2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

JostVice

Documenting GTA IV Data files

JostVice

I think it could be a good idea to start out documenting the differents data files found in GTA IV, that we could later add to the wiki: Gtamodding wiki

There are a lots of SA files still in the data folders, most of them are unused (carmods.dat, clothes.dat..) others changed (timecyc.dat, handling.cfg...) and the rest are new, we could follow a structure in this topic, if you find out something regarding a file, post with your info and we will discuss, testing and so on turn.gif

Let's start:

Scenarios.dat (/common/data/) - Miscelaneous actions of peds in the city (fixing car, sitting...)

vehOff.csv (/common/data) - Contain the camera positions for each car

weaponinfo.xml (/common/data) - All the weapon behaviour is here (damage, clip, anim...)

timecyc.dat (/pc/data) - Controls all regarding the time cycle, there are smaller files (timecycmodifierX) with the variations of the timecyc inside interiors/zones.

Edited by Jost_Vice

pinky

So far I moddified carcols and handling, as well as setting all MP clothing to be unlocked at level 0.

user posted image user posted image

I can vouch carcols and indeed clothing unlock did work while playing MP.

user posted image

My only concern now is that MP will be open to cheaters, weps data wont be an issue as it will hit you as hard as it hits others but car handling and player stats will be the big problem.

I have tried modifying the relationship data to create riot scenarios but I have had no real luck with it yet. Maybe going to have to alter tempers in another ped stat file.

As far as carcols go, first two colours are your primary and secondary carcols and third is your specular colour. You can use the third to get more interesting colours on your vehicle.

On four colour cars the same as above but the fourth colour is for the third carcol, the wheels in the case of the Futo seen above.

Basic colour editing is the same as SA really.

For the MP clothing, set all the first columns in the MalePlayerSettings and FemalePlayerSettings to 0.

I suggest creating a server locked for only friends if you plan on using any mods online or you will eventually get busted. Just set all slots to reserved when you start your own game so only friends who are aware of the mods can join.

And FFS do not try it on the Ranked servers. Have some sense.

JostVice

So basically, carcol goes:

color1,color2,specular,

And for 3 colors cars:

color1,color2,specular,color3,

Am I right?

Timecyc.dat - So far it has changed some stuff from previus GTA, adding new stuff for HDR and bloom. One thing I don't identify is the global sun multiplier ambient oclusion thingy... pic

Amb0 - Ambient color 1 (RGB)Amb1 - Ambient color 2 (RGB)Dir -  untested (RGB?)Sky top - Color at the top of the sky (RGB)Sky bot - Color at the bottom of the sky (RGB)Suncore - Sun's sphere color (RGB)SunCorona - Son haze color? (RGB)SunSZ - Untested (float)SprBght - UntestedFarClp - UntestedFogst - Fog (untested)LowCloudsRGB - (RGB)BottomcloudsRGB - (RGB)WaterRGBA - Water surface color (red green blue alpha)Exposure -untestedBPThreshold -untestedMidGreyValue -untestedintensitybloom - Bloom's intensity (float)ColourCorrectRGB - Color correction (RGB)ColourAddRGB - how ColourCorrectRGB modifies the color (float)Desaturation -Contrast -Gamma -DesaturationFar -untestedContrastFar -untestedGammaFar -untestedDepthFxNear -untestedDepthFxFar -untestedLumMin -untestedLumMax LumDelay CloudAlpha -Cloud's alphaDirLightMult -Dir multiplier?AmbLightMult0 - Ambient color 0 multiplier?AmbLightMult1 -Ambient color 1 multiplier?SkyLightMult SunMult Temperature   Far DOF   Near DOF   Near Blur DOF   Mid Blur DOF   Far Blur DOF    Water Reflection    Particle HDR    Sprite Size  	Global sun multiplier ambient occlusion scaler - Affects shadows, sky ??? 

xmen

hey guys, wouldnt it be nice if you keep update gtamodding.com

DexX

The carcols data is saved with each vehicle in the save files. If you change it, you'll need to either find a new copy of the car in traffic/parked, or bring your saved car to a pay n spray.

Hmm, shades of gta3..

vehOff.csv (/common/data) - Seems to be a file with info about each vehicle's moveable parts (doors/bonnet)

Not tested, but those look more like camera positions/data, particularly that FOV entry at the end..

No harm discussing stuff here first. More people visit the forums than the wiki. That being said, data that is proven to be correct should be updated on gtamodding.com.

Killuminati91

E: nevermind

pinky
The carcols data is saved with each vehicle in the save files. If you change it, you'll need to either find a new copy of the car in traffic/parked, or bring your saved car to a pay n spray.

Hmm, shades of gta3..

No harm discussing stuff here first. More people visit the forums than the wiki. That being said, data that is proven to be correct should be updated on gtamodding.com.

Yeah, if you want to mod a car's paintjob. Park at the Bohan savehouse as the Pay'n'Spray is just around the corner from it.

Also using one of the cheat cars like the FBI Buffalo is good to test your colours, you can just run out the savehouse and spawn it using the phone cheat.

FunGt

Pinky have you tried to make new color lines? Coz I have a strange problem.

I followed the old method that works with all GTAs.

After I have made a new color line, for example:

130,253,194,-,white    # 134 green-blue

I add it to a car so:

schafter, 134,134,134, 

But when I go to the game, the color is completly different, lol. It should be something between green and blue, but it is red.

Can you try it?

JostVice

Did you read the notes at the top of the file? the prefix (-) and also the color seems something that we have to test. Also, don't set the specular to the same color, better set it to white.

130,253,194,-,blue   # 134 green-blue

Changed from 'white' to 'blue'

Edit: ignore, that is only for the radio comments of the police...

pinky
Did you read the notes at the top of the file? the prefix (-) and also the color seems something that we have to test. Also, don't set the specular to the same color, better set it to white.

130,253,194,-,blue   # 134 green-blue

Changed from 'white' to 'blue'

Edit: ignore, that is only for the radio comments of the police...

I got nice results using dark metallics from the same colour pool or darker version of your main colour, could get tricky with multi colour vehicles though. wink.gif

Mania-92

VisualSettings.xls and VisualSettings.dat, they hold variables for taillights, headlights, indicators etc.

Only thing I don't now is why there are 2 identical files, the values need to be identical in both files otherwise the world is messed up when you spawn.

JostVice
VisualSettings.xls and VisualSettings.dat, they hold variables for taillights, headlights, indicators etc.

Only thing I don't now is why there are 2 identical files, the values need to be identical in both files otherwise the world is messed up when you spawn.

how can you open visualsettings.xls?

I've edited visualsettings.dat's bloom settings, without anything bad happening:

user posted image

(Mind the sky and water is modified from my timecyc.dat)

Dup

Can anyone figure out where the dump valve (BOV) and backfire sounds are flagged for the Sultan RS? I hope they aint hard coded sad.gif

JostVice

Can anyone figure out where the dump valve (BOV) and backfire sounds are flagged for the Sultan RS? I hope they aint hard coded sad.gif

Vehicles.ide flags if i'm right, Along with some other interesting stuff biggrin.gif

Edit: not there. I remember they were in the xbox version? you have still the 'bangerexhaustfx' that seems to be those damaged vehicle's big poff.

Edited by Jost_Vice

Mania-92

I've edited visualsettings.dat's bloom settings, without anything bad happening:

user posted image

Strange, when I modified only the .xls it crashed, when I modified the .dat also it worked perfecte..

Anyway .xls is an microsoft excel file, so obviously you can open it with excel.

JostVice

user posted image

Strange, when I modified only the .xls it crashed, when I modified the .dat also it worked perfecte..

Anyway .xls is an microsoft excel file, so obviously you can open it with excel.

Right, my excel was saying I needed some plug-in so closed it, but now, installed it and opens correctly... There are only two .xls files, and with them, a csv (action_table) and a dat (visualsettings) so maybe they were used when developing the game, as it was easier to edit them using excel?

_CP_

Intresting files are: hud.dat and hudColor.dat.

We can change color (fe.clock)

# -HUD COLOUR NAME- -R- -G- -B-

| |

the name of element changing colors

jos116

As a pioneer modder on one of the forums im moderator at, i cant miss this. So:

/me joins the GTA file-band wagon tounge.gif

Moveblend.dat - Has some parameters in it for blending Ped animation

MOVEMENT_GROUP movement_group_name  FALLBACK_GROUP fallback_group_name

Furnitur.dat - Seems to contain some info about the furniture. Maximum angle, if its tall, if its small, if it can be put in front of a window, etc. Not sure why tho. Furniture is maybe dynamic?

Hey look, maybe some non used furniture:

#SUBGROUP: MISC_ORNAMENTS 1 1 1 1 0 0 0

#ITEM: gb_ornament02 0 0 100 0

#ITEM: gb_ornament03 0 0 100 0

#ITEM: gb_ornament04 0 0 100 0

#ITEM: gb_ornament05 0 0 100 0

#ITEM: GB_romanpot01 0 0 100 0

gtaRainEmitter.xml and gtaRainRender.xml (and the storm ones) - Controlls how thick the rain is, how much motion blur, offset, etc.

PlayerSettingsLights.dat - controlls the ingame light sources? With RGB values, outer and inner cone angles, falloff, etc.

loadingscreens_ingame_pc.dat and loadingscreens_pc.dat - Controlls how the static images are animated when loading.

Default.ide - oubious..

But, something interesting: quoted weapons.

#w_silenced, w_silenced, [email protected], 1, 30, 0

#flame, flame, null, 1, 50, 0

#minigun, minigun, null, 1, 50, 0

#bomb, bomb, null, 1, 50, 0

It looks to me the silenced one would work, because it doesnt have a 'null' anim group. And by looking at the anim group names ([email protected]) these work different these days too.

Lets see what i can find:

[email protected] - Ambient animations?

[email protected] - Gun animations

[email protected] - Vehicle animations

Cant find more now, but i ran out of time (had to go, lol). Will check out the files some more soon.

Edit:Check out Wilma.html and Fred.html. Has some pretty interesting stuff about natural motion in there. Thanks you R* for the info files, lol.

Greets

Edited by jos116

JostVice

I think the furniture file is scrap from GTA SA, where it was used for the all the robbery mission (creating random furniture placement on the houses)

The silencer weapon thing is interesting that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

DexX

I think the furniture file is scrap from GTA SA, where it was used for the all the robbery mission (creating random furniture placement on the houses)

The silencer weapon thing is interesting  that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

Probably a few left over from SA, like txdcut.ide.

This is new though

# file: cargrp.dat

# description: For each type of ped (worker, clubber etc) we maintain a list of the cars they might drive.

~

police, police2, polpatriot, noose, predator, pstockade, nstockade, fbi # POPCYCLE_GROUP_COPS

The police weren't in the SA cargrp.dat. Time to mess with it.

hohoho, i'm on to something

Parked Mr.Tasty copcars?

They don't work in traffic right though. Mr.Tasty wasn't the best choice for testing..

used this line:

pmp600, mrtasty  # POPCYCLE_GROUP_COPS

The pmp 600 would appear in traffic (just sitting in the road, like it spawned there - not driving) - empty, with no cops driving sad.gif

Also, pedpersonality.dat looks interesting..

JostVice

The silencer weapon thing is interesting  that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

Probably a few left over from SA, like txdcut.ide.

This is new though

# file: cargrp.dat

# description: For each type of ped (worker, clubber etc) we maintain a list of the cars they might drive.

~

police, police2, polpatriot, noose, predator, pstockade, nstockade, fbi # POPCYCLE_GROUP_COPS

The police weren't in the SA cargrp.dat. Time to mess with it.

hohoho, i'm on to something

Parked Mr.Tasty copcars?

They don't work in traffic right though. Mr.Tasty wasn't the best choice for testing..

used this line:

pmp600, mrtasty  # POPCYCLE_GROUP_COPS

The pmp 600 would appear in traffic (just sitting in the road, like it spawned there - not driving) - empty, with no cops driving sad.gif

Also, pedpersonality.dat looks interesting..

Maybe the cops need to be added to the new vehicles? in pedgrp? (I mean... isn't there a file about assigning peds to vehicles?)

Anyway, interesting way to create random cop cars at station...

Played with the weapons a bit, I now have a Rocket Propelled Molotov

user posted imageuser posted image

So.... I think its possible to create a flamethrower, more or less. Also saw that the Minigun has his full data, with its own muzzleflash and all.

Edit:

I made my compact RPG tounge.gif

user posted imageuser posted image

Edited by Jost_Vice

DexX

Maybe the cops need to be added to the new vehicles? in pedgrp? (I mean... isn't there a file about assigning peds to vehicles?)

Not in any external file i can find. I had a similar issue with VC and SA, where i could replace the vehicles themselves, but not get cops to drive them, unless the model was already loaded - except there everything was hard coded. I suspect part of it is still hard coded in IV.

JZersche

Messing around in the files i found this

C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\pedpersomnality.dat

+drivesrichcar+drivesbigcar+drivesboat+onfoot+smoker+phoneuser+givebummoney+replytoho+taketaxi+late+murdershakefist+murderrunaway+likesart+office+jewish

theres a few more.

COP:

M_Y_COP, M, 30, 3, 5, 1, 1, 5, 50, E, E, core_moves, hits_pool, unarmed_gang, counters_player, firearm_core, -, -, move_tough, +policeofficer+onfoot+late+cancarryweapons

heres another i'm not sure who he is but theres alot of +'s he has

M_Y_Pqueens_01, M, 18, 3, 1, 1, 1, 4, 50, E, E, core_moves, hits_pool, unarmed_ped, counters_player, firearm_core, -, -, move_rubbish, +drivespoorcar+drivesaveragecar+drivesrichcar+drivesbigcar+drivesmotorcycle+onfoot+argue+phoneuser+insultbum+watchfight+softjack+murdershakefist+murderattack+cancarryweapons+gardening+buysdrugs

inb4 "Lets make the firemen smoke!"

lololol

Anyhow i havnt tested this yet so. report and tell me if this works.. and post results. maybe a screenshot of the ped doing what u made it do..

Also, i was just messing around in the files and saw this.. open it in notepad and at the top it says:

# NOTE: The names and paths in this file are CASESENSITIVE on PS3 so don't f*ck 'em up.

C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\cjimages.txt

haha funny to see rockstar talking like that..

eagle016

The M_Y_Pqueens thing is a Young Male that shows up in Queens I'm guessing (I know for sure the M is for male/female and the Y is for Young/Old/Middle-aged).

I messed with the cops in there so that I could make them act differently and no matter what I did none of them changed.

JZersche

#	Acquaintance options:#	- Hate#	- Dislike #	- Like	#	- RespectCIVMALE	   Respect CIVMALE   Respect CIVFEMALECIVFEMALE	   Respect CIVFEMALE   Respect CIVMALECOP    Hate CRIMINAL DEALER   Respect MEDIC FIREMAN COPGANG1   Hate GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10   Respect GANG1GANG2   Hate GANG1 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10   Respect GANG2GANG3   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10   Respect GANG3GANG4   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10   Respect GANG4GANG5   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10   Respect GANG5GANG6   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10   Respect GANG6GANG7   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10   Respect GANG7GANG8   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG9 GANG10   Respect GANG8GANG9   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG10   Respect GANG9GANG10   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9   Respect GANG10 MEDIC   Respect COP FIREMANFIREMAN   Respect COP MEDICCRIMINAL   Hate COPPROSTITUTE   Hate COP

Just found that... maybe i am on to something?

*:\\*\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\ped.dat

jjcoolj91

user posted image

I smell Vice City Mod around the corner

eagle016

Just found that... maybe i am on to something?

*:\\*\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\ped.dat

Interesting. I'm about to test some stuff out...

EDIT: Messed around some with it, didn't notice any real changes.

In 'object.dat' I did find some interesting stuff names in the file. Some of the item names are:

Satchel

M60

Laser

Katana

Teargas

Machete

Pickupparachute

Property_fsale

C*ntgun

Chnsaw (not surprising seeing as how there was one in the first trailer)

And then there's a lot of CJ and San Andreas files, one of which is called "CJ_WHEELCHAIR1".

Also, 'popcycle.dat' is pretty fun to mess around, you can set the max amount of vehicles/pedestrians for certain areas. I set Star Junction to a pretty high amount of cars and then just tossed a grenade in a pile.

Edited by eagle016

Hollaz

I think that ped.dat is a SA leftover file, since it looks just as it.

Relationships.dat would be more fitting for IV.

GANG_JAMAICAN#   Hate GANG_ALBANIAN GANG_BIKER_1 GANG_BIKER_2 GANG_ITALIAN GANG_RUSSIAN GANG_RUSSIAN_2 GANG_IRISH GANG_AFRICAN_AMERICAN GANG_KOREAN GANG_CHINESE_JAPANESE GANG_PUERTO_RICAN   Respect GANG_JAMAICAN

Also contains similar lines about multiplayer players "relationships".

They does not have a star tho (#), which makes me wanna test, but IV lags too much for me to play with it. icon13.gif

eagle016

I'll check that out tomorrow, if no one else checks it out first. I'd hop on now but if I do then I'll never finish studying for my macro-economics test like I should be doing right now.

Hopefully we can find a way to get everyone hating everyone and essentially have an 'angry pedestrians' tweak/mod.

Glumok

Just noticed that, in "common/data/ambient.dat :

#	WORLD STATES:##  	IsRaining #  IsSunny#  IsNight#  	IsSnowing#  IsWindy

"IsSnowing" ? Snow was supposed to be a part of the game ? Note that state is not used in the file itself.

I don't think it comes from a San Andreas file, or am I wrong ?