2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

JZersche

[handling.dat] Explained

Dutchy3010

Please don't spam and don't double post. Thanks.

mortiss

Hello there,

i have applied the magic-patch to the game. I love that crappy blista compact so i tried to modify it.

But - everytime i change the handling - the car burns down the tires. I mean it doesn't get that awesome topspeed.

could somebody help me - or try to modify the blista gt for me? (first case would be great altough :-) )

Greetings

Mortiss

PS: Does the Version of the game affect the handling.dat ?

SLAYERMAGGOT
Hello there,

i have applied the magic-patch to the game. I love that crappy blista compact so i tried to modify it.

But - everytime i change the handling - the car burns down the tires. I mean it doesn't get that awesome topspeed.

could somebody help me - or try to modify the blista gt for me? (first case would be great altough :-) )

Greetings

Mortiss

PS: Does the Version of the game affect the handling.dat ?

Well, if you have patched your GTA IV to 1.04 you don't need to apply the magic patch anymore and if you do burnouts with cars the tires gonna get destroyed. dozingoff.gif

And no, the patch 1.04 don't change the handling.dat wink.gif

I could make a handling for you, just pm me icon14.gif

rocstar196
ya prolly not gonna finish this. Can't be bothered lol.

I think this thread is D-E-A-D.

GO GO ARMY!!!

bbq.gifbbq.gif

rah.gifrah.gif

panic.gifpanic.gif

JZersche
ya prolly not gonna finish this. Can't be bothered lol.

I think this thread is D-E-A-D.

GO GO ARMY!!!

bbq.gifbbq.gif

rah.gifrah.gif

panic.gifpanic.gif

yeah... its dead. Damn. Anyone want to help me finish it? I think i'd be willing.

johncs154

A whole year and still no answers LOL

r0llinlacs

the amount of smoke the tires create is totally dependant on the drivetrain. more force helps, but its all in the drivetrain.

IE: any combination of 4wd will produce minimal smoke.

full FWD or full RWD will produce big clouds of smoke, no matter the "force"

just thought id add that.

Herc

I went ahead and Tried to change a few things to observe the results. I changed the cars mass to 16KG, saved - No change in handeling. I changed a few things but nothing seems to take any effect.

I havent Modded GTA for a while now and feel like a noob again.

Any Ideas?

Herc

My apologies, the "filelist.pak" that I overlooked, fixed the problem.

KarinSultanRS

This topic is great.

Am working on some new sky transport and want to get the speeds just right.

Keep up the good work!

ronnie3

maybe someone could help me. I use notebook to open handling.dat and change the data i need , but when i go to save, it says "accessis denied." I have already made sure that it is in read-only. I could really use some help anyone know what the problem is? Thanks

jani201

ok, i translated the italian version of the handling dat explanation. here it is:

(A) vehicle identifier - Identifier of the vehicle that is the name of the vehicle (in some cases will not match the name of the vehicle in the game). [max 14 characters]

(B) fMass - Mass / weight of the vehicle in Kg

© fDragMult - Drag Multiplier, or slippage during cornering. Considerably decreasing the value of the vehicle sterzerà increase substantially, the control of the vehicle will be very unstable.

(D) nPercentSubmerged - Percentage submerged, ie the percentage (in height) which remains submerged when the vehicle falls into the water before sinking. [values from 10 to 120].

(E) CentreOfMass.x - Center of mass axis X, which are concentrated where the mass of the vehicle along the X axis (width). [values between -10.0 and 10.0]

(F) CentreOfMass.y - Center of mass on the Y axis, which is concentrated where the mass of the vehicle along the Y axis (length). Increasing the value, the mass moves to the front, reducing the value, the mass moves to the rear (high values are boosted vehicle). [values between -10.0 and 10.0]

(G) CentreOfMass.z - Center of mass on the Z axis, ie where is concentrated the mass of the vehicle along the Z axis (diagonal). To make the car stable, the value is set to 0 or slightly negative. [values between -10.0 and 10.0]

Transmission:

(Tt) m_nDriveBias - Indicates the traction of the vehicle. The values range from 0.0, which is RWD, 1.0, which is front-wheel drive (4WD are therefore theoretically 0.5).

(Tg) m_nDriveGears - Amount of gears.

(Tf) m_fDriveForce - Engine.

(Ti) m_fDriveInertia - Inertia of the engine, ie the time taken to decelerate when you release the accelerator.

(Tv) m_fV - Speed

(Tb) m_fBrakeForce - Strength of the brakes.

(TBB) m_fBrakeBias - brake balance between front and rear. Higher values move the balance forward.

(Ts) m_fSteeringLock - maximum steering angle curve, measured in degrees.

Wheel drive:

(Wc +) m_fTractionCurveMax - Estate and maximum recovery of the vehicle during cornering.

(Wc-) m_fTractionCurveMin - Estate and minimal recovery of the vehicle during cornering.

(Wc-) m_fTractionCurveLateral - Estate and recovery side of the vehicle during cornering.

(Wc |) m_fTractionCurveLongitudinal - Estate and recovery of the vehicle in longitudinal curve.

(Was +) m_fTractionSpringDeltaMax - Maximum distance between the suspension?

(Wh) m_fTractionBias - balanced traction, namely the relationship between the seal / grip (grip) front and rear. Higher values move the balance forward.

Suspension:

(Sf) m_fSuspensionForce - Force suspensions (Cacolo with the formula 1 / (force * Number wheels). The strength increase, more suspensions will be tough.

(SCD) m_fSuspensionCompDamp - Strength and intensity of the vibrations of the suspension.

(SRD) m_fSuspensionReboundDamp - Strength and intensity of the vibrations of the suspension at higher speeds. Increase for a tighter seal at top speed.

(Up) m_fSuspensionUpperLimit - Maximum height of the vehicle body by suspension in action.

(Sl) m_fSuspensionLowerLimit - Minimum height of the bodywork of the vehicle by suspension in action.

(Sr) m_fSuspensionRaise - height of the suspension.

(Sb) m_fSuspensionBias - Rappporto between the strength of the suspension front and rear.

Damage:

(DC) m_fCollisionDamageMult - Damage to the collision, ie the "amount" of damage in collisions.

(DW) m_fWeaponDamageMult - Damage to shells, namely the resistance of the vehicle with guns.

(Dd) m_fDeformationDamageMult - Collision Deformation, ie the "quantity" of deformation of the vehicle depending on the force of impact.

(De) m_fEngineDamageMult - Damage to the engine, ie the "amount" of damage to the engine in shock.

Miscellaneous:

(Ms) m_fSeatOffsetDist - Distance between door and seat.

(Mv) m_nMonetaryValue - Value for money.

(MMF) mFlags - Flags of models (models).

(MHF) hFlags - handling flags.

(But) m_nAnimGroup - Given that manages the animations when you enter or exit a vehicle, it steals, and more.

seems like some words coudln't be translated, like estate.

Edited by jani201

MasterW3

Damage Section.

If you feel that cars aren't taking the kind of damage they should when you wreck, increase these values.

Dc, Damage Collision, the higher it is, the more damage done to the car from collisions.

Dd, Damage Deformation, the higher, the more amount of deformation damage the car takes when it collides.

This means your wheels/suspension will be much easier to bend and lock up.

Just ram a car in the wheel, you'll see.

De, Damage Engine, the higher this is, the quicker you will draw smoke, and blow the engine.

Dw, Damage Weapons, the higher it is, the more damage weapons do to the car.

i think this number is fine where it's at, but that's for you to decide if you mod your game.

----

If you want to increase the realism of wrecking, try adding 1 to Dc, Dd, and De.

it will take a few high speed hits to disable a car.

doing jumps can damage your suspension, and occasionally lock up a wheel.

you can still ram a Road Black and drive away, though it can be risky if you hit it wrong.

adding 2 to those three is a bit much, but if you want to ALMOST guarantee a 100mph crash to toast your car, use that.

hitting a curb will mess up a car pretty good sometimes.. coming off the ground and landing a little bit nose-down will surely do a lot of damage.

Ramming a Road Block is NOT recomended, AT ALL.

adding 1.5 to each seems about right, 2-3 wrecks finish off a car.

often doing a massive jump will lock up wheels, though you can land right, and be OK, I recommend only doing those as last ditch efforts for a guaranteed getaway, chances are, you can drive the crippled car, but you'll be switching real soon.

Road Block ramming isn't recommended, you'll most likely hurt the car really bad, but could still get away if you didn't lock up a wheel.

adding 1.5 to De is still almost too much engine damage, on the slopes, AI cars will be rear ending eachother as they always do, and lots of car fires and explosions will occur.

my recommended settings for realistic damage would be:

Dc +1.5

Dw +0

Dd +1.5

De +1

This is the way i play, and on a 3-4 star chase, i'll often go through about 4-6 cars sometimes getting away.

(if i had a 360 controller, instead of keyboard, i might do better.).

ace_topspeed

I know handling editing, as much as i can make a good handling for RWD and 4WD cars!

But,there is a problem for FWD cars,

my car burnouts while the gear is raising(i mean the gear is changing from a lower gear to a higher gear like 1 to 2)!!!

But,i have found out that when i increase The velocity too much on RWD and FWD(more on FWD) i have burnouts. i have added drive bias to 4WD for removing burnouts,e.g. for the McLaren F1 that the velocity is 198.0 and i saw when i put 0.0 drive bias my car burnouts while raising the gear and i put the drive bias to 0.2 an that removes burnouts and makes the car 4WD,but i dont want a 4WD McLaren F1!!!

now that i am making a handling for Dacia 1310(that is FWD),now the velocity is 133.0 and i saw my car burnouts 3 seconds when raising the gear and BURNOUTS WHILE TURNING that corrupts the car's steering!!!(the old GTA IV FWD cars are like that but they have less burnout while turning and no burnouts while raising the gear!!!)

when i have tested RD21 Custom Car handling v3 on a seat leon cupra R(Its FWD) by X-pro,i saw the velocity was 195.0 WITH NO BURNOUTS,EVEN WHILE TURNING!!!!

Im CONFUSED!

rolleyes.gif

can someone help me?

thx

ovanova

Hi there. Can anyone explain the model flags and handling flags?

ZZCOOL

thankyou this was really helpful i might make a handling line smile.gif

BlackVenom

Looked through and didn't see one... Can someone make a handling/steering explanation? I get all the others.. but right now my cars are fast and clumsy. lol.

jani201
maybe someone could help me. I use notebook to open handling.dat and change the data i need , but when i go to save, it says "accessis denied." I have already made sure that it is in read-only. I could really use some help anyone know what the problem is? Thanks

remove the read-only to allow saving. and if you have done that then i dont know.

XxXbLaCk0uT

Some of modded cars now flips but i dont know how to solve it. Tried to change Zmass but doesnt work.

Video here:

https://tv.rockstargames.com/videos/view/id/0997CB1D720DBA36

Edit data: HUNTLEY  2500.0 0.3 85 0.0 0.0 -0.7 0.35 4 0.180 1.0 130.0 0.20 0.550 0.26 40.0 1.12 0.95 17.0 0.13 0.4869 1.6 1.0 0.8 0.048 -0.10 0.0 0.5 1.0 0.6 1.2 1.5 0.0 55000 440010 0 0 

Orig data: HUNTLEY      2900.0  7.0   85	0.0 0.0 -0.15    0.5  5  0.20  1.0 145.0	0.2  0.65 0.7  35.0  1.15 0.90 14.5 0.15 0.49  1.4  0.9  0.9  0.18 -0.20 0.0  0.5    1.0 1.0 0.7 1.5  0.0  40000  	440010  1    0

a242j

Hi

Problem - When the car turns right it's leaning to right (for example 0'16" - 0'20"), not to left as normal.

Question - What value should change to solve this problem ?

Bye

BlackVenom
Some of modded cars now flips but i dont know how to solve it. Tried to change Zmass but doesnt work.

Video here:

https://tv.rockstargames.com/videos/view/id/0997CB1D720DBA36

Edit data: HUNTLEY  2500.0 0.3 85 0.0 0.0 -0.7 0.35 4 0.180 1.0 130.0 0.20 0.550 0.26 40.0 1.12 0.95 17.0 0.13 0.4869 1.6 1.0 0.8 0.048 -0.10 0.0 0.5 1.0 0.6 1.2 1.5 0.0 55000 440010 0 0 

Orig data: HUNTLEY      2900.0  7.0   85	0.0 0.0 -0.15    0.5  5  0.20  1.0 145.0	0.2  0.65 0.7  35.0  1.15 0.90 14.5 0.15 0.49  1.4  0.9  0.9  0.18 -0.20 0.0  0.5    1.0 1.0 0.7 1.5  0.0  40000  	440010  1    0

It's either you edited it's suspension (raised the car too far) or the z mass is too high.

Rob.Zombie
Hi

Problem - When the car turns right it's leaning to right (for example 0'16" - 0'20"), not to left as normal.

Question - What value should change to solve this problem ?

Bye

I think that's because the center of mass is way too low. Trying moving it up a bit and see if it works. Also make the x and y coordinates 0, just to make sure.

maxmanapple

Hi, i'm new to modding, can someone brief me towards making GTAIV cars behave more like real life counterparts? Also, what are the measurements for the various sections?

Ekon13

i don''t know if it's the right section but i want to ask how can you enlarge the wheels of a car

Venlonaer

my questions are

what value could make the car get more visual damage?

I tried some things but I can't get hold of the right value <- I increased Dd and it worked! I also found out that some modded cars don't have a good damage model

i'd set Dd 2.0-2.3 for realistic damage for sedan sized cars :3

2 other questions

how to make the tires bulletproof

how to make the windows bulletproof, or more or less like the PMP600 windows after three shots it breaks

Edited by xbox360kris

CJohnson second

I have a question about the handling configuration and i would really apreciate if anyone could answer me

Let's say that i wanna make the infernus be more like it's model based car: Lamborghini Murciélago.

So i go to the lamborghini website: http://www.lamborghini.com/ and i find a sh#t load of information about the murciélago there, namely: frame, bodywork, steering, wheels and tires, engine, timing, ignitation sistem, fuel system\injection, lubrification system, cooling system, transmission, brakes, suspension, performance, dimensions, capacities and comsuption.

Wich information from there do i need, is there any missing, if so wich one and how do i turn all the information that i got into a handling line?

Plz explain this to me as if i were dumb as a fly.

Artsu

[Dd] = means how much the car will destroy in a crash 0.1 = almost nothing happens, 2.0 = like in real life, +3.0 = no sense at all, the car goes in such a bad shape after a crash that you cant even drive it tounge.gif

raven_g20

what i cant understand is that this game is soooo old now and yet i havent been able to find at least one handling configuration that is normal...every single mod out there has flaws...not one of them steers like e.g. nfs or the old GTA games...its sooooooo bad....and i cant make one myself unfortunately no time...but its just strange that there isnt a single handling config that works... confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

vividman

hey ik how to do this and all but it won't let me save my changes to the file. help?

jani201

EDIT: sry for bumping old topic -.-