3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption General Chat

beavis

I don't think so. The streamboat one says it brings outsiders into the territories, that it runs along the San Luis River and that Marston can ride on it. Seems pretty concrete to me.

Yup, you're right. Also, I just re-watched the first gameplay introduction video and the narrator refers to the 3 sections of the map as " 3 unique Regions ".

So we got Regions as the larger areas, broken up into Territories, then within those we've got towns.

Damn this is huge. I mean, its like New Austin is its own gameworld broken down into borroughs.... And then there are two other massive regions.

Commercial type vids, just like the Assassins Outfit vid are out for the golden guns and warhorse too. Pretty meh, though.

Can someone remind me...the map is similar in size to San Andreas, correct?

well, it seems like it's much bigger than we anticipated..

You dont really know that, We've only seen seen one map.

Its twice as big as San Andreas. New Austin alone is better than Liberty City.

I think we can attempt to give the map some scale, since we've seen the lake in a screenshot and we can see the size of that compared to the rest of the map.

Actually, for a size reference, you can pull up the Lake Don Julio and then the Map and grasp the size of the map.

The Lake pic looks to be the south side of the lake.

Edited by iceflow420

I think it's safe to say that the map is huge.

It will seem all the larger travelling by horse. Plus the numerous distractions along the way... hunting game, searching for treasure, tracking bandits, random events and activities, etc... will make it a massive world.

I really appreciated the features they added to TLAD and EFLC that kept unlimited gameplay a possibility after the storyline was completed. (ie: gang wars & drug wars... plus other side missions like club management that were suited to the protagonist.) Also the option to replay missions in EFLC was brilliant, I'm hoping that the journal is a clue to a similar feature in RDR and we're able to replay any mission after the game is finished.

Thats trickier to tell. It would be handy if we knew if it was a sunrise or sunset.

Thats trickier to tell. It would be handy if we knew if it was a sunrise or sunset.

Yer right, impossible. Wish there was a HUD with the "N" arrow on one of'em.

I opened both shotsup beside each other and searched for similar landmarks, but came up with nothin...

Thats trickier to tell.  It would be handy if we knew if it was a sunrise or sunset.

Definitely a sunset. The differences between a sunrise and a sunset are the effects casted upon the clouds. In a sunrise when the sun peaks from behind the horizon, a golden orange will spatter across the clouds, illuminating them like a glowing furnace. During a sunset, you'll see vibrant hues of pink, red and violet painted across the clouds as you can see in the image.

If you're going to say we wouldn't be able to tell because it's just a game, then I got news for you. In a interview with Houser he stated:

"We can now get these environments that look beautiful, have dust particles coming up, have rays of sun coming through cloud. You simply couldn't have done that before in a big setting. You might be able to do it over a very narrow, not very interactive environment but then that doesn't feel like the West.

Source

Thats trickier to tell.  It would be handy if we knew if it was a sunrise or sunset.

Definitely a sunset. The differences between a sunrise and a sunset are the effects casted upon the clouds. In a sunrise when the sun peaks from behind the horizon, a golden orange will spatter across the clouds, illuminating them like a glowing furnace. During a sunset, you'll see vibrant hues of pink, red and violet painted across the clouds as you can see in the image.

Ok, so you're saying this one is a sunset, and this one is a sunrise?

Edited by dabaannz

Well, here it is... actual proof that this map is one huge Mutha F*cka.

This is a capture of the HUD from the Weapons & Death video at 2:17. I've turned it so north faces up, and found that it fit perfectly with this section of Lake Don Julio... (sorry for the poor quality)

user posted image

This also gives us an example of the size of the HUD compaired to the map so we might be able to find other areas.

Ok, so you're saying this one is a sunset, and this one is a sunrise?

Exactly.

They could both be either. Sunrises are usually lighter and less colorful due to dust (which causes the brilliant colors) having settled during the colder night. Though dust storms or other natural activity could counteract that. Same with sunsets.

I've seen each one be dark and deep or light and washed out. There's really no way to tell from the pictures unless we can find out which way is north.

edit:

@dabaannz:

Good eye!! Man, this map is huge! I love this game more and more every day inlove.gif

You dont really know that, We've only seen seen one map.

Yeah, we have seen one of 3 maps!.. if the 2 remaining maps are just as big, then it'll be bigger than i anticipated turn.gif

user posted image

That's excellent, I`ve been cutting out the minimaps from the weapons&death video for a couple of hours now, the size of the objects in the hud are constantly changing as the hud pans in and out. Very nice find!

That's excellent, I`ve been cutting out the minimaps from the weapons&death video for a couple of hours now, the size of the objects in the hud are constantly changing as the hud pans in and out. Very nice find!

Damn, I was hoping the HUD size remained consistant. I have a map file with a circle on a seperate layer that matches and represents the hUD size from that one second of gameplay, and thought it would be soo easy to move it around and find locations compaired to the videos, but guess it'll be a bit trickier then that.

Wow dabaannz, that is fantastic! Do you have a screenshot of the gameplay to go with it? It could get us a better context of the lake size. If we can figure out just how big the lake is/looks then we can start to wrap our heads around the entire map.

Yeah, the minimap changes size. You can resize them to compensate though, so its not too bad. Joseph managed to map Chuparosa with minimaps.

This map business is conjuring memories of IV speculation back in '07. inlove.gif

Edited by Supreme.

Wow dabaannz, that is fantastic! Do you have a screenshot of the gameplay to go with it? It could get us a better context of the lake size. If we can figure out just how big the lake is/looks then we can start to wrap our heads around the entire map.

Yeah, the minimap changes size. You can resize them to compensate though, so its not too bad. Joseph managed to map Chuparosa with minimaps.

Sure Ben, here are a couple...

user posted image

user posted image

You get a basic idea of scale, but the video footage does a better job of showing how far across he's looking to the other side of the lake...