~! Ultimate GTAIV Performance Fix !~

MonkeyMhz

You can't run a benchmark with this tweak.

It resets to 800x600, defeating the purpose.

Really? I haven't tried, benchmark means nothing to me, I just monitored my ingame fps with fraps.

When you click the Benchmark button, it reverts to whatever 'bugged' resolution your graphics menu is showing.

(800x600 for most people I guess)

i can finally play @ normal framerates + fraps.

biggrin.gif

Pentium 4 @ 3.2GHz

2GB RAM @ 200MHz

8600GT 256MB

WinXP SP3

Playing @ All @ lowest, 1024*768

I know it's antique. smile.gif

Inside = 20FPS

Lower framerates this time. 9 FPS, without fraps = 15FPS

Meh:

Still processing.

Edited by ikt

I'm getting a "D3D Reset Failed" error whenever I use custom width/height values in commandline.txt.

Anyone know what's causing that? Error occurs with any custom res setting.

An easiert way to get custom resolutions is to set them up in your video driver software. Some monitors dont like ceratin frequencies (hz) at certain odd resolutions. If you try to force one in GTA then you'll likely just crash or get other problems. You can test those custom res's in your video drivers and can set specific parameters to test tehm adn get them working as they should.

A pretty easy method is to force wider resolution on your display. For instance, my monitors' native res is 1680x1050 which is 16:10. Adding and using the custom res of 1680x045, which is 16:9, gives me an extra boost in FPS in any game while maintaining my mative width, so there's no weird fuxx-effect that playing at something like 1600x900 would give.

I do this with any game that runs a little slower than I'd like, such as Crysis, and wider resolutions also give a wider FOV, which is always nice.

First of all thanks a lot for posting this trick. I tried it, it works and it gives me additional resources. I decided to keep the shadow resolution @ 1024x768, because I don't fully agree with "little to no graphical deterioration". 800x600 shadow resolution is unbearable imo. Let me explain my position a little further. This trick frees up some resources (by keeping the shadow res low) for other stuff. I think this efficiency gain falls mainly in the "ballpark" of the GPU. Now some people may want to use these resources to up their drawing distances etc. I decided I want more FPS. With an average of around 30 before dipping into low 20's sometimes just sucks. Moreover I find that those drawing distance values (u know the three settings) don't add so much graphical value above 15-20. So I decided to keep those settings the same as before and up my res. De facto I have a higher res, namely 1600x1200 instead of 1280x1024, (except shadow res ofc) and like 2-3-4 FPS increase on top of that. So all in all I'm very satisfied with this post and want to thank the poster again for his nice work! PC Gaming FTW! Now because it relieves the GPU more relative to the CPU I think this trick help those with crappier GPU's more than those with reasonable to good GPU's. This game remains highly CPU dependent and therefore performance will be linked to the raw power of your CPU whatever trick you apply (CPU efficiency tricks are hard to achieve in this game I think, because it seems the CPU usage has been tweaked well, it almost uses both my cores to the full. No other game does that?!). So I'll be trying to OC my CPU some more these days biggrin.gif If this ends up in an EPIC FAIL a quadcore will be in my hands within a day wow.gif Btw I'm running in XP currently because I think it runs slightly better in XP. However I do have a dualboot and will try the DX10ATI thingie later.

Me specs:

C2D E6400 @ 3 Ghz

3/4 Gig 6400 ram (XP/Vista)

8800 GT 512 MB OC Edition

XP SP3 and/or Vista SP1

Game settings:

1600x1200

Medium

Highest

Average 32-35 FPS. This is ingame ofcourse, not the "totally not representative benchmark".

smokeringhalo

Well if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Sure it gave me an fps boost but it also replaced all particles in the game with black boxes which is equally unacceptable imo.

Sure it gave me an fps boost but it also replaced all particles in the game with black boxes which is equally unacceptable imo.

See, it works for some people and others it doesn't, didn't work for you. For me the game looks identical to if I didn't do it.

And yea i agree with lurf. It mainly helps people with underpowered GPUs.

If you want to add in Virtual memory. use a thumb drive and use slightly less than the capacity.

Get a small thumb drive, less area to read. get a fast one, fast read times.I have three one is a pest one is

soso, the other one rocks. Seems when I use it as virtual memory, I get no pop ins. sad part, it's A 256MB.

I would like to try more, but why tempt fate.

I set it as 200mb.

****EDIT*****

I get pop ins bad no matter what , as I make videos though.

YOU KNOW DUDE, YOU SHOULD BE WORKING FOR ROCKSTAR, BECAUSE THE COMBINATION OF YOUR TWEAK AND ELEGY'S SWITCH-FOLDERS TWEAK FIXED ALL MY PROBLEMS. IDK WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS THEY HIRE, CANT EVEN HELP US FIX OUR GAME.

Well, R*s main mistake was not including enough options. If they would have had a option for low, medium, high, very high for the reflection maps.etc they would have fixed most the problems people with lower end gpus have.

And if they would have simply not made such nasty shadows and gone for proper shadow maps. It would have made the game look much better.

Oh and lets not forget a AA option! Common AA is easily do-able in DX9. Of course it may not be as accelerated through hardware as in DX10.1 but, still. It would have made us happy.

In my game project such a shotty product would be unacceptable. Do it right or don't do it at all. However its such a good game, just a shame they didn't have the *good* release they should have.

And don't blame the programmers or artists. I'm sure they have enough stress, problem is the snobby project managers who never wrote a line of code or placed a polygon in their life. Who think, OH WE NEED THE GAME OUT NOW, or OH JUST SEND IT OUT THEY WILL BUY IT, you know the same retards that go to a Securom Conference and see a red verticle line and they think all of a sudden their profits will ten fold if they include this magical securom rolleyes.gif . Really when its doing the opposite.

Can you Post commandline settings for 280 Gtx?

Its different for everyone, follow the guide and experiment.

smokeringhalo

See, it works for some people and others it doesn't, didn't work for you. For me the game looks identical to if I didn't do it.

And yea i agree with lurf. It mainly helps people with underpowered GPUs.

Guess its a matter of figuring out which resolution gives what details.

I can live without shadows & reflections for performance, but particles is another matter.

Maybe I just need to fine tune.

I have a 7950GT 512 x2 setup (game recognizes 486) and I did not use the multiplier tweak mentioned.

Even if I don't get this working, I still very much appreciate the time and effort you put in to all of this.

Spaceman Spliff

Just want to say that this trick does indeed work. It gave me a huge performance increase.

HOWEVER, using the 800x600 reflection/shadow maps look very bad in my opinion. So I ended up going back to my regular settings. Though I may try again using a resolution that's closer to my native (1680x1050), which would give me a smaller performance boost but without degrading the world maps so much.

Also, I just wanted to mention that I don't believe this has anything to do with having "low end" GPUs. I'm using a GTX 280, which is supposedly the best single-GPU solution out there and this tweak boosted my game by about 10fps. My CPU, by the way, is an Intel Xeon dual-core @ 3.6ghz. It still blows my mind why this game runs so poorly....

If Rockstar offered more graphics options, maybe we wouldn't be in this position.

OK Man i done it, im getting stead 35 frames, its incredible stable it is almost as its locked down on it!

The bad part is that the dithering on nearby buildings is even more sh*t than before.

If by any means you find a way to disable those cast shadows drop a line, its horrible, but its the way we have to play. Aparently Cockstar like to play under bizarre shadows scenes. Maybe they stay high all day on some drug so they find the real shadows on world are all dithered.

MonkeyMhz-

My video card is Nvidia 7950GT 250MB (250MB video card memory)

I have 1GB DDR2 of ram + Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz

I play the in 800x600 (on 1024x768 = less fps)

my fps is low, the game is stuttering for me.

should I use your "Performance Fix" ?

and how do I do that with my settings?

thank you.

Just want to say that this trick does indeed work. It gave me a huge performance increase.

HOWEVER, using the 800x600 reflection/shadow maps look very bad in my opinion. So I ended up going back to my regular settings. Though I may try again using a resolution that's closer to my native (1680x1050), which would give me a smaller performance boost but without degrading the world maps so much.Also, I just wanted to mention that I don't believe this has anything to do with having "low end" GPUs. I'm using a GTX 280, which is supposedly the best single-GPU solution out there and this tweak boosted my game by about 10fps. My CPU, by the way, is an Intel Xeon dual-core @ 3.6ghz. It still blows my mind why this game runs so poorly....

If Rockstar offered more graphics options, maybe we wouldn't be in this position.

Dude I have the exact same setup as you and this MOD didnt do Fock ALL?

Look dont waste your time if you have a High Spec Pc !

MAy only work if you have the Old Ati X1950pro and that

lol

Can anyone post command lines for the 8800GT? I tried the ones Monkey posted and it just made my game very fuggly. Oh and no change with Monkey's lines.

-height 1050

-width 1980

-availablevidmem 0.875 (Divide the 800x600 videomem in GTA IV by your actual Videomem)

-novblank

-renderquality 2

-shadowdensity 0

-texturequality 3

-VehicleDensity 41

-viewdistance: 3

-detailquality 41

-stereo

-fullspecaudio

mercie_blink.gif

Hey guys, can anyone help me out with my 256MB 8600GT?

I did the availablemem 2.0 thing but when I choose 1440x900 in my commandline it goes to that resolution in-game. So then I tried the trick to make it work in-game at 800x600 and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I'm using 371MB memory even though I only have 256MB.

Can anyone be willing to post the commandline for an 8600GT?

I finally just tried this out and It seems to work. My frame rate didnt sky rocket, but it brought my min frames up and now it dosent seem to touch 25 fps anymore, stays more around 30. I know its been said before but it needs to be said again. If we can go through all this, tweak our own files, add command lines, modify drivers, then why does Rockstar think that a few more graphics options is confusing to pc games. YOUR not dealing with people that just play a game on a console and forget about it, your here with people that love to tweak and modify, to constantly change hardware, and most of all people that play the game just how they want to. We are PC GAMER and we like options. I'm sorry I've been good and haven't said anything, but I had to mention options, and usually with the options come a little caption of what it does, so its not confusing at all.....ugh I'm sorry. Thanks for this tweak!

Great idea mate, and it did give me around a 2-5fps increase to a bearly acceptable 20fps at 1280x1024 medium. But it will take a miracle to fix the poor code because i still ran into the dreaded missing textures problem so had to exit the malfunctioning game.

It seems there is still some kind of memory leak!

Great idea mate, and it did give me around a 2-5fps increase to a bearly acceptable 20fps at 1280x1024 medium. But it will take a miracle to fix the poor code because i still ran into the dreaded missing textures problem so had to exit the malfunctioning game.

It seems there is still some kind of memory leak!

yea I refuse to play the actual missions and ruin the game for myself. I am not exceeding my video limits and I still see dissapearing textures and end up crashing into things before they appear. It seriously is like playing an alpha version of a game.

I'm afraid this doesn't help me at all. I get the same FPS as I would at what I usually play at. I went ahead and did a test using 4 different setups. It should be pointed out that I thought I got a huge gain in fps myself at first. But after rolling around, I grew curious and went into my graphics settings to find that it had been set everything to low. What I thought were 800x600 textures was just a low resolution texture and rendering. Maybe this is what people are seeing as their gains.

Here is what I did, following your instructions, and using FRAPS' benchmark tool for an indepth look for my system.

1. Delete/Rename my commandlist.txt
  2. Run the game for the first time - Set Video Mode to 800x600, Texture Q. to Medium, Render Q. to High, View Dist. to 20, Detail Dist. 30, Vehicle Dens. 20, Shadow Dens. 0
  3. Quit game. Create/Rename commandlist.txt with the following: "-width 1280 -height 1024 -availablevidmem 0.46" [339/740]
  4. Run Game. It is now at desired resolution.
  5. Test 1 - 5 mins driving around in a Turismo in my park save spot. Drive around in a semi-predefined route going through the main island, to the beginner island and back. Last 1 min is to generate as much stars as possible while driving and avoiding cops.
  6. Test 2 - 5 min flying a helicopter parked in my save spot (yea you can do this lol). Fly a semi-predermined route within the main island, then over to the beginning island, then across to the final island. Finish with a crash on the main strip of the main island.
  7. After each test, I checked to see if my settings were what they should be to not have the mishap of settings being changed (and I redid the trick each time I went in there as it tends to reset to low/low/1/1/0 each time I go in there no matter what I do).
  8. Repeat all above steps between my usual settings, this trick, low settings (everything on low and 1/0), and the window mode trick.
The usual settings I used in each test are as follows:

Texture Quality: Medium

Render Quality: High

View Distance: 20

Detail Distance: 30

Vehicle Density: 20

Shadow Density: 0

The run themselves all took place during the same time of day. I set out at night and at the end of the run, the sun is rising and it's practically day. So this is also a great test between day/night cycles.

Note - My game is capped at 34 fps due to an audio limitation or something. I leave the command -fullspecaudio off as it just lowers my fps overall.

Normal Settings - 1280x1024

In-Game BenchMark Tool: 29.87 fps

FRAPS Benchmark - Driving: Min 12 - Max 35 - Avg 22.585

FRAPS Benchmark - Flying: Min 15 - Max 36 - Avg 25.02

The Trick 1 - 1280x1024 (800x600 base)

FRAPS Benchmark - Driving: Min 14 - Max 35 - Avg 21.879

FRAPS Benchmark - Flying: Min 13 - Max 36 - Avg 26.309

The Trick 2 - 1280x1024 (800x600 base) - [Deleted settings folder and started fresh]

FRAPS Benchmark - Driving: Min 15 - Max 35 - Avg 22.863

FRAPS Benchmark - Flying: [Didn't Do]

Lowest Settings - 1280x1024 (Everything set to low/1/0)

FRAPS Benchmark - Driving: Min 16 - Max 36 - Avg 27.963

FRAPS Benchmark - Flying: Min 20 - Max 36 - Avg 31.359

Window Stretch Trick - prox. 1280x1024 (800x600 base)

FRAPS Benchmark - Driving: Min 11 - Max 36 - Avg 19.571

FRAPS Benchmark - Flying: [Didn't do]

I think the trick is a bust on my machine. And seeing as how the game keeps resetting the settings each time I visit the graphics part to make sure its on, I think anyone with gains is actually playing on much lower settings than they think they are on. Either way, my game will remain hovering around 22 fps for a while confused.gif

Edited by Zharay

Thanks for the guide.

I have a 8600 GT w 256MB, tried "LaunchGTAIV.exe -availablevidmem 2.0", but it does not increase the mem-size in Graphics!! suicidal.gif

Any suggestion?

If your graphics settings reset every time you start it up again just follow this quick fix:

(Note this is the Vista way, I'm not sure how to do it in XP)

1. Go into your C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings folder

2. Delete everything that's in there

3. Start the game with your desired settings and settings shouldn't reset anymore

And I'm not lying or trying to ruin your game or anything. I got this off of the official GTA IV support website.

Thanks for the guide.

I have a 8600 GT w 256MB, tried "LaunchGTAIV.exe -availablevidmem 2.0", but it does not increase the mem-size in Graphics!! suicidal.gif

Any suggestion?

Dont use that shortcut command line crap. Go to your GTAIV folder were the EXEs are, and create commandline.txt and put the -availablevidmem 2.0 in there.

If your graphics settings reset every time you start it up again just follow this quick fix:

1. Go into your C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings folder

3. Start the game with your desired settings and settings shouldn't reset anymore

And I'm not lying or trying to ruin your game or anything. I got this off of the official GTA IV support website.

Yes this does work, i did it a while back. Thank you for posting.

I'll try this and see if it changes anything in my runs.

In XP I think its something like "%appdata%\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings" without the quotes.

Edited by Zharay

Not sure deleting it all is wise. I believe just deleting the SETTINGS.CFG will get that fixed up.

(XP) - Also make sure you have Show hidden files and folders checked in Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > Hidden Files and Folders > Show hidden Files and Folders.

C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings - (XP)

Edited by livilaNic