3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption General Chat

beavis

Ok, I decided to dust off my PS3 just to play it again, God the ambient music hit me in the nostalgia it captures the western setting perfectly... oh and I almost forgot about Leigh Johnson... such a great character and one of the most sane persons John encounters.

JetNormalGuy

I miss playing as RDR1 John Marston, he is an annoying idiot who's trying tact as an Arthur placeholder which makes him less badass and more idiotic. 

billiejoearmstrong8

Goddamn Tall Trees is a scary place. Currently trying to kill a bear with a melee knife there lol. Love it though. The landscapes in this game are incredible.

I like that place too...with a knife lol...

billiejoearmstrong8
20 hours ago, Payne said:

I like that place too...with a knife lol...

It's one of the hunting challenges. I did it! Blasted its legs with several shots from a high powered rifle and finished it off by running around slashing at it while it tried to eat me lol. F*ck bears and also f*ck cougars who always give me jump scares pouncing on me from behind.

Just going around hunting and gathering herbs is really fun, I can do it for hours. Riding a horse is cool, great views, loads of different animals, and because there's infinite random events that pop up frequently and constant danger from wildlife it's always exciting and entertaining. And again I always feel a sense of creepiness, the music and messed up things you can run into add to this. I came across a guy sobbing over the body of his wife who'd been killed, who then pulled out a pistol and shot himself in the head. Like damn, some dark stuff in this game.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

I sometimes do random hunting.

Howdy.

I have a strange request to make. See, I'm trying to gather information to complete the game script for the main storyline of RDR (you can download the document here: http://depositfiles.com/files/wlytznlrc).

Unfortunately, I don't have the game anymore so I have to rely on videos to find some pieces of dialogues. As it appears, in the mission Man is Born Unto Trouble, John and Irish are having a discussion that I can't seem to finish.

John is in a middle of a sentence ("I saved your life and you repayed me by lyin', nearly gettin' me killed" - the lack of a final point and the way this line is voiced suggest that the sentence continues) then it shifts to another conversation when they divert from the road in order to reach Gaptooth Breach.

I saw tons of videos and I never saw the end of that sentence.

If a good soul could help me, I would be most grateful.

billiejoearmstrong8
3 hours ago, Alexlecj said:

Howdy.

I have a strange request to make. See, I'm trying to gather information to complete the game script for the main storyline of RDR (you can download the document here: http://depositfiles.com/files/wlytznlrc).

Unfortunately, I don't have the game anymore so I have to rely on videos to find some pieces of dialogues. As it appears, in the mission Man is Born Unto Trouble, John and Irish are having a discussion that I can't seem to finish.

John is in a middle of a sentence ("I saved your life and you repayed me by lyin', nearly gettin' me killed" - the lack of a final point and the way this line is voiced suggest that the sentence continues) then it shifts to another conversation when they divert from the road in order to reach Gaptooth Breach.

I saw tons of videos and I never saw the end of that sentence.

If a good soul could help me, I would be most grateful.

I'll see if I can get to hear more of the conversation when I play later

• Like 3

ROCKSTAR MANIC

I know this is a reach, but since its the only active place. Anyone down for some achievement hunting for xbox 360.. msg me.

billiejoearmstrong8

@Alexlecj I replayed it a couple of times and I'm pretty sure that's the full amount of dialogue. The speed you travel at is set by Irish with John just following so there isn't any way for there to be more time between when he says that line and when they turn off the path and new dialogue starts (if you slow down or get in his way you hear even less of the dialogue since it makes Irish say hurry up etc). Pausing and looking at the written out dialogue under "Brief" doesn't show anything else either. I think it's meant to be the final comment, and Irish just chooses to switch to talking about what they're doing rather than continue the conversation.

billiejoearmstrong8

That ending 😭. I already knew what was going to happen to John but I didn't know it would be so abrupt! Literally just doing happy ranching/hunting missions with your family, no build up or hints of anything bad coming and BAM, one devastating final mission. I think the most tragic part is through the story so many characters (including pretty much every "stranger" character) have been deluding themselves about something before being faced with harsh reality. And now we see that John is among them, imagining that he could leave his old life behind and have a happy family. All that talk of Jack having a different life only for him to end up exactly the same all alone and literally taking over John's role only three years later, it's heartbreaking. Incredible game.

Gonna have to get used to playing as this kid. Don't know what thread it was in now but I saw someone mention that it can be cool to leave lots of the side missions until the end so you can play a decent amount of stuff as him, and also that there's different dialogues for some of it. I already did pretty much everything I could as John this first time (once I finish off the couple of Jack things I'll be at 100% and I've done most of the single player achievements) so I'll definitely try that whenever I next play through it.

• 2 weeks later...
billiejoearmstrong8

The game's soundtrack is incredible. New favourite background music

ROCKSTAR MANIC

I was playing multiplayer gang matches yesterday on its 10 years. And Ive noticed some players have sort of automatic firing trigger that makes even the cattleman revolver feel like a high powered pistol. I'm like the game is old as f*ck and people are still cheating to have the upper hand. Even called out some guy on it, denied it but you could see it as plain as day. Had a hard time enjoy this game. Seriously f*ck these script kiddies.

Dick Justice

Playing this game retrospectively after RDRII is fantastic. I enjoy how the new game brings light to John's journey and adds depth to Bill, Javier and Dutch that wasn't really there before. I'm not sure if this was intended at the time but, by capturing Javier and letting Reyes shoot Bill, John can complete his task without personally killing any of his former brothers. This is the new canon for me. 

Lemoyne outlaw
On 5/19/2020 at 5:12 PM, ROCKSTAR MANIC said:

I was playing multiplayer gang matches yesterday on its 10 years. And Ive noticed some players have sort of automatic firing trigger that makes even the cattleman revolver feel like a high powered pistol. I'm like the game is old as f*ck and people are still cheating to have the upper hand. Even called out some guy on it, denied it but you could see it as plain as day. Had a hard time enjoy this game. Seriously f*ck these script kiddies.

yea thats very sad. i have not played rdr1 multiplayer in a few years. but its just pathetic that such a great game that holds so many great memories is ruined by idiots like them. same thing happened to gta 4 and plenty other games. people just love to ruin other peoples fun.

• Like 1

Wish i never got rid of my One X, the urge i have to play this all over again...things are looking upward for RPCS3, though!

TheOriginalGunslinger

I wish we ran into Jake once more or twice as a Stranger mission later in the game.

10 hours ago, Dick Justice said:

Playing this game retrospectively after RDRII is fantastic. I enjoy how the new game brings light to John's journey and adds depth to Bill, Javier and Dutch that wasn't really there before. I'm not sure if this was intended at the time but, by capturing Javier and letting Reyes shoot Bill, John can complete his task without personally killing any of his former brothers. This is the new canon for me. 

Definitely agree. I gave Red Dead Redemption another playthrough after Red Dead Redemption II and it feels even more richer in terms of knowing the story more and stuff.

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

billiejoearmstrong8

Because I won't be playing RDR2 any time soon and I'm awful about spoiling things for myself I've looked up a bunch about it and John's backstory. Have to say even just doing that has improved my experience playing RDR a lot. I kind of wish we saw more of Dutch, Bill and Javier in RDR, without knowing more about them from RDR2 you see so little of them that it's like whatever, they're strangers. Should've seen more of them and less of comedic characters like Nigel West Dickens, Seth, Irish or Harold McDougal. I didn't mind the more light hearted stuff being included but given there's not a huge number of missions too high a percentage of them are about the sillier or less important characters. Only real criticism I have of the game.

brain_bank

Wish Red Dead Redemption 1 was on pc. Only way to play it on pc is to have ps now.

billiejoearmstrong8

Managed to climb to the highest part of the mountains in Tall Trees, higher up on Nekoti Rock than you'd normally get to. You can get there going up the side from the path that leads round past the river to the Cochinay entrance if you take it slowly on your horse. It's awesome! Big snowy mountain top to run around on and a great view. I also was able to climb down from there to the area of Cochinay you can usually only visit during that one mission with Nastas (since he has to give you a leg up to get you in and it's too high otherwise), nothing much there except the mining tunnel but it had annoyed me that it was inaccessible outside the mission so I was glad to make it there. 

Edit: Video that shows how to get to the top of the mountain

The combination of the beautiful and varied landscapes and the soundtrack keeps me coming back to Red Dead. Just simply riding around taking in the sights and sounds is great. Must be the best atmosphere I've experienced in a game. I love how so many random things can happen as well, like yesterday I'd just ridden across the rail bridge to Tall Trees and a dude stole my horse, two wild boars were nearby and when I whistled to get him bucked off they killed him, then a pack of wolves appeared, some going for the boars and some for me as I got back on my horse, and finally along came a train that squished half of them and I made my escape lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
billiejoearmstrong8

The sky/weather/time cycle in this game is amazing. I almost never fast travel anywhere because it's so nice to look at. Riding across Great Plains at night in a thunderstorm, wow. And the sun rising in Diez Coronas is the most beautiful thing I've seen in any Rockstar game.

Also the detail put into NPCs and their daily lives is incredible. I heard years ago how they each have a daily routine planned out and it's impressive to see it in action. Each place has its own set of NPCs, all with names and all with a set routine (instead of just being randomly generated or whatever). Like yesterday I came to the Pacific Union Railroad Camp around lunchtime and a bunch of people were sitting round a fire, one playing harmonica, another over at a stove cooking. Then at a certain hour they all got up and wandered back to work, all doing different jobs from sawing wood to hammering to moving sacks to using a lathe to cleaning a stable. And later they'd all stop and have dinner and go to bed, each one with their own place to sleep each night. And that's just in one little camp, similar scenes happening anywhere you go. And it's a 2010 game! Brilliant.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Bob Loblaw_

I found this picture on a GSV video

:71lFlbL.png

It's an artwork/comcept art based on a promotional screenshot:

Spoiler

image_red_dead_redemption-12127-1780_000

The portfolio where the artwork came from was taken down by Rockstar, so does anyone have the other pictures from this portfolio?

• 2 weeks later...
Tails Prower

So bit of a random question and possibly most dumb thought I've had but I played Red Dead Redemption many moons ago before I became an online gamer.

I read over in RDR Online Next DLC thread suggesting multiplayer for the PS3 game still works so am wondering if this is true? I know it will most likely be dead or require to play with friends who have the game but I presume I may still be able to achieve

some of the trophies running around online solo?

Any answers appreciated before I start wasting my time!

13 minutes ago, Tails Prower said:

So bit of a random question and possibly most dumb thought I've had but I played Red Dead Redemption many moons ago before I became an online gamer.

I read over in RDR Online Next DLC thread suggesting multiplayer for the PS3 game still works so am wondering if this is true? I know it will most likely be dead or require to play with friends who have the game but I presume I may still be able to achieve

some of the trophies running around online solo?

Any answers appreciated before I start wasting my time!

Still working and full of players.

• Like 1

Tails Prower
37 minutes ago, tonko said:

Still working and full of players.

Thanks! I guess I may take a look then, whilst the drought continues for the modern PS4 games getting new content i'm filling in time by catching up on 'to do' trophy stuff on my PS3.

• 2 weeks later...
billiejoearmstrong8

I was hunting in Tall Trees, it was dark and I was going to call it a night but then a big storm started and I didn't want to miss it. First of all the storms are awesome and feel so real. The rain genuinely feels so heavy and I like how John/Jack will comment when it starts, and how they can go on for a decently long time (in this case all night and most of the next day). And second, bear hunting in the forest at night during a storm with the clouds, rain and thunder making the bears not only hard to see but also almost impossible to hear is the scariest thing you can do in this game lol

• Like 2

It's always fun to get mauled half to death and bust a wind sprint to the nearest cabin. I like to save the property up there for Jack and pretend to be a hermit post game, completing hunter challenges.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
billiejoearmstrong8

I keep finding new cool details. For example I just found out there's a working winch/lift at the mine at Gaptooth Breach. I arrived from the north wearing the treasure hunter outfit so didn't even start off a gang hideout thing, you go in the building next to the tall structure/shaft that goes down into the mine from above and you can turn on the winch. Then it'll keep going up and down and you can jump in and get a lift to the bottom, and up and out again if you wait around for it to come back. Can open the treasure chest with over $100 in it down there without even doing the gang hideout. Don't know if there's a good way to incorporate it into a gang hideout battle or not, have to try it out.

Also found out you can climb all the way to the top of Repentance Rock (like, the proper climbing up animation on a series of ledges) and there's a good view and a chest up there. Usually too scared of cougars to do anything but ride past there lol. Can also climb up Del Lobo Rock and find a good view and a chest (not as impressive a climb though).

And I thought I knew all the different executions, but never knew before you can crouch and creep up on a sleeping person and slit their throat with your hunting knife as they lay in their bed! Knew you could do it to a hogtied person but that's a new one.