~! Ultimate GTAIV Performance Fix !~

MonkeyMhz

So now lets say all our desired settings ingame @ 800x600, use 650Mb. Ok. But say were now using a 1GB card so it says 650/1024Mb. This is a problem now because if we force -height 1080 -width 1920. We will end up with our ingame options changing to 1920x1080 giving us way more slowdowns because R* starts using that dam scaling reflection maps.etc with resolution.

So what we need to do now is limit the memory GTAIV sees to exactly the amount to run our game in 800x600 (or whatever quality refection maps.etc you want) with our desired settings.

So lets go back to our dilemma, we have a 1GB graphic card and the game only takes up 650mb with the settings we want in 800x600.

We can figure this out by doing some simple math.

1GB Card (650mb desired settings): 650/1024 = 0.635 (its 0.634 but give a tiny bit extra, just like a couple megabytes).

So you would use -availablevidmem 0.635 that would make the game detect you only have 650mb ram which barely fits the features you want in 800x600.

So now once we have figured that out your commandline.txt or your shortcut appending

I have a 512MB video card (Nvidia GeForce 8400GS) and my desired game settings take up 418MB, but the thing is, it says I can only use 490MB. Is this normal??? If so, should I do 418/490 = 0.853?

dansgas1000
Hmm I gave this a try but it don't seem to work

I set it as -height 1366 -width 786

I opened the game and looked at the settings and it said the options I inputted (-height 1366 -width 786 ) not the 800x600 I wanted.

i think you mean 1366x768

Hmm I gave this a try but it don't seem to work

I set it as -height 1366 -width 786

I opened the game and looked at the settings and it said the options I inputted (-height 1366 -width 786 ) not the 800x600 I wanted.

i think you mean 1366x768

Exactly, this was causing the problem, also put -width first. smile.gif

3lIXKDi.png

• 2 months later...

Could someone please make a video tutorial or something? I don't really understand anything and I am not sure if I did worked. How do I make it work for GTA IV EFLC? I make a commandline.txt in the folder with the EFLC.exe thingy and...

Can someone just make a video tutorial?

Edit: Nvm, I think it worked but my game's menu and everything still looks ridiculously ugly as though it is in 800x600 but when I look in the resolution it states that it is 1600x800. Like my menus aren't crispy nice anymore but look really awful. Is this supposed to happen? I thought this fix only makes it so that the game runs at the speed of 800x600 but looks like 1600x900.

(My commandline: -width 900 -height 1600 -availablevidmem 0.80)

Edited by Didowe

Yep, the game should show 800x600 but render at 1600x900.

You've got everything right. This is a common issue. The solution is pretty simple, keep reducing the value for -availablevidmem little by little till the options show 800x600 but the game renders at 1600x900. Its gonna take some trial and error.

FIOszpJ.gif

• 5 months later...

f*ck none of this works.

Not even a little boost in FPS.

The commandline doesn't work(doesn't even load -noresrictions) and even with lowest resolution I get 1 or 2 fps boost from 1440 x 900

The shaders thing which OP says makes huge difference made absolutely no difference.

Hate rockstar so much, they changed, they only care about the money now. Can't even take the time to optimize a f*cking game made on pc because they were too busy releasing it for piece of sh*t consoles to earn money and then making the crappiest port ever made to pc.

Can't even clock my CPU because the f*cking BIOS is locked.

[cente

metalstorm1

I REALLY NEED HELP!!!

I did ALL of the steps 3 times and read the comments and did the thing where you told me to look at before i started complaining. I made the game graphics config to this: 800 X 600 370/468 MB and everything else off or low. I used -availablevidmem 8.0 to get 468 MB. Dont complain about my horrible graphics card. And then, I changed it to 0.8 because I did 370 divided by 480. When i start the game, it changes everything to the lowest thing possible and everything is gone like dissapearing textures. PLEASE HELP ME!! I LOVE THIS GAME AND IM REALLY STRESSED ABOUT IT!! suicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gif

By using the "-availablevidmem 0.8" you multiply the resource usage by 0.8, which is obviously going to decrease it. You'll need to multiply it by 4 [since you only have 64MB VRAM] and set the View Distance to at least 10 to solve the disappearing textures issue.
3lIXKDi.png

Don't you all unerstand that this's too old TRICK!?

This's for unpatched game!

The game is bad ported, memrestrict is the most rational thing that you can do.

• 1 month later...

I need to know that does this still work on version 1.0.4.0?

I've tried this but haven't got it to work yet...

• 3 months later...

Just to clarifiy, this is only for older patches, right? This doesn't work on 1.0.7.0 and whatever the most recent version of EFLC is?

• 1 year later...

Hi, I do the exact same thing as seen in the first post with these options.

Setting resolution at 800x600

using commands "-height 1080 -width 1920 -avaliablevidmem 0.65"

I even cleaned out the GTA4 folder in that hidden appdata folder, also mentioned in the first post and I was able to have it at 651/651(or something looking like that) and I got an error message after the loading screen telling me to reinstall the game. I tried taking out the commandline and setting the options lower such as saying 620 or 610, still got the error. My dedicated video memory is 1024. I also have version 1.0.7.0

Edited by gears86

• 2 months later...

Hey Friends here is the worlds best, easiest and the only way to run gta 4 on Low end pc, Laptops on high settings without any lags errors and other bullsh*t like PATCHES,comandlines etc So Click on the link and watch the video for full solution please believe me and try it just once and follow the steps in the video carefullly because this soution will change your gta 4 playing experience. (Must Watch)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys ! This trick is really effective for me. But unfortunately I got this working only once. Somehow this stopped working at the second launch and I did not get it work again no matter what I did.

I'm actually excited about this:

"Btw, you know what pisses me off, R* could have added a single checkbox that says "Quality Resolution" and then you check it or uncheck it, checked it would up the reflections with the resolution unchecked it would just do what were doing by doing this whole frag feast of text. Lazy R* (do you wanna sell more games?). And a single check box would not make the options complicated!."

So the question :

Does anybody know, is there some experienced modder, who tried (or is going to try) to actually implement such "Quality Resolution" checkbox via mod or plugin to make it togglable with *.ini, for example ?

Edited by uncaged
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

that trick is good but it's known for ages.

i managed to playTBoGT very smooth with all cars modded without any texture pop in, but i can't use trafficload. each time i use that script textures start to mess around. when i use trafficload or i have a smooth game with pop in or i have to pop in but with micro lags

I THINK I FOUND. you need only 2 things availablevidmem & memrestrict. first find which availablevidmem is good for your rig, search for smoothness don't pay attention to missing textures. once you have a very smooth game, then you need to find the good memrestrict. you can start with these if you still have missing textures increase the value 650x1024², 700x1024², 750x1024² etc. keep in mind that increasing too much the memrestrict will make stuttering appear. avoid any nomemrestrict or norestrction this is bad for your health. for example here's mine for a R9 290 4 gigas

-windowed
-memrestrict 734003200 (700x1024²)
-availablevidmem 1.9

i run trafficload with all cars modded very smooth with very few texture bug. Hope it helps

Edited by jpm1

• 2 months later...
broadfire016

I THINK I FOUND. you need only 2 things availablevidmem & memrestrict. first find which availablevidmem is good for your rig, search for smoothness don't pay attention to missing textures. once you have a very smooth game, then you need to find the good memrestrict. you can start with these if you still have missing textures increase the value 650x1024², 700x1024², 750x1024² etc. keep in mind that increasing too much the memrestrict will make stuttering appear. avoid any nomemrestrict or norestrction this is bad for your health. for example here's mine for a R9 290 4 gigas

-windowed

-memrestrict 734003200 (700x1024²)

-availablevidmem 1.9

i run trafficload with all cars modded very smooth with very few texture bug. Hope it helps

Thanks for this info.

TWIST_OF_HATE

Tonight I tried to play this benchmark with 1.0.0.4 patch. Still lags. Will try this performance fix later.

TWIST_OF_HATE

In my case, I set resolution to 800*600, then set up commandline properly, but after I boot up the game, all settings just lowered to minimum, except for the resolution, which set in commandline. What is wrong ? Is it depends on game version ? I have 1.0.0.4.

• 8 months later...
AwesomeBaller69

Sorry for bumping old post but i need some clarity here.

I want to ask :

1. What does all these steps precisely fix?

2. I have laptop with following spec :

Intel Core i7 6700HQ , GTX 980 4GB and 16GB DDR4 RAM

Do i need to do this steps to fix the missing texture bug?

I have the latest nVidia driver

Le Pro Noob

I think this thread is supposed to help your reflection quality or something. Nope, this is nkt the thread to fix the missing texture bug.

AwesomeBaller69

I think this thread is supposed to help your reflection quality or something. Nope, this is nkt the thread to fix the missing texture bug.

Nkt? What do you mean?

And how about my second question?

I have the 1.0.7.0 btw

Le Pro Noob

Not*. Typo. You can try the memrestrict thread pinned in this forum and try using the highest values. The lowest values will make the textures disappear.

AwesomeBaller69

Not*. Typo. You can try the memrestrict thread pinned in this forum and try using the highest values. The lowest values will make the textures disappear.

I can't find it. Can you help me?

Guys I get no FPS boost,it said 800x600 in gta 4 setting but in commandline I put:

-height 900
-width 1600
-availablevidmem 0.84
-memrestrict 1073741824
-noprecache
-novblank
-percentvidmem 100
-ReservedApp 0
-forcehighqualitymirrors
-nominimize
-refreshrate 60
-no_3GB
-disableimposters
-usedirectinput
-threads 4
-USEALLAVAIABLECORES
-frameratecap=100
I have it at fullscreen with 1600x900 but I get the same fps at this hd resolution,someone help? My resource usage is 908/871
My spec is:
I5 520M 2.40GHz
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA NVS 5100M
with a bunch of optimization in my laptop, cleaned it it been 3-4 days agos.

• 1 year later...
TWIST_OF_HATE

I can share with you my recent experience,will be useful atleast for AMD video card users.

First, you can turn on MLAA (Morphological Anti-Aliasing) in driver settings. This is post-process AA method, have generally no impact on fps, but does good job on eliminate these jaggies everywhere.

Second, I have 50-60 fps in almost all cases, but game stuttering for no obvious reason. Enhanced Sync option in driver settings helped me to solve this problem too :)

Just turn in-game vsync off, and set Enhanced sync option in AMD driver settings, you will enjoy it )
P.S. This is what was helpfull to me, no garanties it will work for you same way, but worth a try.