Exotic Pets

kerouac.

Any folks out there keep company with less than usual animals? I've heard of people domesticating all sorts of ridiculous animals from octopi to lions.

I have two pet parakeets (budgies), they aren't quite that exotic but they're definitely an everyday household pet. I let them roam free in my apartment for the most part, they're amazingly intelligent little guys. Apparently you can teach them to mimic speech but I've had them for half a year now without so much as an intelligible squawk.

I've always wanted to have a chameleon, but sadly I don't know where to buy one.

My cousin has a capuchin tho. Cheeky bastard.

A friend of mine once owned an Iguana affectionately named "Chief", because it had some weird neck-thing going on and it looked like it had a Native American headband on. They're buggers to handle, feed, pet and keep happy in general, though they're an interesting animal. Always wanted to own a lizard of my own though.

[MenaceMovies]

I have a Bearded Dragon named Phoenix. We gave him the surname of Irwin (seeing as he is Australian) and in memory of the great man who died a few years ago, Steve Irwin.

' date='Nov 25 2008, 21:32'] I have a Bearded Dragon named Phoenix. We gave him the surname of Irwin (seeing as he is Australian) and in memory of the great man who died a few years ago, Steve Irwin.

Dude, you should have bought yourself a stingray.

I've always wanted to have a chameleon, but sadly I don't know where to buy one.

What's a capuchin, is that also a reptile?

I don't understand how people keep pets like Brazilian Centipedes, Tarantulas and the like.

Apparently octopi are very adept at escaping when they're in captivity, they can squeeze through the tiniest crack in their tanks.

[MenaceMovies]

What's a capuchin, is that also a reptile?

I don't understand how people keep pets like Brazilian Centipedes, Tarantulas and the like.

Apparently octopi are very adept at escaping when they're in captivity, they can squeeze through the tiniest crack in their tanks.

A Capuchin is a monkey:

user posted image

Are you f*cking sh*tting me? Your cousin owns a f*cking monkey?

I need to see pics of this, that is too rich.

' date='Nov 25 2008, 21:37'] That was harsh, Grishb confused.gif

It would have been if this was a Steve Irwin mourning topic, but it's not. And light-hearted jokes don't harm anyone. wink.gif

On topic, I have always wanted an Iguana. If I haven't heard wrong, I believe they are very adaptive which should mean they'll always keep coming back to you if you ever lose them, right?

Anyways, those darn things don't come cheap and you require some kind of license to have them as your pet...or so I hear.

I was walking in a park downtown one day last summer and there was this guy walking around with a Scarlet Macaw on his shoulder (they're the really big red, yellow and blue parrots from the Amazon). I couldn't believe it, he didn't have any restraints on it or anything, he was just casually walking around and feeding it peanuts.

Given that these birds cost about five grand I had to ask him if he was paranoid about it flying away. He explained that he got it's wings clipped and that he actually had a whole room set aside in his apartment just for the bird so it had some room to fly around. Even still, it seemed kind of cruel to give a bird with a four foot wing span an 300 sq ft (huge assumption here) room to get around.

Struff Bunstridge
' date='Nov 25 2008, 17:07'] That was harsh, Grishb confused.gif

What, too soon? C'mon, the guy went diving with things that could kill him and not even notice. He can't have any complaints.

I've never had anything more exotic than a hamster. It was boring, even by hamster standards. I'd quite like one of those monkeys though, like the dude from Friends had. Or maybe a rat; I'd train it to sit very still in my breast pocket, and take him to the pub and feed him peanuts.

Given that these birds cost about five grand I had to ask him if he was paranoid about it flying away. He explained that he got it's wings clipped and that he actually had a whole room set aside in his apartment just for the bird so it had some room to fly around. Even still, it seemed kind of cruel to give a bird with a four foot wing span an 300 sq ft (huge assumption here) room to get around.

But if he's clipped its wings, won't the poor bird not be able to fly at all? dontgetit.gif

I'd train it to sit very still in my breast pocket, and take him to the pub and feed him peanuts.

That's how the plague started you scoundrel!

Speaking of exotic birds, an elderly family friend was looking after a parrot for a couple she knew, which could speak a fair few words and dance when you said "dance, Bobby, dance!". The worrying thing was, you had to say it in such a tone that Boy George would to one of his many rentboy minions. I was always hopeful that the bird would give away some tantalizing affair secrets, but no joy.

And if a bird's wings are clipped, it limits flight as the bird is more baffled than anything. The bird would also be tagged I assume (can come with the clipping) so it could eventually be traced.

[MenaceMovies]
,Nov 25 2008, 21:37] That was harsh, Grishb confused.gif

It would have been if this was a Steve Irwin mourning topic, but it's not. And light-hearted jokes don't harm anyone. wink.gif

On topic, I have always wanted an Iguana. If I haven't heard wrong, I believe they are very adaptive which should mean they'll always keep coming back to you if you ever lose them, right?

Anyways, those darn things don't come cheap and you require some kind of license to have them as your pet...or so I hear.

No offense dude, but that wasn't a light hearted joke. Joking about someones death isn't very nice. How would you like it if people made fun out of the way a person you know, died? Common man, you should know better, give the guy some respect confused.gif

Struff Bunstridge
' date='Nov 25 2008, 17:38'] How would you like it if people made fun out of the way a person you know, died?

Are you saying you know Steve Irwin? Where the hell were you, man?

' date='Nov 25 2008, 16:38'] No offense dude, but that wasn't a light hearted joke. Joking about someones death isn't very nice. How would you like it if people made fun out of the way a person you know, died? Common man, you should know better, give the guy some respect confused.gif

What was Steve Irwins favourite musician?

Sting.

Oh ha ha.

Dont take jokes so seriously, I liked him on the show he had, poking snakes and stuff, it was entertaining. Doesnt mean I cant make a joke about him.

On topic, I would like a monkey like Struff mentioned from Friends. Although it looks good on TV it would take a lot of looking after and cleaning up after.

,Nov 25 2008, 08:38]
,Nov 25 2008, 21:37] That was harsh, Grishb confused.gif

No offense dude, but that wasn't a light hearted joke. Joking about someones death isn't very nice. How would you like it if people made fun out of the way a person you know, died? Common man, you should know better, give the guy some respect confused.gif

I don't know; if your job is to f*ck with animals, then it is pretty funny if one kills you. Kinda like if Bear Grylls dies by leaping into a volcano, if if Johnny Knoxville died from an m-80 shoved up his ass.

@ topic - I'm totally into aquariums these days. For the most part, my fish are pretty common. I've got a pair of breeding Ancistrus, though, who are awesome (like, 40 babies so far) and three wicked crystal red shrimp. Soon to get a dwarf puffer.

But if he's clipped its wings, won't the poor bird not be able to fly at all? dontgetit.gif

Nope, they just fail at flying with clipped wings, fly a few feet and crash.

A guy I work with used to sell sugar gliders. Probably sold other animals too, but as long as I've known him he only had sugar gliders.

I'd love to have a monkey assuming it wouldn't be constantly digging through sh*t and making a mess.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

I'd like a Flamingo, but I'm not sure thats even legal.

o6ifrl.png
Dreaming of California, where the sun never sets.

Do you have to keep a sugar glider in some sort of cage, or can it run around free? Cute litter buggers.

I have a baby alligator that is about a foot long.All he does is hiss and eat.

Like an in law?

Edited by Gamernotnerd

Potato Boggle

Like an in law?

You know it. It bit me last night.It didn't hurt but it scared the crap out of me. Now I can say I got bit by an alligator and lived.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

How about Praying Mantis?

Do they count?

...It has been awhile but I should order some more. icon14.gif

Effy in Chains

I almost bought i snake once, but they said i had to buy one of their really small glass tanks which cost £50 or i wouldn't be allowed to buy the snake. And becuase i already had a way bigger tank at home and becuase the £50 for the terrible small tank was more than the price of the snake, i didn't buy it.

Zs936OL.gif

Like an in law?

You know it. It bit me last night.It didn't hurt but it scared the crap out of me. Now I can say I got bit by an alligator and lived.

Yeah, call the local newspaper. They have nothing to print.

GTA3Freak-2001

Well I've got three pet rats, maybe not exotic but a bit more unusual then your cats and dogs.

What I'd like is a Ferret but I've heard they are quite aggressive and can be quite hard to train so I might stick to rats.