3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

JostVice

Documenting GTA IV Data files

eagle016
Hey eagle or anyone.. Have you yet figured out how to edit ped behavior/personality ? I tried to edit some values but caused at first a wicked result but I think it mighta been a glitch, dint try to recreate.. I had edited the civil services, cops,fire etc to hate eachother but, even cops hating cops, but to respect criminals.

Well, I thought hmm maybe the cops will leme get by w/ stuff and chase medics or whatever .. Well, they dint, I tried calling medics/fire to the scene where cops were, nothin so I ran my car into a cop on foot, 1 star, they behaved as expected, then I ran him down, 2 stars, I backed up away from them, I tried to dial medics, then when I did, I got all stars instantly... so I narrowly escaped that..

I still think it was just glitchy, cuz after I got in my safehouse, saved, all stars were gone, I went into the hall, there was a cop pointing a gun at me, I had no stars, he chased me outside, then another 2 cops did the same thing, I thought WT ??? They chased me all way around the block, never firing, no stars.. I finally left the area, seemt ok..

I've not been able to keep tinkering cuz of time, anyone successfully altered behaviors ?

I noticed the "HATE" "RESPECT" thing doesn't really do anything. If you're editing the "ped.ide" for that, I believe that "Relationships.ide" (I think it's IDE) is for IV and the other file is for SA.

As for the personality, I've only messed with it a few times when I first replaced cops with peds. Now this time though I didn't touch the "personality.dat" (I think that's the filename) and sometimes with 1 star they don't do anything as long as I don't fire a gun or try to fight them.

In the "peds.ide" you can change the "COP" into "CIVMALE" and the cops will no longer do anything. I believe this is all I had to change for it to happen and it's a pretty successful way to disable cops. You'll still get stars but you can just leave the area and lose them.

I've been doing other stuff around the house so I haven't had a chance to mod anything or mess around and test stuff lately.

@ pinky,

I've been trying to get ped riots for a while and I got an idea today that I'm gonna test out tomorrow. I'll get back to you about whether it works or not.

Disastorm

is there any way to change your character model to any of the other characters by editing any of the files?

eagle016

At the moment I don't believe there is. There's only a few things you can get away with on modifying your player in "peds.ide" that don't crash the game.

I think we just have to wait to be able to edit IMG/TXD files and then just take the skin of one ped and replace Niko's with that one.

I've tried a few times editing different things but it either never changed anything or just crashed. I'd like to know for sure though whether or not there's anything we can do right now to change his appearance, but I don't think there is one.

steveb07
Insert rare cars into traffic works ! smile.gif. I edited the last columns of the "vehicles.ide", and I inserted the name of the cars I wanted in the same groups then the blista(cargrp.dat). You don't see the cars in each street but there is sometime one of them tounge.gif.

How? you changed what exactly in the last column ? the infernus spawns now while you drive some other car?

Costar

I noticed the "HATE" "RESPECT" thing doesn't really do anything. If you're editing the "ped.ide" for that, I believe that "Relationships.ide" (I think it's IDE) is for IV and the other file is for SA.

As for the personality, I've only messed with it a few times when I first replaced cops with peds. Now this time though I didn't touch the "personality.dat" (I think that's the filename) and sometimes with 1 star they don't do anything as long as I don't fire a gun or try to fight them.

In the "peds.ide" you can change the "COP" into "CIVMALE" and the cops will no longer do anything. I believe this is all I had to change for it to happen and it's a pretty successful way to disable cops. You'll still get stars but you can just leave the area and lose them.

I've been doing other stuff around the house so I haven't had a chance to mod anything or mess around and test stuff lately.

@ pinky,

I've been trying to get ped riots for a while and I got an idea today that I'm gonna test out tomorrow. I'll get back to you about whether it works or not.

O ok, so it snds like you had already done what I did last night.. I've edited quite a few of the ped & ped grp files...

I had atlered the cops combat level, removed instance of weapons and changed their +...+ label to "murderrunaway" and ofcourse "unarmed-ped" ..

I also edited the pedgrp.dat & deleted the N_Y_cops or some such ... so maybe thats where they went..

Updating: Ok eagle, I put the cops back on the street but left my "murderrunaway" etc intact, I changed their labels like you said in ped.ide to other things, CIVM/CIVFEM or Medic (its funny hearin the cops scream like women when flyin through the windshield etc) and so far, I've crosst into the other city w/ all stars and tho there are cops/swat all over, they see me and some swat are on foot following me "aiming invisible weapons" but dont shoot or approach my car,, hmm k, someone is shooting at me, I think its the "invisible" helis ... so far its jus damaged the car but nothin has hit me YET...

I've not installt that patch yet either..

I have about 6 saves on my account, I noticed when I tried to sign in to WLIve, it gave me an error about the net connection (as I disabled it first) I "x't" outta all that and continued, the game loaded up my last save, so ... maybe this is how you can still save/load offline by disabling connection during gameplay...

Anyways, I was tryin to get around to something like disabling cops but I did want them to fight w/ fireman/medics/eachother, that woulda been cool ..

Ty for the info..

Edited by Costar

eagle016

So I tried changing the peds 'CIVMALE' info into different gangs, but as I thought, I just makes them disappear from the street. It DID make some of the cab drivers carry around guns, though so they would shoot at you instead of just trying to fight.

man2104

@KickyMcAssington

The gun will shoot the new weapon as projectile only.

It cannot be picked up.

I guess the only way to pick up the new weapon is thru. mem editing.

If the AI ped is able to spawn with the new weapon, then we can kill them to pick it up.

Would someone do an experiment on AI ped?

Costar

So I tried changing the peds 'CIVMALE' info into different gangs, but as I thought, I just makes them disappear from the street. It DID make some of the cab drivers carry around guns, though so they would shoot at you instead of just trying to fight.

I've tried a few things but I havent been able to get peds/cops to take eachother out.. Its funny how you can get them to run away, seems like there has to be something there .. The problem is, its like there has to be an event that takes place, something to cause peds/cops to fight eachother, yet as the game is structured, nothing "activates" fighting/gunfire except a certain action NORMALLY performed by the player but when it occurs, the negative action is directed towards the player..

However, we know that random acts in the game do produce something of the desired result, a criminal running, cops chasing shooting them .. A car smash up or a ped getting hit by a car, causes a fight to ensue .. So, it'd seem there must be some way to take advantage of that if its not encrypted..

I did change some of Niko's traits in "pedpersonality.dat", I'm not positive on the limits but I think the meleemartiallevel% is 100, & thats what I have it at, I THINK the others proly max at either 5 or 10.. I noticed I can use the baseball bat to bash the heck outta cars & whatnot, I've even flipped cars w/ it. Its strange how it can flip a car but not knock a ped 20 ft into the air like you might expect ...

O & good idea resignator! I havent even begun to play w/ the weapons but I know you guys have been alot w/ em, they look really cool, I liked the pistol RPG and also the puncha car & send it flyin, heh

Edited by Costar

Rukkia

Bump, because It's sometimes hard as f*ck trying to find this thread.

JostVice

Anyone tried looking at the IDEs? as someone pointed, looks like IPL is now inside IDE someway too... Looked in pc/data/maps you can find in each subfolder that there are 4 files: Ide, XPL, (could be a xbox leftover, don't know...), WPL (windows placement list?) and a IMG with the models/textures and some other stuff.

The IDE structure I could guess from a IDE inside jersey folder:

WDR(model) name, WTD (texture), Drawdistance, flag?, 0, X, Y, Z, rotationX, rotationY, rotationZ, ?, 0, 0, ?, LOD?

Also.. vehicle models inside vehicles.img are stored as WFT, and these ones are WDR ? Well, nothing really about data...

ArkangelJosh

# NOTE: The names and paths in this file are CASESENSITIVE on PS3 so don't f*ck 'em up.

#this has been ordered to reflect the order on the disk

Lols found this comment on the images.txt file

Also found this interesting

Name : Moveblend.dat - contains some parameters for blended ped animation.

# Author : James Broad

#

# For each movement anim group in the game, we can specify a fallback group. If any movement anims

# are missing from a movement group, then the game will look to this fallback group for the missing

# anims. Currently only 1 level of fallback is supported - ie. it is not recursive.

# Not all movement groups are suitable for having a fallback group - if a cutdown movement group does

# not have a fully-featured fallback group, then the ped's motion will simply not blend the missing

# elements. For example if we just have the forwards motion, then that ped will not lean as they take

# turns.

#

# Simple file format as follows :

#

# MOVEMENT_GROUP movement_group_name FALLBACK_GROUP fallback_group_name

in the moveblend.dat file

Edited by ArkangelJosh

ArkangelJosh

BTW i just made Little jacob a cop im just making a video now amusing.

He is in the cop carvideo

Edited by ArkangelJosh

Shadow-Link

Anyone tried looking at the IDEs? as someone pointed, looks like IPL is now inside IDE someway too... Looked in pc/data/maps you can find in each subfolder that there are 4 files: Ide, XPL, (could be a xbox leftover, don't know...), WPL (windows placement list?) and a IMG with the models/textures and some other stuff.

The IDE structure I could guess from a IDE inside jersey folder:

WDR(model) name, WTD (texture), Drawdistance, flag?, 0, X, Y, Z, rotationX, rotationY, rotationZ, ?, 0, 0, ?, LOD?

Also.. vehicle models inside vehicles.img are stored as WFT, and these ones are WDR ? Well, nothing really about data...

I already posted some info about the IDE files a few pages back (not sure if it's right).

The xpl and wpl files look pretty much the same in an Hex editor (mirrored lines though). Also some IDE files only got an img file and no wpl or xpl file at all. Didn't try to delete the wpl/xpl files yet. Maybe they don't do anything at all..

tomj

Great thread, lots of helpful information.

Only one problem I'm having though, I cant make melee do any extra damage. I'd love one hit kills with anything melee, but no matter what I change damage_base value to, nothing changes.

Can anyone help?

nebura

How to disable vehicle's dirt ?

Copcars are so dirty and cannnot wash....

0ne

Hi,

Anyone knows how to insert Comet,Coquette,Infernus and other rare cars into the traffic ? I've try to change the last column in the vehicles.ide but that doesn't work.

Thanks! smile.gif

The car spawning system sucks big time.i tried for about 30 mins to get an infernus in traffic but without success. it seems thou that if u have an infernus in ur parking place like i had, and drive it, you will eventually find another one and another. i added the infernus to other groups of peds in cargroup.dat and also increased the frequently thing in vehicles.ide but again with no luck. if anyone knows how to make it work please tell us. or if they found an infernus in the traffic please post the car you were driving and zone.

edit: Comets and Coquettes are findable tounge.gif

Try changing the (Mv) Monetary Value in handling.dat to a lower value.

Having a high value means the vehicle will only spawn in "rich" neighborhoods. Lowering the value will make the car appear in "poor"neighborhoods. I think there is more poor areas then rich in GTA IV, I don't know.. lower the Mv and you might get some more in game.

.:Rodrigo:.

The usable weapon names are:

UNUSED0, EPISODIC_1-EPISODIC_24

We have plenty of empty slots.

Side effect of using these slots is not known yet.

Those unused slots might have something to do with the DLC (episodes, left from XBox 360 version?). As there seem to be new weapons, at least one, in The Lost and Dammned monocle.gif

Edited by .:Rodrigo:.

Demonith

hoaw can i make ped's to have more force an unarmed ped?

That will be awsome or how make niko big jump or somthing

well bred filly

Can vehicles.ide or a similar file be used to swap cars, so the spawning cheats can be used for different vehicles?

To test it, I tried switching the cognoscenti with the stretch in vehicles.ide with poor results. Replacing the second field merely resulted in blank white textures in the car's interior, and replacing the game name didn't work either. Changing the first field seemed to just overwrite the existence of the car altogether, so the spawning cheat would just crash the game.

Demonith

Hi i need somthing ammm i need backup of pedgrp file plz can anybodey upload it plzz bat not codet smile.gif

alecto123
Can vehicles.ide or a similar file be used to swap cars, so the spawning cheats can be used for different vehicles?

To test it, I tried switching the cognoscenti with the stretch in vehicles.ide with poor results. Replacing the second field merely resulted in blank white textures in the car's interior, and replacing the game name didn't work either. Changing the first field seemed to just overwrite the existence of the car altogether, so the spawning cheat would just crash the game.

I'm pretty sure the spawn cheats don't use that file as a reference.

Does anyone happen to know which file the info on phone cheats are contained in?

.:Rodrigo:.

Does anyone happen to know which file the info on phone cheats are contained in?

Well, I think cheats are hardcoded and if they're aren't they should be in a script file.

Demonith
Hi i need somthing ammm i need backup of pedgrp file plz can anybodey upload it plzz bat not codet smile.gif

cryani.gifcryani.gif comon folks cryani.gif

alecto123

Well, I think cheats are hardcoded and if they're aren't they should be in a script file.

Shame... Do we have anything to open the .sco files yet?

edit: unrelated but has anyone else noticed all the unused motorcycle textures/models in vehicles.img?

There's 8 of them, all right at the bottom - wolfsbane, revenant, nightblade, lycan, hexer, diabolus, daemon and angel. Perhaps something to do with DLC?

Edited by alecto123

pinky

Shame... Do we have anything to open the .sco files yet?

edit: unrelated but has anyone else noticed all the unused motorcycle textures/models in vehicles.img?

There's 8 of them, all right at the bottom - wolfsbane, revenant, nightblade, lycan, hexer, diabolus, daemon and angel. Perhaps something to do with DLC?

Yes, it seems DLC is actually AIC (already in content).

well bred filly

Hm. Well, if that's the case is there any way to manipulate any other files to trick the spawn cheats into using different cars?

jos116
Hm. Well, if that's the case is there any way to manipulate any other files to trick the spawn cheats into using different cars?

Nah, there was (in San Andreas at least) an easier way of assigning spawn cheats. You could assign witc car it had to spawn with that cheat. Alltough, it has ben a while since ive worked in that area.

So maybe its in IV too?

well bred filly

Yeah, I think that'd work just as well--but the difficulty is finding out where that data is stored.