Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,075 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Rockstar Toronto

Help with Grand theft Auto IV PC

Question

Rockstar Toronto

Hey guys,

We've been reading the forums and understand that several of you are experiencing difficulties with Grand Theft Auto IV PC, and we are committed to doing everything we can to help resolve these troubles. We are working on a number of solutions, outlined below, and over the next few days we will be responding to questions posed on this forum in an effort to get your game up and running as quickly as possible. Please continue to check the list below for updates.

Driver News

We’re pleased to announce that in co-operation with Nvidia a new driver has been released that improves performance and fixes a major issue with 7900 series cards. If you haven’t gotten the driver yet download it here: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_gtaiv_downloads.html

ATI has now released Catalyst 8.12 download them here: http://game.amd.com. Expect significant performance improvements when using this new driver.

Patch Is On The Way

We are working on making a patch available in the next few days. Since Grand Theft Auto IV is a Games For Windows – Live game the patch must be certified by Microsoft before release. The patch is already at Microsoft and we expect a speedy approval.

The patch contains a variety of fixes including:

-A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting.

-Numerous improvements to the video editor: Smarter naming of videos, improved rendering quality, better fx during replays

-Fix to bowling while using certain sensitive mice

-Fix for ATI 1900 shadows

-Overall savings to memory

-Graphic improvements to particle systems and mirrors

-Multiplayer character settings are preserved

-Support for DirectInput controllers. Note: The current hack way of supporting these controllers may not work with the improved functionality. So we recommend you remove the hack before upgrading to the patch.

Issues with power management software have also been fixed (slow speed, double speed issues). Even after the patch comes out setting power management software to maximum performance is recommended. We’ve seen cases where power management software does not detect the game is running and puts the CPU in green mode.

Besides the patch we’ve also improved the way the Social Club handles data this should have greatly reduced or eliminated the Mma10 error. If you are still receiving this error after logging in and out of Social Club we would like to know as much info as you can about it.

Information Needed For Troubleshooting

We want everyone to experience Grand Theft Auto IV on the PC the way it was intended. To that end, we will continue to monitor the forums for any and all issues users are having, and respond whenever possible. We would greatly appreciate it if people with unresolved problems could post some information about their PC configuration in this thread for us. Please include the following information:

-Where exactly in the game you experienced the issue (start screen, while playing the game, etc.)

-What version of the game you have (retail, steam, other online store)

-What is your OS

-Benchmark info or DxDiag is also helpful

Rockstar Games Social Club Application Info

Due to the high volume of new Social Club users, some users may have experienced periods of time where they are unable to log into their Social Club account using the Rockstar Games Social Club application. If you are unable to log in using the Rockstar Games Social Club application, please skip the login process by clicking "Skip Login" or run in offline mode by clicking "Start in Offline Mode". This is meant as a temporary solution to allow users to play GTA IV PC, so please continue to periodically retry your login as we are working hard to promptly address any lapses in service.

A small number of users have reported the Rockstar Games Social Club application encountering a fatal error, preventing them from playing GTA IV PC. One possible solution is to uninstall the .NET Framework (from Add/Remove Programs) and reinstall it by downloading it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en. If you continue to run into fatal errors in the Rockstar Games Social Club application, please contact Rockstar Games support.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work around the clock to resolve these issues. Support updates will continue to be posted at www.rockstargames.com/support as soon as they are available, and we will update this thread with any new information as well. Please send any inquiries about non-support issues to [email protected].

Thanks,

Rockstar Games

UPDATE - Since this thread is already getting so long we are asking everyone to post in this newly setup forum:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showforum=233

This way we can better keep track of issues and have things be better organized.

Edited by Rockstar Toronto

DAV1D90

well and that Framelimter and bug whit radio station??

Rockstar Toronto
Hi Rockstar Toronto,

I know you all must be busy be could you let me know how will the patch be set out will it be by GFWL (Games for Windows Live), Rockstar Social Club or other, if other what means ?

Thank you smile.gif

Probably all of the above.

Games For Windows Live offers automatic patching, but we know not everyone signs in online and want to make sure everyone can get the patch.

NTxC

Dear Rockstar Toronto,

are you planning to fix the Grainy Shadows issue?

Please reply.

coppyslock

Can us ATI HD48xx users expect a fix for the poor performance (even with fairly decent CPUs) and eventual 1fps constant (memory leak?)

I'm running the catalyst 8.12RC3 beta and there was no improvement, unfortunately. Are you certain the official release on the 10th will provide significant performance boosts/fixes?

If you are already using the latest beta drivers then you may not see any addtional performance increase with the offical drivers. In Toronto we have seen good improvements and that is why we felt comfortable making that statement.

As for your 1fps issue my only guess is the power managment issues listed in the first post at the top of the thread. Have you tried following those suggestions?

I appreciate the response, however I don't use any power management and I've logged both my GPU and CPU activity and both are running as they should.

If its of any use, the game will run semi-decently for about 10 mins or so and then suddenly come to a standstill regardless of the scenario (even whilst standing inside safehouse). Accessing the menu is nearly impossible and the game begins to stutter and run at 1fps. It takes a ctrl+alt+del and a manual closing of the GTAIV.exe process to quit the game.

Edit - also, could we possibly see the inclusion of the console's blurring technique?

It appears as though the PC's simply blurs the entire screen rather than say an area in the distance.

Edited by coppyslock

One-time

Will there be some kind of an offline patch or something? Or we have to log in to GFWL to get the patch?

vestax

Rockstar Toronto, how can i use my savegames after reinstalling windows? I tried to backup C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games, after reinstalling i put them back, and i have error at loading them.

punisher.ita

LOL just ignoring me... how sad seeing that I have all GTA bought original...

Rockstar Toronto

THE THIRD MAJOR PROBLEM IS:

the Grainy Shadows - they looks so worse... that i even cant look at them!

actually my video card fully support DX10,so where the f*ck is the DX10's soft shadows?

Our game is currently only Direct X 9. We've done everything possible to make it look great for DX9.

We use a Deferred Lighting model that most other game don't use. Ill try and get some more info up next week since the technical details since this will probably be interesting to many of you. AA does not work very well with our lighting model unless the game is DX10.

For the forums it's clear that there is huge demand for AA support, so we will be looking into it.

jortaman

Rockstar Toronto I have a problem, when Im playing for some minutes Ill get a fully black screen and the game crashed and I need to restart the computer. I have a Nvidia GF 9600GT videocard and a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ - 1800 MHz

I don't know if this is caused by my processor or system or the game?

Please Rockstar, I hope you'll read this biggrin.gif

Edited by jortaman

gta4fan4life

please rockstar answer my last question, before gta 4 came out on ps3 and xbox, there were pictures and trailers of niko wearing fingerless gloves, im just wondering how do u get the gloves. please please tell me.

Wheelman
Rockstar Toronto, how can i use my savegames after reinstalling windows? I tried to backup C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games, after reinstalling i put them back, and i have error at loading them.

Good question - I'd also be interested in knowing how to back-up my save games with this GFWL malarky. icon14.gif

Indi

Rockstar Toronto, in this upcoming patch... or a future patch will there be a patch to fix the issue of "CPU Usage"? GTA IV PC is a very demanding game and I think that the CPU Usage needs to be toned down a bit.

Please reply

Thank You smile.gif

Vanillainy
please rockstar answer my last question, before gta 4 came out on ps3 and xbox, there were pictures and trailers of niko wearing fingerless gloves, im just wondering how do u get the gloves. please please tell me.

They are not in the game. Rockstar have more important inssues than the gloves..

evemonbjk

Could someone reply my post plz? I will buy GTA 4 if i can run it. Thanks. Link

Regards.

RedBu11

I see im not the only who has 22-23 FPS lock.

Any changes in game - 22-23 fps or lower. Just wasnt any more than 23.

Rockstar Toronto,

will this be fixed too???

Thank You.

Geforce 7950GT

Vista SP1 (32bit)

Intel Dual Core E6400

2GB Ram

screamerjr

Hi, Rockstar Toronto.

Thank you very much that you are making patch!

But i have one question: What PC configuration has your tester? mercie_blink.gif

Ïàò÷ äåëàéòå áëÿòü áûñòðåå! icon14.gifcolgate.gif

Edited by screamerjr

daveslake
THE SECOND MAJOR PROBLEM IS:

this thread about black stips:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?act=ST&...entry1058714711

with ATI card again

my specs:

ATI HD 2600 XT 512RAM (PCI-e)

2GB RAM

Intel Core Duo 2.33GHz (x64)

Vista x64 service pack1

Did you follow ATI support issue posted on our website? I hope it helps.

http://www.rockstargames.com/support/gta4p...TI%20MipMap.doc

I have the same problem, and the mipmap settings didn't worked.

Anyways, the mipmap quality settings is always Quality on default...

Indi

Rockstar Toronto, in this upcoming patch... or a future patch will there be a patch to fix the issue of "CPU Usage"? GTA IV PC is a very demanding game and I think that the CPU Usage needs to be toned down a bit.

Please reply

Thank You smile.gif

3niX

Well...

THE THIRD MAJOR PROBLEM IS:

the Grainy Shadows - they looks so worse... that i even cant look at them!

actually my video card fully support DX10,so where the f*ck is the DX10's soft shadows?

Our game is currently only Direct X 9. We've done everything possible to make it look great for DX9.

We use a Deferred Lighting model that most other game don't use. Ill try and get some more info up next week since the technical details since this will probably be interesting to many of you. AA does not work very well with our lighting model unless the game is DX10.

For the forums it's clear that there is huge demand for AA support, so we will be looking into it.

Does that mean future support for DX10 or improved DX9 features?

Will you be adding more choices to the "Graphics" menu?

Also, can you estimate how large the patch will be (in size)?

DML

Dear Rockstar Toronto,

You may not know the answer to this, but I just have one quick question (one which is probably not that high on the priority list):

What takes Rockstar so long these days to release (or even announce) the PC versions of the GTA games? Why is there a consistent 6-to-7-month delay behind the console release?

aNdReSk

Just a little suggestion since u guys are reading this tounge.gif

It would be nice for the MP to be able to use all pedestrian skins, same way u switch to zombie, so u can either make your own or use one of the pedestrians already made.

Also a custom MP game editor (code based) would be useful for RPG's turn.gif

------------

Will you add dedicated servers? sly.gif

Zeta

Hi again its great to see a Offical RockStar here, It would be great to have some insight into

Dedicated Servers?

Any Plans in the future to add them as a option.

Many Thanks.

Apache-Cobra

Guys, i don't think R* made an account to answer questions about stuff like gloves and whether your card will work or not. They're here for collecting information on issues about the game. Keep in mind this is probably a single representative that has to sort thru all of these posts, and the less "junk" posts, the faster we can fix the game (I'm sure there are many people who have trouble with their IV that are screaming at their comps as they read these kind of posts, lol)

Edited by Apache-Cobra

punisher.ita

Ok, let's see if you will ignore also this:

user posted image

One-time

Guys, stop it. Please stop REPEATING your previous posts. It's annoying.

waldoribeiro
Ok, let's see if you will ignore also this:

user posted image

Don't be a dick. Tell you what, for homework go and make GTA V, and yes I mean GTA 5, and let's see your shadows and resource usage.

davidb6

When can we see the NVIDIA driver for M GPU's - that driver does not work on laptops

Specs:

Vista SP1 32b

8600M GT

C2D 2.0GHz

(get avg of 20-30 FPS, game quite playable // all settings on the lowest possible, looks a lot like san andreas tounge.gif)

It works you just have to say nv_disp.inf whats your model of mobile nvidia card. i have installed this newest beta on notebook with geforce 8600m gs. works fine! use your original legacy inf of notebook vendor, open it and search at [Manufacturer] for your type of registry string, i.e.

%NVIDIA_G86.DEV_0425.1% = nv_G86_0, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425&SUBSYS_82531071

%NVIDIA_G86.DEV_0425.2% = nv_G86_0, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425&SUBSYS_82271071 and copy to 180.84 nv_disp.inf.

Next search for ; Localizable Strings i.e. NVIDIA_G86.DEV_0425.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS" NVIDIA_G86.DEV_0425.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS ".

Now the nvidia driver knows your type of model of mobile geforce card. just click setup.exe and have FUN! devil.gifbiggrin.gif

Tarp.

GTA4 è venuto na schifezza piena di bug mad.gif

user posted image

punisher.ita

Don't be a dick. Tell you what, for homework go and make GTA V, and yes I mean GTA 5, and let's see your shadows and resource usage.

I am sure I haven't bought GTA IV than... we pay 50euros for it... these problems are unacceptable. And I speak as a GTA3\ViceCity\SanAndreas buyer!

user posted image

And GTA IV of course... wasted money.

Edited by punisher.ita

screamerjr

punisher.ita

you are like a child. Did you have finished your homework?

Rockstar had made really good game. With some errors, but it is REALLY good.

2R*

Thank you VERY MUCH)

Äåëàéòå ïàò÷ áëÿòü! Ïàñèáêè çà ïîíèìàíèå!