3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

X2 6000 or Phenom 8450

BAMJ6

I am 2 weeks away from buying the barebone but it feels much closer now that i sold the PS3 version of the game. Because it's primarily a GTA 4 motivated upgrade which should i get

The X2 6000, or the Phenom 8450

1 keeps my barebone price under $200 and adds 600 mhz and 1 core to my overclocked 3500, the other is 100 mhz away from stock speed of my 3500 but there's 2 extra cores, not to mention that it's the recommended GTA 4 processor from AMD.

I would go with the X2 6000. You'll get better performance with that one over the Phenom because the Phenom has a lower frequency and triple or more cores are only really good when doing graphical work, not exactly with gaming, just yet. Nothing has really taken advantage of more cores as of this time.

What, you're buying an entire package? You should go for something like an Intel E7200 instead.

The only ones I would recommend AMD to today are the ones who already have an AM2 motherboard and want to upgrade.

What, you're buying an entire package? You should go for something like an Intel E7200 instead.

The only ones I would recommend AMD to today are the ones who already have an AM2 motherboard and want to upgrade.

Is that an i7 die pic in your sig?

Is motherboard an AM2 or AM2+ socket?

If it's AM2+, I would go with the Phenom. It might have a slower clock speed, but it has better caching, as well as a much larger L3 cache ( which the Athlon does not even have ). 400 Mhz is not going to make that much difference in the long run, and Phenoms can OC to 3.0 Ghz on stock cooling anyway.

If it is an AM2 board, you probably should get an AM2+ instead if your budget allows it. When the new Phenom II comes out, you should be able to upgrade to that when you want to. However, if you just want to save money now, then get the Athlon for an AM2. AM2 will not utilize the full potential of the Phenom, so it would kind of be like wasting money; not to mention, you'll likely need to flash your BIOS for Phenom support on an AM2 board.

I would probably go with Intel too if I was using this for a gaming rig. For a guy like me that does mostly desktop computing, the performance difference between Intel and AMD is negligible. However, for a gamer, I would consider Intel to be the only way to go. A lot of these difference in processor performance only really show themselves in frames per second.

In other words...

AMD for desktop computing, Intel for gaming.

In other words...

Ehh ... I wouldn't say that. Intel is on top of AMD right now, so if you have the choice between the two, I would definitely go for Intel. But, AMD is a good gaming CPU, of course, depending on what you get.

I've used AMD for years and have been pretty satisfied with the performance. Though, this coming Christmas, I am switching over to Intel by getting an Intel board and a quad core. It just seems to be the right choice right now. Maybe a year ago, if I was in the same position, I would go AMD, but Intel looks promising right now.

So yeah, if you have the choice between Intel or AMD, go Intel right now. I just personally wouldn't say AMD is for office and Intel is for gaming.

I still stand to what I said before by getting the X2 6000 over the Phenom. Even with more cache, you wouldn't notice much of a performance difference when gaming as you would with a game taking advantage of the two cores at a higher clock speed, or even overclocked obviously.

Edited by Vicehog

I've used AMD ever since the Socket A Athlons, and now I've gone Intel (yeah Sag, that's a Nehalem in my sig, and this is mine wink.gif).

Basically, even at high resolutions where games are traditionally GPU-limited, you get a difference in FPS between the new AMDs and the new Intels. AMD lost the ball a couple of years ago and I don't see any reason to reward them by buying their uncompetitive bits, especially not if you're gonna play games with said PC.

In other words...

Ehh ... I wouldn't say that. Intel is on top of AMD right now, so if you have the choice between the two, I would definitely go for Intel. But, AMD is a good gaming CPU, of course, depending on what you get.

I've used AMD for years and have been pretty satisfied with the performance. Though, this coming Christmas, I am switching over to Intel by getting an Intel board and a quad core. It just seems to be the right choice right now. Maybe a year ago, if I was in the same position, I would go AMD, but Intel looks promising right now.

So yeah, if you have the choice between Intel or AMD, go Intel right now. I just personally wouldn't say AMD is for office and Intel is for gaming.

I still stand to what I said before by getting the X2 6000 over the Phenom. Even with more cache, you wouldn't notice much of a performance difference when gaming as you would with a game taking advantage of the two cores at a higher clock speed, or even overclocked obviously.

Well, my point was really that the only reason to choose AMD now is if you're not going to be doing any gaming. I mean, I suppose they might still do well in that arena, but as far as basic desktop computing goes--even video and audio encoding--the differences in performance are negligible compared to the differences in price.

Example

I got my AMD Phenom X4 9950 BE for $185 ( DOA, still waiting for thew new one haha ), which stacks up against the Core 2 Quad Q660 that retails for around $250. From the benchmarks I've seen, the only place these two chips aren't neck-to-neck at is in gaming, and even then the Phenom isn't far behind. Then watch what happens when you turn the clock on the Q6600 up a little.

When you think about it in terms of, "How many seconds faster is LAME going to encode this mp3?" it doesn't make a lot of sense to go Intel over AMD in my opinion. I think AMD has a steadier, clearer upgrade path, and their prices are really nice on the wallet. To me it seems like the performance differences really only express themselves in things like gaming or high def video, where video fame rate is everything, and the slight performance difference actually makes a noticeable difference.

In any case, I've consistently choosen AMD because they cost less and I don't really game. I got my Athlon X2 4000+ for $65, and it's perfectly capable of running my computer for what I need. The big reason I'm even upgrading to AM2+ is for a better upgrade path to deneb later.

I was almost going to go with Intel in this most recent purchase, but I was looking at the Q6600, and it was pushing my budget up just a little too much. I went with the 9950 BE and a DFI LP JR 790GX-M2RS instead, so I'll have to wait until I get my "good" 9950 chip to tell you how it is.