3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

ENABLE GTA to use system ram for VRAM

psx2p

This really doesnt work, i should know since i got 8Gb of memory so in theory i should benefit from this which i dont. I get the same FPS as i do without the multiplier.

And ignore the people saying they get 7fps more, which is probably true because GTAIV varies around 5-6 fps all the time while playing. So in some cases you get 40 fps and in some areas 46 fps. Using ram for vram is techinical impossible.

well f*ck me.

i got a 256mb card and 2gb ram.

game froze when i set multiplier to 2.0

I still had 350mb ram free after the tweak.

back to square 1.....

damn ! When i turned off virtual memmory my system f*cked up . Always some Application error , some errors that my system don`t have much memmory

OMG

damn ! When i turned off virtual memmory my system f*cked up . Always some Application error , some errors that my system don`t have much memmory

OMG

turn it back on and reboot, and everything will be back to normal

Don't turn of the pagefile, whoever told you to do that is an idiot.

If you have more than 1 hard drive (Not partitions of the same drive) I highly recommend installing the game on a separate hard drive and adding a second pagefile to the drive. Set the page file to 2 or 3 times the amount of ram you have.

This is a proven technique gamers have been using for years, and it does help with performance issues... I got rid of the stuttering on this one after adding the extra pagefile... New system a few months ago and had been running every other game perfectly until GTA IV... and I'd simply forgotten to do it.

can someone explain better?i put the text file commandline on the gta folder but nothing happends ,my memory is still the same !!!! help!!!!:devil:devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

can someone explain better?i put the text file commandline on the gta folder but nothing happends ,my memory is still the same !!!! help!!!!:devil:devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

Your GTA 4 folder should look like this, with the commandline file (its a txt file) inside it.

user posted image

Inside the commandline.txt, you should have this command (opening it with notepad) :

-availablevidmem 1.5

The 1.5 multiplier can be edited to any value you may want to try. After having the commandline file inside GTA 4 folder, just like in the pic, start game, and check in Graphics options, your VRAM should have been increased.

thanks man but does not work ,i have it exactly like that and inside the command text i put: sad.gif -availablevidmem 1.5

What OS?

If you have more than 1 hard drive (Not partitions of the same drive) I highly recommend installing the game on a separate hard drive and adding a second pagefile to the drive. Set the page file to 2 or 3 times the amount of ram you have.

This is a proven technique gamers have been using for years, and it does help with performance issues... I got rid of the stuttering on this one after adding the extra pagefile... New system a few months ago and had been running every other game perfectly until GTA IV... and I'd simply forgotten to do it.

Really? I was always told to set it to no paging file. What would one set it to for say 3gigs of memory?

thanks man but does not  work ,i have it exactly like that and inside the command text  i put: sad.gif  -availablevidmem 1.5

What OS?

i have vista 32 and the steam version,,,,it wont work

thanks man but does not  work ,i have it exactly like that and inside the command text  i put: sad.gif  -availablevidmem 1.5

any tips on how to make it work?

If you have more than 1 hard drive (Not partitions of the same drive) I highly recommend installing the game on a separate hard drive and adding a second pagefile to the drive.  Set the page file to 2 or 3 times the amount of ram you have.

Really? I was always told to set it to no paging file. What would one set it to for say 3gigs of memory?

1 or 2 GB should be a decent setting. I leave mine at 2GB and I have 2GB of RAM. Turning it off can cause issues, especially if you only have 1GB of RAM.

Anyway I'm now running GTA 4 with "-availablevidmem 3" and it seems to have sorted out some glitches I was having with things not being loaded properly (my video card is an old Geforce 7800GT 256MB). So thanks for posting this thread smile.gif

The game is now pretty much free of those nasty visual glitches. Performance is still crap at times, but that's to be expected with a card that's below the minimum requirements for the game.

1 or 2 GB should be a decent setting. I leave mine at 2GB and I have 2GB of RAM. Turning it off can cause issues, especially if you only have 1GB of RAM.

It will always cause issues as windows is designed to constantly write some stuff to hdd. Even if you have plenty of RAM (like 4+ GB) it will need the pagefile.

any help???? suicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gif

Sry dude, i dont know why it isnt working for you, since you have a txt file called commandline inside the GTA 4 folder, and there is the correct commnad inside the file, it should work.

confused.gif

If you have more than 1 hard drive (Not partitions of the same drive) I highly recommend installing the game on a separate hard drive and adding a second pagefile to the drive.  Set the page file to 2 or 3 times the amount of ram you have.

that's complete bullsh*t.

set pf to 3x ram? that would mean you need a 9gb pagefile. absurd.

you don't need that much if you have a sh*tload of memory.

the pagefile degrades gaming performance from constantly having to chug the hard drive.

You can get an idea of how terrible the performance is when you have only 512MB of ram and try to play a game. notice how your hard drive is constantly chugging because it has to keep dumping to the hard drive.

RAM is 100000x faster at transferring data than the hard drive.

if you have tons of memory, and turn off pagefile, everything stays in the RAM, and is read/written from RAM, so you get no hdd chugging until textures and other data needs to be uploaded to ram.

i have 2gb ram, and i rarely run more than a few programs simultaneously, and i never get memory errors.

of course, if you run a lot more programs simultaneously, you'll need more ram if you wish to keep the pagefile turned off.

snip

your thoughts < than thousands of menhour work at microsoft.

case done.

Edited by qwertz123

the guy that sed ignore those who say you get 7fps boost. .....seriously? so you can sit at your computer and tell me and others that were lying? your logic is garbage.

I have a 8800Gt 512Mb card and 2Gb of DDR2 800Mhz RAM.What multiplier should i use?I'm not really into this kind of thing...thanks for the help.

I have a 8800Gt 512Mb card and 2Gb of DDR2 800Mhz RAM.What multiplier should i use?I'm not really into this kind of thing...thanks for the help.

Try 1.25 or 1.5, you may edit later if you want.

can someone explain better?i put the  text file commandline on the gta folder but nothing happends ,my memory is still the same !!!! help!!!!:devil:  devil.gif  devil.gif  devil.gif

Your GTA 4 folder should look like this, with the commandline file (its a txt file) inside it.

user posted image

Inside the commandline.txt, you should have this command (opening it with notepad) :

-availablevidmem 1.5

The 1.5 multiplier can be edited to any value you may want to try. After having the commandline file inside GTA 4 folder, just like in the pic, start game, and check in Graphics options, your VRAM should have been increased.

the steam version does not look like this,,,does not work for me devil.gif

Interestingly enough, after checking my commandline this was one of many additions I made a while ago that seemed* to eek out a couple of frames extra.

It must be noted however that going into the carwash and watching my more than capable pc crawl to 17FPS, was somewhat disheartening.

60FPS benchmark, can turn into 17 FPS actually ingame!

*Thing is my performance monitor app, shown memory, CPU and GPU to be only utilising no more than 1/2 to 2/3s of it's available resources.

Edited by LSD T

so is the consensus that this is more or less working or not?

I have an 8800 GTS 640 meg and wouldn't mind doubling that out of my 4 gigs of ram.

[email protected] at the moment, can OC stable at 3 with current setup

4x1gig ddr2 800

8800 gts 640

asus p5n32-e sli plus mobo

edit: vista ultimate 64

I bought it yesterday and haven't acctually gotten the game to play yet because my card is on its way back from an rma and my x800xl doesn't support sm 3.0 in addition to being quite a bit older than minimum card so it wont start the game. Would I even need the tweak with my card, it has held up against just about any other game, only waffling a bit when maxing out crysis or company of heroes(after screen fills up with units) but I hear this game is a bit of a different story.

Edited by DRMetzger
Evilhomer87

doesnt work here.. got vista 32. did excact thing as picture..

EDIT> worked as soon as .txt removed from the name.

hookers bottoms are round? wow!

for 256mb card users. dont mess with the 800x600.. else lag..

you can set high/medium instead of low/medium

Edited by Evilhomer87

I just tested this and yes it does allow me to set things on Highest and my View distance to 100 but it's not worth it. The Pop in effect is ridiculous. I'm happy running it on Med Texture quality High Render, 50 view distand and 50 view detail at 28 fps