4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

papanesta

Last Movie You've Seen

Crokey

Please post more than just the title. 

We don't need a War and Peace essay on the film, but at least give a couple of sentences of good and bad points and even throw in a rating if you want to, as long as you give some rationale.

Message added by Crokey

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

Well it was more of the big climax/reveal. And as that, it was lame.

Sorry for the obscenities. But its a stinker.

makeshyft

Don't be sorry - different strokes for different folks, really. It's one of the only films of his I like.

Slamman

I watched an ORION classic (RIP), on TV, Kevin Costner's No Way Out with Gene Hackman and Sean Young. Makes me wonder where Young is these days.

The plot maybe absurd, but it's good fun nontheless.

I like films like this where the pressure builds in the exciting climax

makeshyft
I watched an ORION classic (RIP), on TV, Kevin Costner's No Way Out with Gene Hackman and Sean Young. Makes me wonder where Young is these days.

The plot maybe absurd, but it's good fun nontheless.

I like films like this where the pressure builds in the exciting climax

yeah

haha

Voodoo
Makes me wonder where Young is these days.

user posted image

Hmm. I hear she's not drunk anymore, at least.

Slamman

Woody Harrelson looks so cool with those sunglasses on.

Agreed, he played the Natural Killer part rather well, I must say. Oliver Stone points out Woody's dad had a not so illustious career.

M. Night's work I tend to agree that Unbreakable is the biggest disappointment. I liked the Village most perhaps, it's very eerie, and the ending justification as to the haunted aspect, well, that's a big finale letdown right there.

Otherwise, it's fantastic. Signs was a fun movie, I liked that the alien was played out for real, rather then making it some other convention. Shymalan's forte and his driving ambition, as he stated in commentary is story telling, a good story brought to screen. He's just learning what works and what doesn't. But he sure started out strong with Sixth Sense.

Here's more objectivity...er, negativity?

http://www.theauteurs.com/topics/2196/comments

Edited by Slamman

Just watched Changeling. I've over the f*cking moon about this movie. Absolutely stunning all around. Fantastic directing, incredible acting, and a story utterly beyond belief. I actually got choked up quite a bit while watching. I had been putting off seeing this for so long, but I had to for a Psych class project, and I don't regret it one bit. Wow, simply wow.

Clint is one of the best directors ever, ever. I haven't seen The Reader, but I'd like to think Angelina was runner-up for that Best Actress oscar. She was so deserving man.

The actor playing the serial killer was also incredibly haunting. Looking forward to seeing him in future films. So yeah, this is now one of my favorite films. And John Malkovich remains my f*cking hero. Love it when assholes get their comeuppance in movies. So satisfying. And Mr. Burn Notice was also quite perfect, he made me despise him.

goodstuffrighthere.

Slamman

Well, I was at the pawn shop and bought "Tenacious D and the Pick Of Destiny", about to see that one. Last time I was at a theater, well, two times prior, it was showing as a trailer before the main feature, that had to be Snakes on a Plane, right?? Man, ages ago! haha

BTW, they have a new released collection of MasterWorks on DVD, worth a look see

DemonKing

Romper Stomper

One of Australia's rough diamonds. It seems to have quite a low budget, but still manages to deliever some good moments. The plot does get a little boring at times but certain scenes make up for this (The fight scene between the Asians and Skinheads and the end scene on the beach). You can notice crowe's acting is very different from his style of today, he is much more subtle in this movie than he is in his latest roles. Now that I've seen 3 different skinhead dramas based in 3 different countries, American History X, This is England and Romper Stomper, you can notice the difference in each one.

Final Verdict: 7/10

Digital Warlord.

Just finished Cannibal holocaust after watching Salo last weekend, two of the most controversial films ever made. As expected lots of rape, torture, and murder with a little unexpected (real) animal cruelty mixed in. Dehumanizing experience.

I highly recommend both.

33stradale

i saw crank 1 and liked it then i went to see the second expecting more of the same, i was right except it was toned up with profanity and nipple cutting and such... upset by this, the chick i went with decided to fukin walk out! if anyone goes to see it -don't take a 19yr old who thinks she's too "bubbly" for a bit o' pretend screen sex- and also write what happens in the second half because i was getting into it

JoeyLeone25

Just finished my Maya Deren collection and for reason ended up watching Marker's 'La Jetee' for the ump-teenth time.

Film: La Jetee

Opinion: Beautiful. Interesting. Revolutionary. Really something you have to watch three or four times to truly engage with. Watch it on GoogleVideo, it's only on for half-an-hour. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8...yUAw&q=La+Jetee

Slamman

Write what in the second half? Does that make sense? No

I last saw The Pick Of Destiny. I mentioned I was getting it prepped, loading DVD software to my laptop before hand! haha It wouldn't play at first, oddly. Anywho, Tenacious D fans, there won't be a dry eye in the house. I nearly cried as Kyle Gass was booed off stage at the sorority house party and didn't even get laid!!

Dio shows up early in the flashback sequence, which, makes you feel you're watching Twisted Sister's We're Not Gonna Take it video! hahaha Gotta love the casting though, very well done, somewhat subtle. cameos of Tim Robbins for one.

Meatloaf Oday plays dad here, and he can sing his part, of course!

I just found it seemingly too short, at the end. I wanted to see them go on and SLAY in the name of ROCK!!!

DemonKing

Easy Rider

A great film indeed. It was refreshing to see Jack Nicholson in one of his earliest screen roles. After seeing it I am surprised it didn't get nominated in top films competition, It has a story most of us I think can relate too (right slammy?), two buddies just taking life easy on the road, but being persecuted for it. Some of the scenes shocked me a bit as I didn't see it coming the forest scene and the end scene (which made my gut wrench), some very unique camera styles here such as merging two scenes together through flashing.

Final Verdict:

8.5/10

SIKKS66

Movie: Sideways

Opinion: Everywhere I go there's usually somebody raving about this film so I gave it a blast. Really, really funny and some top performances from the two leading guys. Also made me want to drink wine. Felt a tad bit too long but I think that's just cause I was tired. Highly recommended.

Slamman

Easy Rider

Final Verdict:

8.5/10

No disrespect to anyone involved, least of which, Dennis Hopper, who is deeply respected, but I've not seen Easy Rider, it's likely because I am not a biker. hahaha biggrin.gif

I am seen as a hippy, what with all my tree-hugging, but rest assured, I'm just a metal head, not a hippy!

I last saw A CIVIL ACTION with Travolta in the lead, and I have to say, damn good film on TV and seemingly really long.

The issue seems old by now, what with all the class action films so far, but it's still compelling... and TRUE!!

Actually, A Class Action is the law film with Gene Hackman I believe, so I nearly got those two confused in the video store recently.

hahaha

Anyway, I nearly purchased the 2 disc collection of The Mist, the Frank Darabont movie from a Stephen King story. I am not above watching horror, but owning it and repeat viewings? Typically no. It's not my genre of choice, but you don't see special editions cheap often, so should I invest in this one??

Edited by Slamman

DemonKing

Stand By Me

A great film. The whole atmosphere of it was so well executed. Four buddies on a trip to find a dead body. Sharing past memories and storys. Good to see faces like John Cusack and Kiefer Sutherland making appearances. The story itself was very heartfelt and warming. And the ending almost left a tear in my eye.

Final Verdict:

9/10

McLovin2404

Just saw Bride Wars (well bits and pieces of it at the cinemas with...you guessed it ---> My gf.

Too predictable right from the start for me. I'm over these chick-flix since the target audience are the chix themselves. The only thing you (a guy) will get from this movie is a pain nudge on the arm for your constant dozing off. Would love to hear a review from the opposite sex and hear what they say.

Digital Warlord.

Fast & the Furious 4: spectacular opening stunt scene and the rest of the movie was engaging. My first time seeing it...

Knowing: Highly suspenseful with more than one plot twist. The bonus was it wasn't your run of the mill plot plus it kept up the tempo throughout. Each scene tickled your curiosity because you never were sure what was going to happen next unlike many movies that seem too predictable.

The Chaser

Watch this movie. It's a Korean film already set for an American remake by the team behind The Departed, and Leo DiCaprio is supposed to star... Anyways, the plot's pretty killer. A dirty ex-cop turned pimp has 12 hours to track down one of his missing girls that's been kidnapped by a serial killer. Only the serial killer is caught in the first 20 minutes or so, adding a fresh take, so we already know the killer, but there's no proof to hold him in custody. He's a crafty dude. So Joong-ho has to track down the girl, Young-min, before the killer is released. Action throughout, really great acting, and a damn good story. It holds your attention and then some. The movie has a bummer ending, and I f*cking loved it.

realgoodstuffhere.

Bullet_Chris

Scary Movie 2.It is plain sh*t compared to 1,3 and 4.

Girish
Scary Movie 2.It is plain sh*t compared to 1,3 and 4.

You gotta be kidding me. 3 and 4 were waaaay sh*ttier than the first two. The fourth was the most pathetic Scary Movie ever! I was literally yawning halfway through the movie.

SIKKS66

RocknRolla

Pretty good. Not Guy Richie's best but not his worst. Gerard SPARTAA Butler and co. are pretty good in this and has some moments of genuine comedy. Hope they make a sequel.

Miller's Crossing

Not my favourite Coen movie but pretty decent. Kinda like The Godfather. Not really much I can say...

DemonKing

The Godfather Part 3.

While certainly not on par with Part 1 or Part 2, it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Al Pacino's acting is still top notch in this, although it's a different style from the previous Godfather installments, because his character is seeking redemption or suffering from guilt. Most of the old cast are gone, which is a shame of course, but that's how the story roles. You've still got good supporting roles from Sofia Coppola, Talia shire etc. The ending left me feeling a little gutpunched though.

Final Verdict:

7.5/10

Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Godfather part II

Bloody brilliant film, not as good as the original, but still, bloody brilliant film. I love how it plays as a sequel & a prequel to The Godfather. No doubt the best trilogy ever. inlove.gif

You can feel all of the emotion in the Godfather trilogy, the screen play is just so powerful it is unbelievable. In The Godfather I felt my heart sink into my stomache during the restaurant scene.

Final verdict: 9/10

note: The Godfather easily earns a 10/10 icon14.gif

Slamman

Edited my previous post with a question for the group, get back to me on that query! ^

I bought Last Action Hero replacing my original copy, it was only $4.

Paid a bit more for the deluxe box of the first Lord of the Rings film, I am also missing that one, might have been stolen from my storage. Anyway, the deluxe version is nice to upgrade to.

I am currently VERY eager to get FIRESTARTER on DVD, not sure I've EVER seen it used. I loved the film from day one. Barrymore is more then tolerable in it.

Hart

16 Blocks.

Could have had more action in it, the last half hour or so was just sentimental stuff between Mos Def (I think that's his name) and Willis.

It tried and failed to have some character development, especially between the so called ex-partners, now enemies. We didn't even see any bits of when they were together, how do I know if they're good mates or not?

I tuned in thinking it would be an all out action flick, some cool chases/shootouts, bit disappointed to be honest.

Ronnyboy

Stripes

It's one thing to have an army comedy, but a comedy that has Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, and John Candy, well sign me up! It's like a dream of mine, the smartass Bill Murray mixed with an orderly army drill seargent, it's like pure opposite meeting comedy. Plus the fact I knew Ramis and Murray from Ghostbusters, it just made it easier for me to laugh at I think. Just seeing those two with the equally funny John Candy and his antics, I couldn't help but laugh through out that movie. It's a rare piece of cinema I don't think we will ever see the likes of for a long time.

Final Verdict:

9/10

Slamman

The box set of Lord of the Rings, watching several featurettes and docs from two discs that were released, the first one SE and Return of the King original single widescreen disc.

I have to say, Lord of the Rings is Star Wars for the past decade. It's amazing how much effort was put into this, that it even got made, and a shame it's author can never see the result.

The boxed set Appendices version has much more about JRR Tolkein then the original releases that I recall. Of all the DVDs I saw in the used bins, The Two Towers was EVERYWHERE, it was the most obvious used version of the three available. I wonder why anyone would do without all three???

papanesta

Final Verdict:

7.5/10

Demon, if even you're using a number rating, what chance has this topic got!?

Discussion is encouraged, and number ratings are as good as banned. Number ratings tell people nothing about the film.