Walk and Sprint, but no Run?

alamuru420123

alamuru420123

Normally, Niko just walks. I can use Shift to make him run for his life.

Isn't there anything in between? Something like CJ in GTASA? By default he runs at a decent pace and we can make him sprint by pressing shift. This running thing in GTA4 is driving me nuts, makes him fall off buildings and the walking thing is absolute sh*t! angry.gif

• Like 1

try binding sprint to a different button than shift. Apparently if you make it the control button or something else handy, the shift button will make you run but not sprint. Should give you 3 different modes of moving on foot.

Well done rockstar, another winner sarcasm.gif

Niko's sprinting is equivalent to CJ's running. What I do is tap Shift quickly so that Niko runs faster and that's what I call sprint. wink.gif

alamuru420123

try binding sprint to a different button than shift. Apparently if you make it the control button or something else handy, the shift button will make you run but not sprint. Should give you 3 different modes of moving on foot.

Well done rockstar, another winner sarcasm.gif

This is the funniest thing! If I bind it to shift and put it "Always Sprint -> Toggle", Shift makes him sprint and if I press it again, it makes him walk. If I bind it to shift and put "Always Sprint -> Hold", pressing Shift makes him sprint again, but not run.

If I use Tab instead of Shift, and use "Always Sprint -> Hold", then he walks without tab, runs with Tab, and sprints when I tap tab continuously!

This is absolutely frustrating! angry.gif

Normally, Niko just walks. I can use Shift to make him run for his life.

Isn't there anything in between? Something like CJ in GTASA? By default he runs at a decent pace and we can make him sprint by pressing shift. This running thing in GTA4 is driving me nuts, makes him fall off buildings and the walking thing is absolute sh*t! angry.gif

I have it set to my middle mouse button and it's set to toggle on/off rather than hold. Niko will sprint for a while but then run out of steam and settle down to a jog.

X360 don't have this problem... when you move left stick Niko walks, pres A button he runs, taping make him sprint... i didn't find runnig on pc though...

X360 don't have this problem... when you move left stick Niko walks, pres A button he runs, taping make him sprint... i didn't find runnig on pc though...

Bind sprint to any other button (I use space)

not holding space: walk

holding space: jog

tapping space: sprint

• Best Bru 1

• 1 month later...

I don't get it. All I want is for him to jog everywhere without having to hold down a button. It's giving me carpel tunnel. Is this possible?

Thanks!

I don't get it. All I want is for him to jog everywhere without having to hold down a button. It's giving me carpel tunnel. Is this possible?

Thanks!

It's easy enough to use the normal WASD buttons for movement and to hold Shift to run/sprint. If you don't like it, go out and buy a controller. They make games easier.

I'm using an xbox360 wireless controller. I have to hold A to make him run. In the options there is a spot where you can pick toggle run, so I was hoping there was a way to 'always run'. Many games in the past have had this feature. Mashing a mutton for hours so he runs is kind of annoying.

If you use a controller but have the buttons mapped to keyboard presses, then the situation gets even stranger. (I have my Run button mapped to something other than Shift to avoid the "Sprinting" problem).

The Always Sprint setting = "Hold"

The Run button: Not holding it down

Left Analogue stick = Niko only walks and the camera is strongly locked behind him.

The Run button: Holding it down

Left Analogue stick = Niko will alter speed between walking and running depending on how far you push the analogue stick, but from stationary he will always start off in a run before settling down into the correct speed. The camera is a lot looser than in walking mode. (Tapping the Run button makes him Sprint).

The Always Sprint setting = "Toggle"

The Run button: Not holding it down

Left Analogue stick = Regardless of whether you have just tried to toggle Run on or off - Niko only walks and the camera is strongly locked behind him.

The Run button: Holding it down

Left Analogue stick = Niko will alter speed between walking and sprinting depending on how far you push the analogue stick, but from stationary he will always start off in a sprint before settling down into the correct speed. The camera is a lot looser than in walking mode.

I don’t know why the analogue stick isn’t set to behave the same as it is in every other game, i.e. Analogue! It was perfect in SanAndreas – the more you pushed the stick the faster CJ would move and if you pressed the Sprint key he would sprint. Perfect.

Wow, I didn't know there were three modes for running.. hell, didn't know there was a sprint toggle at all. I have been using the default control system and only bothered mapping some extra controls to my mouse (5 buttons). Thanks for the tip, I'll set it to Ctrl button and see if I can get all three modes.

Is it just me or the only game ever to have gotten the movement in third person right is Splinter Cell? That game feels like it was designed for PC from day 1. Use mouse scroll to increase/decrease speed, it's really cool watching Fisher change animations so smoothly. monocle.gif

Xbox wireless controller.

Stick forward =walk

Stick forward + hold down "A" =Sprint

Stick forward + Tap "A" fast =Run

Yes he runs

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to make Niko run all the time without continously pressing the "A" button on the Xbox controller for windows? I just switched to the controller and it is driving me nutz. Everything else works great with the controller but I am half tempted to switch back to my old one because I like to run around alot.

It seems weird that you can set run to always be on if you use the keyboard, but you can't if you use the controller.

I assume you actually mean sprint. If you hold down the run key you can RUN all the time. Continuously pressing the run key will enable you to sprint.

You're right, I got it backwards. I want to sprint all the time like I can with my keyboard. I can sprint all over the place with my controller if I jam a penny in between my shift and caps lock key and force the shift key down all the time, but it interupts some of my controller buttons. I guess I will just have to get used to pressing "A" continously until the button breaks.

PC guy here, and no, I don't like Xbox controller, that's why I have a PC tounge.gif .

Default keys in GTA IV: W = Niko walks

W+Shift = he runs (or sprints or whatever) and eventually he gets tired even if you don't tap or something.

In SA: W = CJ kind of run (I think is the same speed as when Niko "runs" inside a building - W+Shift)

That didn't make you tired as it was his "default" way of moving. You could just walk (as Niko) by W+Ctrl.

I dind't try any other combinations and didn't check much about it, but I thought too that would be nice to have a toggle to make Niko move like CJ without getting tired or the need of press another key.

• 3 years later...

I think I've found the ideal control configuration, one that allows you to walk, run, and spring whenever you want by just holding the correct button:

Just set the sprint controls to be LShift and Capslock.

When you want to jog/run, hold Caps. When you want to sprint, hold LShift. The game for some reason always treats LShift as a sprint button if you assign it to that.

lol, you bumped a four year old topic and didn't even have a real question? interesting.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
SERGEY_CHERISKOV

Just change the configuration, go to pause menu, mouse and keyboard options, map options or something like that you will see a Huge list, go to "on foot options" or something like that and change the sprint configuration, change to space bar and thats all, to jog stay pressing space, and to run press continously space.

Sorry for my bad English.