Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,723 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Rockstar Toronto

Help with Grand theft Auto IV PC

Question

Rockstar Toronto

Hey guys,

We've been reading the forums and understand that several of you are experiencing difficulties with Grand Theft Auto IV PC, and we are committed to doing everything we can to help resolve these troubles. We are working on a number of solutions, outlined below, and over the next few days we will be responding to questions posed on this forum in an effort to get your game up and running as quickly as possible. Please continue to check the list below for updates.

Driver News

We’re pleased to announce that in co-operation with Nvidia a new driver has been released that improves performance and fixes a major issue with 7900 series cards. If you haven’t gotten the driver yet download it here: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_gtaiv_downloads.html

ATI has now released Catalyst 8.12 download them here: http://game.amd.com. Expect significant performance improvements when using this new driver.

Patch Is On The Way

We are working on making a patch available in the next few days. Since Grand Theft Auto IV is a Games For Windows – Live game the patch must be certified by Microsoft before release. The patch is already at Microsoft and we expect a speedy approval.

The patch contains a variety of fixes including:

-A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting.

-Numerous improvements to the video editor: Smarter naming of videos, improved rendering quality, better fx during replays

-Fix to bowling while using certain sensitive mice

-Fix for ATI 1900 shadows

-Overall savings to memory

-Graphic improvements to particle systems and mirrors

-Multiplayer character settings are preserved

-Support for DirectInput controllers. Note: The current hack way of supporting these controllers may not work with the improved functionality. So we recommend you remove the hack before upgrading to the patch.

Issues with power management software have also been fixed (slow speed, double speed issues). Even after the patch comes out setting power management software to maximum performance is recommended. We’ve seen cases where power management software does not detect the game is running and puts the CPU in green mode.

Besides the patch we’ve also improved the way the Social Club handles data this should have greatly reduced or eliminated the Mma10 error. If you are still receiving this error after logging in and out of Social Club we would like to know as much info as you can about it.

Information Needed For Troubleshooting

We want everyone to experience Grand Theft Auto IV on the PC the way it was intended. To that end, we will continue to monitor the forums for any and all issues users are having, and respond whenever possible. We would greatly appreciate it if people with unresolved problems could post some information about their PC configuration in this thread for us. Please include the following information:

-Where exactly in the game you experienced the issue (start screen, while playing the game, etc.)

-What version of the game you have (retail, steam, other online store)

-What is your OS

-Benchmark info or DxDiag is also helpful

Rockstar Games Social Club Application Info

Due to the high volume of new Social Club users, some users may have experienced periods of time where they are unable to log into their Social Club account using the Rockstar Games Social Club application. If you are unable to log in using the Rockstar Games Social Club application, please skip the login process by clicking "Skip Login" or run in offline mode by clicking "Start in Offline Mode". This is meant as a temporary solution to allow users to play GTA IV PC, so please continue to periodically retry your login as we are working hard to promptly address any lapses in service.

A small number of users have reported the Rockstar Games Social Club application encountering a fatal error, preventing them from playing GTA IV PC. One possible solution is to uninstall the .NET Framework (from Add/Remove Programs) and reinstall it by downloading it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en. If you continue to run into fatal errors in the Rockstar Games Social Club application, please contact Rockstar Games support.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work around the clock to resolve these issues. Support updates will continue to be posted at www.rockstargames.com/support as soon as they are available, and we will update this thread with any new information as well. Please send any inquiries about non-support issues to [email protected].

Thanks,

Rockstar Games

UPDATE - Since this thread is already getting so long we are asking everyone to post in this newly setup forum:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showforum=233

This way we can better keep track of issues and have things be better organized.

Edited by Rockstar Toronto

vestax

How can i make my saves work after reinstalling windows? I tried to backup C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games and then place it back after reinstalling, but that didn't work.

PS I use offline Games For Windows profile.

adridodo

I am VERY disappointed with GTA IV and Rock Star. I have been a fan of GTAs and played every single one of them till now.

1. Paid euro 45 for it in Europe

2. Installed SP1 on my Win Vista JUST FOR THIS GAME

3. My system crashed during SP install and took me 5 HOURS to reinstall vista, read that sp1 is a disaster zone for all

4. Tried it on my Win XP PC, had to install SP3

5. The first SP3 crashed during install so I have got another one and took me 5 hours in total: reg-sys-HDD backup/download/install

6. After 2 days got GTA working just to realize u need million other things to run e.g. social club/silly win live tool to SAVE you GAME AND GET THE DIVIDENDS.

7. ROCK STAR made friends with Microsoft and that really complicates things not to say that pisses a lot of us off. Win is only good for Games and

that is the only reason I have it. It is useless for anything else real-time/simulations/etc. If it becomes even more complicated than it is to simply save a game without Microsoft knowing about it then I am sorry I have to give GTA up. If there are no games Win will disappear . This was a massive effort for me just to run a bloody game. It is not worth it.

8. I have returned the game, got my money back and ended my GTA era ... maybe it is time to give up games altogether...and do something more

educational...like learning Linux for a change. I will play GTA again when it runs on Linux

I hope I wont meet any of the Rock Starts while I am in Toronto next year ...I am gonna be tougher than Harper devil.gif

B good.

keenu

I wish they fix Games for windows live e.g. last night I couldnt log in to GFW and I couldn't retrive my saved game! I know I can create an offline profile but I'm already on the 10th or so mission and dont really want to start again.

eguilherme

well 2 things..

first you say "We are working on making ", and then you say "The patch is already at Microsoft"..

so is the patch ready and waiting microsoft approval or are you still making it ?

and

"-A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting."

well im not german, neither im from german but i do have also this error, so i hope you have this released asap, since i have still to play the game ever since i bought it.. but i guess i should not be too much happy about it, since, even if i manage to play i ll probably have several other erros after like missing textures and such.. sad..

just for obs. my pc:

Q6600 2.4

4gb dd2

8800gt

vista sp1 x64

Zcool31

Hey Rockstar, I haven't' seen any replies to this except the first post.

Single player runs fine with an offline live profile, but logging in to my online live profile causes the game to crash.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 @ 3.0Ghz

RAM: 2GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz

Graphics: EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 factory overclocked (new version, g92 architecture)

Motherboard: XFX nForce 780i

HDD: Seagate 750 GB split into several partitions. The C drive (main one, where I put the game) has about 100GB free

I bought the game at Gamestop.

Event viewer says that my game crashes whenever I try to log in to windows live because of ntdll.dll

For most other people its system32/xlive.dll

What gives?

xavier00

yeah i dont belive them .....in a state of an emergency with the company future a stake you think they will wait for microsoft???,,,this is their greatest franchise and its a stake ,,is like nintendo puting out a mario game like this and then wait 1 week to fix it.. i can just imagine the reviews that this game is going to have ..... 2 out of 10

Neorg
Hey,

I hope someone could help me because when I play for some minutes my screen turns black and I need to restart the computer. I downloaded the Nvidia patch but it didn't help. I hope this patch will stop this crash, but I'm not quite sure if its caused by my computer or the game. This is my system:

user posted imageComputer

• Fabrikant: Winfast
  • Computermodel: AWRDACPI
  • Computernaam: JORT
  • Systeemtype: X64 (64-bits) systeem
user posted imageMoederbord
  • Fabrikant: Winfast
  • Model: K8T890M2AA
  • BIOS Fabrikant: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
  • BIOS Model: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
user posted imageProcessor
  • Model: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+
  • Kloksnelheid: 1800 MHz
user posted imageGeheugen
  • Grootte: 2046 MB RAM
user posted imageHarde schijf
  • Bestandstype: UDF
  • Grootte: 232,88 GB
  • Vrije ruimte: 127,24 GB
user posted imageVideokaart
  • Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 512
  • Beeldprocessor: GeForce 9600 GSO 512
  • Geheugengrootte: 1024 MB
  • Drivers: nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2um, versie 7.15.11.8084
user posted imageBeeldscherm
  • Fabrikant: (Standaardbeeldschermtypen)
  • Model: Algemeen PnP-beeldscherm
  • Schermresolutie: 1280x1024
  • Kleurkwaliteit: 32-bits
  • Frequentie: 60 Hz
user posted imageGeluidskaart
  • Fabrikant: Realtek
  • Model: Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller
user posted imageDirectX
  • Versie: 10.1
user posted imageBesturingssysteem
  • Naam: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
  • Versie: 6.0.6001
  • Service Pack: Service Pack 1
user posted imageGegenereerd door user posted imageFlitskikker InfoTool

Ihave the same problem, after plaung the game for aboutt 20-30 minutes game my screen goes black and whole computer crashes. So i have to restart. I have allready send a information to Rockstar 2 days ago. But no respond.

My computer is

Intell Quad9400 2.66GHZ

4GB DDR2 800MHZ

CLUB3D ATI 4850 512MB (Catalyst 8.11)

Windows VISTA Home Premium

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G Motherboard

550W Power

Chenquie

After the R* and GTA IV logo the game just crashes. "GTA IV has stopped working"

I tried it on steam and my friend tried it retail, none of it is working.

Windows Server 2008 is my OS but I've tried on Vista and XP too, no luck.

LilPuppy

got an AMD 64 dual 5500 and 4 gigs of ram Nvidia 9600gt 512mb and after installing the new drivers I went from 9fps to 6 fps...wow this sucks and my rig aint that bad

bp2018

Well they are not making one patch and then leaving it like that, they will likely work on more issues for the next patch but wont release it until the first patch has been tested a little out in the community to see if the fixes implemented in that patch are working right.

Most likely something like this.

First patch released, community uses the patch and then (hopefully) responds to how it works back here.

Patch two in mid development, wont be released until the first patch has had a reaction so they can tweak those fixes in the second patch if they are still not right, if they are right, then the second patch would be ready for release and would be sent to Microsoft for digital verification.

Atleast that would be the smart way of going about it, why rush a second patch out if that patch contains the same fixes as the first... and they don't work.

Would rather have the first patch tested by us for a few days so they can tweak and be sure those fixes are 100% and then have the second patch released with the other fixes included.

Like I said I am not sure how they are going about it, but that would make most sense to me.

yeah i dont belive them .....in a state of an emergency with the company future a stake  you think they will wait for microsoft???,,,this is their greatest franchise and its a stake ,,is like nintendo puting out a mario game like this and then wait 1  week to fix it.. i can just imagine the reviews that this game is going to have ..... 2 out of 10

They HAVE to wait for microsoft, all games for windows live games MUST have patches checked by microsoft to ensure compatibility with the OS, im sure if it wasn't necessary Rockstar would of released it already.

Edited by bp2018

mahen
After the R* and GTA IV logo the game just crashes. "GTA IV has stopped working"

same problem...ROCKSTAR PLEASE TAKE NOTE

eguilherme

same problem...ROCKSTAR PLEASE TAKE NOTE

same here.. i want to play this game at least once b4 getting a refund lol

M·O·

actually found a solution for the server problem - i initially thought it's a graphics problem, but it isnt:

just download the xinput9_1_0.dll and put into your game folder!

http://www.m3fe.com/content/xinput

pretty easy^^

but the game is tooooooo slow.

my system isn't the best but it can run games that a look a lot better than GTA 4

DeadlyAvenger
They HAVE to wait for microsoft, all games for windows live games MUST have patches checked by microsoft to ensure compatibility with the OS, im sure if it wasn't necessary Rockstar would of released it already.

The process makes perfect sense, IF it actually made things better. But if the title was released in the state it is WITH this supposed "approval" from Microsoft, it doesn't say much for their quality assurance on "Games For Windows" titles.

I'd love to know what PCs they are testing this game on for them to think all is well.

Stuflo

I used to have that problem. The trick is not to sign into the social club. when you have the option just click play offline.

xavier00

yeah ,listen this is just a bounch of crap rockstar is saying,,,they did not test this game ,, i know a lot of people are getting fired in rockstar as we speak

xavier00

they problably gave microsoft a super computer when they tested this game,so they could get aproved in time to cash on crhistmast time

Wheelman

yeah ,listen this is just a bounch of crap rockstar is saying,,,they did not test this game ,, i know a lot of people are getting fired in rockstar as we speak

Uh-huh... sure. sigh.gif

All I can say is, the guy(s) behind the Rockstar Toronto account must have the patience of saints to read through all the abuse, crap, and general sh*te spouted by you n00bs. They come here to help and keep us directly informed (which is a fantastic development for developer/user communication that very few developers or communities have the luxury of), and you abuse them. Nice going. suicidal.gif

Thankfully I'm sure that the silent majority appreciate the frank and direct communication available with Rockstar here.

kbarber29

Can someone clarify if GFWL is like the Gears of War version or is it something entirely new? Is there like a GFWL toolbar always on your windows screen after installing from GTA IV? What I'm trying to get at is GFWL now like Steam that you have to go through GFWL to get into GTA IV?

NTxC

I'm just counting on fixing general errors that give out messages, fixing SHADOWS and an Anti Aliasing option.

That is what PC players expect.

Zcool31

Except for the fact that we haven't heard back from them yet. Just one post so far. W00t way to go rockstar.

I keep getting this error:

Faulting application GTAIV.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x49189a0c, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a783, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000aada3, process id 0xb00, application start time 0x01c957c1f9f63ec5.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2008-12-06T16:48:14.000Z

EventRecordID 20533

Channel Application

Computer GamingRig

Security

- EventData

GTAIV.exe

49189a0c

ntdll.dll

4791a783

c0000374

000aada3

b00

01c957c1f9f63ec5

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-12-06T16:48:14.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>20533</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>GamingRig</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>GTAIV.exe</Data>

<Data>1.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>49189a0c</Data>

<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>

<Data>6.0.6001.18000</Data>

<Data>4791a783</Data>

<Data>c0000374</Data>

<Data>000aada3</Data>

<Data>b00</Data>

<Data>01c957c1f9f63ec5</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Vasil

Ok, after installing the 180.84 nvidia driver, I´m not having any noticeable performance boost, but the game runs almost the same no matter what resolution/texture quality I use (around 30 fps). This game need serious optimization. Just do this well this time, rockstar.

mad1723

Little explanation to HD4870X2 users: the memory is mirrored, so you have 2 x 1GB of memory, which results in 1GB of VRAM detected ingame, which is good. It's not R*'s fault, it's the way Crossfire works, to avoid data corruption in their image while rendering with 2 GPUs. wink.gif

sjjsdjjjsjsdjsdhjs

i dont know but umm, this might just be a good chance to ask rockstar about the fingerless gloves lol, soo wat happend to them rockstar? or how do u get them?

DAV1D90

BUG

- selected radio station in car on safe house parking spot its not remember after game loading

Wombatfrog

Things are getting better with my PC, since updating to the latest Nvidia drivers I have played for a good 6+ hours and it runs better for sure. Make 30 patches if you have to! Just don't forget about us PC gamers, please. Merry Crimbo Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Comrade_Niko

I have just one problem that hasn't already been mentioned. My graphics settings are not saved after re-starting the game. So I have to edit every time I start the game. Nothing major, only annoying.

That out of the way, it's good to see Rockstar working on this bad release. Hopefully we'll get this lousy port up to the usual Rockstar standards.

thastrogg

I hope a patch will make the texture problems go away ...although i know how to fix it its anoying to do it all the time your going to play

DAV1D90

you must delete SETTINGS.CFG

C:\Documents and Settings\***YOUR ACCOUNT***\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings