3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption General Chat

beavis

Just fuggedaboutit... forget about Mr. McCasker and his problems. The scandal will be long gone & forgotten. Still, Red Dead Redemption will be the greatest and most entertaining (western sandbox) game ever!!!

not to be an ass but isnt there only three or four western sandbox games?

Ultimate Prosecutor

What I noticed, was the size of the reticule differed from weapon to weapon, almost certainly as an indication to it's accuracy (shotguns had a large reticule, as opposed to pistols and rifles with a small one.)

Nice touch. Really lets you know what to expect from the weapon.

Yeah, I like how they've updated/simplified the reticule in RDR... there was no need for such bulky circles around the target dot in GTA4, but I did find the "simple" reticule from GTA4 perfect. I've grown accustom to it and hope they include an option like that in RDR too.

I'm pretty certain from the gameplay videos the only reticule we get is a circle with a dot in the middle. Nothing bulky, no health meters built in. Just a "Here's where you're aiming, and here's how accurate it is".

Only thing I can compare it to is the bowling mechanism in EA Cricket 2002 XD. The worse the bowler, the larger the placement marker. It can pitch anywhere in this mahusive circle. That's what I think the reticule size shows, the room for error.

I don't think we have to worry too much about accuracy deficits though. Looks like the weapons pack quite a punch, and there ain't no body armour as such. (Not that I found GTA IV inaccurate! I'm a total handgun nut, so just lined up headshot after headshot. If only Modern Warfare 2 was so easy!) I can't wait to line up four shots in dead-eye.

Shot 1: Gun out of hand

Shot 2: Hat off head

Shot 3: Centre of the chest

Shot 4: BOOM! HEADSHOT!

And to playing minigames with friends online? YES. Just yes. It could become the greatest Online Poker game, racing game, hunting competition, Bounty hunting race etc. The possibilities are endless.

user posted image

That screenshot almost reminded me of Borderlands.

Also, f*ck yeah for minigames in MP. But I'm hoping we can have some friend hangouts just like in IV. But there's no phone, so how do we contact them?

I'm also hoping for a horse race. The horses look really amazing. Even better than Assasin's Creed II horses

What I noticed, was the size of the reticule differed from weapon to weapon, almost certainly as an indication to it's accuracy (shotguns had a large reticule, as opposed to pistols and rifles with a small one.)

Nice touch. Really lets you know what to expect from the weapon.

Yeah, I like how they've updated/simplified the reticule in RDR... there was no need for such bulky circles around the target dot in GTA4, but I did find the "simple" reticule from GTA4 perfect. I've grown accustom to it and hope they include an option like that in RDR too.

I'm pretty certain from the gameplay videos the only reticule we get is a circle with a dot in the middle. Nothing bulky, no health meters built in. Just a "Here's where you're aiming, and here's how accurate it is".

Only thing I can compare it to is the bowling mechanism in EA Cricket 2002 XD. The worse the bowler, the larger the placement marker. It can pitch anywhere in this mahusive circle. That's what I think the reticule size shows, the room for error.

I don't think we have to worry too much about accuracy deficits though. Looks like the weapons pack quite a punch, and there ain't no body armour as such. (Not that I found GTA IV inaccurate! I'm a total handgun nut, so just lined up headshot after headshot. If only Modern Warfare 2 was so easy!) I can't wait to line up four shots in dead-eye.

Shot 1: Gun out of hand

Shot 2: Hat off head

Shot 3: Centre of the chest

Shot 4: BOOM! HEADSHOT!

And to playing minigames with friends online? YES. Just yes. It could become the greatest Online Poker game, racing game, hunting competition, Bounty hunting race etc. The possibilities are endless.

Same here, I never found much in the way of accuracy deficits in GTA 4s style of aiming at all, I found it very easy to line up headshot after headshot with both complex and basic aiming, so either one of the reticules would be fine for me. Of course there could be a mode in RDR where there is no reticule at all, possibly for the 'hardcore' gamer in particular, but something like that wouldn't bother me at all.

As to lining up the shots, it's always going to be a simple handgun/revolver 'El Presidente' for me:

Shot 1: In the chest

Shot 2: In the chest

Shot 3: Smack in the forehead/between the eyes

Not something that someone would easily get up from wink.gif I still want to quick draw a bear though! That would be so ridiculously cool, to have a bear charge at you, so you whip out the revolver and put it down right before it reaches you in wonderful slow motion. I imagine it'd be hard to do, but it'd be sooo worth it.

As to the minigames online, I'm looking forwards to a lot of them. I just hope I can find some cans on a fence somewhere to practice my quick draw wink.gif

ryanhunter_rfc

anybody still thinks the video is up for today?

Nope

http://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/11734266967

Oh well, what's 1 day compared to 41 days, 24 minutes & 16 seconds, 15, 14, 13...

can't believe it's only 41 days biggrin.gif I know i live in europe, but i've preordered the game, so i'll be getting it on the 18th aswell icon14.gif

Pre-ordered from where?

Do any of the people who are getting this on the 18th have anything to record RDR? biggrin.gif

Nope

Oh well, what's 1 day compared to 41 days, 24 minutes & 16 seconds, 15, 14, 13...

can't believe it's only 41 days biggrin.gif I know i live in europe, but i've preordered the game, so i'll be getting it on the 18th aswell icon14.gif

Pre-ordered from where?

Do any of the people who are getting this on the 18th have anything to record RDR? biggrin.gif

Yes. moto_whistle.gif

pmsH091.png

Nope

How are you going to be getting it on the 18th if you live in Europe? Does the place you order from send out games with the US release date? Because here in Europe its official release date is the 22nd or 21st I forget.

Nope

Pre-ordered from where?

from gamezone.no a norwegian site for gamezone tounge.gif

don't get it on the 18th tho, sorry.. but the day after sigh.gif

Nope

How are you going to be getting it on the 18th if you live in Europe? Does the place you order from send out games with the US release date? Because here in Europe its official release date is the 22nd or 21st I forget.

because they'll get the game early, they always do, and it takes one day to ship it to me, i live a couple of miles from them smile.gif

edit: sent a mail and asked when i'll get the game, and they responded: "confirmed in stock on the 18th, so you'll get it the day after;)"

Edited by Ares86

why dont they just release the game woldwide on the same day mad.gif

Not sure. I've wondered that myself. Can anyone else shed any light on this? I have a nagging feeling that there's a logical explanation that I'm forgetting...

The game's by rockstar are manufactured in America. Ergo, shipping takes about 3 days international.

kzgN7qp.png

Has R* announced anything about a demo? There wasn't one for GTA IV, but will there be one for this?

Has R* announced anything about a demo? There wasn't one for GTA IV, but will there be one for this?

the previewes played a demo, so i guess their is one

i just dont know if they"ll release it to the public

There will be no demo.

While I doubt this game takes place in the same universe as GTA IV, I'd love to see some references to Revolver to truly make this a sequel. Jack Swift and Shadow Wolf, for example, could be older, fleshed out and make minor appearances in this game.

Edited by Vercetti21

Ultimate Prosecutor

It's coming tomorrow according to the Official site.

Interesting to note:

user posted image

It's called the "Multiplayer Free Roam" gameplay video. More than one video coming on the MP topic I'll wager from that.

A little hint from the newsfeed: "Get the gang together: we’re going hunting."

GOOD!

In my years of following R*, I've never seen them release public demos. I just don't think it's part of their style.

The only hands-on previews are held in private with members of the press, typically under close supervision.

pmsH091.png

Cool!

"Take-Two CEO Ben Feder has said that he expects downloadable content for Red Dead Redemption "to innovate around the DLC business model", revealing that the success of GTA IV's Episodes From Liberty City and Borderlands' expansion packs has given the firm "a tremendous insight" into DLC.

"You can expect Take-Two to innovate around the DLC business model with other key titles, including BioShock 2 and Red Dead Redemption."

Episodes from The West? You heard it here first."

http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/news/red-dea...mption-dlc.html

Great to hear that it looks like there'll be more then one multiplayer video... too many questions around how it's going to function so I'm stoked they aren't trying to fit it all into one vid.

Thanks Kayook: Looking forward to more info on the DLC. Although I know info won't surface for a long time, it will be interesting to see what they have planned. Hope they don't plan on making it exclusive to one console.

Ben Feder has said a few times that there is going to be DLC for RDR.

I hope they have the one-liners back in RDR, the biggest loss to TLAD & BOGT MP

"AGH! My leg!"

I'm very stoked for the video tomorrow.

Likewise.

As to DLC I think it'll be very interesting to see what they can come up with. If they follow GTA's style of DLCs, then character development with new ones, linked into old ones will be quite interesting indeed, so watch out for recurring (but not too often) characters in the main RDR story wink.gif

I somehow doubt they'd have a demo though, it just wouldn't work I don't think and in a way if I played it I think it would spoil it a bit for me because I'm so hyped about the game. A classic comparison being with Just Cause 2. I'd seen it in magazines etc. Played the demo, which I thought was very good in terms of allowing you to see what gameplay there was, but it sort of took the edge of the excitment of the game away and I'd be very disappointed if the same happened with RDR.