly like I just put the number rating and no review on the film I've seen though is it? But alright man I understand.

Anyway I saw Raging Bull last night. I haven't seen it before and even if it's a bit late as it got knocked out.

The film wasn't too bad overall, I liked the fact scorsesse used to the black and white style. De Niro and Pesci are a great combination on screen but overall the film felt a tad empty to me, not sure why, maybe it's just hard to sympathise with the Lamotta character when he acts the way he does towards other people. The sequences and scenes in the films are top notch though, the shot of the blood dripping off the boxing ring rope after the fight was well placed.

Edited by DemonKing

Digital Warlord.

Watched Gran Torino last night on the advice of a couple friends. Was never a big fan of Clint Eastwood but I was very impressed. The blatant over-the-top racism was hysterical at times. Wasn't a fan of the actor who played Tao though.

papanesta
Anyway I saw Raging Bull last night. I haven't seen it before and even if it's a bit late as it got knocked out.

It's back in...

Slamman

I am watching the Lord of the Rings over again, I can't be swayed in how highly I enjoy it. Just a great adventure. Kudos to New Line on making it three movies, as Peter Jackson envisioned from the get go.

I mentioned earlier Nick Gage in The Rock. I don't know if I alone like that film, but when it was released on Criterion's labelled collection, there was some negative response in that it was not a classic film, but Michael Bay was on a roll with his home video releases, so it's more then just the one film I guess.

DemonKing

It's back in...

Yeah I hadn't seen that when I posted...

Alright I watched 21 Grams last night. Very good film, superb performances from Del Toro, Penn and Watts. I loved how the film was all set out in a jumbled way so the plots all came together, it was a pretty unique take on a film. The ending left me wondering what happened in the end.

Slamman

I saw 21 grams ages ago, so long I don't recall much. I don't presume to say that means a film is bad, but it is something! haha

I will be watching Last Action Hero with Arnie again, bought it last week. I thought I had the film on LD, but likely lent out to someone and never got back, either way... The thing I like about it is how it emulates a big screen film in it's whole story and premise. It just shouts LARGER THEN LIFE

BigNekkidSnake

We got a big ass box of VHS's a while back with a lot of horror movies so heres one I watched the other night.

The House by The Cemetery ( Lucio Fulci's Masterpiece as it says on the case.)

user posted image

I got to start by saying I found it funny as the movie started it said "Laserdisc PLAY" and I pulled out the tape and noticed the TDK EHG logo on it (the guy that sold it made a case/label and everything it seems.) It was a okay horror movie but the close ups in this movie are pure gold, it zooms into the faces or eyes of the characters like every 3 minutes atleast I remember laughing my ass off at one point when it zoomed into Normans eyes then to Ann's, her eyes looked to the sides then it zoomed in on the other womans eyes and then zoomed back into Norman's eyes. The music was extremely cheesy and you knew something was going to happen as soon as you hear a "DINGGGG!" The worst thing about this movie was the monster of a child named Bob (weird name for a kid) with a really f*cking annoying voice that made me hope he was the first to die. It wasn't a great movie but it was pretty damn enjoyable.

I also have another one of this guy's movies called The Beyond I may watch it and comment on it later on this week.

Watched Ip Man starring Donnie Yen yesterday. A damn good martial arts film. Still too glossy to be a true biopic but it served its purpose and then some. Lots of great action, and Yen is just awesome sauce. Plus, it's the story of Bruce Lee's teacher so I had to watch for that alone. The style, Wing Chun. A style created by a woman, but it's f*cking vicious when Ip Man employs it. So ya, real good watch. It was rightfully sad when the Japanese marched into China and turned the people into 2nd class citizens, Ip Man, once a rich fella, included. Good stuff for sure, I could watch it again, and again.

Watch Ip whoop 10 Japanese black-belts (so nice):

DemonKing

So I watched Rear Window last night. And it's a pity it's been knocked out of the competition. Really good film, tense as f*ck at certain points such as when they are searching his apartment, and when he leaves and you hear him coming up the stairs . I love some of the camera syles Hitchock incorporates into it, such as the opening one where the camera kind of fly's out the window. It's a real novel concept being the fact it takes part pretty much all in one room, and you can see what's happening around in the neighboring flats, even if it's not related to the plot at all. It's a real hitchcock film straight off the bat, full of suspense keeps you on edge, highly reccomended to all.

Hoping to catch Vertigo next. (not literally)

Edited by DemonKing

Slamman
We got a big ass box of VHS's a while back with a lot of horror movies so heres one I watched the other night.

The House by The Cemetery ( Lucio Fulci's Masterpiece as it says on the case.)

I got to start by saying I found it funny as the movie started it said "Laserdisc PLAY" and I pulled out the tape and noticed the TDK EHG logo on it (the guy that sold it made a case/label and everything it seems.) It was a okay horror movie but the close ups in this movie are pure gold, it zooms into the faces or eyes of the characters like every 3 minutes atleast I remember laughing my ass off at one point when it zoomed into Normans eyes then to Ann's, her eyes looked to the sides then it zoomed in on the other womans eyes and then zoomed back into Norman's eyes. The music was extremely cheesy and you knew something was going to happen as soon as you hear a "DINGGGG!" The worst thing about this movie was the monster of a child named Bob (weird name for a kid) with a really f*cking annoying voice that made me hope he was the first to die. It wasn't a great movie but it was pretty damn enjoyable.

I also have another one of this guy's movies called The Beyond I may watch it and comment on it later on this week.

Well, dude, a Laserdisc can dub to anything, there's no copy protection whatsoever!! I love it for that alone as well.

It should look better then any VHS dub, but pro duppes look pretty good. Say what you must about analog, but I've seen some fine images...no complaints.

John McTeirnan directed Last Action Hero, also The 9th Warrior film not many saw. He also directed Die Hard with Bruce Willis. However, one should see his 1980s film NOMADS, I liked it so much, I bought a poster, which I rarely do!

epoxi
Watched Gran Torino last night...

Same here! I loved it, a bit slow moving to begin with, but it's all worthwhile. biggrin.gif

DemonKing

Right last movies I watched

Gangs of New York. Pretty good movie, not scorsese's best but still solid. Once again Day-Lewis is superb as the "butcher" and is really one cold sonnabitch. Some good supporting actors like John C.Reilly, Liam Neeson, Dicaprio etc. And the ending is pretty well done.

Batteries Not Included. A heartwarming tale from the 80's. It's your typical fare of people in trouble miracle happens. But still enjoyable, the CGI is relativley convincing and the story is alltogether solid. I very much enjoyed it.

makeshyft

I don't think that film employed CGI techniques -- most likely miniatures. Been years since I saw it, though.

TubbyJ

Wristcutters: A Love Story: Loved it. I think the characters and the ending are what did it for me. The intro's pretty cool, too (where Zia cleans his house and tidies up before killing himself). If you think about, for a suicidally depressed person, the worst thing for them after killing themselves would be going somewhere the exact same only a bit worse. The ending was really satisfying, made me smile.

Scanners: This could've gone the way of a cheesy B-horror movie very easily. But the f*cking amazing special effects (the exploding head scene=HOLY f*ckING sh*t DID YOU SEE THAT!!!), the music/sound effects (the noise when they 'scan' fits perfectly, creeps you out a bit), the direction by Cronenberg and Michael Ironside as Darryl Revok make it great. It's an example of when a great concept translates into an even better movie.

I have Eraserhead on my DVR, so I'm gonna watch that later on at midnight (one of those famous original midnight movies).

DemonKing
I don't think that film employed CGI techniques -- most likely miniatures. Been years since I saw it, though.

It's possible, one scene I thought it looked a lot like CGI, could well be miniatures though.

Anyway, I just finished up watching The French Connection. Very good movie from the 70's. Gene Hackman is perfect as the troubled cop "popeye", it's one of those movies where you keep wondering what's going to happen next. I believe it was adpated from the book which is based on true facts, so the ending would lead me to believe as well. Typical 70's blood SFX, but quite a gorey film actually. But still great nontheless Roy Scheider is great also as "popeye's" partner "cloudy", and also Fernando Rey is great as the french heroin smuggler.

oklp

chopper, was on last night on BBC2

Digital Warlord.

I saw Synecdoche, New York tonight. I was just not in the mood for that at all. I have no idea what was really going on. I found a lot in the film, but not nearly enough to be moved by it. Win some lose some.

Then went to the theater and watched Star Trek. I have not seen any of the Kirk movies or tv episodes. I've seen some Picard stuff. Anyway, really enjoyable film that I give 7.5/10 or so.

I actually didn't get the big praise for Bones in this. I have no real reference point though because I've only caught clips/bits of the old tv stuff. He seemed good, but not as awesome as I was expecting from all the stuff I'd read.

SaintJimmy

@oklp, yeah, Chopper's a pretty kickass movie.

I saw Observe and Report at the cinemas today (again). I could watch that movie over and over. I f*cking love it. It's definitely going into my top 10.

Okay, maybe top 15.

makeshyft
chopper, was on last night on BBC2

Thanks for the report, you tweeting thrush-ridden c*nt.

It's a great film, by the way.

Tweet.

TubbyJ

Watched Eraserhead last night. I knew going into it that it was going to be confusing, and I thought armed with that knowledge I'd be able to decipher what's going on, but for the most part I was wrong. Nothing really made since to me, like why the camera would hold on something for a bit longer, or why I was being shown something that seems insignificant. I guess in the end though, even given all the confusion, it's a pretty cool film. Lynch nailed that dream vibe down, because even though I was confused, like in a dream, it subconciously weirdly made since.

Also, the black and white with the empty environments and nothing but that white noise actually made me feel a bit cold. I don't think a movie's actually made me feel like there was a drop in temperature.

This is one of those movies that I'm gonna have to watch a few more times, not even to make sense of it really, just to experience it again. To anyone that hasn't seen it: it's a must-see if you're a serious fan of cinema.

Telumektar

Saw "Laitakaupungin valot" (Lights in the Dusk) yesterday, by Aki Kaurismaki, it's the story of a very simple man who works as a night-watchman in Helsinki, no friends, no family, nothing.

Some people could say it's a masterpiece about loneliness, love and the no-future idea.

I think it's one of the most boring movies I've ever seen, it's like a short-film story taken to a full length movie. I'm used to see ANY kind of movie but this one was just too much for me. I even fell asleep for 15 minutes (which had occured only with Artificial Intelligence and this film, in the last 8 years). After that I took my dog for a 10 minute walk, then I saw 10 seconds more and decided to go to sleep. Today I was told the ending (10 minutes after I decided to go to bed) and I'm happy I didn't stayed to see that.

I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, actually, I think it's a good movie, I just didn't like it, too cold.

JoeyLeone25

Film: Fighting

Opinion: Dito Montiel's film has been advertised as the 'Rocky of our generation', however I do believe they were referring to the fifth film in the Rocky franchise. Predictable, boring, tedious, lifeless are just a few words I could use to describe this film, but I really only need to use one; terrible.

Shawn MacArthur (Channing Tatum) is your typical working-class boy who is taken under the wing of an ageing con-man named Harvey (Terrence Howard) and given the opportunity to make his American dream come true by participating in various back-room bare-knuckle fights. Oh, and the stereotypical love-interest in the form Zulay (Zulay Henao) is also thrown into the mix. Now, despite this description describing various films from the last few years (never mind the last few decades), it contains three huge, jaw-shattering constraints:

1) Despite being named Fighting, the film ironically contains very little fighting or brawling in regards to its hundred-minute running time. And when we do get to see some face-bruising action, the Director seems to get incredibly giddy with the camera and what we are left with is some Paul Greengrass jerkiness that allows you to observe very little especially when the camera is thrown into the heart of the action.

2) Terrence Howard puts a little effort into his character and drags out a performance worthy of a film better than this, however Channing Tatum does not follow his lead. His stony expression and Brando-style mumbling is just plain annoying and unconvincing, yet he is the lead protagonist at the forefront of the film, and his performance drags the film down considerably.

3) Finally, Munic and Montiel's script has about as much weight as a feather and as punch as a fighter out-cold on the mat. We learn little about the characters until late into the film when there life stories seem to just be thrown around quickly to fill various plot-holes. While, the majority of the dialogue is just clichéd and cringe-worthy, most notably a scene at the end of the film that precedes the final fight sequence, which can only be described as hilariously idiotic.

Fighting is crime against cinema. It is a film which gives the audience absolutely nothing, yet takes from them their hard-earned cash in the form of their admittance fee. The only reason I can think why this film was distributed to theatres instead of being a straight-to-DVD affair, is down to the influence of having a star like Terrence Howard in the picture. Don't waste your time or money on this abomination.

DemonKing

@Joey, I saw the trailer for it and it looked pretty average, and from your review I won't be seeing it anytime soon. colgate.gif

And last film I watched was The Man Who Wasn't there. Another gem of a film from the coen brothers. I like the unique neo noir feel to it. Billy Bob Thornton is great as the drab Ed Crane, and good support from James Gandolfinie, Frances Mcdormand and Scarlett J. And some of the shots used where great like as Ed is heading to the chair the coens go for a shot of all the people viewing the execution's hair, which is certainly in place here, because even in his final hours it seem Ed is plagued by his dreary job . The movie had a real unique feel to it, and is certainly another good coen film, may not be for eveyones taste, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

SIKKS66

Watched The Warriors again last night, it was on ITV4 here in the UK. Still think the acting is rather wooden and the fight scenes are rather tepid at some points but it is a very enjoyable film. Some of the lines are still laugh out loud hilarious and the toilet fight scene with the Punks makes up for some of the let downs (the Baseball Furies fight was never as awesome as it could have been). James Remar (Ajax) is probably the films saving grace acting wise, but only just. Soundtrack is amazing.

Ciabatta

I saw Taken last night. I am not an action movie kind of guy unless it's a James Bond film or something with some substance behind it as well. As you have all seen from the trailers, Liam Neeson calls himself a preventer, some sort of secret agent who used to work in some sort of secret department for the United States Government. He knows how to use stealth, has a basic knowledge of most international languages, and other skills and abilities international secret agents would posses.

The only other major film star to act alongside Neeson in this film is Famke Janssen who plays his ex-wife who is now married to a multi-millionaire. She does a great job of playing the bitchy and conniving, almost evil ex-wife, Lenore, for all the parts we see her in.

As for the action in this movie, I liked it. Most of it was subtle and near-believable, there were some scenes that you could say that if it was real, it wouldn't happen like that. For the most part pretty good stuff. Mills' body count in the movie isn't as high as other action stars either, it remains at a fairly low level. For the most part, he either stuns or beats guys into submission he's out for his daughter and out for the blood of the main captor rather than the henchmen.

The dialogue in the movie is at a few points corny but tolerable. That corny dialogue mostly being in the beginning scenes and ending scenes. The movie really gets down to business when Mills heads off to get his daughter that's when the movie really lights up.

As a whole, the movie I thought was a great movie. I think it didn't receive the advertising it deserved where it could have and probably did beat out movies such as Paul Blart: Mall Cop or Notorious as a high grosser. Just a good action-movie to watch. I give it 8/10.

DemonKing
I give it 8/10.

Just too let you know, number ratings are banned here.

Anyway last movie(s), I've seen:

The Lost Boys.

Pretty good film here. Love the retro 80's beach setting, and here we've got some of the classic 80's actors, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Jason Patric and Kiefer Sutherland. While it felt quite lighthearted at times, it still had that slight jump factor to it. And also being the 80's, it had a great soundtrack to boot.

The Insider:

Great film from Michael Mann. Mann really did a good job here of giving the characters depth, showing them for all their faults but also their good sides. It's quite long, nearly clocking 2 hours and a half, but I think most of this time used here was crucial to the execution of the film. What I found funny about it was given the nature of the story, I didn't see one person throughout the film that actually smoked a cigarette, not on screen at least. I believe this was also based on true facts, in which it is quite amazing. A very good watch Indeed.

I think it didn't receive the advertising it deserved where it could have...

True, true, and it still managed to score 144 mill domestically, 220 mill worldwide. Nice run I say.

DemonKing

I watched Heartbreak Ridge last night.

Great acting from Eastwood as the reluctant to retite war vet, who ends back at his old base giving the new recruits a good hiding. Good plot structure, and some good sequences, it's all quite a bit lighthearted so it's not like other more heavy war films such as FMJ, Apocalypse Now, SVP etc. Reccommend to any fan of war films or Eastwood fans.

DeeperRed

I thought Taken was boring and generic as f*ck. I mean it was fun but there are far better action films that you can watch.

I also saw Airplane for the first time nervous.gif

I thought it was f*cking brilliant. Some jokes were predictable but the majority you just didn't see coming lol.gif I wish they still made films like that but alas they don't. I have been heavily advised to stay clear of Airplane 2.