4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Windows 7 Beta

nemesi5

Source

Who's excited? They're only allowing 2.5 Million downloads, so you better hurry biggrin.gif

That is bogus info, they're not only offering 2.5 million downloads.

Additionally, you cannot hotlink to that page. You'll need to access it from www.microsoft.com/windows

How is it going to be held? Is it going to replace your current OS? Is it going to automatically become a dual-boot with an easy to figure out menu to decide which OS to boot? A lot of people are too stupid to understand how to have 2 OS.

Lol you should check some of the videos on the windows 7 site..Especially the touch screen vid...Man cant wait to get my teeth into this.

How is it going to be held? Is it going to replace your current OS? Is it going to automatically become a dual-boot with an easy to figure out menu to decide which OS to boot? A lot of people are too stupid to understand how to have 2 OS.

That's probably what they're hoping for, only people that can understand how to run two OSs on a single computer to download it, as they'll want educated testers and feedback.

If you are installing it alongside another OS you'll need to make a partition obviously. Otherwise you'll need a clean slate to start from.

I've already got 7, build 7000 which I'm assuming they'll be releasing. So I'm in no hurry to get it from MS.

Source

Who's excited? They're only allowing 2.5 Million downloads, so you better hurry  biggrin.gif

That is bogus info, they're not only offering 2.5 million downloads.

Additionally, you cannot hotlink to that page. You'll need to access it from www.microsoft.com/windows

Just to clarify for anyone, they are offering 2.5 million beta keys. With the beta keys the Windows 7 Beta will last until August 1, 2009, at which time it will not let you use the beta OS anymore. They will offer unlimited Beta downloads, however, if you don't get one of the 2.5 million beta keys, you can still use the Beta, but it will only last for 30 days. Of course, you can use the “slmgr –rearm” command, which, like with the Vista beta, will extend the 30 days to 120 days.

Read about this story earlier. Awesome. Perfect timing too as I was just about to 'acquire' the 7 7000 build from certain sources and was dreading the low speeds.

Now I can download at high speeds straight from MS biggrin.gif.

Edited by Warlord.
FIOszpJ.gif

Wonder if you can dual boot it with bootcamp yet.

7 Uses Vista drivers, so can you use Vista with Boot Camp? tounge.gif

90FHTZo.png

I was wondering if is it possible to have my current OS (XP Pro) dual boot with Windows 7. If so, how would I go about it?

Do I need to reformat my hard drive to add a partition?

What time will it be when the beta comes out? Its the 9th now..

Can someone tell me when exactly they will realese the public download? - (in which hour)

Kind of. You will be able to purchase the "upgrade" copy instead of the clean install, kind of like you can do now if you have XP. You can purchase an "upgrade" copy of vista for about a hundred bucks cheaper than the clean install.

I'm only running it on VMWare Workstation, so I can't get GPU functionality sad.gif

Does anyone have any reports on hardware manangement for both GTA 4 and other demanding games ( i.e FSX)?

More FPS, less FPS e.t.c

Thanks biggrin.gif

Can someone tell me when exactly they will realese the public download? - (in which hour)

Kind of. You will be able to purchase the "upgrade" copy instead of the clean install, kind of like you can do now if you have XP. You can purchase an "upgrade" copy of vista for about a hundred bucks cheaper than the clean install.

Pretty sure you quoted the wrong person.

As for when you can get it... I'm thinking it's out now. When I click the link it either says server unavailable or redirects me the Vista homepage for some reason.

I've been thinking about giving this a try for a while. Maybe I'll make a temporary partition for it some time this weekend.

Thanks for the Microsoft links, Kimd41.

I mainly just wanted a beta activation code, is it included in the download or do you need it e-mailed to you? I'm guessing they're all taken by now, anyways.

There's no activation required in the beta. I just read it from the news.

In fact... even if you do activate the product later on, it still has a timebomb built in as for August 2009 it will be unusuable, even if you activate it with a valid Windows 7 RTM activation code.

I've been thinking about giving this a try for a while. Maybe I'll make a temporary partition for it some time this weekend.

Thanks for the Microsoft links, Kimd41.

You can try it with VMware Workstation. It's like an emulator.

You're all welcome for the links wink.gif

You're all welcome for the links wink.gif

Yeah thanks, I was wondering why the hell I couldn't find it.

I'm confused though... will anyone who downloads it be able to use it untill Aug 09 or not?

oQywcQM.jpg

They removed the beta site sad.gif No worries, I hax their links!

Thanks a lot. Had so much sh*t to do today it pissed me off when I got home and it said that BS "thank you for your interest."

So are all the beta keys used up?

Could have sworn the Beta I acquired previously only lasted 30 days, but it hasn't reached 30 days so who knows, maybe it'll still work after that.

I'm downloading the one with the link Kimd provided. Sadly I'll have to go through all the set up BS, but this file is about 0.2GB bigger, so my guess is it might have a couple more things in it.

And now I'll be able to talk about it freely here lol.gif

The best new features by far is the peek thing, I love it. And it does run with less RAM and seems quicker over all, than Vista at least. And it only has about 30-45 processes running at once, where as Vista has generally at least 68 running for me.

Lol you should check some of the videos on the windows 7 site..Especially the touch screen vid...Man cant wait to get my teeth into this.

Remember that you need to have a Touch Screen Monitor to be able to have that function, it won't transform your monitor in a touchscreen.

I'm getting my hands on it... Definetelly.

ZMzAOnZ.png