4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Chiba

Solution to grainy shadows?

Question

Chiba

Hi,

So far my game is running pretty good, apart from the grainy shadows, which are really annoying after some time. I already set the shadow density to 0 but that didn't really help.

My specs:

Intel CoreDuo 2.4GHz

Geforce 8800 GTX

2GB RAM

Vista SP1

These aren't my screenshots, but that's pretty much how GTA IV looks on my PC: Screenshots

I also have those ugly grainy objects further in the back, which turn normal when I get closer.

Since there are hardly any people complaining about this specific problem and most of the screenshots in the Troubleshooting forum show normal shadows, I was wondering if there's an easy solution to this or if I have to wait for Rockstar to fix it in a patch.

altman

I have 8800GTX and I have the same grainy shadows. I think it should be related to quality settings, otherwise we need to wait for patch((((((((( Do you have bad performance of the game? With medium settings the game are pretty laggy((((

Haradan

I have the grainy shadows problem too.

My performance is fine though, although I can't get the graphics settings to change from the defaults properly. Sometimes it defaults to low detail textures, sometimes it goes with medium, but the performance is always fine.

Edited by Haradan

Blitz81

I have the same thing and a GeForce 8800 GTS... i've messed around with the settings, but nothing seems to help with the shadows. I would actaully prefere them to be completly off rather than this! My graphics at night time in the game seem to be cleaner... now I tend to have him sleep during the day.

Chiba
I have 8800GTX and I have the same grainy shadows. I think it should be related to quality settings, otherwise we need to wait for patch((((((((( Do you have bad performance of the game? With medium settings the game are pretty laggy((((

I had to lower the settings quite a lot to get a playable framerate. I'm using medium settings too and I reduced the resolution from 1920x1200 to 1600x1000. Though all of this wouldn't matter if it wasn't for those ugly shadows. There must be a way to get them right.

Is anyone of you using the newest 180.48 drivers? I still have the 178.13 and can't test the new ones at the moment.

menacepwr

I have the same grainy shadows and a 8800 GTS overclocked... also I cant raise the view distance above like 56 and right now I can't even play I'm getting RMN40.... It worked last night too...

MrBrightside

Hi Chiba,

I have the same problem with shadows and my specs are similar to yours. I dont think that Rockstar will fix this, many people says that looks like the xbox360 version so.. confused.gif

My Specs:

Intel QuadCore Q6600

Geforce 8800 GTX

2GB RAM Corsair DDR3 1333

Vista SP1

I'm running the game with 1650x1080 res, medium texture quality because it says that in high setting it doesnt has enough memory so...why the recommended spec is a 8600gt?? The render quality is set to very high. In the test I get always around 41 fps changing settings from low to high mercie_blink.gif

I think that Rockstar must release a patch and as soon as possible because all that problems that people are suffering are really ******************

Gibbo3771

9600GT here and the shadows look all messed up like that too, also i cant get the game past 22fps, its locked there constantly. sad.gif

DaleyG

Is there a way to disable shadows completely?

Gibbo3771

you might be able to find a way via the registry but i dont trek there unless i really need too

DrAgonLord2323

has anyone noticed the "grainy" effect on trees once they are a certain distance?

also look at the 2nd screen shot again. take a look in the ally between the hot dog guy and the green car. there is a guy leaning against the wall with a lot of pixeled objects around him. they will appear in both low and high quality settings. that grainy stuff is everywhere not just shadows. shadows are just the most obvious of them.

i am seeing a similar problem with a new game called "Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods". however titles like Fallout 3 or Dead space are running fine on my pc.

8800gtx (Driver 180.48)

2gig ram

4800+ Amd X2

WinXp

Chiba
I have the same problem with shadows and my specs are similar to yours. I dont think that Rockstar will fix this, many people says that looks like the xbox360 version so.. confused.gif

I read that too, but why are there so many PC version screenshots with good looking shadows? Like these for example. So obviously not everyone has them and I hope there's some kind of easy fix out there.

As far as I can see, everyone who posted in this thread has an nVidia graphic card, so maybe this will be fixed in an upcoming driver release.

And yes, I also have other objects appearing grainy, like trees and stuff, pretty much in the same way as you can see in the second screenshot.

MrBrightside

but why are there so many PC version screenshots with good looking shadows? Like these for example. So obviously not everyone has them and I hope there's some kind of easy fix out there.

If you see, in that pic of the same link says that the pc version doesnt have shadow filtering and looks like the console version and in mine is the way that ir looks.

I dont think that the problem is only with the nvidia cards because in the link of your first post the images are from a guy with an Ati.

Joskee

I too am experiencing these very same graphical anomilies with shadows. I have a Nvidia 8800 Ultra Extreme Edition.

Has this been reported to Rockstar, so it can be added to the patch?

DaleyG

Please somebody f*ck around with this file,

visualSettings.dat, Located in.

Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data

It got various graphics options in it,

Maybe somebody can disable shadows completely with this?

amdinga

I've also got really nasty, grainy, spray-paint like shadows. I'm running an 8800GT 512.

Flat Face

um... i own it on ps3 and the shadows are grainy, its just how it is so get used to it.

foxfire29

I have the same problem, this is why I am browsing because the shadows are second rate sh*t , how can you make a game so demanding with such sh*t lighting! I too would like a registry hack to get rid of the shadows

Chiba
um... i own it on ps3 and the shadows are grainy, its just how it is so get used to it.

Well, PS3 ist not a PC and since the PC version took more than half a year longer to be released I expect it not to be as crappy as on the PS3.

The shadows are just disgusting compared to how awesome the rest of the game looks.

plaguelord69

Well as i saw on some posted screens the shadows where good for that guy(when you look around car, and bildings)

And after that there was another explanation why the shadows are good for him

textures where hihg on his benchmark resoluts.

So can somone confirme that he has still grainy shadows when textures set to high.

I mean if thats the point to have normal shadows then f...you rockstar.

I have hd 3850 with 256mb ,c2d 6600, and 2 gigs ,and the game would be looking just fine if those shadows can be removed somehow.

video mode: 1152*864

texture quallity: medium

render quallity: highest

view distance :9

detail distance: 100

shadows density: 10

SO wtf.

The game works fine for my taste: its playable ,20-25fps

And second thing that is really annoying is that loading of objects.Its ruinning the game tottaly with those shadows on bildings trees etc.

blure looks like a sh*t.

If anyone knows how to turn of shadows completley it would be a real help

Till we wait the patch and drivers from ati and nvidia, i will loose my will to play.

Did rockstar made this for only high end computers ????F....

araphon1
Well as i saw on some posted screens the shadows where good for that guy(when you look around car, and bildings)

So can somone confirme that he has still grainy shadows when textures set to high.

I mean if thats the point to have normal shadows then f...you rockstar.

I have hd 3850 with 256mb ,c2d 6600, and 2 gigs ,and the game would be looking just fine if those shadows can be removed somehow.

video mode: 1152*864

texture quallity: medium

render quallity: highest

view distance :9

detail distance: 100

shadows density: 10

SO wtf.

The game works fine for my taste: its playable ,20-25fps

And second thing that is really annoying is that loading of objects.Its ruinning the game tottaly with those shadows on bildings trees etc.

blure looks like a sh*t.

If anyone knows how to turn of shadows completley it would be a real help

Till we wait the patch and drivers from ati and nvidia, i will loose my will to play.

Did rockstar made this for only high end computers ????F....

I have everything on high, render very high, all details maxed and 1680x1050... And let me tell you what. IT IS STILL GRAINY!

I have a Intel 2 Quad Core 2.86ghz, 260 GT XXX (Overclocked by manifacturer), 4gb ram, vista 32bit...

Man, the shadows look like crap. They are worse than Sanandreas. And also, the fact that trees, bushes, grass, windows, everything get grainy when not looking directly at them or driving at high speeds... It's unforgivable. You all ask if someone has reported this to support? Well, I will. I will find out if there is a fix or if they are even bothering doing anything about it.

I payed more than 2300 US Dollars for my computer, and then i coughed up another 60 for this piece of god forgoten crrrrrrrap.

I really hope they will patch this game soon. If I werent so stupid I would have downloaded it from steam instead of bying a hardback copy from the store. I hear they are giving refunds for ppl who werent happy with the game... Rockstar should get this load of crap of the shelves and fix it before releasing it again. This is a disgrace, and betrayal to all PC gamers. This looks better on a friggin Xbox 360 for christ sake.

Get your sh*t together rockstar. You used to rock, but now you... Ye, you get the picture *hint hint*

foxfire29

Hiya unuinu,

Yeah thats exactly what I was getting although not nearly as bad now, what I did was applied the guide in the thread with the subject to the effect of "Sort all your GtA probs", so I followed those instructions but took -windowed out and set the resolution manually to 1280*1024

Also make sure your windows desktop is the same rez as the game. Not sure if that will help but things are a bit better for me now but Rockcrap needs to release a patch hehe

Psycold

Xp Sp3

Core2Duo 2.4gig

2gb of DDR2 @ 667mhz

320mb XFX 8800 GTS

and yes my shadows look horrific, looks like its very common among us 8800 owners.......

DrAgonLord2323

hey mate read my other post up there!!!!!!

i said i got the crappy shadows on high and low settings (and of course medium - duuhhh). so it doesnt matter. and again this is not just a shadow issue. if you look real good there are many "see-thru pixel objects" that look just as bugged as the shadows.

CukyDoh

There is no "fix" for the shadows. It's nothing to do with your settings, and nothing to do with your hardware. I can't be bothered typing all the details on it, but basically it's just some bad decisions on Rockstar's part regarding their shdow filtering method (rotated noise disc kernel pcf on shadow maps - if you're interested, go look it up) using a technique that really should only be used along with heavy blurring such as depth of field, in dark environments or in very high detailed "rough" and "bumpy" environments. It should not be used in large, empty, bland areas with shadow maps being stretched across half the level.

They chose this method because as you can optionally turn on with 'P', and was permenantly turned on with the consoles, a full-screen blur effect which in the case of the shadows removes nearly all the visible noise. Now personally I hate this, it just makes everything look blurry and nasty, however on consoles with their bad resolutions were forced to use it and had no say in the matter and probably couldn't tell that much. Rockstar ported the game with no thought to us maybe wanting higher resolutions, and probably not wanting a big blurry mess to look at.

It's never going to change is the bottom line, unless Rockstar feel like changing all their shaders and possibly their entire shadow mapping pipeline. Which considering the incredibly shoddy job of the prot, isn't going to happen. Rockstar have done such a ridiculously lazy job it's untrue.

Oh, and the alpha blended/tested objects are a seperate issue, again left in from the consoles where a full screen blur filter was forced, removing most of the scum now visible on your screen.

Edited by CukyDoh

Psycold
There is no "fix" for the shadows. It's nothing to do with your settings, and nothing to do with your hardware. I can't be bothered typing all the details on it, but basically it's just some bad decisions on Rockstar's part regarding their shdow filtering method (rotated noise disc kernel pcf on shadow maps - if you're interested, go look it up) using a technique that really should only be used along with heavy blurring such as depth of field, in dark environments or in very high detailed "rough" and "bumpy" environments. It should not be used in large, empty, bland areas with shadow maps being stretched across half the level.

They chose this method because as you can optionally turn on with 'P', and was permenantly turned on with the consoles, a full-screen blur effect which in the case of the shadows removes nearly all the visible noise. Now personally I hate this, it just makes everything look blurry and nasty, however on consoles with their bad resolutions were forced to use it and had no say in the matter and probably couldn't tell that much. Rockstar ported the game with no thought to us maybe wanting higher resolutions, and probably not wanting a big blurry mess to look at.

It's never going to change is the bottom line, unless Rockstar feel like changing all their shaders and possibly their entire shadow mapping pipeline. Which considering the incredibly shoddy job of the prot, isn't going to happen. Rockstar have done such a ridiculously lazy job it's untrue.

Oh, and the alpha blended/tested objects are a seperate issue, again left in from the consoles where a full screen blur filter was forced, removing most of the scum now visible on your screen.

I totally understand what you are saying, but how come I've seen a few screenshots where the shadows aren't all grainy and terrible? It seems that it is possible, but very uncommon.

CukyDoh

I totally understand what you are saying, but how come I've seen a few screenshots where the shadows aren't all grainy and terrible? It seems that it is possible, but very uncommon.

It might just be the case that you saw screenshots of pre-release builds with different shadowing techniques implemented (probably the least likely though as this is something that gets decided earlier in development as it can make pretty large architecture changes to your rendering pipelines), it could be a lower resolution shot with that nasty blurring on from the console versions (wouldn't be suprised to see someone talking about the PC version using a console screenshot), it could be pre-baked lighting on the map that you're confusing for a real-time shadow (easily done in a static screenshot, because theres no real way to tell!), in which case it wouldn't be subject to the same filtering techniques, the angle of the plane recieveing the shadow relative to the camera might have caused the shadow to look softer, and a similar effect can be obtained by the specific lighting, etc., and then a whole host of other reasons even as far as it being a "set up" shot by Rockstar with much higher settings than they could run the game reasonably with, and used purely for taking screens of the game never intended for players to use.

All those are more than possible, and highly likely in some cases, plus tonnes of other reasons, but it's highly unlikely you've seen anyone playing the PC release version of GTA IV if they didn't have those shadows, as that is just how the shaders are written and that doesn't change between users. There might be slight changes for efficiency, making use of functions only available on certain hardware and such, but ultimately it'll always use the same overall technique and give the same visual result.

Oh how I wish all this wasn't the case though sad.gif I hate the shadows in GTA IV!

Edited by CukyDoh

Psycold

It might just be the case that you saw screenshots of pre-release builds with different shadowing techniques implemented (probably the least likely though as this is something that gets decided earlier in development as it can make pretty large architecture changes to your rendering pipelines), it could be a lower resolution shot with that nasty blurring on from the console versions (wouldn't be suprised to see someone talking about the PC version using a console screenshot), it could be pre-baked lighting on the map that you're confusing for a real-time shadow (easily done in a static screenshot, because theres no real way to tell!), in which case it wouldn't be subject to the same filtering techniques, the angle of the plane recieveing the shadow relative to the camera might have caused the shadow to look softer, and a similar effect can be obtained by the specific lighting, etc., and then a whole host of other reasons even as far as it being a "set up" shot by Rockstar with much higher settings than they could run the game reasonably with, and used purely for taking screens of the game never intended for players to use.

All those are more than possible, and highly likely in some cases, plus tonnes of other reasons, but it's highly unlikely you've seen anyone playing the PC release version of GTA IV if they didn't have those shadows, as that is just how the shaders are written and that doesn't change between users. There might be slight changes for efficiency, making use of functions only available on certain hardware and such, but ultimately it'll always use the same overall technique and give the same visual result.

Oh how I wish all this wasn't the case though sad.gif I hate the shadows in GTA IV!

Well the screenshots I'm talking about were screens someone posted from in-game when Niko first walks outside of Roman's apartment. But I'm starting to think we both hate different things about the shadows lol.gif

What bugs me when I play is the shadows look super pixelated, I do notice the grain in between the square shadows that are cast by the subway tracks above Roman's place, and many other spots. This is also where I notice the pixelated looking areas, after finally turning off the graphic restrictions however, I messed with the settings a little more, and turned the shadow setting down to around 10 and they sharpened up a bit (Obviously, it should have been the opposite). I just feel like the game is being ruined by itself and is not living up to it's potential at all.

I was driving a motorboat under a huge bridge at night, and noticed the hundreds of blue lights on the bridge reflecting into the wavy ocean in front of me and I felt like that should have looked drop-dead gorgeous, but instead, I get pulled away from the immersiveness of the game when I notice the light's don't quite reflect how they should, and random objects start popping in and out.

I think that is what is so frustrating about this whole thing, they have the makings of the best game ever made for PC and (as a million people have said) they just completely dropped the ball. Even though I am one of the few that got it working, I almost don't want to play the story missions and ruin the experience of the story by wading through piles of bugs and an extreme amount of pop-in everytime I turn around to look at something.

Edited by Psycold

redriot

I would be happy with a "disable shadows" option. In the game, at night, no MS-Paint spray shadows visible, and not at rainy weather. There are darker and lighter areas, but not those rubbish shadows. It's fine.

The brighter the sunligth, the more crap shadows we have. Just give me the option to turn that sh*t off, and I'd be happy. I wouldn't bet 25c to that the lazy bunch at R* will completely re-program the whole shadow-filtering stuff. OK, don't do it, just put an ON/OFF switch to it! TY.

LOSEROCK

Damn Rockstar! I expected so much more from them...

I want someone to release a Limit Adjuster like the one Sacky released for San Andreas... That'll fix it.