~! Ultimate GTAIV Performance Fix !~

MonkeyMhz

Hey man, thx for say my name on thread, now, im going to install XP x64, and see if the game rum better on DX9 OS with 4Gb ram support, im say latter this, im have Vista original, but um hate this os, its crap, take much memory and process, i have used Server08 for 1 Moth, and i say this is the best OS i have used, fast, simple and have DX10 running a very good speed, my Crysis run with more 8 frames compared to Vista tweaked.

Now im downloading the updated ( autopatcher ) and create my instalation with the newest software, later im say if this trick dx10 ATI works on XP...

Bye

Vista may seem to use more MB resources. However it caches the RAM similar to a L2 cache, so it can have faster access and priority rankings. Vista is much faster than XP if your computer is capable (C2D+Dx10GPU).

But others opinion differ. In my opinion vista is a much better OS than xp (holds shield up for a spray of bullets).

But thats just me rolleyes.gif

Goodluck happy.gif

I come to believe you are also cpu limited, not sure there lol. Just i read that 3 cores get used, and those may be maxed out for you. Your gpu may be at ease its really good.

PS: Im talking in the dimensions of GTA4 ,where cpu is the sh*tz u know

edit, im wondering if you didnt get good fps before anyway?

My benchmark results with my usual settings is 52fps.

So my ingame fps is around 45fps, which is good I suppose.

Four cores on three threads, it's hard for the quads to be bottlenecking the game.

My usage usually sits between 55% and 60% during gameplay.

LOL.... i think my last post really wasn't necessarry, as it requires 15 steps and the original text are only like 5 steps.. lol.. sorry for that, but that guy pmed me to

"simplify the instructions, without all the baffling he put in between the points?"

but i already said, that his instructions are easy enough to understand even for idiots...

so sorry monkeymhz, didn't want to take credit for your discovery, i just need some sleep :-/

i failed lol

I come to believe you are also cpu limited, not sure there lol. Just i read that 3 cores get used, and those may be maxed out for you. Your gpu may be at ease its really good. 

PS: Im talking in the dimensions of GTA4 ,where cpu is the sh*tz u know

edit, im wondering if you didnt get good fps before anyway?

My benchmark results with my usual settings is 52fps.

So my ingame fps is around 45fps, which is good I suppose.

Four cores on three threads, it's hard for the quads to be bottlenecking the game.

My usage usually sits between 55% and 60% during gameplay.

Oh, Odd! And you have a ATI4850.

Hrmm...

i think this wont be much helpful as avised 'ultimate performance fix'

-first of all , its not really working , cause no matter how u setup your avaliblevidmem, u can still get pass it , so the resolution will change too

-secondly i start the game , (high high , 25,40,100,16) and i get 36 fps in current location in 1400x1050 , and in the same location with 800x600 (almost mosaic) i get 36 fps maybe + 1 or to frames  ... so how should this be so helpfull when the difference between HD and mosaic gameplay is few frames. mercie_blink.gif

Well its the ultimate fix for most the people who are really having trouble. If you are getting 36fps in 1400x900, your running the game fine. And this tweak should not apply to you. If your only getting 1fps more in 800x600. Well then thats strange, its probably because your GPU can run it fine but it is now limited by your CPU *perhaps*.

To do a test to actually see if you get any gain from this start your game with 800x600, rest settings how you want them, but start the game in windowed mode. Manually drag the window to your screen size. See if you have a performance increase there, if so. Then doing this big mess of text will help you achieve what you achieved there without having to start the game in windowed mode and manually resize it, thats all this thing does. If you don't get a gain from it then clearly this is no use to you. But it is use to a lot of people.

actualy the 'drag window' technique just decreases the fps to 20. confused.gif

LOL.... i think my last post really wasn't necessarry, as it requires 15 steps and the original text are only like 5 steps.. lol.. sorry for that, but that guy pmed me to

"simplify the instructions, without all the baffling he put in between the points?"

but i already said, that his instructions are easy enough to understand even for idiots...

so sorry monkeymhz, didn't want to take credit for your discovery, i just need some sleep :-/

i failed lol

LOL. Don't worry about it, you explained every step you did. Thats good, may help someone, today when I get home im posting screens so that will help simplify everything.

-first of all , its not really working , cause no matter how u setup your avaliblevidmem, u can still get pass it , so the resolution will change too

-secondly i start the game , (high high , 25,40,100,16) and i get 36 fps in current location in 1400x1050 , and in the same location with 800x600 (almost mosaic) i get 36 fps maybe + 1 or to frames  ... so how should this be so helpfull when the difference between HD and mosaic gameplay is few frames. mercie_blink.gif

Well its the ultimate fix for most the people who are really having trouble. If you are getting 36fps in 1400x900, your running the game fine. And this tweak should not apply to you. If your only getting 1fps more in 800x600. Well then thats strange, its probably because your GPU can run it fine but it is now limited by your CPU *perhaps*.

To do a test to actually see if you get any gain from this start your game with 800x600, rest settings how you want them, but start the game in windowed mode. Manually drag the window to your screen size. See if you have a performance increase there, if so. Then doing this big mess of text will help you achieve what you achieved there without having to start the game in windowed mode and manually resize it, thats all this thing does. If you don't get a gain from it then clearly this is no use to you. But it is use to a lot of people.

Wow, are you using xp or vista?

Thats soo strange, guess your setup doesn't like this, lol. Well I'm sorry I can't help you but this is helping some other people out. GL anyways, and enjoy that game.

-secondly i start the game , (high high , 25,40,100,16) and i get 36 fps in current location in 1400x1050 , and in the same location with 800x600 (almost mosaic) i get 36 fps maybe + 1 or to frames   ... so how should this be so helpfull when the difference between HD and mosaic gameplay is few frames. mercie_blink.gif

Wow, are you using xp or vista?

Thats soo strange, guess your setup doesn't like this, lol. Well I'm sorry I can't help you but this is helping some other people out. GL anyways, and enjoy that game.

vista 64bit.

the only realy functional trick for me so far (besides those gr8 nvidia drivers) is to kill all unnessery processes, firefox , icq , explorer , even social club . and set the priority to gta.exe to high , that helps a lot. i think that would be also helpful

Yup, tried and tested.

Game seems more smooth now, textures and shadows still bugging me a bit, but its only minor.

No textures disappear though, any way that I can permanently disable shadows ?

colgate.gif

well, first of all, i'd like to thank topic starter for this trick. icon14.gif

the game looks just awesome 2 me for now, i really get a perfomance boost of +8-12 fps, but there's one problem...

it's STUTTER... the game constantly trying to load smth from hdd to ram, and after a slight stuttering becomes completely unplayable.

what's the problem?...

Before I tried this, my settings were

800x600

low & low

1, 1, 1, 0

207/117

after trying this and adjusting my settings to

800x600

med & high

25, 50, 10, 0

xxx/585 (then reverting to xxx/76)

The FPS are definitely good (not that much crazy for it, can settle for 10-15), but texture is missing like crazy. (reminds me of assassin's creed loading)

Anyway to fix this part?

user posted image

(Forgot to mention that since mines was pushing 207/117 and couldn't match 512, mines went over

Edited by infamyice

800x600

low & low

1, 1, 1, 0

207/117

800x600

med & high

25, 50, 10, 0

The FPS are definitely good (not that much crazy for it, can settle for 10-15), but texture is missing like crazy. (reminds me of assassin's creed loading)

Anyway to fix this part?

user posted image

(Forgot to mention that since mines was pushing 207/117 and couldn't match 512, mines went over

Wow thats some bad disappearing, what GPU do you have? Do you have the latest drivers?

well, first of all, i'd like to thank topic starter for this trick. icon14.gif

the game looks just awesome 2 me for now, i really get a perfomance boost of +8-12 fps, but there's one problem...

it's STUTTER... the game constantly trying to load smth from hdd to ram, and after a slight stuttering becomes completely unplayable.

what's the problem?...

Hrmm, well try going into your nvidia control panel. The option that says Pre-Render frames, turn it on to 8 or whatever its max is. That will get rid of any micro lag in any game, at least it did for me = ). And defrag your GTAIV folder.

800x600

low & low

1, 1, 1, 0

207/117

800x600

med & high

25, 50, 10, 0

Anyway to fix this part?

user posted image

Wow thats some bad disappearing, what GPU do you have? Do you have the latest drivers?

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400. I tried getting the new driver, but it kept telling me that it couldn't find any drivers compatible during the installment. I don't know if I was doing something right or not.

hm.. i've tried that a few minutes ago. first i have to say thanks for that really large guide..

but i've a problem !

my graphics card is a radeon hd4850 512mb my cpu q6600@3ghz and ram 4gb on vista x64

when i apply your fix and run settings like high texture detail and so on so that i have 746mb (commandline limited to 764mb) used as gta4 says it works for me.. then i've no texture pop-ups, fade-ins, redrawn or how you want to name it biggrin.gif would be nice if i could ran it like this but my problem is that with such high settings the game is stuttering when i turn the cam cause the game is loading a bit from the hard disk -.-

when i run settings like medium texture detail and so so so that i have only 367mb vram used as gta4 says and when i limit the vram with commandline to 369mb then the game runs smoother but!! i've the same f*cking massive texture popups and fadeins while i turn the cam as without any modding. -.-

damn.. so as you see none of the settings are perfekt.. maybe someone can help me ?!? or maybe rockstar toronto is finally able to fix these issues in the next patch ?!!!!!!! (due to the help with that guide and so on)

Epic topic. Now this is the kind of stuff im going into!!!!

Praise the comunity, always better than developers, that is gamer to gamers!

Word.

Quote for great justice

800x600

low & low

1, 1, 1, 0

207/117

800x600

med & high

25, 50, 10, 0

Anyway to fix this part?

user posted image

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400. I tried getting the new driver, but it kept telling me that it couldn't find any drivers compatible during the installment. I don't know if I was doing something right or not.

X1400 is below min reqruirements. However, hmm, i know you can get modded nvidia drivers at laptopvideo2go.com, not sure were to get ati drivers. But good luck, ill think about your problem and see if I can come up with anything that may fix it. Try all settings low see if the problem still persits.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks man.

I think its working, now i have 25-40fps on 1680x1050 with medium texture, medium quality, draw distance 30, detail 25, car density 50, shadows density 0. Before i had to play on 1280x800(or similar, dont remember now exact numbers) ant got only 20-30fps with LOWER settings.

My rig: c2c 2,8ghz, 2gb ram, 8800gt.

hm.. i've tried that a few minutes ago. first i have to say thanks for that really large guide..

but i've a problem !

my graphics card is a radeon hd4850 512mb my cpu q6600@3ghz and ram 4gb on vista x64

when i apply your fix and run settings like high texture detail and so on so that i have 746mb (commandline limited to 764mb) used as gta4 says it works for me.. then i've no texture pop-ups, fade-ins, redrawn or how you want to name it biggrin.gif would be nice if i could ran it like this but my problem is that with such high settings the game is stuttering when i turn the cam cause the game is loading a bit from the hard disk -.-

when i run settings like medium texture detail and so so so that i have only 367mb vram used as gta4 says and when i limit the vram with commandline to 369mb then the game runs smoother but!! i've the same f*cking massive texture popups and fadeins while i turn the cam as without any modding. -.-

damn.. so as you see none of the settings are perfekt.. maybe someone can help me ?!? or maybe rockstar toronto is finally able to fix these issues in the next patch ?!!!!!!! (due to the help with that guide and so on)

Hmm, defrag GTAIV folder. Fade-ins shouldent happen. Im gonna go experiment when I get home and see if I can figure out something for you.

well, first of all, i'd like to thank topic starter for this trick.  icon14.gif

what's the problem?...

Hrmm, well try going into your nvidia control panel. The option that says Pre-Render frames, turn it on to 8 or whatever its max is. That will get rid of any micro lag in any game, at least it did for me = ). And defrag your GTAIV folder.

thanks, giving it a try right now smile.gif

800x600

low & low

1, 1, 1, 0

207/117

800x600

med & high

25, 50, 10, 0

Anyway to fix this part?

user posted image

X1400 is below min reqruirements. However, hmm, i know you can get modded nvidia drivers at laptopvideo2go.com, not sure were to get ati drivers. But good luck, ill think about your problem and see if I can come up with anything that may fix it. Try all settings low see if the problem still persits.

What would be your suggested pick? I never thought I had a use for it since all I see in my programs is ATI (I got a nvidia folder in my programs but don't know where/when/why I got it. ie: maybe a game)

I've been playing around with the -windowed command after reading your other thread yesterday and the constant re-sizing was annoying so this auto size solution is exactly what I was looking for, no more taskbar in the way either thanks man. smile.gif

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=383284 Link to OP's first thread that does the same job as in this one, except you have to manually resize the screen in window mode to fit your monitor each time. People who are having probs getting this to work, try that out first.

If you are having problems with some textures not popping up then this will definately help.

However I find that even though I can see certain textures come up, the overall gameplay feels like it stutters slightly more than usual, and that it was slightly smoother using 1680x1050 in game. So basically pretty confused on whether to go for smoother gameplay at the cost of certain textures or vice versa.

Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+

8800GTS 320MB

2GB Ram

XP SP2

Texture Quality: Low/Medium(textures appear faster in low)

Render Quality: Medium

View Distance: 5

Detail Distance: 15

Vehicle Density: 100 (lets face it this is what brings the game to life)

Shadow Density: 0

269/286 VRAM

12-27 fps outside, average 20

commandline: -height 1050 -width 1680 -availablevidmem 0.94 -novblank -percentvidmem 100

Edited by influx0

but i've a problem  !

Hmm, defrag GTAIV folder. Fade-ins shouldent happen. Im gonna go experiment when I get home and see if I can figure out something for you.

ok thanks biggrin.gif

it seems really strange cause on high textures my fade ins are gone.. on medium they are as worse as ever sad.gif really strange.. rockstar fix this biggrin.gif !

hm.. @ monkeymhz maybe you could test that with the high and medium texture settings ? cause on medium texture settings the fade ins are always the same.. if i set view distance to 25 or 77 it doesn't matter.. with high textures and view distance on 25 the fade ins where perfeclty gone sad.gif but as for a 512mb vram card its not possible to play on high textures perfectly sad.gif (and high textures didn't matter for me.. i think the game looks quite the same with medium.. no big difference)

my other settings are always!! (no matter what settings i test the following 3 settings are the same cause i never experienced any change by changing these settings) :

Detail Distance on 100

Vehicle Density on 50 and

Shadows on 0

but i've a problem  !

ok thanks biggrin.gif

it seems really strange cause on high textures my fade ins are gone.. on medium they are as worse as ever sad.gif really strange.. rockstar fix this biggrin.gif !

hm.. @ monkeymhz maybe you could test that with the high and medium texture settings ? cause on medium texture settings the fade ins are always the same.. if i set view distance to 25 or 77 it doesn't matter.. with high textures and view distance on 25 the fade ins where perfeclty gone sad.gif but as for a 512mb vram card its not possible to play on high textures perfectly sad.gif (and high textures didn't matter for me.. i think the game looks quite the same with medium.. no big difference)

my other settings are always!! (no matter what settings i test the following 3 settings are the same cause i never experienced any change by changing these settings) :

Detail Distance on 100

Vehicle Density on 50 and

Shadows on 0

Interesting indeed. Ill try high textures out when I get home, tbh ive never tried actually playing properly in high textures.

Guys not to be mean or a "showoff" ... but I saw people with far better PC configs then mine with some crazy errors and performance in the game. My config is a QUAD 2.4 (stock), 9600 GT 512MB, 3 GB RAM ... I saw guys with QUAD Extreme, GTX 280 (SLI's), HD 4870 etc, etc ...

I also hear people complaining on VISTA and such.

Well I've been running the game since I got a "pirated copy" for test, and now I'm running the retail I bought, I didn't have a single problem, I played for hours, I played online.

First I used the Medium/Highest | 40 Distance View | 100 Detail View | 100 Traffic | 0 Shadows (they look ugly and don't do any difference for me | 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Today I tried the -norestrictions ... and I maxed it out.

High/ Highest | 100 Distance View | 100 Detail View | 100 Traffic | 0 Shadow | 1280 x 1024 my frames in the Benchmark still at 42 frames ...

I know that the Bench is a fail, that frames go down here and there ... for my own experience in a Bridge with like 30 cars at night, raining and lightning ... even with the water effects ... I don't get slowdown, i don't know the frames. But the games is playable has any other conditions.

There are a few bugs sometimes but are like a second and very rare.

With all this said, I'm wondering why I get this and others get worst results in better machines.

My PC is not from the Future, my drivers are the last BETA from NVIDIA and I'm running WINDOWS VISTA 64bit SP1.

No problems in SP or MP ... so why?

Well the only thing I can think about is that my VISTA installation was very recent prior to GTA, I don't use firewall because I can't find any good to VISTA 64bit and the one in it is good enough. I usually keep my PC clean enough and with only the necessary things ... so I think if you guys having some many problems and performance issues if you have a second partition or another HDD transfer your stuff there, try to format the HD and install your OS, then before install so many things (Firewall, Antivirus, Drivers for this and that) install the game with the minimum possible and see if that helps.

I hope this is useful to someone, the game could be a lot better ... but is already very fun the way it is, I wish more people could play it too and come online.

Good Luck.

Thanks mate, the things described in the startpost actually worked for me biggrin.gif Cookie for you. cookie.gif

Benchmark after:

Statistics

Average FPS: 26.86

Duration: 37.19 sec

CPU Usage: 95%

System memory usage: 93%

Video memory usage: 92%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 800 x 600 (85 Hz)

Texture Quality: Medium

Render Quality: Medium

View Distance: 42

Detail Distance: 51

Hardware

Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Video Driver version: 180.84

Audio Adapter: Luidsprekers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Benchmark before:

Statistics

Average FPS: 24.35

Duration: 37.08 sec

CPU Usage: 96%

System memory usage: 91%

Video memory usage: 71%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1024 x 768 (70 Hz)

Texture Quality: Medium

Render Quality: Low

View Distance: 19

Detail Distance: 18

Hardware

Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Video Driver version: 180.84

Audio Adapter: Luidsprekers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Better FPS which much better looking graphics, amazing, thanks.