4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Graphical Performance Readme

saberon

GTAMonkey2012

The "-restictrion" sh*t doesnt work.. it might for non steam users.. BUT NOT FOR STEAM I GUESS? but yeah. we are all f*cked and have to wait another year/month probably for this "miracle patch". are luck we get f*cked and have a dead ass game :S

Thanks, if you read my quote I mention this, dont use that flag but the rest may help, chill out.

f*ck Rockstars. I give them 2 weeks to fix this sh*t. When they don't then I will guarantee that their f*cking company will fall. And it will fall hard! I hope that there will be some big economy crash and they have to close all their studios. I just hate them right so much right now. First you great a perfect game for a console and you get PC users hyped promising that I will be released also on PC and it will look good on PC and It will run even on 2 years old PC. And then finally you release some sh*t what is poorly optimized and full of bugs and sh*t so 80% of the people can't run it. Seriously this is the first time ever when I'm seeing something like that. 3/4 of the people can't run the this game! That has to be the biggest bullsh*t ever happened in gaming industry. I just think that R* made so much money with their f*cking consoles version so they lost their motivations because money numbers took their reality away. I f*cking promise, when those guys wont fix this sh*t what they are done, I will make everything that is on my power that their company will be not survive. I can start to write bad things about them to everywhere(how they cant optimize the game, they are not keep their words) etc sh*t propaganda. That's how f*cking pissed and disappointed I am. So better get your little asses working in Rockstar Toronto and release some patches and hotfixes that will make this game to know how to use the computer resources correctly so we can run it normally. Right now even state of the art computers with 2GB of Video RAM, Extreme Quad CPU's and 6GB RAM guys are not able to play this game normally.

What a stupid jerk.. "You give them.." I mean at what point? LOL. Some estonian prick with sh*tloads of sh*t in his pants tells a huge company what to do... And NO, YOU WONT DO ANYTHING TO ROCKSTAR, you little kid... You can say anything whereever you want, and you will still remain the one, who was owned hard.. AND NO, IDIOT, ROCKSTAR IS NOT A sh*t, otherwise its you who stinks like sh*t, when you open your mouth...

SHUTUP IDIOT, dont say anything else asswipe, im starting to throw up as i read your "clever" posts

Well point is.. people waited for this.. AND I BOUGHT IT WAITING FOR IT GETING SOO EXCITED! FOR WHAT A FAILURE! + i get epic fail running on it.. i have more then needed to play... and f*cked up shadow blinking.. i knows it not computers it these dipsh*ts WE CALL ROCKSTAR!

f*ck Rockstars. .

What a stupid jerk.. "You give them.." I mean at what point? LOL. Some estonian prick with sh*tloads of sh*t in his pants tells a huge company what to do... And NO, YOU WONT DO ANYTHING TO ROCKSTAR, you little kid... You can say anything whereever you want, and you will still remain the one, who was owned hard.. AND NO, IDIOT, ROCKSTAR IS NOT A sh*t, otherwise its you who stinks like sh*t, when you open your mouth...

SHUTUP IDIOT, dont say anything else asswipe, im starting to throw up as i read your "clever" posts

lol

Edited by extender

Yeah. I think all what we should do is to write angry letter to the rockstar games and tell them how disappointed we are. They promised that this game will run perfectly fine even on 2 years old computers and it actully isnt. It isnt even running perfectly fine on Quad Cores and 280GTX etc GPU's. We should tell them that they have to release some kind of patch or hotfix within 2/3 weeks what will fix those kind of problems. Right now, GTA IV dont know how to use computer resources fully. They need to fix it as soon as possible. OR We will start to boycott their products and are gonna start anti-Rockstar games propaganda. Because that is the biggest let down ever right now, what happened in Gaming Industry! 80% people are not able to run this game normally. Total bullsh*t.

Low settings does not equal SA graphics...

Did you ppl even read what i wrote?

Do i have to repeat this? If low settings equals GTA 4 consoles graphics what would you expect? So you want a 5800GTX to run this game? And plus, your statistic of 80% of people now being able to run this game is utter crap!

ur blind or something? Where did i say something about 5800GTX biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif? What I except? Well my computer is 3x better than xbox360 so I'm waiting for it to run with 1280x1024 and medium details. When guys with 280GTX or with 2GB of GPU RAM are not able to run this game with 1280x1024 and max settings normally with normal FPS, then there has to be something wrong. It can't be ours fault. They can run it with max settings...

NO ONE is running this at full settings and you know it so cut the crap already

This is very good information. Now people can stop complaining about why there top end computers cant even run gta4 max graphics... Read it and weep

Are you BLIND??

No matter how high you make settings on GTA4 It looks like crap!!!! The game is poorly optimized.

THEN IT HAS NO SLI SUPPORT!

That is why people are angry.

Test drive unlimited looks better then this game AND runs way better!!!

Only difference you can't get out of the car and run around the street.

b) Its next-next gen *rolls eyes*

No, it's a next-gen port. We're currently in a Generation which allows medium settings. The next gen will allow high settings. Pretty clever if you ask me.

The problem is, PCs are a Generation above Consoles at the moment, but because of crappy coding (I guess), IV won't run to the full usability of PCs today, Minimum should be consoles, Medium should be above consoles and high should be Crysis-like if they Optimised it correctly.

So, you are saying PCs that run Crysis (not Warhead) In V.H would get as same setting in IV? I play Crysis at 1280X1024 no AA/AF and all V.H so I would get High in IV? (i care less about AA/AF)

just asking, i wont buy a game i can play on 800x600, the game will look sucking TF2 Heavy's ba**s..

Right now im a bit confused if i can run the game with my system (E4600, 8800GTS(750Mhz overclocked) , 2GB RAM) on a res higher than 800x600, if so im not buying it. (damn it! i upped my grades in school for this game! sad.gif)

The Horror Is Alive

I'm reconsidering getting this game. If my laptop runs Crysis on High at 10FPS, I wonder what sort of performance I'll get out of this piece of sh*t?

so they are calling a year old game a next gen?

btw, I really appreciate 7daysfull refund of EBGame NZ.

by the time the so called next gen computer pop up somewhere in the world, Niko will might have been traveling on the Flying Dutch Man for months

I haven't had the chance to play the PC port yet (the UK Steam download doesn't go up till midnight tonight), so I'm not gonna bother bitching about how badly it may or may not run, all I'm gonna say is that

- Making space for future machines is stupid. People don't spend ridiculous amounts of money on gaming PCs to not be able to run games maxed out. If people don't care about maxing out games then they buy a midrange machine, simple.

- 600MB for textures on high? Are they higher resolution than most people's desktops or something?

- Most people seem to be forgetting that these games are not meant to be played at higher than 30fps - the consoles run at 30, and the frame limiter on the previous GTA games locked them to 25 or 30 frames, but they still look really smooth. Now as I said I haven't had a chance to play this yet, but if you're hitting 30fps on whatever settings you're playing, I bet after half an hour you won't even notice that it's running slower than most other games.

Well, it makes sense to do something like that, but they seem to be saying it because it's optimized so poorly.

I told you people R* would screw up something over the specs. Very little believed, and many spit that back in my face, saying R* never makes a mistake! Well who's the bitch now???

I will say it again 'R* either gave the specs random or calculated them wrong!' and there was bound to be a mistake, immediately after it's launch.

Here's my theory

Those who upgraded their PCs to the requirement specs(or very similiar), got just f*cked.

While I was browsing many forums, I see people with dual cores bragging they're playing it on medium and put thousand of smiley faces on their posts.

So how can something go backwards?

People with dual cores enjoy it, while people with high end rigs(if tell correct), can't even enjoy it on medium?

R*, you never cease to amaze me! biggrin.gif

(But this time in backwards)

GTAMonkey2012

flag? what is a flag?

An older DOS term for flagging / adding extention commands to a process launched in DOS mode. A command that has sub modes it can run usning "-" or "/" after its execution name.

Sorry im older and that the term I use.

Alright, after a bit of observation, I have just one conclusion.

The game murders your CPU! Unlike Crysis or Far Cry 2, which are heavily GPU-oriented, GTA IV requires tons of CPU power. Normally, the CPU would stop being a bottleneck past 3.0 GHz, or even 2.6 (Core 2 Duo) in most games, if not all games. However, GTA IV would continue to gain frames well past 4.0 GHz, even on mainstream GPUs like the 9600 GT. Also, it will gain significantly from a Core 2 Quad.

The GPU is not the main thing in this game - it's the CPU. So you know where to put in your upgrades. I have been noticing that it's those with overclocked CPUs, mostly Core 2 Quads, which are playing the game without as much problems. Also, it's a heavy bottleneck for anyone running a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 3.0 GHz. I have also seen people reporting that their GPUs are not being utilized completely. nVidia users have reported lower temperatures on load (compared to other games) whereas ATI users using Rivatuner have provided conclusive evidence that the GPU Usage is not maxed out, as it should be. Plus, many have noted that increasing resolution/quality does not actually lead to lower FPS. All signs of a CPU bottleneck.

Now why GTA IV should require such abnormally high amount of CPU power? That is up for debate. Let's hope a patch fixes some of the problems. Also, nVidia and ATI can surely help with drivers.

The game murders your CPU! Unlike Crysis or Far Cry 2, which are heavily GPU-oriented, GTA IV requires tons of CPU power. Normally, the CPU would stop being a bottleneck past 3.0 GHz, or even 2.6 (Core 2 Duo) in most games, if not all games. However, GTA IV would continue to gain frames well past 4.0 GHz, even on mainstream GPUs like the 9600 GT. Also, it will gain significantly from a Core 2 Quad.

The GPU is not the main thing in this game - it's the CPU. So you know where to put in your upgrades. I have been noticing that it's those with overclocked CPUs, mostly Core 2 Quads, which are playing the game without as much problems. Also, it's a heavy bottleneck for anyone running a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 3.0 GHz. I have also seen people reporting that their GPUs are not being utilized completely. nVidia users have reported lower temperatures on load (compared to other games) whereas ATI users using Rivatuner have provided conclusive evidence that the GPU Usage is not maxed out, as it should be. Plus, many have noted that increasing resolution/quality does not actually lead to lower FPS. All signs of a CPU bottleneck.

Now why GTA IV should require such abnormally high amount of CPU power? That is up for debate. Let's hope a patch fixes some of the problems. Also, nVidia and ATI can surely help with drivers.

Well the shadow issue is definantely not a CPU problem. tounge.gif

And if what you're saying is right, I should be all set with my Core2Quad Q9550 @ 2.8ghz.

Well the shadow issue is definantely not a CPU problem. tounge.gif

And if what you're saying is right, I should be all set with my Core2Quad Q9550 @ 2.8ghz.

You would be all set at 4 cores running at 4.0 GHz. tounge.gif Seriously, it's ridiculously heavy on the CPU. I am sure a lot of these processing can be transferred to the GPU with way more efficiency (considering the faster Core 2 Quad is 12 times slower than a 4850 for specific stream processing). Once the CPU bottleneck is lifted, THEN your powerful GPU can help along. However, if you have a typical system - E8400 and 4850 - for example, you know what will affect your performance the most. You would be better off upgrading your CPU for a fast quad core.

As for the shadow problem, the thing is everyone is putting shadow density down to 2 or 0 and taking screencaps. Hence they seem scattered and incoherent. Some of the shots with shadow density at 10 or 15 looks just fine - much better than console shadows in fact. Not sure how much that affects FPS though.

No SLI support? No wonder all these people's mega-rigs aren't playing the game well. Well, I am getting this as an X-mas present, so hopefully by then a patch and some new video drivers will have solved some of the major problems. ph34r.gif

The game isn't locked at 30fps, many users have shown benchmarks hitting in the mid 40's. This would prove the 30fps lock outside thing false or no one would hit above 30 fps in the benchmark.

The game isn't locked at 30fps, many users have shown benchmarks hitting in the mid 40's. This would prove the 30fps lock outside thing false or no one would hit above 30 fps in the benchmark.

Looks like I am quoting you again! tounge.gif

Yup, there is most certainly not a lock. But a lock can be helpful. PC gamers have done this before - clamped FPS to gain in minimum FPS. Many of us have done this with Crysis, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 (it does away with the dreaded stuttering) etc. The idea being, if you clamp a game to 30-40 fps, the minimum fps will be much higher than a free performing game which would fluctuate between say 15-60. It is a practice that has helped a lot of us. Let's hope we can do this on GTA IV as well. I wish I could link you to an article on this, but I can't find it now.

Well time to say my opinion of gta 4 and here it is : KINDA sucks suicidal.gif

To think that i have waited 7 months, even bought a new pc, was thinking to buy even a console to play it.... well now i fell disapointed and i'm very glad that i didn't buy it yet, and im waiting for a proper crack to be made ( this game has the most ridiculos and complicated protection i've ever seen in a game lol and maybe its hard to crack but someone will succeed ) in the ideea that first i will see how it runs on my rig and then buy it but now i'm not so sure...

Many problems indeed with ATI cards SLI in nvidia and the fact the this is a "next-gen game" ( wich i find it a very funny thing lol the game is one year old and it can't be compared to crysis in terms of performance and grafix).

And this is the first time that i say this and i don't belive i DO say it : I think mafia 2 its gonna be much better than this. i've been always a gta fanboy and loved every single game ( especially san andreas my favorite game 'till now ).

Well not much to say now, hope my system can make it on low-medium with 1024X700 resolution...

Ohhh and R* do us all a favor and f*ck off with your crappy "next-gen" port. icon13.gif

EDIT: i also forgot to say that the games requierments are a piece of sh*t i mean even people with 4780 can't max it out properly and the hell my 8600 can ??

Edited by Jmenaru

The "only" downside I can find is the performance, other than that, I like it a LOT more than the previous GTA-games, so saying the game "sucks" isn't that fair.

my framerate stays the same as it is when on MINIMUM when i MAX it out, so It WILL work good. just not yet.... sad.gif

spaceeinstein

A few of you have to chill a bit. GTA has never been the best looking game. Even San Andreas doesn't utilize the PC well. Rockstar had always released a patch. I agree it's not fair to bash this game and Rockstar to death. There are people running the game at reasonable speed. And how many PC games out there uses the RAGE engine? Its difficult to make a new game work on all PCs.

A few of you have to chill a bit. GTA has never been the best looking game. Even San Andreas doesn't utilize the PC well. Rockstar had always released a patch. I agree it's not fair to bash this game and Rockstar to death. There are people running the game at reasonable speed. And how many PC games out there uses the RAGE engine? Its difficult to make a new game work on all PCs.

but it should NOT be difficult to make a game work on a high-end pc.

some of the quad core users with the best gfx cards money can buy are getting the same fps of a pc half the price. this is nothing to do with hardware. its a 360 game. any pc from the last 2 years should piss all over it. at least in low settings. My pc give the same fps in benchmark on max settings that it does on the lowest settings. go figure. this is BS, and cockstar need to fix it f*cking pronto.

some of the quad core users with the best gfx cards money can buy are getting the same fps of a pc half the price. this is nothing to do with hardware. its a 360 game. any pc from the last 2 years should piss all over it. at least in low settings. My pc give the same fps in benchmark on max settings that it does on the lowest settings. go figure. this is BS, and cockstar need to fix it f*cking pronto.

For the last time, Every PC GTA has had problems like this at launch and a quick patch fixed it, GTA III had the exact same problem with performance if I remember correctly.

with my nvidia 9600gt i cant put the render qualty on high it stays on medium but the texture quality can i put on verry high so my card is to weak ? with what kind of card can u put all settings at verry high without crashes or somting? or if i overclock my 9600gt is it then able to play it on higest settings ?

Seriously, this sort of nonsense is why I'll never be a PC gamer. I'd rather a game optimised to my system than worry it could look better on someone else's computer.

Today i get my pre-oreder GTA4 and want to say that the game really have big problems.Often crush without any reason and drop me back to my win desktop....And have problem whit video settings to adjust it right for my system.But after some try and tweak on video settings i manage to run game smooth and playable.This is my settings and Statistics from benchmark:

Statistics

Average FPS: 34.74

Duration: 37.57 sec

CPU Usage: 97%

System memory usage: 91%

Video memory usage: 94%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1280 x 720 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: Medium

Render Quality: Very High

View Distance: 25

Detail Distance: 25

Hardware

Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Video Driver version: 175.19

Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz

I must to say that there is no big difference between Render Quality: Very High and Render Quality:High .Also i tweak settings for the shadow and i understood that if i rise level of shadow game really go slow down and appear to have big lag.But on level 1 i dont have any problems.

Most users using current PC hardware as of December 2008 are advised to use medium graphics settings. Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available.

Bad idea ....

Who is interested how GTA IV runs in computers 2010. If they made it for "next generation"

computers they should have waited until then before releasing it. It is nothing but excuse.