4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

User Pointers to make GTAIV run smoother

sushir

Hello ... Fellow GTA'ites ! sly.gif

I know R* screwed up here and there, but all is not lost ... Check the tips out below and help us help you help yourself !

People who are able to run the game smoothly enough, please post here as to what you think you did right ...

Coming back to the Topic At Hand. My system specs are as follows.

E8500 Core 2 Duo @ 3.16 Ghz

2 GB DDR2 667 Ram

Gigabyte GA-EG31MF-S2 (rev 1.1)

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1

nVidia 9800GTX (512 MB)

Acer 19" Wide Screen LCD

500GB SATA HDD

Runs the game perfectly (Not Maxed out though) ! No texture losses, No lags, No flickering shadows ! I played for 4 hours straight and loved every inch of it. (No re-rendering of scenes/objects when I turn in-game). Runs like a hot knife through butter for me. Maybe I suspect its all about how one maintains his/her system. A clean/fast PC should do just fine. Like Mine does. Screenshots will be placed here by request.

BTW, I have forced AA too... looks decent (I mean no jarring edges).

Possibly it all depends on certain factors one needs to get right. Here are some pointers.

1. Defragment the drive in which GTAIV is being installed. (Twice recommended)

2. Update the drivers for your grafics card at all costs before running.

3. Install .NET Framewrk 3.5 (service pack 1).

4. Update Direct X if needed.

5. Use CachemanXP (freeware) to avoid memory leaks.

6. Turn down windows animations / effects etc. tounge2.gif

7. Kill Explorer.exe if you suffer real lag/lock-ups.

8. Dont try the game on Maxed Out Settings.

9. Pray that an official patch comes out soon and the game runs even better. devil.gif

10. Optimise your grafics settings by experimentation.

11. Keep your PC clean of trojans/viruses/adware/spying softwares. (Run full scans before installing IV)

12. Update windows to the latest version.

13. (IMP) 'Force OFF' V-Sync from your graphics card Control Panel Application.

Here are the video settings I am using ... (Getting 35-40 FPS even when the scene looks busy ... very busy)

Video Mode : 1280x768 @ 75Hz sneaky2.gif

Texture : Medium (locked) confused.gif

Render Quality : Very high. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

View Distance : 45 Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Detail Distance : 45

Vehicle Density : 35

Shadow Density : 25

All you gamers out there, I disagree that IV is a lousy port. It is just not optimized at all. We can take care of that with a certain bit of care from our side.

inlove.gif ROCKSTAR GAMES inlove.gif

Video Mode : 1280x768 @ 75Hz  sneaky2.gif

Texture : Medium (locked)  confused.gif

Render Quality : Very high.  Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

View Distance : 45  Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

If you crank your view distance down it will unlock your texture options. Once you get it set to high crank your view distance back up. You will need to restart GTA for the new textures to take effect.

Video Mode : 1280x768 @ 75Hz  sneaky2.gif

Texture : Medium (locked)  confused.gif

Render Quality : Very high.  Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

View Distance : 45  Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

If you crank your view distance down it will unlock your texture options. Once you get it set to high crank your view distance back up. You will need to restart GTA for the new textures to take effect.

Awesome ! Works for me ! cool.gif Thanks man !

Silly me, Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif could'nt figure this out on my own since its been just 5 hours since the game landed into my lap lol.gif

For AMD-X2 Users with WinXP: Be sure to have "AMD Dual Core Optimizer" installed.

This gives a tremendous boost and avoids many freezes.

You noticed an improvement with GTA using that optimizer? I was thinking about downloading it but wasn't sure if GTA would make use of it.

You said:

"8. Dont try the game on Maxed Out Settings."

You mean it exacly as it stands?

You mean that I should not change the setting to max and then change back for fun?

For AMD-X2 Users with WinXP: Be sure to have "AMD Dual Core Optimizer" installed.

This gives a tremendous boost and avoids many freezes.

You noticed an improvement with GTA using that optimizer? I was thinking about downloading it but wasn't sure if GTA would make use of it.

I had the problem that after playing GTA for a while, like 10 minutes or so, the framerate dropped to 1fps and would not recover. With the installation of this Optimizer that problem disappeared smile.gif

The framerate stayed the same i think. So if you dont have this problem, maybe it does nothing for you. But i guess you could try it anyway.

You said:

"8. Dont try the game on Maxed Out Settings."

You mean it exacly as it stands?

You mean that I should not change the setting to max and then change back for fun?

Yeah man ! Exactly ...

The game might over-heat your CPU/GPU and it may reboot your system for fun !! notify.gif

But you may try cranking up your settings slowly step-by-step ... see how much your system can take ... rolleyes.gif

missing textures / strange black boxes / screen render tearing are sure signs that your system is going to the place you don't want it going ... as i said ... experiment a lot / but sensibly ... dont make erratic setting changes to the video settings unless you are okay with an unplanned sudden restart / or maybe a cooked GPU ! (remote possibility) smile.gif

Hello ... Fellow GTA'ites ! sly.gif

I know R* screwed up here and there, but all is not lost ... Check the tips out below and help us help you help yourself !

People who are able to run the game smoothly enough, please post here as to what you think you did right ...

Coming back to the Topic At Hand. My system specs are as follows.

E8500 Core 2 Duo @ 3.16 Ghz

2 GB DDR2 667 Ram

Gigabyte GA-EG31MF-S2 (rev 1.1)

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1

nVidia 9800GTX (512 MB)

Acer 19" Wide Screen LCD

500GB SATA HDD

Runs the game perfectly (Not Maxed out though) ! No texture losses, No lags, No flickering shadows ! I played for 4 hours straight and loved every inch of it. (No re-rendering of scenes/objects when I turn in-game). Runs like a hot knife through butter for me. Maybe I suspect its all about how one maintains his/her system. A clean/fast PC should do just fine. Like Mine does. Screenshots will be placed here by request.

BTW, I have forced AA too... looks decent (I mean no jarring edges).

Possibly it all depends on certain factors one needs to get right. Here are some pointers.

1. Defragment the drive in which GTAIV is being installed. (Twice recommended)

2. Update the drivers for your grafics card at all costs before running.

3. Install .NET Framewrk 3.5 (service pack 1).

4. Update Direct X if needed.

5. Use CachemanXP (freeware) to avoid memory leaks.

6. Turn down windows animations / effects etc. tounge2.gif

7. Kill Explorer.exe if you suffer real lag/lock-ups.

8. Dont try the game on Maxed Out Settings.

9. Pray that an official patch comes out soon and the game runs even better. devil.gif

10. Optimise your grafics settings by experimentation.

11. Keep your PC clean of trojans/viruses/adware/spying softwares. (Run full scans before installing IV)

12. Update windows to the latest version.

13. (IMP) 'Force OFF' V-Sync from your graphics card Control Panel Application.

Here are the video settings I am using ... (Getting 35-40 FPS even when the scene looks busy ... very busy)

Video Mode : 1280x768 @ 75Hz sneaky2.gif

Texture : Medium (locked) confused.gif

Render Quality : Very high. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

View Distance : 45 Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

All you gamers out there, I disagree that IV is a lousy port. It is just not optimized at all. We can take care of that with a certain bit of care from our side.

inlove.gif ROCKSTAR GAMES inlove.gif

Good stuff, i got the game working pretty good as well. I'm just wondering how did you get AA working? Thats the only thing i can't do right now.

Our rigs are pretty similar, instead i have a e8400 and 4 gigs of ram. Thats the only difference.

did all that mate, i do it for every game. they run 70+ frames, this game runs 30- frames. despicable.

specs:

amd 64 x2 6400+

4gb ram

8800gtx

drivers updated, dx9, sufficient power supply, etc,etc.

stop coming in here telling everyone it's the computers. don't be fooled by rockstar just because they copied id by saying they designed the game for future hardware. what a ridiculous claim.

then please tell us how a computing system from 3 years ago can run the game smoothly...oops glaring logical error alert yet again. hire a novelist or script writer to write your lies for you, rockstar punks.

How did you force AA? it is not possible, show us some screenshots or it didnt work...

He didn't get AA working. Nobody can. Try as they might, its all in there head.

AA will NOT work with GTA4 currently regardless of what you use or how you try to enable it. NOTHING will force AA to this game.

NOTHING.

Get it yet?

Just in case...

NO AA WITH GTA4. PERIOD.

system specs

Q6600 no overclock (I overclocked it once, and it wasn't stable. So I gave up on it)

EVGA GTX 260

6 gigs of ram

Vista X64 bit

Dual 17" samsung LCD monitors.

I was running it on medium texture, everything else maxed out. I ran Fraps last night, and found it was dropping down to 12-18 FPS when I was driving. It wasn't bad, but to keep it from possibly crashing I dropped the texture setting to low, keeping the rest maxed out still. Its been running at 25-45 FPS even in star junction while dropping handfuls of grenades in Star Junction.

It crashed on my a few times after I first installed it, but I had the settings turned up higher. It has not crashed since lowering the graphic settings. As for everyone thinking they should be able to play this game maxed out, look at how many cars and pedestrians are on the map at one time. You will see cars driving on other islands, not just withing a small radius of you.

Crashed today, after playing for maybe 30 minutes? Ran out of video memory.

Fired it back up after a little break. Some how all of my graphic settings were reset to high, no wonder it crashed cry.gif

Now I don't have the faintest idea why, but your steps do work. I didn't have .net 3.5sp1, and cacheman, and I used different settings, the rest was the same.

I used to have max 40fps, with 25 in StarJunction, now I get 30 in SJ, and 50 in most of Brooklyn, and the whole seems to run a bit smoother.

My specs:

E8200 @ 3.4

ATI 4850 - 512M

XPsp3 - 32bit - 2G RAM

system specs

Q6600 no overclock (I overclocked it once, and it wasn't stable. So I gave up on it)

EVGA GTX 260

6 gigs of ram

Vista X64 bit

Dual 17" samsung LCD monitors.

I was running it on medium texture, everything else maxed out. I ran Fraps last night, and found it was dropping down to 12-18 FPS when I was driving. It wasn't bad, but to keep it from possibly crashing I dropped the texture setting to low, keeping the rest maxed out still. Its been running at 25-45 FPS even in star junction while dropping handfuls of grenades in Star Junction.

It crashed on my a few times after I first installed it, but I had the settings turned up higher. It has not crashed since lowering the graphic settings. As for everyone thinking they should be able to play this game maxed out, look at how many cars and pedestrians are on the map at one time. You will see cars driving on other islands, not just withing a small radius of you.

You might want to climb a tall object and whip out your sniper rifle, the "distant vehicles" are nothing more than low quality objects made from about 10 polygons doing scripted movement, then even fade out at the point standard traffic fades in.

stop coming in here telling everyone it's the computers. don't be fooled by rockstar just because they copied id by saying they designed the game for future hardware. what a ridiculous claim.

then please tell us how a computing system from 3 years ago can run the game smoothly...oops glaring logical error alert yet again. hire a novelist or script writer to write your lies for you, rockstar punks.

That is indeed true ... My computer seems to handle it well... played ALL night smile.gif

NO AA WITH GTA4. PERIOD.

Hmmm... I had set it up (forced AA) in the nVIDIA control panel to 16x ... doesnt seem to work. I took some screens for the game after this and still some rough adges can be seen ... ur right maybe ! suicidal.gif

NO AA WITH GTA4. PERIOD.

Hmmm... I had set it up (forced AA) in the nVIDIA control panel to 16x ... doesnt seem to work. I took some screens for the game after this and still some rough adges can be seen ... ur right maybe ! suicidal.gif

Not maybe, its the game itself. At the risk of angering the knownothing trolls, its just not possible at this time, through any means whatsoever.

Now I don't have the faintest idea why, but your steps do work. I didn't have .net 3.5sp1, and cacheman, and I used different settings, the rest was the same.

I used to have max 40fps, with 25 in StarJunction, now I get 30 in SJ, and 50 in most of Brooklyn, and the whole seems to run a bit smoother.

My specs:

E8200 @ 3.4

ATI 4850 - 512M

XPsp3 - 32bit - 2G RAM

Awesome ! Glad it worked for you. No reason why this shouldn't work for most of us ... its just pampering/prepping your PC to do a good job (utilize its full potential) ... w/o playing too much with the command line stuff and without trying any software stunts. smile.gif