~! Ultimate GTAIV Performance Fix !~

MonkeyMhz

Deleting the settings folder and making sure to reset all settings did nothing again. Same fps averages. Was a good idea while it lasted for me. Just wish R* would let us handle the resolutions textures are instead of scaling it for us.

I have a really weird problem, I don't know what it is.

I'm not sure what it has to do with but every time I start the mission Payback from Pegorino where I have to go to the diner to chase and kill those Ancelotti guys I get to the diner and stop at the marker, it starts loading the next part but it never finishes loading and I can't really do anything. It doesn't freeze up or anything it just never loads the next part. I don't know what to do.

Anyone think they can help?

Edited by ircmaster

thanks to the topic starter, after playing 49+% of the game on a 5fps(raining, night skies on any lighter bridge while driving) to 10fps (highest when watching tv) it became to 12~22! Thanks thanks thanks!

I am running 2.2 CoreDuo with 256MB card~ lol so glad!

nice, and it works.

sad day when the community has to optimize the game for them.

i mean its nice knowing that everyone is trying hard to make the game work for them, as patches don't get released so fast..

waiting for prices for cpus, gpus and mobos to drop! i am going now to buy the ps3 version of gta4. suicidal.gif

Edited by StingRhea

I have a really weird problem, I don't know what it is.

I'm not sure what it has to do with but every time I start the mission Payback from Pegorino where I have to go to the diner to chase and kill those Ancelotti guys I get to the diner and stop at the marker, it starts loading the next part but it never finishes loading and I can't really do anything. It doesn't freeze up or anything it just never loads the next part. I don't know what to do.

Anyone think they can help?

I have this problem once but i don't think it's the same mission as yours. Anyway, i get past the loading by alt-tab to go to windows then alt tab to go back into the game, seems to work for me.

Gave it a shot and it ran about the same. An hour of fraps trying to do near identical scenes in both runs (one with change 1 with -norestrictions and maxed settings except view distance) and the results were...

Before the change suggested in this thread. (Did not include indoor performance as it means very little)

Max FPS outdoors - 48

Min FPS outdoors - 36

Average FPS outdoors - 40-41

After the change suggested in this thread.

Max FPS outdoors - 44

Min FPS outdoors - 37

Average FPS outdoors - 39-40

So for me at least this really made no difference in gameplay, benchmark remained unchanged. Slightly lower max FPS with this change and slightly higher min FPS but a very slightly lower average FPS. Now the major problem I had with it is the reflections on cars and on the road/sidewalk below most lights left very unrealistic reflections. All in all I went back to the command line and maxed settings the way I have been running the last couple weeks. Very very slight loss in average FPS and the annoying and unrealistic reflections on cars and below most lights on the streets drove me nuts.

Seems these changes help more with mid-lower end rigs and have minimal to no changes on some mid and most or all high end machines. Hard to say with such a small sample size tho.

Spec's

E5800 @ 4Ghz

4GB Patriot PC-8500 @ 1066

4870 512MB @ 790 / 1100

Vista 64

I have a 8800 gts 320 mb

I made commandline.txt with inside -availablevidmem 2.0, then I started the game, res 800x600 and set what I wanted (the memory usage was 591/593).

Then I added -height 1024 -width 1280 -availablevidmem 0.57 in the commandline.txt, I started the game and it was like crap, everything in low and things like that, but the resolution was 1280x1024... I did something wrong?

Ah, I forgot to say that I don't have any -norestrictions, -nomerestrict or things like that

Min FPS outdoors - 36

I just don't understand how you get this. I'm running it on

1680x1050

detail 50

draw distance 40

textures medium (if I set to high I get better performance but with a lot of pop-up lol.gif)

rendering very high (practically no impact comparing with high)

My average framerate between 35 and 40 (as provided from fraps), maxing out on 49-50 (outdoors) with dips to 12 FPS. This happens on a random occasion and has NOTHING to do with stuff going on. For example, I'm in Roman's garage and getting into one of his cars, the camera looks down and the game practically stalls for a second or two. During car chases I get something like 24 to 30 FPS.

All the time in game doesn't seem very smooth. It jerks around more then other games at same FPS. It doesn't make any sense.

My PC

4870 512 MB

C2Q 9300

4 GB RAM 1066 MHz

Interesting.

Well now i can use High Textures but sacfrice shadow adn reflection quality... but i keep abou teh same FPS and get no pop-in.

Not sure if it's wortht the trade yet, but thanks for your efforts.

BTW usign 8800gts 512mb

Min FPS outdoors - 36

I just don't understand how you get this. I'm running it on

1680x1050

detail 50

draw distance 40

textures medium (if I set to high I get better performance but with a lot of pop-up lol.gif)

rendering very high (practically no impact comparing with high)

My average framerate between 35 and 40 (as provided from fraps), maxing out on 49-50 (outdoors) with dips to 12 FPS. This happens on a random occasion and has NOTHING to do with stuff going on. For example, I'm in Roman's garage and getting into one of his cars, the camera looks down and the game practically stalls for a second or two. During car chases I get something like 24 to 30 FPS.

All the time in game doesn't seem very smooth. It jerks around more then other games at same FPS. It doesn't make any sense.

My PC

4870 512 MB

C2Q 9300

4 GB RAM 1066 MHz

Not entirely sure. There are a few things you could try if you already haven't.

-Force Vsync off at the CCC panel

-Check CPU affinity to make sure its running all 3 threads on 3 separate cores. I've seen a few quads only using 50% because somehow only 2 cores were enabled for the game

-This tip I picked up on the 3dguru forums and believe it or not it works (a bit). If you run vista go to control panel - system - performance - advance tools. From there look for a little yellow exclamation mark at the top under "performance issues". Quite a few 4870 and 4870X2 users have one there that reads something to the effect of "consider lowering visuals to increase performance". If you have this click on it, there should be 3 options, help followed by an option I forget followed by ok. Click the middle option and it will ask for permission, accept and it should vanish. Don't touch actual windows visuals. As crazy as that sounds, I did it a few weeks back before GTA4 was released and it bumped most of my games FPS up by at least a few, some as much as 7-8FPS, some games tho nothing changed, depends on the game. Seems to be some sort of vista bug with either the cards themselves or the drivers.

Beyond that I'm not sure, I will add that the PC is very new (only a couple months old now) so it has very little in terms of crap and clutter on it (Vista 64, necessary OS updates and drivers, video drivers and a handful of games and applications such as steam, eset etc..). I keep it very clean and in tip top gaming condition (no unessential software). Not that any of that will make or break it, but what I've noticed with this game is that every bit helps.

I don't notice any jerking or stuttering, something I'm very curious about as almost everyone posting here seems to complain of it, I find it odd that I have none. I'll do some testing this weekend when I finally get a day off and see if I can pinpoint why.

Thanks for response.

* I turned off vsinc with the command line but haven't forced it off in ccc (I'm using the latest version, of course).

* My CPU is loaded very unevenly. Two cores are at something like 80% max load, third at 60% and the last one about 30%.

* I'll try this tweak you mention

I tired the game both on Vista and XP and the performance is pretty much the same. Vista (32 bit ultimate) is a few months old, tweaked a bit and rather clean while XP SP3 install i so clean you could eat of it biggrin.gif I installed it on a separate partition just for this gig, to check with GTA IV (and some other games that cause fuss under Vista).

I wouldn't mind an average 30is FPS, even the 12 FPS dips wouldn't bother me (as they are rather rare), but this f*cking stutter and lag where ever I look is horrible. At moments is smooth and silky, but those instances are too fr and few to matter.

I was thinking about getting another two HDD and going with RAID 5 (this should put a cramp on that god damn pop-up). That would lead to a fresh Vista install also. Even though Vista works well, in other games I get a lot better performance then in XP (like 13-14 FPS more in COD4 at same settings) so I'm pretty confident it's not Vista's fault. Of course, I may have something installed that is crippling this cripple's performance.

Thanks R*, I'm having real fun with this sh*t. I played it for something like 12 hours and did 3 missions.

plz help me

wht should i put in the command.txt for the following specs

pentium d 3.00 ghz

2gbram

8600 gt 256 dd3

Read, it differenced on all systems. And i doubt you can run IV nice @ 3.0GHz. I have 3.2GHz and i only have 15FPS outdoors.

im going mad ....lol not sure what settings to run at , any ideas setup in sig totally confused to the .0???? setting running at 1400x900

a walk through and any help would be great i know i read the thread just got confused tia!

plz help me

pentium d 3.00 ghz

2gbram

8600 gt 256 dd3

Read, it differenced on all systems. And i doubt you can run IV nice @ 3.0GHz. I have 3.2GHz and i only have 15FPS outdoors.

hmmm... i have intel core2duo @ 2.0 Ghz and GTX 260, and 3GB RAM.

and I get 10 - 22 FPS outdoors.

C2D at 2 GHz and a GTX260, that meager 2.0 GHz is a serious bottleneck for your graphics card...

sleepy.gif

plz help me

pentium d 3.00 ghz

2gbram

8600 gt 256 dd3

hmmm... i have intel core2duo @ 2.0 Ghz and GTX 260, and 3GB RAM.

and I get 10 - 22 FPS outdoors.

What Vice said, to compare my 4870 is on par or slightly more powerful than your 260 (depending on its model) and even my 4Ghz core2duo bottlenecks my card in GTA4. Other games not so much but GTA4 requires a monster CPU to run well (my definition of well may differ from yours).

Thanks for the help – but it didn’t make any difference what so ever

So I took some inspiration from the classic 80’s movie Weird Science, and stuck some pencils up my nose – tied to the top of my head one of my wife’s bras and done some Voodoo chanting, but guess what ? Nether the 80’s sexpot Kelly LeBrock or decent GTAIV FPS materialized.

But seriously it was a workaround similar to this that made Gears of War payable long before Microsoft patched it , so all help is appreciated.

This does not work consistently or reliably at all, followed instructions multiple times but no dice.

available memory is set at 2.88 which gives my 480 MB visible HD 4850 1383 MB of RAM, just enough to get 100 on view distance / high textures at the lowest 16:10 resolution. Saved settings, exited game, added -height and -width into commandline, no other parameters other than the 2.88, and it shows 1680x1050 in my settings upon restart. All you say monkey is "Well you must be doing it wrong", well no, maybe your instructions are wrong or this doesn't work for everyone. We're not dumb asses here.

This does not work consistently or reliably at all, followed instructions multiple times but no dice.

available memory is set at 2.88 which gives my 480 MB visible HD 4850 1383 MB of RAM, just enough to get 100 on view distance / high textures at the lowest 16:10 resolution. Saved settings, exited game, added -height and -width into commandline, no other parameters other than the 2.88, and it shows 1680x1050 in my settings upon restart. All you say monkey is "Well you must be doing it wrong", well no, maybe your instructions are wrong or this doesn't work for everyone. We're not dumb asses here.

Maybe you should tone down your settings a bit.

Damn all these steps, feels good to pay 50 € and then start finding out things to make it even run, great r*!

Well the only thing I can think about is that my VISTA installation was very recent prior to GTA, I don't use firewall because I can't find any good to VISTA 64bit and the one in it is good enough. I usually keep my PC clean enough and with only the necessary things ... so I think if you guys having some many problems and performance issues if you have a second partition or another HDD transfer your stuff there, try to format the HD and install your OS, then before install so many things (Firewall, Antivirus, Drivers for this and that) install the game with the minimum possible and see if that helps.

Hiya,

I've been struggling to find a good lightweight firewall for vista 64, and I stumbled across VistaFirewallControl http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html The free version is perfect if you just want simple controls for allowing outbound protection. It uses vista's own firewall, yet gives you a simple popup if anything is trying to access the net so you can allow/deny etc. Light on memory, and I cant be happier with it biggrin.gif Worth a try!

This trick works for me much more smooth gameplay thanks `MonkeyMhz` icon14.gif

---Does anyone know why the game moves at a slow pace after a few minutes of playing.---

All help will be appreciated as I just can't play it.

Thanks. icon14.gif

HEWHOCORRUPTS

why would you try and double your vram with a command line? if you only have 258 or w/e thats all the game is going to use....thats basically the same as a no restriction command line...cause in a sense youre just going over the allowed amount either way..

i tried these mods and they didnt seem to make anything better...actually, horrible lag would occur.

i have a 3.2ghz amd black edition with the same card as the original poster and 2.5 gigs of ram. vista ult x64.

nice effort tho.

Funny to read how many fail to understad the multiplier function and some even use it as 2.88 and cant get it working, go back to page 1 and read the instructions again.

If you have 512MB vram, 1.0 means 100% of your vram , that is 512MB or 490MB depends how GTA shows it, 1.0 IS NOT 1GB vram.

What i fail to understand why this game uses so much vram and so little system RAM, when most if not say all use it oposit way. These days 4GB sys RAM in PC's is basically standard for gamers and is much cheaper to obtain than 1GB vram gfx card which will be quite rare in next year aswell.

btw before the patch i ran game on High textures with 512MB 4870 809/490 shown in game, red warning ofcourse, could play for hours with no problems and game looked ok and fps was same as with medium. Now after patch sadly using high will cause game to stutter after 20min or so.

btw before the patch i ran game on High textures with 512MB 4870 809/490 shown in game, red warning ofcourse, could play for hours with no problems and game looked ok and fps was same as with medium

What res, detail level and actual FPS? Did you experience pop-up?

I have a 8800 gts 320 mb

I made commandline.txt with inside -availablevidmem 2.0, then I started the game, res 800x600 and set what I wanted (the memory usage was 591/593).

Then I added -height 1024 -width 1280 -availablevidmem 0.57 in the commandline.txt, I started the game and it was like crap, everything in low and things like that, but the resolution was 1280x1024... I did something wrong?

Ah, I forgot to say that I don't have any -norestrictions, -nomerestrict or things like that

I also have a 8800 GTS 320 mb, I used -availablevidmem 1.5, this definitely lowered my FPS, but it completely did away with my texture pop in problem.....and I thank you so much for that, it was definitely the biggest thing for me. I had said before that I would rather take a huge drop in FPS than have to play with the pop in problem, and I'm happy to have the trade off for now. At least I can feel somewhat immersed in the game.

worked well for me. Before the tweak I used to have an average 20~25 fps. After the tweak:

--

StatisticsAverage FPS: 39.35Duration: 37.21 secCPU Usage: 98%System memory usage: 86%Video memory usage: 100%Graphics SettingsVideo Mode: 800 x 600 (56 Hz)Texture Quality: HighRender Quality: HighestView Distance: 30Detail Distance: 30HardwareMicrosoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate Service Pack 1Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Video Driver version: 180.84Audio Adapter: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)Intel® Core2 Duo CPU     E4600  @ 2.40GHzFile ID: benchmark.cli--

I'm using a 640x480 reflection map though.