Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,220 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

ZodiacKiller

All Controllers WORKING!

Question

ZodiacKiller

How to play GTA IV using your generic controller

A guide

This extremely simple guide will teach you how to emulate an xbox360 controller, because IV fully supports only that. Now, you can use any controller you wish, granted, it has directinput support. (unsure about wheel and pedals).

1) Download the following archive.

2) Unpack the xinput9_1_0.dll and the xbox360cemu.ini from the archive into your gta4 dir. Optionally, unpack XInputTest.exe to play with the button assignments.

3) Edit the .ini according to your personal controller, or however you may please. The .ini is initially set up to work 100% correctly with Logitech RumblePad 2.

4) Make sure there is no -directinput in your commandline.txt

Note: in order to understand how to edit key mappings, read the included readme.txt.

FAQ:

Q: Is my controller working with this hook?

A: If it supports directinput, it probably does.

Q: My xxx and xxx are reversed, what should I do? How do I fix it?

A: Edit the xbox360emu.ini and use the XInputTest.exe to test your changes - no need to load GTA4 to test whethere you've set up the controller correctly.

Q: My question is not in this FAQ!!

A: Read the readme.txt and the comments in xbox360emu.ini. If that does not answer your question, only then try to get help in this topic.

Last updated: March 7th, 2009.

DLL coding by Racer_S.

Guide by CatZilla.

Edited by DexX

1,083 answers to this question

certainkindofo

For those who still can't delete xinput9_1_0.dll after setting full admin privileges in vista. Here is a fix.

type 'cmd' in your search prompt. right click on the cmd icon and select, "run as administrator"

type "takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\XInput9_1_0.dll" in command prompt and press enter

type "cacls C:\Windows\System32\XInput9_1_0.dll /G nate:F" "my user name is nate, substitute yours there"

Now you'll be able to delete/rename/etc... to the file. This will work for all system files as well, with the appropriate substitutions.

XtremeDogg

by the way it worked for me, just the keys arnt mapped like the position of the xbox controll.. seems it runs smoother then with emulated software.

AussieDave27

Is there anyway to change the mapping because at the moment driving is with the R2 button which isn't a trigger (I have a Rumblepad 2) so it's all full throttle driving still. This would only be useful if you could drive with the analogue sticks.

phishinNYC
For those who still can't delete xinput9_1_0.dll after setting full admin privileges in vista. Here is a fix.

type 'cmd' in your search prompt. right click on the cmd icon and select, "run as administrator"

type "takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\XInput9_1_0.dll" in command prompt and press enter

type "cacls C:\Windows\System32\XInput9_1_0.dll /G nate:F" "my user name is nate, substitute yours there"

Now you'll be able to delete/rename/etc... to the file. This will work for all system files as well, with the appropriate substitutions.

you just solved one more of my problems...I couldn't touch that file on vista x64

THANKS!

Corgi

Will this work for Logitech G25 wheel??

catzilla

Why don't you try and tell us?

GTAander

Thanks very much, working for me with Vista64 ultimate. I have a thrustmaster firestorm dual analog. Cant seem to get left and right view panning to work with the mini stick though, up and down works.

borbs
Right, after many hours of shouting at the computer and getting alot angrier than I should have, I have managed to fully configure my ps3 controller to work 100% in GTA 4 using the awesome DLL's posted in this thread.

I will try and sort out some kind of blog or forum post to explain exactly what you need to do to get the PS3 controller working on the PC and with this game..

Fantastic to finally be able to play properly.

I still can't get over how good the graphics are on this version.. Blows the PS3 one away!! Awesome.

Hi m8! Can u share you're dlls?

hussam1988

thanks dude

you helped allot

RedEnd

Thanks man.

Think that a PSP as controller would be good?

catzilla

If it works as a regular controller - it should be fine.

borbs

Right, after many hours of shouting at the computer and getting alot angrier than I should have, I have managed to fully configure my ps3 controller to work 100% in GTA 4 using the awesome DLL's posted in this thread.

I will try and sort out some kind of blog or forum post to explain exactly what you need to do to get the PS3 controller working on the PC and with this game..

I still can't get over how good the graphics are on this version.. Blows the PS3 one away!! Awesome.

Never mind the dll's i ask u since my ps2 controller, with generic converter (Twin Digital GamePad), mappings are different from your ps3 controller, i guess. So im just looking forward for you to explain how you changed the mappings.

I've been using this (xbox360cemu.ini) to try to change the mappings but it doesn't work in game although it works in the test application XInputTest

More info on xbox360cemu here

Edited by borbs

Thiefyo

how can i make the game see my steering wheel and pedals cuz aint working for the moment after i finish the game i want to ride slwly in the city with my steering wheel is it possible?smile.gif

foxfire29

Hiya , I was initially rather annoyed when I found that in a PC port all they in their infinite wisdom decided to include support was for an Xbox pad! Being new to the forums I started a thread about this not realising it was in the wrong place and so the admin(correctly) locked it, however both the admin and one other helpful forum user provided links to this thread and one other and my pad is working! So big thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction.

I am about to see if I can still do the on foot running and shooting with my mouse and I hope the buttons are mapped ok to my PS 2 pad , however it is working

I cant believe how shaky a port this is, they really need to sort out the issues and fast as I have had all this lies with Spore

N.B if there is a way to get steering wheels working that would be awesome, I picked up a steering wheel cheap and it runs on most things

SlingShotUK

Never mind the dll's i ask u since my ps2 controller, with generic converter (Twin Digital GamePad), mappings are different from your ps3 controller, i guess. So im just looking forward for you to explain how you changed the mappings.

I've been using this (xbox360cemu.ini) to try to change the mappings but it doesn't work in game although it works in the test application XInputTest

More info on xbox360cemu here

Hi Borbs,

Unfortunately all my re-mappings were done using PPJoy - the program which is used by the PS3 controller software to configure a Windows controller. I didnt make any changes to the XBOX 360 emulator config.

I had a look at that config file but couldnt figure out what I would change the values to so stuck to just reconfiguring the windows controller settings.

foxfire29

Im going to aim to contribute something to this thread since it is a dam good one, basically the commands I list were confirmed not to work with vista but I got them to work and Im thinking its because people were not loding dos via CMD.exe in vista as that brings up like an admin dos or something.

N.b!! Btw I read the below commands of a web site to get around a pwermissions problem when trying to overwrite, I am not 100% sure of these commands and can only tell you they worked for me and without them I was blocked from overwritting dlls in my sys32 directory, so use at your own risk and for all I know this could cause future problems but just trying to help

Anyway if you get an error when you try to copy and paste the files similar to the following :

"You need permissions/administrator to perform this action" (Cant remember exact error)

So if you get the above in vista home premium do start->search-><type in cmd.exe>

Double click cmd.exe

You should get a CLI with yellow coloured fonts

Next type: "takeown /f c:\Windows\system32\xinp

ut1_1.dll"

Next you get a success msg

Next do: "cacls c:\Windows\system32\xinput1_1.dll /G <yourvistaloginname>:F"

which shows:

Are you sure (Y/N)?y

processed file: c:\Windows\system32\xinput1_1.dll

Repeat the above steps for all files in the system32 directory that match the name of those in the archive and then you will have permission to overwrite them without getting stopped by vista

Ok guys, I found a solution to simulating the xbox 360 controller with any generic controller. This makes use of analog sticks, so it's no longer binary driving which drives you all mad =)

First, back up the original xinput1_3.dll, xinput1_2.dll, xinput1_1.dll and xinput9_1_0.dll from your windows\system32

Next, unpack them into system32 from http://lcsteam.net/dump/gta4/XBOX.360.cont...r.emulation.zip

Fire up your game. It should recognize your third-party controller as an XBOX 360 controller.

This routine worked for me personally with my Logitech RumblePad 2 USB.

This is a bit of my research, but the original source is here.

Only one single minor problem - the key mapping is a tad different, at least in my case. Oh well. Doesn't take long to get used to.

*Edit* All cred to Catzilla....we are in his debt...

I might just go get a 360 controller even though i have a perfectly good Dual Shock, darn u M$

Siemah

Not working for me (Vista 64 Home), no change at all... Is a reboot required?

Atm I just use JoyToKey to setup the keys for driving, it's a lot easier than xPadder.

Download @ http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyTo...h%20Version.htm

Here's my config file: http://www.2shine.nl/post/GTA4%20JoyToKey%20config.zip

Btw, JoyToKey is also perfect if you want to play ancient games with a joypad wink.gif

And with a videoPlayer like BSPlayer (which has a lot of shortcuts) you can make your joypad a remote control biggrin.gif

hussam1988

i'm using logitech dualAction

it really sucks and inaccurate welling right and left

any body having trouble as well???

catzilla

For x64 systems, put the files into sysWOW64 or somewhere along those lines (there are 3 'system' folder in your windir).

Corgi
how can i make the game see my steering wheel and pedals cuz aint working for the moment after i finish the game i want to ride slwly in the city with my steering wheel is it possible?smile.gif

If you remember, San Andreas did not have the wheel and pedal compatibility either. Eventually after 1 year Toca Edit released a community made program called SAAC v1.0 (eventually v1.2) that could map steering wheel controls.

I know what you want to do because I'm trying to do the same thing. I think we have to say that at least for the next little while it will be impossible until a GTA4 edition of SAAC gets made.

The chance that Rockstar will add wheel and pedal support in the upcoming patch is very very slim.

This .dll swapping will not allow you to bind joystick functions to keys, but rather make your gamepad emulate the XBOX 360 gamepad - a lot of people are getting really cooky results with the button mappings being funny.

The only way you can use a wheel and pedal right now is if you have a Logitech wheel, you can force the controls in the profiler. However, if you do this, steering and pedal will still be binary so it won't be very good.... I just disabled it.. unplayable

catzilla

Well, couldn't you assign the wheel to the axis contols? This way it's not binary =)

vanmies

someone could configure the xbox360cemu.ini and get the right key mapping of ps3, xbox version?

Edited by vanmies

camdean
in other words, my USB pad works now, except the Z axis and Z rotation have been swapped.

Have you managed to fix this yet, I stood on my logitech pad last night and broke the dam thing lol !!!

I went to my local Game and bought a ps2 replica for £12, they didnt have any xbox pc ones in since last year apparantly, I wasnt up for spending more than £15 so near christmas anyway.

Now the right analouge stick has left and right to look up and down etc ..

EoE

Thanks! But I still can't delete the file. My username is my first and last name, and CMD can't seem to handle that. :-(

rgds/EoE

SlingShotUK

someone could configure the xbox360cemu.ini and get the right key mapping of ps3, xbox version?

i found this pic with the key mapping:

... picture removed ...

but i dont really understand how to configure it, no idea.

Hey there,

Have you got your PS3 controller working wirelessly with your PC?

I was able to 100% configure my wireless PS3 controller to work with GTA 4 using the 'Classic' control set.

It works just as it does on the PS3.

If you are using BtSix I can tell you what settings to configure PPJoy with to get it to work.

camdean

Can some kind steam user please post in this thread and ask a quick question ..

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...t=761887&page=2

I registered but I can't post.

Question: How exactly do I change my right analouge stick to swap the up/down - left/right axis with each other ?

When I go to look up I look left or right, when I look left I look up or down, it's realy confusing, thanks.

Oh, and thanks for this amazing fix guys smile.gif

GTAIV-Is-Crap

Worked no problem for me also on the - Logitech Dual Action USB icon14.gif

LentoMan
Can some kind steam user please post in this thread and ask a quick question ..

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...t=761887&page=2

I registered but I can't post.

Question: How exactly do I change my right analouge stick to swap the up/down - left/right axis with each other ?

When I go to look up I look left or right, when I look left I look up or down, it's realy confusing, thanks.

Oh, and thanks for this amazing fix guys smile.gif

I sent this in a pm to another member, he claims he didn't copy the xbox360cemu.ini, but only the .dll file. So I guess you should copy the xbox360cemu.ini to your windowsfolder and remap the buttons/axis accordingly.

Open the xbox360cemu.ini in your windows folder with notepad, you then have to swap the swap the two values for right analog

Right Analog X=3

Right Analog Y=-6

change to

Right Analog X=-6

Right Analog Y=3

If the any of the two axis is reversed just add or remove a minus -

Right Analog X=6

Right Analog Y=-3

Good luck, wink.gif

/LentoMan

Corgi
Well, couldn't you assign the wheel to the axis contols? This way it's not binary =)

That's not really how it works as far as I know.

I'm going to wait for the patch before I start playing around with this anyway.